Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

VAR is hilariously bad.  

The way they apply the offside rule is horrendous. Not sure if they can do this but they need to work out a system like they did with goal line technology that buzzes the referee if there's grass between the two offside lines. If there isnt it should be a good goal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

The way they apply the offside rule is horrendous. Not sure if they can do this but they need to work out a system like they did with goal line technology that buzzes the referee if there's grass between the two offside lines. If there isnt it should be a good goal. 

something needs to be changed for sure.  i'd also add in the reminder that the offsides should give advantage to be called.  granted that adds in more grey areas, but some of these calls are howlers.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:17 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Teams now, sadly, as they have done for years, devalue the FA Cup as the money's just no longer in the tournament. And that filters right down the leagues madly. Not just at the top. But then the FA have devalued its own marquee competition for years with semi\s being held at Wembley etc. The complete current joke is the unfair officiating of the tournament, with VAR only available at PL grounds. One standard of officiating for one game. One for another. 

I hate to rank trophies but if you were, you'd go the biggest prize in the game, European Cup, then the PL, then the second European major, the UEFA Cup, dependent on personal interest, or the FA Cup. (Neither generate much prize money. Just the prestige of winning a major trophy which is sadly lost on today's generation brought up with clubs, IMHO, disgracefully disres[ecting both.). And the League Cup, sadly now, a long distant last. 

Hail. 

This is helpful.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, Long n Left said:

If you’re going to the match this evening GHH, please be safe. Looks like truly nasty weather there. 

Ta la. Appreciated. But I swerved it due to travelling back down South the day after for a night and an early morning flight out of Stansted Monday. 

Atletico have been getting proper ****y today ay? It was cringe embarrassing the way they celebrated the end like the tie was won. Must have been a good 15 minutes after the final whistle they were still on the pitch doing a lap and milking it. But then you throw in the way they've been getting WAY ahead of themselves today ..... Ermmm, lads? Yers do know there’s another game to play in this one right? Here’s hoping they do think it’s done before another belter Anfield European night hits them like it has SO many others over the years. 

They NEVER learn! 

Talking of, having a ref at Anfield that’s at least neutral and fair would be nice like. That fella last night was an absolute disgrace. No complaints with Atletico’s ****housery. Simeone was a complete prick as a player and he’s an even bigger one as a manager. Old school Argentinian who knows every trick in the book. And more that aren’t. But it doesn’t help when the fella the middle is giving most every 50/50 to the home side and not only letting them get away with there nonsense. But adding to it by making up his own rules! Where again does it decree you stop the game for anything other than a head injury? 

The ****houseey aside, big credit to Atletico for their tactical discipline and work rate. Rarely if ever teams can match us the full 90 for work rate but they did and then some. BIG tip of the hat to them for that.

Madrid is still boss and P all over Barcelona. I think because it doesn’t try and just is what it is. Whereas Barcelona has goine WAY too far down the tourist route. One of the great capital City’s of the World. Our relationship with the Atleti fans is still as strong as ever. BIG props to those of them below us with the majority all applauding us on their way out. Didn’t think the Calderon could be matched in Spain for noise but they’ve transplanted to the belter new ground great. But then a great support is a great support regardless of the venue. Massive respect for Atleti fans. (I’d hate to watch that style of footie every week like but each to their own.). Sad to leave their wonderful City again earlier. 

So all in all another great trip following Jurgens Reds in our European playground. Frustrating game but that was forgotten by the time we finally got out of the ground. Safe in the knowledge we have Anfield and all her might the second leg. With the ridiculous record of Klopp having never lost a two-legged European tie in now 4 European campaigns at r’s. 

As a mate said, the 10 journeys we loaded up the metro on Monday will come in useful when we’re back in Madrid the quarter-final playing Real.

Up the Rioja Reds!

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I’d hate to watch that style of footie every week like but each to their own.

I don't normally watch matches outside of Barca, and certainly not Champions League because I don't have Cable so I have to pay per match. That being noted, I happen to have TNT this month because Sling was running a deal, and I watched roughly the last 20 minutes of the match. Not going to lie... It was fun watching another team have to try to break down the "get a set piece and grind it out with Oblak plus 10 behind the ball" show.

That being noted, I have a lot of respect for Simeone. It's not pretty, but he's kept his team competitive with squads like Barca and Madrid, while working with a fraction of their budget (exemplified by Barca stealing Griezmann from them).

It's not a formula that's likely to win out over 38 matches (though they're rarely far behind), but over two games, I suspect they're the most likely to take down one of the very top clubs. I'd be at least healthily nervous if I were a Liverpool supporter... Scoring at least two (no away goal) is not going to be easy.

Not as nervous as being an Atleti supporter PROBABLY ALL THE TIME though... How do their fans deal with the "up one goal and holding on" nerves that much? Geez.

Also... Totally agreed about the Madrid ticket... The 10 ride pass is a screaming good deal, and it's shareable. I have the one my wife and I use right here for our next trip. You can actually get a similar deal in Barcelona too, for what that's worth.

Jurgen Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose'

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-51580401

his letter to Daragh, he said: "Unfortunately, on this occasion I cannot grant your request, not through choice anyway.

"As much as you want Liverpool to lose it is my job to do everything that I can to help Liverpool to win as there are millions of people around the world who want that to happen, so I really do not want to let them down."

"Luckily for you, we have lost games in the past and we will lose games in the future because that is football.

"The problem is when you are 10 years old you think that things will always be as they are now but if there is one thing I can tell you as 52 years old it is that this most definitely isn't the case."

The whole story's pretty cool. Hard not to love Klopp.

• Like 1

What an absolute joke La Liga is. Even if they’re only allowed to sign a player that’s a free agent, what if one of their CL opponents lose one of their main attackers to injury? Audaciously entitled club enabled by its domestic governing body. I’m surprised they’re not forcing each LL team to offer a player as tribute.  

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:
What an absolute joke La Liga is. Even if they’re only allowed to sign a player that’s a free agent, what if one of their CL opponents lose one of their main attackers to injury? Audaciously entitled club enabled by its domestic governing body. I’m surprised they’re not forcing each LL team to offer a player as tribute.  

It won't affect Champions League at all... Braithwaite isn't eligible to play, because the registration window for CL closed when the transfer window did.

The disgusting aspect of the rule is that Barca plucked the top scorer from a team fighting relegation (he has like 8 of their 14 goals or something like that) by triggering his release clause, and Leganes isn't even allowed to sign someone in turn to replace him.

The board really screwed this one up... they sold two attackers to raise money for a replacement attacker, then didn't sign one, relying on Dembele, who of course got hurt again.

This is on top of the ugly way they fired Valverde (sending representatives to ask Xavi if he wanted the job while Valverde was still the manager), their very odd acquisitions in general, and now the story has broken that the board secretly hired a social media team which has been attacking current and former players including Xavi and Messi in an attempt to push blame away from themselves.

The supporters at the stadium before the match today whistled and waved white handkerchiefs (a pretty strong statement in Spain) as the executives left the field, and sources are now reporting that there is an emergency meeting this week and there might be early elections.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, techboy said:

It won't affect Champions League at all... Braithwaite isn't eligible to play, because the registration window for CL closed when the transfer window did.

The disgusting aspect of the rule is that Barca plucked the top scorer from a team fighting relegation (he has like 8 of their 14 goals or something like that) by triggering his release clause, and Leganes isn't even allowed to sign someone in turn to replace him.

The board really screwed this one up... they sold two attackers to raise money for a replacement attacker, then didn't sign one, relying on Dembele, who of course got hurt again.

This is on top of the ugly way they fired Valverde (sending representatives to ask Xavi if he wanted the job while Valverde was still the manager), their very odd acquisitions in general, and now the story has broken that the board secretly hired a social media team which has been attacking current and former players including Xavi and Messi in an attempt to push blame away from themselves.

The supporters at the stadium before the match today whistled and waved white handkerchiefs (a pretty strong statement in Spain) as the executives left the field, and sources are now reporting that there is an emergency meeting this week and there might be early elections.

I should have added this is no way a reflection of the fans or the players, and the governing body in Spain has scratched Madrid's back plenty as well. The training ground property deal comes to mind. You also have one of, if not the best youth system on the planet there has to be someone there better than Braithwate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berggy9598 said:

You also have one of, if not the best youth system on the planet there has to be someone there better than Braithwate. 

That's part of the fury... They loaned out Carles Perez during this mess, who IS an attacker from La Masia, and just told reporters that he's sad because the board didn't communicate with him and he feels like young players don't get a chance any more.

I will say, Braithwaite did look really good today and I was also proud that he got a really nice ovation coming in despite the fact that one of the things socis are pissed about is that he, as you say, doesn't seem to fit Barca's quality and the board easily could have gotten someone in the winter planning window that would seemingly be a better fit. They rightly recognized that it's not HIS fault.

The only positive in this situation is that Barca IS a true club, no owner, so the socis are able to force a change in management if things get bad enough, and it sounds like that may be on the horizon.

28 minutes ago, techboy said:

That's part of the fury... They loaned out Carles Perez during this mess, who IS an attacker from La Masia, and just told reporters that he's sad because the board didn't communicate with him and he feels like young players don't get a chance any more.

I will say, Braithwaite did look really good today and I was also proud that he got a really nice ovation coming in despite the fact that one of the things socis are pissed about is that he, as you say, doesn't seem to fit Barca's quality and the board easily could have gotten someone in the winter planning window that would seemingly be a better fit. They rightly recognized that it's not HIS fault.

The only positive in this situation is that Barca IS a true club, no owner, so the socis are able to force a change in management if things get bad enough, and it sounds like that may be on the horizon.

Structure at the top will always get you through rough periods. That and that little fellow whatsisname. 

On 2/25/2020 at 6:21 AM, FanboyOf91 said:

Rival fans understood perfectly fine imo. He was already considered one of the best managers in the world and the fit was obvious. Some of the best supporters in all of sports but a tedious bunch they are. 

Edited by Berggy9598