Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

What a crazy ass game..  the ref had the absolute most shocking game I have seen in a very long time.  He should absolutely be reprimanded for that entire game.  Grossly leaning for burnley all game.

that said, simply cannot lose at home to burnley.  The game showed me that morata is the real deal and whether he's fit or not should lead the line.  A goal and assist two men down.  Very well done by him.  Big ups to the rest of the squad too who didn't give up, showed good heart making the late comeback. Can't take much more from the game when you're playing down essentially the whole game.  

Cahill and fabregas out next week for spuds.  Hopefully bakayoko is ready.  

Defense was shockingly bad today.  It's amazing that we've had the same weakness really since 2013 and haven't done **** to improve it.... defending set pieces, namely corner kicks.  Every ****ing year it does us in.

Mignolet was as poor as I've seen him today.  Lovren was awful.  Matip's worst game in red.  Disgusting from Henderson, didn't look like he grabbed the side by the scruff at all.... that looked like the front 3 and then Emre got better the 2nd half.

Salah looks brilliant doesn't he?  Thought he got a little too selfish toward the end there and you just knew we needed a 4th... wish he would've pulled one or two of those back across the 18.

Early days and we don't win the league in the first week, but that has to be improved and it's not going to happen from within.

On to Hoffenheim. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Cahill and fabregas out next week for spuds.  Hopefully bakayoko is ready.  

Thought Alonso was your best player this summer by a mile, honestly not sure how he wasn't the first one sent off.  Didn't watch the 2nd half, was he even booked?

Just now, Morrison J said:

Struggle to see City not winning the league this year once Kompany stays fit. 

I'm going back sometime this week to see that you haven't picked a winner since MAYBE City 2014... even then I think you'd picked United.

Glad you're off of Spurs, though.

4 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

I dunno, very close.  Either way, exciting start to the league in both games.  Silva is a good manager, has watford playing well 

Silva is very good.  I'm surprised that Palace didn't go get him... they have better players and he is the type of dude that could get them to that next level.

Still think he's never lost a home game in his career, or maybe it was one last year towards the end with Hull.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I'm going back sometime this week to see that you haven't picked a winner since MAYBE City 2014... even then I think you'd picked United.

Glad you're off of Spurs, though.

Please do. I'd be interested.

I was on the Chelsea bandwagon all of last year I'm pretty sure tbf. Other people shot me down.

Only had Man Utd to finish in the top 4 in 2014, which they did. Haven't picked them to win a league since Ferguson left.

Unfortunately didn't pick Leicester in 2016 :(

15 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Thought Alonso was your best player this summer by a mile, honestly not sure how he wasn't the first one sent off.  Didn't watch the 2nd half, was he even booked?

He was booked in he first three minutes of the game for a completely fair challenge that won him the ball. Honestly not sure why he got booked.  

My my problem with the ref is this: first the red card given the circumstances and timing, is a 50/50.  He called it a red, I'm not overly thrilled but I can see why.  BUT he has set a standard with that red.  Every call that follows must meet that standard.  Unfortunately it was only met for one side.  Burnley had three challenges alone that, by that standard, should have been red.  

Add on that rudiger picked up a yellow for a flop, fabregas' second yellow was very harsh for me since he won the ball, and he ref just didn't cut it today.  There were too many bookings for a game that was very fairly played and it impacts he next game too. 

14 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Poor Ranieri, he's going to be gone by October at this rate.

He had to use his 3 subs within the first 25 minutes, a first time for him. A fourth player finished the game with an arm in sling :o

Edited by FrFan

First half was disjointed but ended well off a great finish from Rooney. Second half was a massive improvement, created a lot of pressure and chances. Defensively really solid, if we can keep that up over the season we will be in good shape.

Pickford showing he was worth the 30 million today, played really well and an outstanding save at the end to preserve the 3 points.

1 hour ago, Morrison J said:

Please do. I'd be interested.

I was on the Chelsea bandwagon all of last year I'm pretty sure tbf. Other people shot me down.

Only had Man Utd to finish in the top 4 in 2014, which they did. Haven't picked them to win a league since Ferguson left.

Unfortunately didn't pick Leicester in 2016 :(

There's a 100% chance it was Spurs last year.  Almost positive about the year before as well, but not entirely.

Utd didn't finish top 4 that year did they?  That was David Moyes' year in 2014.

We both may have picked Chelsea for 2015, I think I said they wouldn't lose a game that year.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

There's a 100% chance it was Spurs last year.  Almost positive about the year before as well, but not entirely.

Utd didn't finish top 4 that year did they?  That was David Moyes' year in 2014.

We both may have picked Chelsea for 2015, I think I said they wouldn't lose a game that year.

I'd need evidence of that. I remember saying they play the best football in the division which I'd still stand by to this day. Pretty sure I never picked them to win the league outright though. Happy to be proven wrong on that.

In 2014/15? They finished 4th. Van Gaal's first year. 

Well that was a strange day. 6 goals but far from a good game of football. Do enough in the second half to more than win. But don't really deserve to win as outside of one player you were pretty awful for the majority of the game. 

Mané would be the only player on it today. Yeah, great to see Salah off the mark with a goal and assist. But he was pretty rank bad in most everything else he did. Poor decisions. Terrible finishing. Went into a nark after the calamitous Watford opener until the equaliser. Mignolet back to being bad Mignolet. Matip continuing his poor form the second half of last year. I'll excuse Trent as learning. And just WHY we have to suffer through Alby Moreno on a football pitch is the question of this or any other day. WTF is THAT all about? The fella' is, was and continues to be absolutely brain-dead and just doesn't learn. Yet again he dives in with that frigging stupid Kung-Fu tattle' B/S, misses his man, and leaves the right flank open for their second. Milner. Robertson. And you bring that absolute divvy back to start the season. WTF Jürgen?!!!!! Completely out muscled in midfield where Henderson, not surprisingly after missing most of last year, looked WELL off the pace. With everyone, bar Sadio, leaving their shooting boots at home up front. 

First half was a complete non-event save for the brilliant football and finish from Mané. Watford took that by a Country mile. Without really doing much. Made more bizarre by L'pool having more and better chances. Nice to see we've sorted out the problems of defending from a corner ...... Second half, Watford ran out of legs early and sat. Game turns from 1-2 to 3-2, without ever looking like it would, but that did set off an absolutely mad 5 minute or so celebration so there was that. (Coutinho not mentioned all game BTW. Which was probably for the better.). Then the perennial failure at not being able to kill a game off. Just how many chances do you need to take the fourth? Gini's abject attempt the worst of the bunch. But then you shouldn't have to score 4 away from home to win a game of football against ****e like Watford! And just to round off the day, more calamitous defending, from, you guessed it, another f-ing corner and a 93rd minute equaliser feeling like a defeat. The mad thing, as individually poor as they were, Watford barely troubled us defensively from open play. But what's it matter when you've not been able to defend a corner since Benitez left what, 7 years ago? Might be even longer. The more it happens, the more the years merge. 

At least Chelsea dropped. And there is Germany to look forward to Monday. 

Other than that, utter ****e Reds.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Ans you should have been sent to Coventry and completely cut off right there and then for that. 

You're lucky Mom's soft!!!!!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Ans you should have been sent to Coventry and completely cut off right there and then for that. 

You're lucky Mom's soft!!!!!

Hail. 

The Robbie Keane shirt wasn't mine.  I ****ing hate Coventry and I'm done talking about it.  That was over 20 years ago now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Morrison J said:

I'd need evidence of that. I remember saying they play the best football in the division which I'd still stand by to this day. Pretty sure I never picked them to win the league outright though. Happy to be proven wrong on that.

In 2014/15? They finished 4th. Van Gaal's first year. 

See, there you go... backtracking.

You said in "2014,"... and "finish," where they were 7th.  You don't "finish," in "2014," in "2015," brother.

It's all good, though.  I still use that tactic with my wife after 10 years of marriage it still works.

I'll concede the Spurs bit for at least the near future as I just don't feel like going back looking through this thread.  The only time that is really enjoyable for me is when it involves Richmond's unlikelihood of having a pinch of genetics from every country's top footballing club city in Europe.  That's truly amazing and we're blessed to have that kind of holy grail among us.

For you, J, it's all in fun. Cheers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

IF Mbappe does indeed move to PSG this week, so much for FFP.

But then that always has been 'selectively' enforced by the clowns at UEFA.

Hail.

And it might not be enough for the evil empire as they are rumored to try to sign Oblak for €60 mil !

It is believed that Qatar has paid for Neymar buy-out fee and that he will serve as an ambassador for the WC ! :ols:

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2