Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

The cup is nothing to sneeze at but I do agree that Arsenal supporters have let it get to their head a bit too much, but that's not to say that LFC have not let their 2nd-place finish get to theirs either. Can't we all just get along? :D Easy for me to make such a suggestion since I've never stepped foot in England and have no real tangible grasp on the immensity of the local supporters' passion.

We're just messing around.

I love everyone...except GHH of course

It's just that we're the only two clubs represented in this thread outside of 1 or 2 Man U fans

• Like 2

The cup is nothing to sneeze at but I do agree that Arsenal supporters have let it get to their head a bit too much, but that's not to say that LFC have not let their 2nd-place finish get to theirs either. Can't we all just get along? :D  Easy for me to make such a suggestion since I've never stepped foot in England and have no real tangible grasp on the immensity of the local supporters' passion.

shall we pull out our books and see who paid more for what?

Hey, I mean, if Carragher and Fairy Neville can get along when the Sky Sports cameras turn on, why can't we?

You've got to have thick skin in here.  There isn't a person in here that I don't go to bat for on this board in other threads.

The football fan is a special type of fan.  Have some fun with it.

You've got to have thick skin in here.  There isn't a person in here that I don't go to bat for on this board in other threads.

The football fan is a special type of fan.  Have some fun with it.

Oh trust me, I get it. Not necessarily my cup of tea but boy it sure is fun pointing at Man U and laughing. I anticipate it will be a similar feeling pointing at the Patriots after Brady retires.

China Town in downtown DC?

Because I know you sure as Hell aren't talking bout the Continent like that with a straight face.

Hail.

I can say with reasonable confidence that Iraq and Afghanistan both LOVE la liga.  It's not even close.

Either Real or Barca. 

When I was in Iraq in 2006, my interpreter thought Liverpool were in Bundesliga. 

Ok seriously, DC and GHH, how excited are you for Markovic? I remember watching his highlights a few weeks back and coming away very impressed.

Honestly I'm not worried about our build up and that's where I'd have him playing. 

We need a couple of fullbacks and a no-**** striker who can finish.  I don't want to be like some sides who pass the ball around the 18 for 5 minutes and then shoot it from 25 yards out :P

In other words, I like the signing, it seems I'll have to get used to the money be so big I guess.  But he is good player for sure. 

Ok seriously, DC and GHH, how excited are you for Markovic? I remember watching his highlights a few weeks back and coming away very impressed.

Meh. Never seen him play. Or even heard of him before the interest. Seems a heck of a lot for a 20 year old

Who knows?

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

We're just messing around.

I love everyone...except GHH of course

It's just that we're the only two clubs represented in this thread outside of 1 or 2 Man U fans

Don't forget about the Leeds and Blackburn contingent. Mr Stripes may be the only Everton fan, but he makes enough noise for 10 supporters...

Honestly I'm not worried about our build up and that's where I'd have him playing. 

We need a couple of fullbacks and a no-**** striker who can finish.  I don't want to be like some sides who pass the ball around the 18 for 5 minutes and then shoot it from 25 yards out :P

In other words, I like the signing, it seems I'll have to get used to the money be so big I guess.  But he is good player for sure. 

Sometimes I wish Arsenal would follow the logic of signing young more often but when I really think about it, I realize they've guessed wrong on young talent in a bad way in the past.

I can see the logic behind both philosophies. If you bring in a player at age 18-20, sign them to a 4-5 year contract, they're going to want a move away from your club once that contract is up in all likelihood (if you haven't given up on said player and allowed him to walk in the meantime). Same goes for a veteran in his prime (age 26-29). Once that contract is up, he's going to either be out of gas, or push for a move to a different club for the twilight of his career.

I guess the idea is to get a good mix of young and experienced talent. Arsenal have a fairly good mix of both at this point, I reckon. Still, although we have players like Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, I still feel as though we lack young attacking talent. I'm wondering if I feel this way due to the lack of goals scored last season.

I guess the idea is to get a good mix of young and experienced talent. Arsenal have a fairly good mix of both at this point, I reckon. Still, although we have players like Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, I still feel as though we lack young attacking talent. I'm wondering if I feel this way due to the lack of goals scored last season.

That's where we'll miss Suarez.  He was the perfect dance partner for Sturridge... they even left about 10 goals on the field between the two of them because whichever one was being selfish at the time was feeling it. 

So the signing of Markovic is good for build up, but not finishing.  We need one more, strong finisher and I'll be happy if the rest of the moves follow suit. 

I mean half the ppl you mentioned missed months of action.

The offensive issue from last season was the lack of a top level striker.

Out of likes, but well said.  Hopefully we won't fall into the same boat this season. 

I mean half the ppl you mentioned missed months of action.

The offensive issue from last season was the lack of a top level striker

I understand. That seems to be what everyone thinks. I was speaking more to just the general overall philosophy of the club and how they go about acquiring talent as it relates to the age groups.

I must say, however, that top-quality center-forwards aren't just out there for the taking either. It's like an NFL fan-base clamoring for a top QB when everyone knows they don't grow on trees.

Don't forget about the Leeds and Blackburn contingent. Mr Stripes may be the only Everton fan, but he makes enough noise for 10 supporters...

I think I may be the only West Ham supporter in the thread, but I'm pretty quiet about it since they play pretty bland football.  Except when they beat Spurs.  Then I start texting a bunch of friends.

Two things on Aspas...

1) hopefully that was part of the package for Alberto Moreno

2) that opens up a reserve spot for Ibe/Borini

Aspas was terrible this year. ..,..

It's a frigging year long loan. SMH.

I swear that **** Ayre only want to Sevilla on a wine and tapas bender at our expense.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

FrFan, I want to watch another club and it's AS Monaco. So tell me the good things about them, as I want to follow one of my favorite new players, James Rodriguez. I know they finished 2nd behind PSG. Also there is a rumor that Barca and RM are in a bidding war for his services. 

Will the owner match any deal? I want to follow a new league this season.  

http://www.barcablaugranes.com/2014/7/14/5898217/report-james-rodriguez-barcelona-real-madrid-transfer

One for a Old Bay here. This is an official Blackburn club video promoting their new home shirt. It's, well, remarkable ....

Remarkable, indeed. ;)    I think the blue should be darker, but overall it's a nice looking shirt.