Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought the Skins played well or am I missing something?

Tomel

Easy trigger, don't go assuming we all share your opinion... I COMPLETELY disagree. I've watched it twice, and our starting units went toe to toe with a certified Super Bowl contender this year. I think we absolutely looked like a playoff team, and had this been a meaningful game, I think it had all the makings of a grind it out hard nosed 13-10 victory by whatever team makes the last play. So in MY opinion, I was overly pleased by the performance and think we absolutely looked like a playoff team that can beat ANYONE on any given day.

I know that both teams went toe to toe. I just don't think either team looked great in the first half. For example, the Ravens have problems in their secondary at the moment and it showed. They allowed McNabb to pass for over 200 yards in 30 minutes of football. It should have been more but the Redskins weren't sharp either. If we were, we would have made them pay for their mistakes by putting points on the board. There were too many dropped passes and some passes were a little off the mark.

I'm not saying that the Ravens (or Redskins) will be out of the playoff picture come January. There were definitely some encouraging things and this is the time to correct mistakes. I just think the starting squads for both teams were a little too up and down that night. You can't play like that and consider yourself a team that can beat ANYONE on any given day.

Wow stevemcqueen, I'm stunned with how negative you are. I love reading your posts on college prospects and appreciate the insight you provide in that area, but I would have never guessed you were such a negative fan.

You just keep shooting down every positive post and focus on the negative aspect. Yes, the pass protection was struggling and the running game was non-existent, but despite these faults, we still moved the ball against their first D.

Then on the other side of the ball, their first O wasn't doing anything to us. All offseason, we keep hearing how Baltimore's now an offensive power with a young QB and plenty of weapons. Well that great offense really struggled against our starting D.

In my opinion, it was basically a push when both teams starters were out there. How is that not a positive thing considering the Ravens are "superbowl contenders".

And this beatdown you keep referring to.....as many posters have stated, their backups outperformed our backups. That is not the end of the world considering many of the players will be out of the league in a few weeks.

I'm not saying that your concerns aren't valid. We need work in multiple areas as many teams do at this time of the year. But arguing that there were no positives in this game is also flawed IMO.

I would be interested to hear stevemqueen and Ryman of the North actually go on record with how many wins we'll see this year.

I also find it funny that some of the most notorious negative posters over the past several years (myself included) are pretty much united in that we see a much different team, and we finally have reason to be optimistic.

we scored 3 points. more importantly our new Oline didnt look very good against a real defence, our new stud QB didnt score any points and one of our two vet Rbs looked really bad. I guess we will see by the time the aseason rolls around

Nobody wants the truth.

I want us to be better than just OK for a change. I'm tired of accepting "well enough."

Fair enough.

But we should factor in several things.

First and foremost the man on offense who will have the biggest impact on how good or not we are (McNabb) looked good and beyond that appeared to still be the playmaker he was in Philadelphia.

Second our LT is a rookie and our RT played in his first game in a year or so. Both should get better.

Third our starting running back wasn't playing much. CP will provide much more to this offense than slow and no power Larry did.

Again I see where you're coming from and it's a fair point but I'm going to stick with the positive stuff for now.

I would be interested to hear stevemqueen and Ryman of the North actually go on record with how many wins we'll see this year.

I also find it funny that some of the most notorious negative posters over the past several years (myself included) are pretty much united in that we see a much different team, and we finally have reason to be optimistic.

I actually find the juxtaposition quite amusing as well, I am used to being the pollyanna arguing with the negative nancies every offseason (except for the Oline ive always thought we were overrated.), however I just cant see where we made any major improvements that werent balanced out by other negative moves. we made over this offence and i think against weak teams we will be very good but against decent teams we will struggle (thats better than last season when we struggled against everyone but its not that much better) balance that with the D that I think went from being solid and having huge potential to being crapulent and not likely to get much better without serious tweaks.

I think we will win 4-5 games, maybe 6-7 if Mcrapp plays much better than I expect, but I also think that next year unless we make MAJOR UPGRADES we go perhaps 6-7 wins again and to me thats just not enough. Im tired of mediocrity.

Wow Ryman, I'm surprised at your outlook.

I'm pretty far from crowning this current squad, and I'll be the first to admit we have some holes. But I think back to last year and that absolute BOZO on our sideline and that bozo behind center, and realize that if they were able to win 4 games (or was it 5? Christ, I don't even know)... then the current squad is good for at least 8.

Of course, our schedule this year is tougher. Not that it really matters, we effing lost to the Lions last year.

I actually find the juxtaposition quite amusing as well, I am used to being the pollyanna arguing with the negative nancies every offseason (except for the Oline ive always thought we were overrated.), however I just cant see where we made any major improvements that werent balanced out by other negative moves. we made over this offence and i think against weak teams we will be very good but against decent teams we will struggle (thats better than last season when we struggled against everyone but its not that much better) balance that with the D that I think went from being solid and having huge potential to being crapulent and not likely to get much better without serious tweaks.

I think we will win 4-5 games, maybe 6-7 if Mcrapp plays much better than I expect, but I also think that next year unless we make MAJOR UPGRADES we go perhaps 6-7 wins again and to me thats just not enough. Im tired of mediocrity.

ya... i am in a wait and see mode with all the changes myself...

Wow Ryman, I'm surprised at your outlook.

I'm pretty far from crowning this current squad, and I'll be the first to admit we have some holes. But I think back to last year and that absolute BOZO on our sideline and that bozo behind center, and realize that if they were able to win 4 games (or was it 5? Christ, I don't even know)... then the current squad is good for at least 8.

Of course, our schedule this year is tougher. Not that it really matters, we effing lost to the Lions last year.

heres my take

we won 4 games last year despite a terrible terrible offence and a passive defence, however we imporved the O we also made our worse to about the same level. so its a wash.

schedules tougher not a little tougher but way tougher.

the Offence seems like they should move the ball a bit better or at least in spurts and big plays against weaker defences some of which will score but Mcnabb has been uneven his whole career and now with this swap to a 3-4 he doesnt have a great D to bail him out. our new 3-4 looks terrible as in really bad terrible.

our Running game looks ok, not great and our Oline has as many questions as answers.

Our receivers are dropping balls, something that plagued us for a while and hasnt gotten better despite us siging a so called franchise QB.

Our defence looks terrible, yeah we got a couple turnovers but in exchange we cant stop anyone.

Mcnabb is already dinged up after 2 preseason games. he is a shell of his former abilities and despite the talk about old qbs, scrambling QB's rarely become more effective as they age.

Our defence looks terrible, yeah we got a couple turnovers but in exchange we cant stop anyone.

How do you get that out of 2 preseason games where our starting defense has given up 16 points and only 1 TD that came on a fake punt that set up the Ravens offense inside the 5?

Can you all accept the fact that the preseason means absolutely nothing... players are not fully motivated, coaches holding back, etc.

None of this means anything. The only game that we can really get something out of is this upcoming one against the jets because i expect the starters to get a long look in this game before probably not playing at all in the 4th preseason game.

Just like baseball stats you need sample size. Some of you are judging this team on like a quarter and a half of play total.

Week 1 is will give us a better idea, even then got to wait a couple of weeks to really see what you have.

Just hope to stay healthy

The Broncos' defense gave up 448 points, third worst in the NFL, including 112 during the three-game collapse at the end. It was ranked 29th in yards allowed and tied for last in the NFL with a minus-17 turnover margin.

that was the team Shanny last coached, do you see any parallels?

i fail to see how that is relevant at all?

if he were to have gone to the jets should we have assumed that the jets D would be terrible that shannahan had arrived?

so unless we have the same players the broncos did, then what u posted is a historical stat with no relevance to now

alowing 8ypc would seem to be the answer.

Wow .... that is really misrepresenting the facts . This is like the Cowboys saying how much of a monster Choice is because of his 3-5 carries a game .

The D in 2009 was not solid it was stiff . It broke, really broke last season at the least pressure like giving up an 11 point lead against the Eagles in less than a quarter .

The 3-4 is a work in progress and will get better but it is not sucking right now. 3-3 against the starters who count . Oh and 8ypc is crap . Take out the fake punt and the ypc for the entire team falls to 3.3 ypc and less than 100yards in 4 quarters ..

In fact the Ravens best rusher was T.Smith the 3rd QB ...you think that is representative of a real game situation ....

I'd like to wait until the preseason is over and we see who makes the team, but right now I'd put the over/under on wins for us around 7 or 7.5 and take the under, and I doubt I'd change that number. I think we were a little better than our 4-12 record last year, and the team is a couple of wins better this year than it was last year. I expect the offense to be much better and the defense to be worse, but not completely offsetting the gains made by the offense from adding a top notch OC in Kyle Shanahan and a bit more talent on the offensive line. The schedule isn't terrible since we get a few of the really difficult non division games at home. But it would seem all of our division rivals improved this offseason too and we're in a brutal division that stifles gain.

I don't see us winning more than 8 games, and 9 at the very most because we are not a talented team. We've only got three former All-Pro players on the roster and one of them (the most recent one) is languishing on the second string and embroiled in a pissing contest with our HC. We'll also probably field the oldest roster in the NFL so I wouldn't expect things to change too quickly unless the powers that be can wrangle up 5 or 6 more draft picks in the next two offseasons.

So here's my prediction: 7 wins, 4th in the division, and a draft pick in the early teens.

Edit: Actually it's four former All-Pro players if you count Larry Johnson...

i fail to see how that is relevant at all?

if he were to have gone to the jets should we have assumed that the jets D would be terrible that shannahan had arrived?

so unless we have the same players the broncos did, then what u posted is a historical stat with no relevance to now

Its relevant because someone else just said that Shannahan should be allowed to pick the defence based on his succsess with the broncos. I am just reminding people that while Mike is a brilliant offencive mind, he is not bright when it comes to defence.

Wow .... that is really misrepresenting the facts . This is like the Cowboys saying how much of a monster Choice is because of his 3-5 carries a game .

The D was not solid it was stiff . It broke, really broke last season at the least pressure like giving up an 11 point lead against the Eagles in less than a quarter .

The 3-4 is a work in progress and will get better but it is not sucking right now. 3-3 against the starters who count . Oh and 8ypc is crap . Take out the fake punt and the ypc for the entire team falls to 3.3 ypc and less than 100yards in 4 quarters ..

In fact the Ravens best rusher was T.Smith the 3rd QB ...you think that is representative of a real game situation ....

quoting last years defence when talking about record is somewhat dishonest, when you look at our team you can easily see that last years defence wins at least 10 -11 games if we can score more than 21 points a game and takes us to playoffs easily if we score 28.

I think that when we play starters its gonna get worse not better. but as I said earlier, we need to see both teams at full on before we make the call, I just think we should plan ahead for an obvious fail.

Archived