Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I'm in a WhatsApp group with my family who are all Liverpool fans and still live in Europe. After the game they started chatting about the result indirectly and I couldn't believe it.

Is the whole game available here? I didn't see it to DVR on any of the channels I get.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:15 PM, techboy said:

Are you a cardiologist looking to move to Barcelona and wanting to drum up some clients? Because if that happens after last year's Roma debacle...

Guess I had a hunch ;) Cardiologists are going to be busy as a matter of fact :)

Hail to the Scousers !

Barca usual jersey, Barca with a comfortable advantage jersey in CL

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

Guess I had a hunch ;) Cardiologists are going to be busy as a matter of fact :)

There's definitely a meltdown in Barcaland. Excellent reminder that every historic comeback is mirrored by an historic choke job, or bottle to use the football term, I guess.

My favorite comment thus far is roughly: "Okay... which of you told God in 2015 that if Barca won the Champions League you'd never ask for anything ever again?"

5 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Is the whole game available here? I didn't see it to DVR on any of the channels I get.

I won't be seeking out any replays for obvious reasons*, but it was aired on TNT (English) and Univision (Spanish), and Bleacher Report Live (pay per view), so you could probably start there. I think BR Live shows replays, actually.

*I was pretty upset, but I think I woke up at 4:30 AM because I'm still jetlagged, and not because of that. Not a good combination, though.

• Like 2

@techboy You didn’t choke/ bottle anything mate. You just came up against Anfield in all her powerful, majestic glory. A place were the impossible regularly becomes possible. A place theres no equal anywhere when we’re fully on it in Europe. Coupled with an absolutely stunning L’pool display that no side would have contained. Thats football. Anyone telling you, you bottled it, tell them to do one! 

As Jurgen said his post match, ‘We know this club is the mix of atmosphere, emotion, desire and football quality. Cut one off and it doesn’t work.’

When all that comes together, we’re unstoppable. 

Anyway, this might cheer you up. A post from one of our crews facey page with a message to our ‘mates’ from last week with our flags-

07AAAF06-866B-4A70-AB39-E9BA6CC35296.png.4d9ecc0b6762b4b073ed80088c086840.png

You think if I ask them to sew another star on for us they will? 

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

I'm in a WhatsApp group with my family who are all Liverpool fans and still live in Europe. After the game they started chatting about the result indirectly and I couldn't believe it.

I think you can find it on YouTube

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

@techboy You didn’t choke/ bottle anything mate. You just came up against Anfield in all her powerful, majestic glory. A place were the impossible regularly becomes possible. A place theres no equal anywhere when were fully on it in Europe. Coupled with an absolutely stunning L’pool display that no side would have contained. Thats football. Anyone telling you, you bottled it, tell them to do one! 

As Jurgen said his post match, ‘We know this club is the mix of atmosphere, emotion, desire and football quality. Cut one off and it doesn’t work.’

When all that comes together, we’re unstoppable. 

Anyway, this might cheer you up. A post from one of our crews facey page with a message to our ‘mates’ from last week with our flags-

07AAAF06-866B-4A70-AB39-E9BA6CC35296.png.4d9ecc0b6762b4b073ed80088c086840.png

You think if I ask them to sew another star on for us they will? 

Hail.

Choked some clear cut chances in the first half. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I think you can find it on YouTube

I didn't see it. I don't know why my DVR didn't automatically record it. Hopefully TNT will have it on Demand very soon. All the other Champions League games are on there. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

@techboy You didn’t choke/ bottle anything mate. You just came up against Anfield in all her powerful, majestic glory. A place were the impossible regularly becomes possible. A place theres no equal anywhere when we’re fully on it in Europe. Coupled with an absolutely stunning L’pool display that no side would have contained. Thats football. Anyone telling you, you bottled it, tell them to do one! 

Well, first, Liverpool played amazingly well. Totally deserved, especially given that while I don't think you're correct that Liverpool outplayed Barca in the first leg, the score line definitely flattered Barca. It's legitimately another piece of a storied legacy, and Liverpool deserved to move on.

That being noted, you're (understandably) getting carried away here. Barca totally choked. Messi put several insane passes on a silver platter, only to have their recipients blow it. Messi himself was uncharacteristically wasteful. One away goal would have made the whole thing moot, and they could have had three or four.

Further, the away goal might not have been needed if Alba hadn't chosen the wrong moment to transform from arguably best left back in the world into Sunday League player, Ter Stegen hadn't let a softie through, the entire defense didn't look old and slow, and they weren't standing around watching while Liverpool took a quick corner.

The atmosphere was unreal, and Liverpool played out of their minds (especially missing two thirds of their attack), but ultimately, it shouldn't have mattered for the result of the tie. Barca choked.

The reality is, also, that I suspect that Messi has been papering over the fact that Barca is getting old and slow, and needs an infusion of youth. The only young, fast, exciting player who regularly plays (Dembele) was hurt, and it showed, especially against a side that is so athletic and well organized.

Pretty funny response to Boixos Nois though.

Barcelona's Bus Left Anfield Without Lionel Messi Last Night

fb5221585cd2145b828ab1a0eb726742.png

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Here you go

40 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

You guys have a very harsh take on ‘choking.’

Just football. 

Hail. 

Well, as every sports fan knows, it's easy to be magnanimous in victory (even if it's not always done) and bitter in defeat.

Every sports fan also knows that sports suck. 😃 I seriously wondered last night why I let myself get sucked back in to something like this after I was out clean, but of course, the truth is also that most of us don't really choose.

Still, there is a lot of truth in what you wrote, that it is "just football" (also that it is a "cruel game" from the first leg).

One of the things that I found weird when first getting into the football culture, and totally understandable now, is how often fans and commentators would talk about "lucky" and "unlucky". Following US sports I never really heard that.

But then, as I spent more time watching Barca, I got it. Barca has world class players at nearly every position, and the player many consider the greatest of all time, in his prime, and yet they often struggle to win against theoretically lesser sides. Sure, they usually do, but it's often by one or two goals, which is not what I would expect when playing a team, for example, where Messi's wages alone are more than the other club's entire operating budget (and this happens).

But, the reality is, it's hard to score in football, and skill has a hard time prevailing. I actually looked into it, and there are multiple research studies confirming this... Football is essentially random. It's crazy.

Over a long season, the randomness evens out (generally), and the cream rises to the top, but over a two legged tie, anything can happen. This is how Barca can blow Madrid away in La Liga, yet Madrid won three Champions Leagues in a row. They were good, but they were also VERY lucky. The last two years, Real finished behind Atleti, so a good case can be made that despite the Champions League title, Real is not even the best team in Madrid!

That being noted, I don't mean to take anything away from Liverpool's performance.

*EDIT* This is an example of what I'm talking about from the MIT Technology Review: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/415507/the-statistical-problem-with-soccer/

They call it “the beautiful game,” but from a statistical point of view, soccer’s beauty is little more than skin deep. At least that’s how Gerald Skinner from the University of Maryland and his mate Guy Freeman see things. It’s hard not to agree when you look at the game from their point of view

football.gif?sw=350

Their approach is to think of a soccer game as an experiment to determine which of two teams is the best. The question then is this: What is the probability that the outcome of the experiment truly represents the relative abilities of the two teams? And the answer, unfortunately, is: not very probable.

Edited by techboy

@techboy

Mate, I never thought you were taking away from L’pool’s performance. More the complete opposite and being really harsh on Barcelona.

Yeah, things are a lot more linear with American sports. Its black and white. You either win. Or you’re a loser. There’s no leeway for context a lot of the time. Football at the highest level is a game of such fine, fine margins. This tie could easily have ended up 7/8 all over the two games. 

When you just look back after the event without context, that happens time after time after time, and just say a score line or who won, it paints a completely false narrative. 

It’s cultural and is what it is but the clinical nature of how you guys view something has always been one of those things I’ve never really gotten.

Any way, come in Ajax tonight. The very LAST thing I want is to be spending a few days in Madrid with a bunch of c ockney whoppers. That would be moody.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is what I was saying that Klopp said earlier, he understands there is no shame in finishing 2nd which will likely happen after Sunday :( Liverpool had a phenomenal season it was just that Citeh won like 12 straight PL games to take the title back on the last day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1