Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Haha. Very magnanimous of you to say. Thank you.

It's a tricky one, isn't it?

On the one hand, there's a historical, ridiculous 25 point gap. 

On the other, it's still 'mathematically' possible for City to win the league with L'pool needing anything up to 6 points. 

So if the season was cancelled, aside from al the other places to sort out,  (Europe/ promotion and relegation etc), there'd always be that 'they never really won the league'slight being levelled at them. Utter bunkum of course. But you know it'd be forever slung.

I hope at the very least we can get the next couple of games played and put that totally to bed. (Ironically, the first game 'due' back after this break will be at City. Which would clinch the league with a win. But I can't see that game going ahead and they'll be another suspension to get through and see where we are again.). 

All we can do is take a 'wait and see' approach and hope, a much as I fear it will, it doesn't get to a complete cancellation of the season and that decision has to be made. 

I do find it ironic that City is the only one vocal publically in wanting the league cancelled and the season annulled. (There were 2 clubs at today's meeting voicing that apparently. Presumably, Norwich being the other?). 

Something tells me, if situation's were reversed, the absolute gob****e that is Guardiola would be calling for the complete opposite. 

Dark, scary times. Everyone stay safe that side of the pond and follow all the preventative measures they suggest. 

Hail. 

This is about the integrity of the league IMO, and this is our league. I wasn't old enough to watch in the 80s, but England is where I fell in love with the sport as a kid. This league went from playing checkers while the rest of Europe was playing chess in the 90s, to the biggest professional football league in the world. You don't watch a team go 25-1-1 in the biggest professional football in the world and then tip over the monopoly board when it's clear they're winning.

If you narrow it down to United and Liverpool specifically, you take it personally that your biggest rival is now the standard bearer and you rise to the challenge. That's what Sir Alex did, and it's what Klopp is doing now. I would be incredibly disappointed for English football as a whole if they decide to hit the rest button, but there is a contingency among United supporters that are relishing that sort of outcome, and United more than any other club should be opposed to it. Salford's club doesn't believe in reset buttons. 

Edited by Berggy9598
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

This is about the integrity of the league IMO, and this is our league. I wasn't old enough to watch in the 80s, but England is where I fell in love with the sport as a kid. This league went from playing checkers while the rest of Europe was playing chess in the 90s, to the biggest professional football league in the world. You don't watch a team go 25-1-1 in the biggest professional football in the world and then tip over the monopoly board when it's clear they're winning.

If you narrow it down to United and Liverpool specifically, you take it personally that your biggest rival is now the standard bearer and you rise to the challenge. That's what Sir Alex did, and it's what Klopp is doing now. I would be incredibly disappointed for English football as a whole if they decide to hit the rest button, but there is a contingency among United supporters that are relishing that sort of outcome, and United more than any other club should be opposed to it. Salford's club doesn't believe in reset buttons. 

Would appear, by this anyway tonight, most all the clubs are seeing sense- 

Liverpool set to be given Premier League title amid coronavirus chaos

Options for next season include a 22-team Premier League, possibly played to dovetail with the winter World Cup

ByBen Rumsby ; Jason Burt ; Sam Wallace and Matt Law13 March 2020 • 10:18pm

Liverpool are still likely to be crowned Premier League champions, even if the coronavirus crisis causes the season to be abandoned amid mounting fears it would be  impossible to complete it this summer.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport last month, there is no regulation governing what happens if the 2019-20 campaign is curtailed. But a senior club executive revealed on Friday night that there was little opposition to awarding Jurgen Klopp’s men their first English title for 30 years following what threatened to be the longest suspension of the professional game since the Second World War.

Leaders Liverpool are 25 points clear of second-placed Manchester City and two more victories for the Anfield club will give them the title. Such is the gap that there is no appetite among their rivals to deny them the crown.

The coronavirus hiatus is in danger of plunging football in England into anarchy, with governing bodies and clubs desperately trying to devise ways to avoid the unprecedented meltdown that could ensue if Government projections over the spread of the deadly disease prove correct.

On a day when more sport fell by the wayside, including the London Marathon, the Masters, Wales’s Six Nations match with Scotland, England’s cricket tour of Sri Lanka, the start of the Formula One season, and the Giro d’Italia, one senior figure at a Premier League team told Telegraph Sport: “There is so much more at stake. There is a focus on whether Liverpool will be champions, but that will be an irrelevance in the scheme of things. There is an intent we will recommence, but will that be possible?”

The Premier League had devised a plan in which the season would finish on schedule provided it resumed on April 3. That was the date to which it, the English Football League and Football Association agreed to suspend the men’s and women’s professional game following crisis talks on Friday. But with the virus forcing seven Premier League clubs yesterday to put players into isolation and the disease not forecast to peak until May or June, an April resumption appeared optimistic in the extreme.

FA chairman Greg Clarke told Premier League clubs it was not “feasible” to expect their remaining matches to be played, while another senior figure told Telegraph Sport: “You tell me whether you think there’s the remotest possibility that anything in the science is going to tell us that it’s going to be safer to play on April 3 than now.”

This summer’s European Championship is expected to be postponed at an emergency meeting of European football stakeholders on Tuesday in order to allow the club season to continue into June and July – and potentially even beyond.

The same senior figure raised the prospect of the calendar being redrawn to dovetail with the next World Cup in Qatar, the switch of which to the winter of 2022 had already been accommodated by the game.

“One scenario could be that you just work backwards from it and you say, ‘Why don’t we have a calendar season in 2022 and a calendar season in 2021 and we play the rest of this season in October?’” he said.

But many players will be out of contract on June 30 and will also have lost match fitness, raising major questions about the integrity of competitions.

Calling a halt to the season would be no less chaotic. That has resulted in discussions taking place inside some Premier League teams over proposals that could be put forward if the season could not be played to a conclusion. One would be to void the season, but there is an acceptance that would cause many of its own problems with Liverpool so close to winning the title.

There would also be the issues of relegation and promotion from the Championship, together with Champions League qualification, which carry huge financial implications for the clubs involved.

One proposal that could be made would be for the top two in the Championship, currently Leeds and West Brom, to be promoted and for 22 teams to compete in next season’s Premier League. The EFL Cup would be postponed for one year to allow extra space in the fixture list and five clubs, instead of three, would be relegated at the end of the season.

One suggestion regarding Champions League qualification would be to allow the teams who qualified for this season’s tournament to keep their places next season and then enter any additional sides currently in qualification positions into an expanded qualifying phase.

That would mean third-placed Leicester going into a qualifying round for the Champions League, with Liverpool, Manchester City – subject to the Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing – Chelsea and Tottenham holding on to their places in the tournament. But Manchester United, Wolves and Sheffield United, who are all above seventh-placed Spurs, would no doubt object to this.

Christian Purslow, the Aston Villa chief executive, attended Friday's emergency meeting of the  Premier League. Asked if he thought the current season will be completed, he replied: “We have no idea. Let’s hope so.”

Failure to do so would  in turn jeopardise billions of pounds in television money, with Premier League chief executive Richard Masters having already stressed to clubs in an email on Thursday night that “contractual commitments” needed to be taken into consideration.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, it would also risk sending EFL clubs – who depend on match-day revenue – out of business. That might be one reason why the non-League game did not follow the lead of its professional counterpart yesterday by calling off matches.

Hail. 

Just now, techboy said:

@Berggy9598 SEEMS magnanimous now, but that's just because he's broken out the rhyming dictionary and is composing. Here's a draft which has leaked...

"Can't win the league 

Without it being gifted

There's an asterisk

For the trophy that you lifted"

Still working on memorizing the Bruno Fernandes song we’ll get to that in September when the 18.5 merchandise hits the stores. 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:38 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Our manager. From the heart and not some standard PR bollocks.

More honest, compassionate and dignified than most World leaders could communicate on the current Worldwide crisis-

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/390397-jurgen-klopp-message-to-supporters

Hail. 

Excellent acknowledgement to an excellent message- 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1238785024884903942

Hail. 

17 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I could not be prouder than to have this group of players representing this City and football club that bears its name.

The wonderful fella' that the manager is sets the tone. But they ALL TOTALLY get it.

PROPER F Scousers every last one of them!

Hail. 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/community/390477-lfc-backs-fans-supporting-foodbanks-with-40k-donation-during-league-suspension

I loved reading within that too that 25% of all donations for the North Liverpool Foodbank are received on matchdays at both clubs. 

I don't live in the perfect City by any means. And we still have a lot of social problems like anywhere else. But this just reiterates the sense of community here and taking care of our own. 

Massive kudos to the people of the City, and anyone else that travels in on a matchday and brings food and supplies to help out those less fortunate.

Really heartwarming pride at doing the right thing where you can. 

Hail. 

Since there's nothing new to talk about, what's the bigger jaw drop, 5000-1 winning the league or 25-1-1? We're unlikely to ever see either happen again and both looked like a cheat tactic on Footie Manager come to life. 

Edited by Berggy9598

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51962751

The FA’s Rules and Regulations state that “the season shall terminate not later than the 1 June”…However, our Board has agreed for this limit to be extended indefinitely for the 2019-20 season in relation to professional football.

Additionally, we’ve collectively agreed that the professional game in England will be further postponed until no earlier than Thursday 30 April.

The progress of COVID-19 remains unclear and we can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.

'..... Just like the team, that's gonna' win the Football League ..... '

And a MASSIVE FU to Karen Brady the S*n loving slag! SERIOUSLY hope West Ham go down!

Hail. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:30 AM, Berggy9598 said:

We're unlikely to ever see either happen again and both looked like a cheat tactic on Footie Manager come to life. 

Speaking of Football Manager, SI is offering it for free on Steam until next Wednesday. Good time suck for people trapped inside.

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

SERIOUSLY hope West Ham go down!

HEY! That's Roy from the IT crowd's favorite side! Why would you wish that on a proper man?

I guess that is a big deal, though. Giving Liverpool the title is not much of a problem, but how do you assign Champions League slots? Relegations? Promotions? No good answer there and a LOT of money at stake. Lawsuits all around.

I think they're going to have to finish, even if it means cancelling the next season.

1 hour ago, techboy said:

Speaking of Football Manager, SI is offering it for free on Steam until next Wednesday. Good time suck for people trapped inside.

I already won the domestic treble with newly promoted Tranmere, just waiting for Liverpool to offer me the job to succeed Klopp.

3 hours ago, techboy said:

HEY! That's Roy from the IT crowd's favorite side! Why would you wish that on a proper man?

Roy would call them Westam. He wouldn't recognize West  Ham.

When I lived in the UK I worked for a company located in Hayes. It was not uncommon for someone to get in a cab in London and ask to be taken to Hayes (pronounced Hayze) and the driver from East London would look at them blankly, even with 'the knowledge'. You would show him the address and he'd smile and say "Oh, you mean aaayes."

1 hour ago, SkinInsite said:

I already won the domestic treble with newly promoted Tranmere, just waiting for Liverpool to offer me the job to succeed Klopp.

Very impressive. The city of Liverpool's third best team after Liverpool FC and Liverpool Reserves.

I remember a discussion where MartinC said he'd won the league in Football Manager with his team Leeds. Someone quipped ... "Does Football Manager let you set the year back to 1968?"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dchogs said:

So, I've downloaded FM2020.   Other than hiring a good divorce attorney, any tips/tricks I should know? 

Their database is as legit as it comes and is used by pro clubs. You can look at the higher rated U20 players and more often than not those players will be household names in a few years. Also if you don’t currently have anger management issues don’t worry, you’ll get them soon. 

I think they've gone WAY too early there personally. Feel for all the clubs in promotion scenarios that have invested with a model to be higher up the pyramid who have now had that taken from them. You can't not finish a season that's already started. No matter HOW long it takes.

Amusing to see all the 'cancel this season' brigade back out in force this AM.

I presume they'll do the same come the winter if we start next season and there's another big CV spike that causes things to be shut down?

Related- 

Hail. 

As a United fan I am with GHH on this.  I don't care when the games resume but with the season already so far gone we have to complete the current campaign.  We cannot look at deciding the leagues on current standings but to wipe away over 3 quarters of a season as though it never happened would be ridiculous.  If we ultimately end up finishing this season in the Autumn and then change the schedule for the next couple of years leading into the 2022 World Cup that would make some logical sense.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of Liverpool adding another title to their haul but I also love the history of the game and our rivalry too much to want to see them denied on a technicality.