Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

The haters are looking back to make sure he’s still on the job and we haven’t hired a real manager, but he did have a hand in this win and should get credit for that. All along I’ve been saying he’s not tactically inept. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51796072

The major news from a L'pool perspective is this should hopefully buy us a week or so's grace at least so we get to see the title clinched live at either Everton or the following Palace game.

After that is anyone's guess? I'll be shocked if we get through the remainder of the campaign without drastic action being taken. (Behind closed-door games.). But how they'll stop people tipping up around the grounds at pubs etc I just don't know?

And Christ knows what will happen to the quarter-finals in Europe with games falling by the wayside to fans already. Seem's a mad scenario to have three thousand or so fans from Spain/ Madrid coming to both L'pool and Manchester over the next two midweeks with Spain on the brink of an emergency lockdown and reported cases/ deaths in Madrid spiking sharply.

The title parade has next to no chance of happening surely? Which is a real shame but the seriousness of this pandemic has to be top priority over anything else.

Tomorrow's 23's PL Cup game has been pulled as Wolfsburg are unwilling to travel right now-

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-coronavirus-premier-league-international-17889742

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

And Christ knows what will happen to the quarter-finals in Europe with games falling by the wayside to fans already. Seem's a mad scenario to have three thousand or so fans from Spain/ Madrid coming to both L'pool and Manchester over the next two midweeks with Spain on the brink of an emergency lockdown and reported cases/ deaths in Madrid spiking sharply.

The Spurs are supposed to travel to Leipzig tomorrow.    I assume they're still making the trip.

Edited by First Colony

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

No sweat in this thread about Atletico?  Am I thinking correctly that if Madrid scores an away goal, Liverpool would have to score 3 to advance? 

Effectively, Liverpool has to win by two, yes, since a 1-0 result would send it to extra time, where they'd need to break the tie (or win the shootout), and any other 1 goal lead gives it to Atleti on the away goal tiebreaker.

I think you'd still have to favor Liverpool, but Simeone's teams are incredibly disciplined and well-organized, and they're tough to score on in the best of circumstances. I suspect they're going to park the bus so firmly that it won't have any tires, and they're always excellent on sneaking one in on a counter or set piece.

If I were a Liverpool supporter (which Google already thinks I am, apparently), I'd definitely be sweating, yes.

16 hours ago, First Colony said:

The Spurs are supposed to travel to Leipzig tomorrow.    I assume they're still making the trip.

That games on tonight in front of supporters mate so no worries there. 

15 hours ago, Fergasun said:

No sweat in this thread about Atletico?  Am I thinking correctly that if Madrid scores an away goal, Liverpool would have to score 3 to advance? 

I'd be sweating if I was an Atlético fan mate knowing I had to navigate not only well arguably the most passionate stadium in Europe, that comes alive under the European lights as very few others do. But I'm hoping to keep out the best side in World football by a Country mile at present over two games. 

If Atléti somehow comes through that unscathed than fair play to them. They'll have PROPER earned their place in the quarter-finals.

But as a L'pool supporter, knowing the unmatched power of Anfield in Europe aside from anything else, not so much. 

That unwavering faith is backed up when you consider-

Klopp's stupendous record at L'pool of never having lost a two-legged tie in Europe through now 4 straight European campaigns. (11 ties.). 

L'pool having not only not lost at home in the PL for nearly 3 years through 55 games (W45 D10), but not having lost at home in Europe through 5 campaigns and counting since Real Madrid won a group game back in 2014. (P25 W18 D7 F61 A20 14 Clean Sheets.). 

A run that's seen, amongst others, United and City walloped 2 and 3 respectively. A far superior Dortmund side turned over 4-3 after trailing 0-2 and 1-3. And two of not only the greatest European Cup semi-final wins in history. But two of the greatest wins in UEFA competition history. 5-2 over Roma two years ago. And last years 4-0 turnaround against Barcelona from a 3-0 first-leg deficit.

Oh yeah, we're also talking about the current World, European and presently English Champions. The best side at present in World football by a Country mile. 

Atléti will be a proper battle. Nobody's under any illusions of that. Simeone, as he showed yet again the first game, is a proper old school Argentinian ****house who knows every dirty trick in the book. And more that aren't. I think you have to approach the game thinking you need to win by 3. Not all-out attack. Just play our normal, measured approach and the chances will come. But err on the possibility of Madrid scoring and needing three. 

But being 'worried' about the game is the very LAST thing I am. Or ever will be when it comes to a European game at Anfield. We might not get through, but it sure as heck won't be for the lack of giving everything on and off the pitch. And knowing Anfield will be off the charts wild with an atmosphere Atlético, like SO many bigger and better teams before them, will never have experienced, is making you count down the hours to kick-off in excited anticipation. 

I had another wonderful time in one of the Worlds great City's, Madrid, three weeks back with our friends from Atlético. Culminating in experiencing their own marvellous ground and atmosphere that they've transported so well from the Calderon to their new place. And they can be assured of a similarly warm welcome when visiting our great City. But if they've never experienced an Anfield night under the European lights boy are they in for something REALLY special. 

The Metropolitano is a fantastic stadium for watching football. With a fantastic fanbase filling it and giving it life. 

But this is Anfield. Which is on a WHOLE other level. 

All they need to do is ask their Barcelona counterparts about that. 

May the best team win in what's fixing to be a belter game played out in front of a wild atmosphere. 

Can

Not 

WAIT!!!!!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Looks as though the Captain will be back too. Missed him immeasurably last few.

Of course, my big opening season golf tournament in Fla is this weekend, and plans made months ago have me playing at 1:00 Wednesday. Hope everything moves along quickly, and I can catch the second half. Will probably make my playing partners bonkers with checking the mobile every two minutes.

Up the European Champion Reds!

• Haha 1

We might end being just about the only game with fans in Europe at this rate! 

Utd's game has now been confirmed behind closed doors. And it looks like Munich- Chelsea has gone now too. Bringing the CL total to 5 games the next two weeks behind closed doors. With the Olympiacos- Wolves game, which was already behind closed doors, is in big doubt with all the Olympiacos team/ staff at the hospital being checked out.

La Liga is the latest to pull fans from attending games for the next two weeks at least too. That's Austria, France, Greece, Italy and Spain. Unless I've missed someone?

Only a matter of time before everything goes here.

Unprecedented and seriously worrying times. 

Hail. 

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

All they need to do is ask their Barcelona counterparts about that. 

Liverpool earned that win, and the first leg was flattering to Barca anyway.

That being noted, unless the Anfield atmosphere is so incredible that it pierced the space time continuum and washed over Roma a year earlier, Barca's problems away are a lot more significant than how loud Scousers sing "Allez Allez Allez".

Just come across this brilliant Finnish doco on a modern-day great who I consider one of the best ever players to play for L'pool, which is saying something given his peers, who sadly didn't have anything like one of the best ever careers at Anfield for one reason or another his short stay. Jari Litmanen, 

As noted, it's a Fininsh doco so some of it's in Finish and Dutch. But a lot of it's in English on his time at Ajax, Barcelona and ourselves in particular so if it interests you just let the foreign language ride. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/Kuningas Litmanen | The King - Jari Litmanen (Part21)

And an accompanying Q&A on it's release in Amsterdam with Jari and de Boer. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

5 hours ago, techboy said:

Liverpool earned that win, and the first leg was flattering to Barca anyway.

That being noted, unless the Anfield atmosphere is so incredible that it pierced the space time continuum and washed over Roma a year earlier, Barca's problems away are a lot more significant than how loud Scousers sing "Allez Allez Allez".

Oh but it is. You're starting to catch on to how things work by the looks of it. Best supporters in the world la! 

Weird emotion this. 

I mean on the one hand, you're sat buzzing waiting to get up the ground for another real special Anfield European night. 

On the other, it's really tempered by not knowing when our next European game will be after this and what UEFA are going to do with the rest of this season's competition as the pandemic get's worse by the passing day across the Continent. I'd normally have had an interest in last nights games but it's just been a 'meh' as the chances of being allowed to travel the next round are the slim side of slim. Next Friday's draw, for someone that lives for the excitement of those things and finding out what trip you're going on, is hardly registering with me right now. 

Weird, conflicting emotions at present. 

But let's get Madrid put to bed first and what will be after that will be. 

Up the European Champion Reds!

Hail. 

Well, it turns out the Spurs made the trip to Leipzig, but didn't show up!  Over the last few days, they've been bounced out of the FA Cup by a team that will be relegated, fallen out of contention for next year's Champions League, and been eliminated from this year's by a team in only their second Champions League!.  Injuries, questionable coaching... sigh...why do I follow teams that frustrate me so?  

13 minutes ago, First Colony said:

Well, it turns out the Spurs made the trip to Leipzig, but didn't show up!  Over the last few days, they've been bounced out of the FA Cup by a team that will be relegated, fallen out of contention for next year's Champions League, and been eliminated from this year's by a team in only their second Champions League!.  Injuries, questionable coaching... sigh...why do I follow teams that frustrate me so?  

Leipzig are an excellent team and with all the injuries Spurs dealing with its not exactly an upset that they went out to Leipzig. 

36 minutes ago, First Colony said:

True but it seems as if it's all happening at once.

That’s what it is when it gets around to this time of year when you’re at the level Spurs have elevated themselves to. The FA Cup hits its final stages, you’re in the CL knockouts so you have huge games midweek, and with so many teams jockeying to qualify for the CL next year, every league match feels like its all or nothing. 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Like 1

Couldn’t be prouder of Liverpool tonight. MUCH the better team. Gave everything they had. Belter atmosphere. Just a tale of 2 goalies. Oblak had a Worldie whilst Adrian had the polar opposite. Can’t legislate for 2 keeper mistakes but that's football. Can’t win them all and congratulations to Atletico. Worked their socks off for 210 minutes. Massive respect for that. And for their contribution to a wonderful game tonight. All the best the rest of the competition.

Disappointed, naturally, but immensely proud.

And I don't know how it came over the TV, but the conditions were absolutely horrible. Coming out the ground the wind was wild. Along with the driving rain all night. For all the players to put on such a superb spectacle ..... MASSIVE kudos to every last one of them. 

But the even bigger thing right now is that looks like the last game we'll get to see live this season. Everything's set to go tomorrow behind closed doors as we move into the next phase of combating this horrid pandemic- 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1237870070396678146

Seriously worrying times. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2