Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

thought that was a pretty good result with such a short time with the club against a team that's killed it in the premier league for the last several weeks.

Not to mention, anytime you trot Origi out there it's nerve racking... but guess what... he didn't look awful.  He actually looked pretty good for me.  Obviously the finishing needs to improve but he held the ball up well and won a couple of free kicks.  Definitely not bad as a center forward.

The pressing was excellent when it was on, where we lack right now is what to do with the ball when we get it off that press.  That'll come with more reps in practice and in games (and more skill in there as well - Benteke/Sturridge/Firmino, etc).

I would have brought Ibe in a little sooner, Spurs didn't really have an answer for him playing that deep off of Origi and I thought he could've changed the game a bit.

Pretty happy with what I saw today.  Need to build on it.

Something tells me sleep 'aint happening tonight. 

This has been a LONG 10 day wait. Like the preverbal kid at Christmas hyper with excitement. 

Jurgen frigging Klopp about to lead the mighty reds into battle. It starts here!

Hail. 

I was up until 3 am... I'm sitting on the couch staring at the tv and the wife comes out and says "are you okay"... I said "no... I'm can't sleep and now I'm worried I'll sleep through the first half of the match, it starts in 4 hours" :lol:

So much coffee right now.  Little man's game starts in two hours as well so it's not bad to be DC9 today :)

First half has done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm. Poor luck on the Origi header.

Only negative is Kane owning Skrtel. Boys look as though they're playing with MUCH more energy!

That effort was fantastic wasn't it?  Every player was playing their ass off and feeding of Jurgen.

Skrtel turned it around a bit in the 2nd half and how good was Sakho today?

• Like 2

Sahko isn't the best, but never seems to get flustered, and generally makes the solid play. Far better than Skrtel today, Sahko plays the ball cleanly from the back to get things started.

Origi was solid, thankfully, as he was it. Moreno needs to step it up, or we'll be wringing our hands wishing Gomez hadn't fallen. Left back in January maybe?

Also, look what this manager means to the players...

Dave O’Connell @DaveOCKOP 21s21 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA

CRhoG2rWsAA03yU.jpg

Origi was solid, thankfully, as he was it. Moreno needs to step it up, or we'll be wringing our hands wishing Gomez hadn't fallen. Left back in January maybe?

I don't know man... Moreno was one of the best players on the pitch today in my opinion.  He's asked to go box to box as a fullback in this system, which is why it was important to have Lucas out there.

Sakho saved a goal for us today with that block, too.

Skrtel's still a solid defender but he's lost a step.  Gomez won't be a fullback in Klopp's system.  He'll either be a CB or a defense mid.

Not read through the thread yet but mightly impressed by today's first outing. When was the last time we looked as organised, solid and hard working as that? If he can get that from three days work,what will he do the next time down here in two more weeks at Chelsea? If we'd of had any semblance of a striker we could well of won that. Sakho, Skrtel and Lucas were outstanding. Lallana showed why he won't last as he can't go more than 60/70 minutes. Mingolet made some great saves. And it wasn't as if Tottenham ripped through us. They came off mistakes and bounces off our players. Not a bad performance out there. Yeah, the quality could of been better. But that was with 8 missing. no forwards, (Origi tried but he's too lightweight and is what he is); and 3 days work with the full squad.

Much rather a game like that were you can see serious positives rather than playing utter wank and scrapping a 1-0 win. The only down side was the Klopp songs. The 'live is life' was sung too fast. And the agadoo one is just ****e and highly embarrassing.

All round a very good first game. Loved him stood the edge of the pitch most all game and then coming down with the players to thank us after.

Roll on Thursday. Just need a forward and watch out Kazan!

Hail.

• Like 2

You still need play

We intend to do as we now set off on the long journey back to where we should be. 

From a UEFA standpoint, still about the players.  Playing hard, organized and such will only get you so far.  If LP wants to compete deep into UEFA you need better players.  Good first game today, but lets see how the rest of the year unfolds and his first off season of player acquisition.

I don't know man... Moreno was one of the best players on the pitch today in my opinion. He's asked to go box to box as a fullback in this system, which is why it was important to have Lucas out there.

Moreno certainly gets up and down the pitch, and I like his energy. I think he has the talent, but he can be a liability defensively, IMO. Too casual with the ball under pressure in his own third. Too many giveaways for my taste. Thought he got bailed out on a foul call that looked a solid tackle giveaway, which could have lead to the decider.

Not sure there's anyone else for the spot now, so looks as though he's the guy.

It was nice seeing Emre Can playing the role he was born to play. He was everywhere today.

Looked like the Boys were having fun on the pitch today...Can especially.

• Like 1

Moreno certainly gets up and down the pitch, and I like his energy. I think he has the talent, but he can be a liability defensively, IMO. Too casual with the ball under pressure in his own third. Too many giveaways for my taste. Thought he got bailed out on a foul call that looked a solid tackle giveaway, which could have lead to the decider.

That's what I'm saying... he's asked to do that, which is why you play Lucas as a defensive mid. 

Re-watch a bit and see the flow.  Whenever Moreno goes forward Lucas shades into his spot. Lucas would usually hold up play long enough for Moreno to get back without an issue.

But you have to have Moreno going forward.  When his vision and service are on he's one of the better ones in the league.

You still need play

From a UEFA standpoint, still about the players.  Playing hard, organized and such will only get you so far.  If LP wants to compete deep into UEFA you need better players.  Good first game today, but lets see how the rest of the year unfolds and his first off season of player acquisition.

No question the squad needs improving and it will be as he goes. These first three months in articular are all about finding out what he has up close. But let's not forget we're currently 8 players down. And some key ones at that. 

I believed the squad we went into the season was more than good enough to have a serious run at the Europa League. So I see no need to change that view now with the addition of a top notch manager to get their very best out of them. 

Be an interesting rest of the year to follow. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Good luck getting above Barcelona and Madrid. 

They're on one plateau. 

You're on the one below it. 

That new Munich era that was supposedly gonna' happen after 2013 ..... still waiting. 

Quote me on this ..... Jurgen Klopp will win the Champions League before a German team does. 

Hail. 

Yes, we've all see what happens with your "quotes".

You were so sure Klopp would come right in and win everything for Pool.  Sorry, but you still have an average side who think that draws away from home are the highlights of the season.

Klopp will only win the CL before Bayern on your FIFA 16 (and only if you play in God mode, 50 times, will he win one).  Your jealousy of Bayern (and German football overall) is readily apparent.  Bayern are clearly the best team in Europe right now - would beat Pool with their U-21 side.  If no more serious injuries, will most likely get that 6th trophy in the Spring.

Meanwhile, you are still below Arsenal and Everton.  Most likely where you will finish.  That whole Pool resurgence - well it fell on it's ass just like Gerrard.  Keep dreaming, but Klopp will win the CL when he moves back to Germany and coaches Bayern in 2017.  Pool won't even be in Europe next season.

Not read through the thread yet but mightly impressed by today's first outing. When was the last time we looked as organised, solid and hard working as that? If he can get that from three days work,what will he do the next time down here in two more weeks at Chelsea? If we'd of had any semblance of a striker we could well of won that. Sakho, Skrtel and Lucas were outstanding. Lallana showed why he won't last as he can't go more than 60/70 minutes. Mingolet made some great saves. And it wasn't as if Tottenham ripped through us. They came off mistakes and bounces off our players. Not a bad performance out there. Yeah, the quality could of been better. But that was with 8 missing. no forwards, (Origi tried but he's too lightweight and is what he is); and 3 days work with the full squad.

Much rather a game like that were you can see serious positives rather than playing utter wank and scrapping a 1-0 win. The only down side was the Klopp songs. The 'live is life' was sung too fast. And the agadoo one is just ****e and highly embarrassing.

All round a very good first game. Loved him stood the edge of the pitch most all game and then coming down with the players to thank us after.

Roll on Thursday. Just need a forward and watch out Kazan!

Hail.

Of course your are, you think the best match you played this season is the 0-0 match with Arsenal. 

That is the difference between teams that have REAL aspirations in Europe and those who want to grind out draws to stay mid-table.

So funny you go after Bayern - who are right now ahead of Barca and RM - and have the gall to look forward to Kazan (are they even in Europe???).  Pool fans have such a low expectation of their side that 0-0 seems like a great result.  Proper sides don't feel that way.

POOL = Southampton

(where you continue to steal all your players)

Edited by btfoom

Yeesh....

(Soooo anyway can we have the game Tuesday? Y'all don't need it. Lol )

I know it seems kind of backwards, but I think that  Arsenal have a better chance on match-day 4 in Munich.  Bayern have been sometimes succeptible to bad home matches in CL, especially when they are ahead in the standings.

One question to Arsenal fans  -  if it comes down to not advancing in the CL, would you rather not make Europa and concentrate on the league?

That's a good ass question and one I've struggled with the last few weeks

There's no debating that avoiding the Europa helps your league form...but (and I know I consistently make fun of the tournament to mess with the LFC guys) giving the thing a real shot and potentially winning it can only help the team's confidence right?

I'll probably just talk myself into whatever option happens at this point

Roids since 82, Joachim Löw scandal, Hoeness in jail, Beckenbauer pissing his pants now, so much for the almighty Germans ! Sponsored by VW.

:lol:  :lol: Brilliant. 

STILL can't believe such a major World renowned company honestly thought they could get away with that ****. 

Hail. 

Sturridge in the frame for Thursday. 

An organised defence for the first time in 3 years. A team busting it's balls for the new manager. A new manager with another 4 days work with his new charges coming off a very solid, if unspectacular, start. A believing fanbase. And the main miss from the opener. A proven forward. 

Hope and excitement for a European game again. Man I'd almost forgotten how that felt.

Hail. 

• Like 1

'Best team in Europe' are the current European Champions until they relinquish that. 

The rest of the abve drivel I'll just smile at. 

Hail. 

So funny that Pool fans think that great results are 0-0 draws (Arsenal and Spurs).  Proper sides consider these as bad results.  This is why Pool fans and their side will always be second tier.

Pool aren't top 6 sides in EPL (that league is 3 or 4 in Europe).

Bayern are far away the best team in Europe right now. I know you don't see good England, but watch other leagues to see how it should be played.

I know you are jealuos, as this will be 6 this year, as Pool will struggle to finish in top 6 in the crap epl this year,

Edited by btfoom

Terrible sports week-end, we're officially the shame of world rugby and now the Redskins are getting kicked ass by the Jets :angry:

I need to introduce you to the sport of your distant cousins from Canada.

Come join the Washington Capitals thread... it should be more fun than not this year.

So funny that Pool fans think that great results are 0-0 draws (Arsenal and Spurs).  Proper sides consider these as bad results.  This is why Pool fans and their side will always be second tier.

Try and imagine this for a second... and it will be difficult... but imagine that your depth at Bayern is not world class... say it's mostly promising youth that needs (and has lacked) grooming and development.

Then also try to imagine that three of your starters get hurt during the international break, and two more are on the mend from injuries a few weeks prior (5 in all).

Further imagine that there are other teams in the same league that can beat you and play well.

0-0 was pretty good.

Hope and excitement for a European game again. Man I'd almost forgotten how that felt.

Hail. 

It will certainly be nice to see the competition taken seriously.

Why work hard to get a spot in the competition if your just going to toss it?

• Like 2