Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

6 minutes ago, jobaga said:

I don't Understand not having a backup plan to VVD. I guess Joe 'The Living Legend' will play more of his natural position once Clyne gets fit. I don't trust Klavan. He is way too inconsistent and not nearly athletic enough.

i appreciate not spending money on players just to spend money, and klopp definitely has a "type" that he's looking for.  i also understand that it takes three to tango (buying club, selling club, and player).  but damn... it's frustrating to see the team not have backup options that will help the team THIS year (though i love the keita move, just wish it were for this year) when clubs don't sell players that want to come to liverpool.  to come out of this window without a center back to upgrade the back 4 is criminal... and certainly our current crop of cb's aren't so good that there aren't upgrades available. 

here's to hoping for a light injury year...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dchogs said:

i appreciate not spending money on players just to spend money, and klopp definitely has a "type" that he's looking for.  i also understand that it takes three to tango (buying club, selling club, and player).  but damn... it's frustrating to see the team not have backup options that will help the team THIS year (though i love the keita move, just wish it were for this year) when clubs don't sell players that want to come to liverpool.  to come out of this window without a center back to upgrade the back 4 is criminal... and certainly our current crop of cb's aren't so good that there aren't upgrades available. 

here's to hoping for a light injury year...

Or that Joe will continue to develop into the stub CB we all hope he become! I know Lovern had a great year last year (for the most part), but I think most of that was because we expected so little from him. Matip reads the game well but needs to be stronger and more physical. I don't want Klavan to play anything exect the first couple of rounds of the League Cup...

I love Conte!! He's not the Normal One, but he's a great tactician. He expects a lot from his player and will replace the ones that don't want to work for their teammates. He's a winner, but will probably wear out his welcome as he has very little tolerance for divas.

38 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

At least he'll get Danny Drinkwater.

That's a bit misleading, but I get it.  Media love to drum up all the drama.  Ox is the only one who rejected us, and he did so for his club he grew up rooting for.  Lukaku and llorente we never made a formal move for.  The price quoted for both was too high for marina.  Barkley, well he agreed to personal terms with us but popped out during his medical, for any number of reasons being that he's injured.  More likely than not, he is ours in January if we want him...I'm sure we believe we can get him cheaper then considering he will not have played for a while and still won't accept an Everton contract. 

I really don't know how to grade out this window. 

On the one hand, they've improved the quality of the depth and bagged 2 of their three main targets. (If Keita a year down the line counts? Or is that to be graded on next summers window?). On the other, the one position they needed to add above all else they've come away empty handed after maddingly f-ing themselves over early in the summer. 

Made up with the signings we've actually made. Salah is arguably the most exciting signing of the entire English window for a bargain price. (Which was at the time a club record. Put's a lot into perspective as regards Liverpool in the transfer market the PL era until this summer.). FINALLY, we have a natural LB outside of the continued brain-dead clown that is Alby. Solanke looks an absolute gem of a prospect who's done that well he's forced Origi out on loan already. And Oxo-Chambo (still working on a name) adds great versatility and quality depth that upgrades the squad again. 

But that's tempered with the last day frustration. Lemar I don't blame them for at all. They had £75 million for Pete's sake on the table for a lad who had asked to be allowed to come. But when it get's to £92 million for a still developing, relatively inexperienced 20-year-old, it's time to walk away. van Dijk is what leaves the window feeling like a loss. You can only presume the serious threat of a transfer ban was too much for them to bid without Southampton's blessing after the way they bungled it early summer. It was a massive, calculated gamble knowing right through he only wanted to go to them that back-fired down to Southampton standing firm and making their own point. 

Talking of, as much as I personally wanted rid of the little sh*t, fair play to FSG for completely standing firm on Coutinho. Like Southampton, they had to be seen to sticking to their guns to once and for all hammer home we are no longer a selling club and won't be bullied by anyone. And the plus side of all that, when Phil is over his little strop, you still have a World class footballer for the year to utilise. 

That's been the one major win for me this window. The complete shift in policy from the owners to back the manager as much as they can within reason. They just happened to pick a couple of stubborn clubs to try do their main dealings with. People can criticise them all they like for ultimately falling short the final day. But they've been willing to drop £70 plus million on van Dijk. Similar on Lemar. They were pushing that for Keita. (Who they ultimately got a lot cheaper in an absolutely superb deal. Albeit a year down the line but still.). Even Mbappe they had serious interest in if he'd decided to come to England and would have been rivalling any English club on that score. All without having to sell to fund that spree. They can't be held accountable for clubs just refusing to take their money no matter how high they went. Or for a manager wanting only top bracket targets and not demeaning any alternatives better than what he already has. All in all, with that very noticeable shift in policy, a very good and pleasing window from the owners. Just, again, doesn't seem it with the failure on van Dijk through our own stupidness. 

3rd highest net spend save for clarification of late deals too league wide which needs taking into consideration. Most of our rivals have had much worse windows and nearly all have found it real difficult to spend and get their targets. 

On the outgoing side, praise the Lord we've finally got rid of that crettin Sakho. Pity it wasn't the £30 million we wanted but it's still an £8 million profit for complete dead wood nowhere near the squad for the last season and more so can't argue at that. Good bye and good riddance. Getting back what we paid for Lucas after 10 years stellar service was another very good piece of business. Pity we couldn't move Ladzar, Flanno and Bogdan but we're almost clear of the sh*te now just two summer windows in for Klopp which is a brilliant achievement. 

Think overall I'll give them a B-. Relatively dead happy with the window but the van Dijk miss has just brought me right down.

Hail. 

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamanthaQuek/status/903472650327998466

Hearing this AM that the ban would have potentially been considerable after the agreement they had with Southampton to leave the tapping up mess on the proviso we wouldn't bid uninvited. Which ran through the final day. Sounds like Liverpool's hands were well and truly tied. 

Hopefully, he can now ride out the next 4 months and we can go back in without any fear and bag him January.

Hail. 

Liverpool to pay visa costs for fans travelling to Champions League clash in Russia - Liverpool Echo

Supporter engagement with the football club pays off. Listen to Tony B to be fair to the club they've had to do their due diligence with the Russian Embassy as regards any mobile Visa unit at the ground which they didn't get clarification on until last night. Well done L'pool for doing the right thing. 

So that more than covers the cost of the three nights hotel in central Moscow which is a big help. 

Now I get to knock off a half day next week and spend the afternoon in Manchester. Lucky me. :(

Hail. 

• Like 2

On 31/08/2017 at 7:19 AM, DC9 said:

Gents,

Welcome to deadline day "DC9 is never going to make it back to the US" edition....

I'd like to start things off with a little diddy from an Arsenal supporter that he'd like to dedicate to Alexis Sanchez... I think we can all agree this is the most important song since Pink Floyd came out with Dark Side of the Moon.

Hail. 

• Haha 1

i think Barca is saving face here.  Liverpool never wavered on their "not for sale" stance.  maybe they said, "we wouldn't even sell him for 200m."

it'll be interesting to see how coutino re-integrates into the team, if he makes a push to be sold in january, if he really wants to be left off the CL squad, etc.  it's a damned shame to potentially see such a good player/club/fan relationship go so sideways.  i just don't understand his logic of signing a new 5 year deal without a freaking buyout clause if he was going to go so dark when Liverpool stood their ground.  he only has himself and his representation to blame here.  'Pool would have been happy to put in a £100m buyout back in the Spring before the crazy mad money window, and he would have been playing at camp nou next weekend. 

and honestly, same goes for VVD.  i don't blame southampton one bit for not selling.