Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I think we'll stick with both JV and Select, but I need some perspective help on how to deal with getting slaughtered.

Part of being a goalkeeper is having a short memory and a thick skin. Your going to make mistakes - even the very very best make the odd howler - and they invariably cost a goal. Once it's done it's done - you can't dwell on it. Same with being on the end of a hiding, got to keep your chin up play hard to the end and just control what you can control yourself.

Chalk it up to experience and roll on.

On the subject of our kids my youngest is off to the Man City Academy in two weeks - he's about to turn 9 and is also a goalkeeper. He's been invited down for an assessment to see if they want to offer him a place in their main academy in the U9's set up.

• Like 3

No word of a lie if you don't this could be a Wednesday-esq scenario.

Hail.

We've already been there and done that. We've actually got the players to be a petty good team at Championship level - it needs a coach who knows what he's doing and who has the players respect. If we get some Italian retread who has no idea about English football it could all go horribly wrong (or carry on going horribly wrong more accurately). Edited by MartinC

We've already been there and done that. We've actually got the players to be a petty good team at Championship level - it needs a coach who knows what he's doing and who has the players respect. If we get some Italian retread who has no idea about English football it could all go horribly wrong (or carry on going horribly wrong more accurately).

Third division? When was that?

Only remember City, Sunderland and Wednesday as relatively 'big' clubs that fell that far. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Hail.

We did not make it that far but we had 4 seasons in the current Div 1 (which is the old third division) from 2007- 2010. We got promoted back to the Championship at the end of the 2010 season. Edited by MartinC

Sounds like my brief career as a keeper.  You look really bad when your defense exposes you.  But I'll leave the constructive advice to our resident keeper, MartinC.

Yeah, it hurt no doubt about it. I keep reminding myself that he's 12 playing against mostly high schoolers, but I've seen much different results when there was a defense there to support him. Instead it was a shooting gallery from 18 yards!

Ugh!!

Yeah, it hurt no doubt about it. I keep reminding myself that he's 12 playing against mostly high schoolers, but I've seen much different results when there was a defense there to support him. Instead it was a shooting gallery from 18 yards!

Ugh!!

why are their field players so ineffective? The forwards and midfielder have a big role to play in winning the ball back.

It's very unlikely for opponents to score if they can't get within 25 yards of goal. Even from 18 yards is still a low percentage shot. Unfortunately, and of course they are cherry picked photos, but you have attackers closer than 6 yards to the goal and no one really "touch tight" to them. 

If you're up for it and can get higher up on the grandstands, take a wide angle shot of the whole field when the opponents have the ball. 

It's hard to teach players skill with the ball, but there are very few players of a certain age that can't be taught how to defend effectively (and relatively quickly) individually, in pairs, and in small groups of 3 or 4. Why? Because it's just running to a spot. You don't have to control a ball or anything. 

Edited by Elessar78

I haven't said anything about getting behind bayern. I'm very partial to Dortmund remember? This was a request of two German teammates of mine. They weren't fond my recent comments lol. They just wanted to see if they can improve my view of their club. Honestly its probably a nice idea.  I mean maybe my hate is out of line.  Not completely I'm sure.  Someone called me out recently on this thread for my comments so honestly maybe its a good to get a better of idea of how bayern completely works.  That way if I continue to hate them I have my reasons prepared.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

why are their field players so ineffective? The forwards and midfielder have a big role to play in winning the ball back.

The biggest single issue is that our defenders keep clearing the ball to the center of the field! Ugh! Next, would probably be the lack of a good clearing effort when they do get the ball, two-touching on corner receptions and the like. I lost track of how many times our defenders were just out side of our keeper box and decided to try and play the ball forward rather than just clearing it out from the goal!

It's very unlikely for opponents to score if they can't get within 25 yards of goal. Even from 18 yards is still a low percentage shot. Unfortunately, and of course they are cherry picked photos, but you have attackers closer than 6 yards to the goal and no one really "touch tight" to them.

As for the photos, yeah they are cherry picked, but representative of what was happening. I kid you not, our midfielders were adjusting further back than our rear defenders!! My son was 1-on-1 no less than 5 times. My buddy counted and said he had 14 saves, the announcer just kept repeating, "Shot stopped by the keeper...#2 Ethan J."

If you're up for it and can get higher up on the grandstands, take a wide angle shot of the whole field when the opponents have the ball.

They don't play for a few days, but I'll try to remember. I'm not the one who takes these pics, normally I'm down on the fan sidelines even with the 18 yard line on the side my son is defending.

It's hard to teach players skill with the ball, but there are very few players of a certain age that can't be taught how to defend effectively (and relatively quickly) individually, in pairs, and in small groups of 3 or 4. Why? Because it's just running to a spot. You don't have to control a ball or anything.

Part of it the other night was that the attackers were running crossing routes and our defenders had their backs to the ball and spent most of the night confused.

Honestly, it was just REALLY bad.

We left in such a foul mood that we didn't even discuss the match on the way home.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

I haven't said anything about getting behind bayern. I'm very partial to Dortmund remember? This was a request of two German teammates of mine. They weren't fond my recent comments lol. They just wanted to see if they can improve my view of their club. Honestly its probably a nice idea. I mean maybe my hate is out of line. Not completely I'm sure. Someone called me out recently on this thread for my comments so honestly maybe its a good to get a better of idea of how bayern completely works. That way if I continue to hate them I have my reasons prepared.

just giving you ****, RR. follow who you want to follow... PSG and Juve next? (ha, just more ****)

On a side note I think my best friend might be partially to blame for my hate of Bayern.  A few friends of mine mentioned to me that he intentionally tries do what he can to make me hate them.  Considering I get annoying at how he supports them anyway I'm sure that doesn't help.  He basically only cares about Germans playing on the team.  I asked him about Mario's transfer to athletico and he was like who the hell is that?  He almost switched to Arsenal this year because it would have more Germans.  I should note he was rooting for Germany during the World Cup though he's not German.  Actually rolled up into a bar full of American supporters and was called out by some German fans.  Two weeks ago I giving him some crap about Bayern just dying the semis and he said I'm not a Bayern fan so it doesn't matter to me. Then yesterday he said he was.  I hate fan when convenient crap.  Utd sucks but I still wear my stuff (Hell I'm wearing it to work for sports day today.  Which has a lot of soccer fans. I don't get grief for the clubs I like because I don't try to hide them)

just giving you ****, RR. follow who you want to follow... PSG and Juve next? (ha, just more ****)

I don't know anything about French league lol.  Only thing I know about PSG is Beckham played there and and they had some racial issues years ago.  Juventus is cool (I use them on FIFA alot) but I don't really play attention to Serie A. Too many teams to juggle too lol.  I very much blame that old journal passed through my family naming Bavaria and Munich for trying to be nice to Bayern now also lol.  I mainly watch La Liga, EPL, and Bunda. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Only remember City, Sunderland and Wednesday as relatively 'big' clubs that fell that far. 

Hail.

You saying Forest aren't a big club....not that I'm proud of those Lg1 days but come on, give us some former credit !!!

You saying Forest aren't a big club....not that I'm proud of those Lg1 days but come on, give us some former credit !!!

Yeah, forgot you scab so and so's fell that low too. 

My bad.  :P

Hail. 

*Edit* And you must be a MEGA club considering you're only 1 European Cup behind Manchester United who we know are the biggest club in the history of the Universe EVER!  ;)

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

My bad.  :P

Hail. 

*Edit* And you must be a MEGA club considering you're only 1 European Cup behind Manchester United who we know are the biggest club in the history of the Universe EVER!  ;)

Haha, scabs indeed...the love does run deep between clubs doesn't it.

• Like 1

My bad. :P

Hail.

*Edit* And you must be a MEGA club considering you're only 1 European Cup behind Manchester United who we know are the biggest club in the history of the Universe EVER! ;)

Just England.

Where do you get the money for all these moves? lol

More turkey sides

Being as you're interested, only booked the Madrid flight thus far. (Going out late Sunday afternoon. Back Wednesday lunch via Brussels.). That run to the equivalent of around 240 bucks. Which I was made up with. If you get in early and no where your looking before the airlines catch on and hike the prices you can get a good bargain. Hotels look real reasonable too. Then all your talking is spends for food and (copious) amounts of wine.  :lol:. But we've been to Madrid a few times now and know some reasonable, quality places to go so that helps. 

Hail. 

Being as you're interested, only booked the Madrid flight thus far. (Going out late Sunday afternoon. Back Wednesday lunch via Brussels.). That run to the equivalent of around 240 bucks. Which I was made up with. If you get in early and no where your looking before the airlines catch on and hike the prices you can get a good bargain. Hotels look real reasonable too. Then all your talking is spends for food and (copious) amounts of wine. :lol:. But we've been to Madrid a few times now and know some reasonable, quality places to go so that helps.

Hail.

I would love to hear all your stories over the years. I know you've told a few but still.

There's so much about football culture that I want to learn more about. (You're still a dick tho lol)

What's the biggest match you've been to?