Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I'm babbling so I'll stop. It just brought it home to me yet again as we we're talking about this player and that game to come in this title race that football and sport really is an insignificant part of what truly matters in life. 25 years man. A quarter of a Century. 

I HATE the 15th April. 

Hail. 

I lived in Sheffield for 3 years about half a mile from Hillsborough, you could hear the crowd noise from our back garden on match days. I drove past the ground every day on my way to work and every time I did I thought about what had happened on that ground. 

I cant believe it was 25 years ago.

Hope I get to watch the 30 for 30 tonight, though it's not likely and I'm one of those weirdos that don't have a DVR.  All the best to the Liverpool community on this infamous anniversary. 

I'll post it to the other thread after it comes on youtube.  They're typically available within the week of the premier.

Definitely the best YNWA for me (from the City match on Sunday).  With gusto, pride, hope, and remembrance.  You can definitely feel the waive of emotions watching this.  That Anne Williams banner gets me everytime.  Could not imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UPeulnY6c#aid=P-tOe9s7WJg

Edited by DC9

There were some corrupt ****s in that south yorkshire police force with blood on their hands. May they rot in hell. 

Thanks to Phil Scraton for his unending fight. Amazed by that man. He should be knighted. 

Anyone who didn't watch the program do yourself a favor and watch it. This is bigger than just soccer/football and it's bigger than just Liverpool, this hits to the very heart of who we are as humans.

It's about human rights being denied, about a cover up of culpability by the police and corruption from the highest. It shows again, as we've seen endlessly throughout human existence, that corruption knows no bounds. That even the very underlings of the police force can be victim to the cover up / corruption.

There were altered sworn statements changed, statements made by official policemen edited and altered, the criminalizing of the innocent dead, all in the name to save face for the establishment, the government and the police force.

It's sickening. 

This could happen to anyone, anywhere. 

Edited by Monk4thaHALL
  • Like 5

Well, I knew it couldn't last forever, but the clean sheets streak lasted for 5 1/2 games! Which is crazy for middle school soccer.
Tonight we faced our conference rival and fell 2-1. We went up midway through the first half and went into the 2nd half still 1-0. They started pushing into our end and then ended up with a corner kick. The kick was well placed and went over my son's head near the far post but one of his team-mates kicked up at it and then deflected the ball into the net! Own-goal....sigh. The second goal was caused when my son called the defender off the ball but the defender deflected the ball toward the center of the field now placing my son out of position as he was approaching the ball to scoop it up, unfortunately the opposition striker was right there and had a point blank shot just outside of the keeper box. As frustrating as tonight was I am super proud of him, he was disappointed but now he has the "streak" monkey off his back. Good thing is that we're still ramnked #2 in the conference but our division rival is #1....so I doubt this battle is over just yet.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement! I will continue to keep you posted.

*edit*

He told me this morning that he's not at all disappointed about the goals last night, "hadn't thought about them". Short memory kiddo!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

That ESPN 30 for 30 was incredible to watch. As a Liverpool fan from childhood, more than 40 years, parts were very, very hard to get through.

If the program had ended with You'll Never Walk Alone from last Sunday I would have been bawling like a baby.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

That 30 for 30 was so powerful.

Interesting that a Sheffield Wednesday fan directed it.  His insight on the ground itself was very interesting... and the depths of his background story (how Spurs and Wolves had NEARLY the exact same problem in the Leppings Lane End in 1981) and why Duckenfield was even in charge due to the prank that all of those police were in on a few months before the FA Cup semis.

And the way he made you feel you had a family member in the pen, then walked you through the experience of the family members.  From how they had to wait for word on their child/spouse, etc to how the Police treated them immediately following finding out their family member had past, and on through the numerous court battles.

Very powerful.

• Like 1

As previously stated, the 30 for 30 was very powerful and very well done. You definitely saw the tragedy from the families and survivors' eyes. You also say how resilient these people are. You saw fans helping each other out and desperately trying to save whomever they could. You saw a community that wouldn't accept anything short of the truth. You saw people that deserved justice for their loved ones. I saw just how tough and passionate the Scouse really are. 

• Like 1

..... I saw just how tough and passionate the Scouse really are. 

As part of that community thank you sincerely for those kind words j man. I honestly believe had this been any other football club and any other City, the coverup would of stood and there'd of been nothing like the resilient fight of the last 25 years standing up to and taking head on the highest powers in the Land. But that's what we do. We stand up for what we believe in. Be it being one of the very few City's to fight back against Thatchers disgraceful reign to the point where as much as she hated Liverpool, she respected us; through guys like Robbie Fowler saying FU to the FA and supporting the dockers in their fight; through the biggest coverup in British history. You can't keep a good City down. 

And thank you for putting up Matinez and Rodgers words. Highly dignified, highly powerful speeches by both I hadn't thus far seen. 

JFT96.

• Like 1

That 30 for 30 was so powerful.

Interesting that a Sheffield Wednesday fan directed it.  His insight on the ground itself was very interesting... and the depths of his background story (how Spurs and Wolves had NEARLY the exact same problem in the Leppings Lane End in 1981) and why Duckenfield was even in charge due to the prank that all of those police were in on a few months before the FA Cup semis.

And the way he made you feel you had a family member in the pen, then walked you through the experience of the family members.  From how they had to wait for word on their child/spouse, etc to how the Police treated them immediately following finding out their family member had past, and on through the numerous court battles.

Very powerful.

ESPN upto their usual high standards huh? That's great to read and as hard as the watch is, great that the US public at large are finally getting an informed, truthful viewpoint. 

Hail. 

ESPN upto their usual high standards huh? That's great to read and as hard as the watch is, great that the US public at large are finally getting an informed, truthful viewpoint. 

Hail. 

Just think, GHH - everyone will finally understand you avatar now without having to ask.

A bit let down Heysel isn't a subject of one of the 30 for 30's. The PL being the marketing monstrosity it is today has been a key to the push the sport has received in the U.S, and Heysel had a big hand in shaping the landscape of English football as we know it today. Maybe they're afraid to show the dark side of soccer but I don't think it would hurt to shed some light on some of the events we have learned from to make the sport what it is.

Edited by SJValleySkinz

Hail. 

It's an espn series, but they all come from independent film makers. So well above the espn standard.

It'll be a rough watch for you, if it effected me that deeply it'll be rough for you for sure. But when you're ready, it'll be a good one.

I've watched most of the BBC documentaries on Hillsborough and they've all seemingly used the same group of family members. This one had new members and players (like the professor) who I'd not seen or heard from in any of the previous documentaries. The director seemed to do his homework and wanted to make as independent a product as possible.

• Like 1

I may have to buy a Connor Wickham jersey!!

Well, I knew it couldn't last forever, but the clean sheets streak lasted for 5 1/2 games! Which is crazy for middle school soccer.
Tonight we faced our conference rival and fell 2-1. We went up midway through the first half and went into the 2nd half still 1-0. They started pushing into our end and then ended up with a corner kick. The kick was well placed and went over my son's head near the far post but one of his team-mates kicked up at it and then deflected the ball into the net! Own-goal....sigh. The second goal was caused when my son called the defender off the ball but the defender deflected the ball toward the center of the field now placing my son out of position as he was approaching the ball to scoop it up, unfortunately the opposition striker was right there and had a point blank shot just outside of the keeper box. As frustrating as tonight was I am super proud of him, he was disappointed but now he has the "streak" monkey off his back. Good thing is that we're still ramnked #2 in the conference but our division rival is #1....so I doubt this battle is over just yet.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement! I will continue to keep you posted.

*edit*

He told me this morning that he's not at all disappointed about the goals last night, "hadn't thought about them". Short memory kiddo!

That's too bad...Maybe it's time he pick up some quirks?

Just kidding. This is just an opportunity to start a new streak!

A bit let down Heysel isn't a subject of one of the 30 for 30's......

Being the absolute cluster **** that was Heysel was my second European Cup final, and really began the year prior at my first in Rome; I could give a first hand perspective if folk are interested.

But yeah, a 30 for 30 on that horrible day would be a good addition.

Hail.

Being the absolute cluster **** that was Heysel was my second European Cup final, and really began the year prior at my first in Rome; I could give a first hand perspective if folk are interested.

But yeah, a 30 for 30 on that horrible day would be a good addition.

Hail.

The way football supporters were behaving back then it could have been whoever was eliminated in the semi finals or anyone else for that matter and it was in a country that I can't imagine has police that have any extensive experience in riot control. I've always wondered what English football would look like right now if Heysel had never happened. Does our league continue to dominate Europe? Does the team I support enjoy the same success without ashes to rise from? Would the effort to clean up hooliganism come because it's the right thing to do without it having to be in the wake of a tragedy? I lived in Oxford during my time in England but visited Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester during my time in the country and northern Englanders (other than some of their terrible taste in football teams) are for the most part outstanding people. The thing that bothers me the most is that this was seen as a reflection on them for so long and not the plague of hooliganism as a whole.

A bit let down Heysel isn't a subject of one of the 30 for 30's.

Just stop dude.

Just stop.

I think your being a bit childish and insensitive at the same time.

If you want to bring up something like this bring it up in a couple of weeks.  Not the week of this anniversary.  Everyone sees right through you and frankly my opinion of you just hit the ****s for this comment alone.

Have some bedside manor.

*edit*

The pressures of streaks are so tough. In my division we'e one of two undefeated teams going into the late second half of the season.  Straight point system so we're literally separated by a couple of points.  But every team brings their best.  Except last game where we won 9-1 and the other team just checked out after 4-1 basically.  Right now the schedule works out so we would meet the undefeated team for the title on the last day assuming both teams keep winning. Two teams get promoted too. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1

*edit*

Having a very very short memory is essential if he's going to be a keeper. You have to be able to shrug off mistakes and focus on whats happening not whats happened and you cant start doubting yourself. It takes a strong personality and a lot of self confidence to be a really good keeper.

Meanwhile things are getting even more interesting in the Premier League run in. That Liverpool v Chelsea game is starting to look pivotal now though I'm sure there will some more twists before its all done. Either Liverpool or Chelsea now have the title in their own hands - if either team wins out its theirs. I don't think either team will win out though .....

• Like 1

Just stop dude.

Just stop.

I think your being a bit childish and insensitive at the same time.

If you want to bring up something like this bring it up in a couple of weeks. Not the week of this anniversary. Everyone sees right through you and frankly my opinion of you just hit the ****s for this comment alone.

Have some bedside manor.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or after I posted my response to GHH? If I wanted someone to tell me I'm thinking I'd just talk to my woman all day. Assuming you know what I'm thinking and accusing me of something just because I support a rival club to yours is childish. I don't need your permission to post about anything and I damn sure don't need you deciding what my intentions are. Get over yourself.

13887440721_cf324a7845_b.jpg

A note on his streak........

World Cup Match = 90 minutes

517 min/90= 5.74 matches without a goal conceded

Middle School Match = 70 minutes

385 min/70= 5.5 matches without a goal conceded

I'm not sayin'.....I'm jus' sayin'

LoL!

(And for those who may not realize...yes I do understand the difference between skill levels)

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

Bayern and Dortmund to meet in another Final this season - the DFB Pokal (German Cup).

Bayern had a resounding win over 1FCK (Kaiserlauten), 5-1.  They will take on Dortmund, 2-0 winners the day before.

Next meaningful match for Bayern will be @ Real Madrid next week.

Mia San Mia!!!