Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Well that was ****. No complaints here, got what they deserved....of the manager did.

Decent second round tie but then France in the quarters. That should be fun.

When Roy finally leaves the England job, tonight's game will be the reason in my opinion.

Probably gets Wales to the semi finals that.

If you even reach France. NO excuses for that. Even with the changes the XI out there were piss poor. And against a horrid Slovakia side that had little intention of going forward and gave you one of the easiest Internationals you could wish for. 

Congratulations anyways. I had you home before Wimbledon starts, which could still well happen. But I had you going out of the groups. Which may well of happened but for the injury time winner last time out. 

So you've out performed what I expected. Well done. I got that one wrong. 

Hail. 

England is just terrible at world tournaments. No real creativity on the offensive end and their pace at the final third is too slow. Now Italia.... They will be in the final.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree. But not this Italy side. Conte's Italy is especially poor. 

All things being equal Germany should put paid to Italy the quarters. 

Hail. 

England is just terrible at world tournaments. No real creativity on the offensive end and their pace at the final third is too slow. Now Italia.... They will be in the final.

Could be Italy/Germany and France/England or Portugal quarters in that side of the draw, won't be easy.

Slow and Italy are synonomous in football, Zaz.

But the Italians know how to play in tournaments.

• Like 1

Slow and Italy are synonomous in football, Zaz.

But the Italians know how to play in tournaments.

Oh I know, defense and counter attack is our specialty :). GiGi has been playing for the national team for as long as I can remember, he was the keeper on the FIFA Genesis games I used to play with friends. Going to be a sad day when he is gone.

What I meant was when playing a team that is sitting back and defending all day, you have to play 1-2 touch to break them. England's attackers are taking 5-6 touches trying to create and by that time the defense is in their shape and they aren't getting through.

Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 1

Alright... I have to ask the thread reggies.

Does ANYONE give the US a chance tomorrow night?

No. Speaking of slow pace, watching the power teams in euro and then watching the US is like watching soccer being played underwater. For the US to have a chance, they will need to play basically 10-11 behind the ball and counter attack but I don't see it happening. US soccer has taken a huge leap since the 90s, but with our best athletes playing other sports I don't think the US will ever break through on the World stage as it stands now. Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 1

Alright... I have to ask the thread reggies.

Does ANYONE give the US a chance tomorrow night?

No, Messi will be dining in our midfield after Michael Bradley presents him with turnover after juicy turnover. Possession imbalance might hit 30-70.

Our best hope is if choker-Higuain shows up and Tata Martino forgets he has Messi and funnels everything down the left side (cue angry Barca fans).

with our best athletes playing other sports

http://grantland.com/features/deandre-yedlin-world-cup-2014-newfound-fame-transfer-to-european-club-mls-soccer/

Today, it’s easy to look at Yedlin — 5-foot-8 and thick-chested, and able to outrun the best soccer players in the world — and imagine him on an NFL roster. He could be Darren Sproles, leaving linebackers grasping at air, or he could be Tyrann Mathieu, another Mohawked terror with a knack for separating offensive players from the ball. In college, Yedlin was clocked at about 4.2 seconds in the 40-yard dash. And, says his college coach, Caleb Porter, “It’s about a lot more than top-end speed. It’s his burst, his ability to go from a jog to a sprint before you even realize what has just happened.” His athleticism, Porter says, “is truly world-class.”

It would have made sense for Yedlin to play football. He inhabits a cornerback’s body in an age when cornerbacks can command $70 million contracts. He grew up in a city that became home to Richard Sherman, one of the best and highest-paid corners in the NFL. Almost as soon as a young athlete hits puberty, the American sports industry offers him incentives to star in football, basketball, or baseball. If you’re a physically gifted American teenager with American friends consuming American media, chances are you don’t consider soccer your best option for a career in sports.

Note: Yedlin isn't a good player.

• Like 2

Could be Italy/Germany and France/England or Portugal quarters in that side of the draw, won't be easy.

The only team that really breaks our defense consistantly is Spain because they have the players to play 1-2 in the offensive end. Other than them, I'll take our chances against Germany/France playing the typical boring all out defense and counter attack when opportunities present themselves. Maybe a dive in the box for a penalty ;). Def won't be the favorite, but Italy can beat those teams.

No. Speaking of slow pace, watching the power teams in euro and then watching the US is like watching soccer being played underwater. For the US to have a chance, they will need to play basically 10-11 behind the ball and counter attack but I don't see it happening. US soccer has taken a huge leap since the 90s, but with our best athletes playing other sports I don't think the US will ever break through on the World stage as it stands now.

That's about what I think, it'd take a heroic effort the likes of Howard vs Belgium, but from about 5 different players and we'd have to sit and then pounce on a counter.

Really curious to see the 11.

Yedlin

Not a fan.  At all.

I was REALLY high on him a couple of years ago, and even last year I tuned into some Sunderland games just to watch him (which is difficult to do).  He just hasn't matured at all.

Argentina could all go down with food poisoning over night. That would give you a chance right?

Hail. 

Not sure food poisoning would do the trick, tbh.

A few players could take **** breaks and you wouldn't notice much with Bradley in there.

Looks like Karius won't be called up for the Olympics. 

The great International news just keeps getting better and better. 

Good news for #LFC. Karius no longer expected to miss start of season due to Olympics http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-confident-goalkeeper-loris-karius-11500807#ICID=sharebar_twitter 

73 retweets95 likes

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

We also had:

prime Tim Howard at keeper

young hungry Jozy and healthy Charlie Davies ( :() at forward

prime Landon Donovan, young hungry Bradley, and young Dempsey in midfield and wings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA_Confederations_Cup_knockout_stage#Spain_v_United_States

the cupboard is considerably more bare this time around

Oh I'm sure at the time you were thinking that our cupboard was full due to the players you mentioned and were not surprised at all by the win.

We also didn't stand a chance against Spain. 2-0. It's ludicrous to say we have no chance. If you argue that we have 1% chance to win I won't argue. But definitely not 0. We have done it before.

It's sports, of course there's a chance.. I think their attitude is right about not playing intimidated. There are lots of upsets in sports. It's a long shot.

England didn't look like they had a plan today.