Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Well, the disappointment that is the Dutch national team gave us some promise with a nice thrashing of Bulgaria 3-1, the same Bulgaria that beat Sweden a few days ago. WC chances hanging by the thinnest of threads...Go Luxembourg!

As sad as the passing of Cruyff was, it is almost sadder to see the disarray in the national side because of it. Someone needs to fill that leadership void, and get us back to prominence, where we belong. WC's and Euro's are much prettier with Orange in them!

Also need a forward thinking manager to take the reins (Cocu?) Can't keep trying to rehash the past. All sides now utilize the total football approach to some extent, time to move forward.

Oranje Gan!!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

Some interesting, at least to me, stats.,

Liverpool are, probably somewhat surprisingly, on their best 38 game rolling run of goals conceded for 4 years. Which coupled with 6 clean sheets out the last 7 league games adds to the steady improvement defensively of the team under Jürgen. Even the massive Achilles heal of defending corners has been promising since the opening day cluster F at Watford. 18 faced on the year through 5 games and none conceded since Vicarage Road. And we scored on the break from one ourselves last time out against Arsenal. 

Still a ways to go in that regard, as much as we're always liable to give up chances and goals by the very nature of the chances we take the other end/ not playing with a DM protecting et all. But things are certainly trending upward. Interesting that we conceded the exact same amount of goals the second half of last season as the first too. 21 through 19 games. So it was just as much on the down turn in scoring, and more so zero pace once Mané went down, as anything else the second half dip. 

Which all makes the Salah and Oxlade-Chamberlain additions as important as the van Dijk pursuit was. Now we have that difference making speed in depth.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Coutino saying he'll not play in CL group stages for the Reds so he's not cup tied for Barca's winter advances.  if that's true and not just the spanish newspapers stirring up trouble, eff phil.  i'd play him in the most embarrassing games in the league cup games vs. 4th division sides.  no prem action, no CL action at all.  don't sell him in january and let him rot.  i doubt fsg allow that to happen as it would seriously devalue coutino in the summer window, but that would be my emotional reaction.  hell, let him rot at melwood for the next 5 years of his contract. 

a lesson for the lads in future contract negotiations:  put in buy-out clauses if you think you could possibly want to leave for another team.  i bet fsg would have gladly put in a £75m clause in January before they knew about the mad money of the summer of 17.  may have used that to lower his weekly wages as a compromise, but they would have been happy to do it.

• Like 2

Interesting to see who plays RB City and who plays Seville out of Trent and Joe? (Or both games.). 

I watched an hour of England 21's 3-0 win over Latvia tonight and the new skipper Gomez was superb in a MOTM performance. (One of only 2 players to play both qualifiers this week.). Trent had a good debut the England U-21's RB. (Ojo also had a very fine debut for the 21's out the right and I believe Dom got on late.). Personally, I wouldn't change the side after Arsenal but I'm not the manager. Shrugs.

Flicked over the hour when Woodburn came on for Wales ..... And there he went again changing the game. Could well have had a penalty on 74 when he was barged over the area. Set up the Welsh first with a great run and cross down the left. Ben Woodburn displaying the only thing he 'doesn't' possess. Next gear pace. Where'd that come from? 

First 2 International appearances in 2 must win WC qualifiers. Both from the bench. 1 Worldie winner and an assist to turn the other game. Not a bad few days for the 17-year-old jewel in the crown. 

Talking Internationals, Mo Salah scored the winner for Egypt in their 1-0 win at home to Uganda:

And Sadio assisted 1 and scored 1 for Senegal in their 2-2 draw in Burkina Faso: 

So that's the little rat, Mané, Robertson, Salah, Woodburn and Keita (Guinea were eliminated so he'll be joining from the very start of pre-season next year which is a big bonus) all scored this week with Firmino currently playing Brazil. Not a bad break if they must go play for their Countries.

Hail. 

• Like 1

interesting article on Can's negotiations with the sticking point being a buy-out clause:  https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/09/emre-cans-release-clause-demand-sign-times-liverpool/

to me, it should be either:  1) no buy out but higher salary  or 2) significant buy out clause but lower salary... on a sliding scale so that the higher buy out agreed to would correspond to a higher salary.  seems so logical to me that there must be something i'm missing for the club/player/agent to not be doing it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dchogs said:

interesting article on Can's negotiations with the sticking point being a buy-out clause:  https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/09/emre-cans-release-clause-demand-sign-times-liverpool/

to me, it should be either:  1) no buy out but higher salary  or 2) significant buy out clause but lower salary... on a sliding scale so that the higher buy out agreed to would correspond to a higher salary.  seems so logical to me that there must be something i'm missing for the club/player/agent to not be doing it.

Just give the lad an 80 mil release cause and be done with it.  I'm all for labour having a way out, puts pressure on the owner to spend.

Can is not going to want to leave if we win all the time. Especially for Juventus who pays their player peanuts.

• Like 3

Iniesta denies that there is an agreement to resign with the Barça

"Andrés Iniesta, who returned to Barcelona with the rest of the Spanish international, was approached on arrival at the airport by different media representatives interested in hearing his opinion after FC Barcelona president Josep María Bartomeu announced a principle of agreement with the player. In the interview granted to SPORT, Bartomeu said that "Andrés should retire in Barcelona

"Can you confirm the principle of renewal agreement announced by Bartomeu?"
-No"

Edited by FrFan

Unplugged a couple of days after getting home Monday.  Back in the game now.  It's nice to be back.  International football was mostly **** and that's probably only because I am American, lol.

That Woodburn goal was something else.  5th touch after coming on.  That boy is going to be something.

13 hours ago, SkinInsite said:

Just give the lad an 80 mil release cause and be done with it.  I'm all for labour having a way out, puts pressure on the owner to spend.

Can is not going to want to leave if we win all the time. Especially for Juventus who pays their player peanuts.

The Italian league will soon be back to "worth watching," as now that Milan are spending money again, but that won't improve the overall league.

Nail on the head, there.

Jurgen loves him and Emre appears to appreciate Jurgen.  This will get sorted out.

I still think it has more to do with Henderson than most are letting on.  Hendo has a good game one out of five or thereabouts... that one good game is VERY good, but he isn't a Liverpool Captain.

• Like 1

For some reason I inadvertently put this the US soccer thread but hey ho. Yers all wouldn't love me if I wasn't a dip.

Currently sat in a one room Visa place just up from Oxford Road with 6 Scousers, 5 Mancs and one poor Russian woman processing. 

But what I love here, as the pub before shooting pool chatting sh*t with a couple of City lads, waiting for me mate, is different lads all respectful of the commitment each are making and just swapping stories about previous trips Moscow and passing on advice.

Said it countless times on here but when you boil it down, we're basically cut from the same cloth and can have a boss time with each other in either of two boss City's. It's just the football that ruins it and turns people into bellends. Often people with absolutely no relation to either City who think out rate hatred to the other is the way to be.

YAY! Just 9 more to go before me now!

Well that was quite funny. 6 Scousers. I knew 2. They knew another 2. And me mate knew another. And then 3 more came in who we all knew. The Utd lads were like 'WTF?' You lads go anywhere alone?' Lol. Different places. Same old faces. 

Interesting point from one the Utd lads that he puts the footie 'unrest' down to the two City's being so much alike. The way we dress. The music we like. Both working class who like a bevvy and a good time and love our footie. And the rivalry to be the biggest and the best between us manifesting itself in the ultimate domain. The football arena.

I 'spose there's a lot in that but all I know is we've got two great City's that rival anything London has to offer today outside of those Royal thingies that only goes tits up when you throw football into the mix.

Hail.

• Like 1

Liverpool and their supporters fell out of love with England years ago, now the rest of the country are catching up | Unibet UK

Boss article that totally sums up my, and many others feelings toward the National side. (And not just here. I know many Mancunians just down the road feel the same way and just aren't arsed about England.). 

I guess you'd have to be Scouse and experience the rest of the Country's attitude toward you and your City over the years (and still, from many Neanderthals) to fully understand. 

Definitely a lot in what Robbo says too about England being for the Southerners (all games Wembley games midweek), and all the little clubs you see dominating the crowd away. They don't get boss European trips. I and many others do. England offers up exactly nottin' to add to my football experience aside from never feeling part of the Country. And it would appear that a lot of other footie fans around the Nation are starting to be as non-plussed too.

Hail. 

• Like 1