Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

6 hours ago, DC9 said:

This is why a top number 9, like a 20 goal scoring number 9 is a must this window, whether anyone thinks it is or not.  Have to have a guy like that.

Couldn't agree more.  I want a cold hearted killer up top.  Sturridge could be that guy if he could stay healthy and were willing to run like Klopp wants him too.  

The Origi non-pass was frustrating.  The reds were most dangerous when Suarez and Sturridge were taking turns being unselfishly selfish.  Need more of that.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dchogs said:

Couldn't agree more.  I want a cold hearted killer up top.  Sturridge could be that guy if he could stay healthy and were willing to run like Klopp wants him too.  

The Origi non-pass was frustrating.  The reds were most dangerous when Suarez and Sturridge were taking turns being unselfishly selfish.  Need more of that.  

Sturridge is clearly one of the world's best finishers when healthy, and he showed that again today. But, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Lallana is the gas that fuels this engine. The entire team plays at a top pace when he is in there.

My wish list this summer includes that channel running #9 who can get in behind back lines and finish, a CB to push Lovren to 2nd duty, a solid LB, a pacey winger on the left, and a mid with the technique and quick decision making to fit in with Phil, Adam, Mane, Bobby, Gini, et al.

A guy can wish, yeah?

• Like 2

There's a lot to be said about World class footballers. Particularly World class footballers in complete sync with one another. L'pool have two. One who is a continued highly coveted want from envious eyes in Catalonia. The other who I'd argue isn't just the best striker in England. He's as good a player as anyone in this league ..... When he's healthy. Which is the biggest and most frustrating Catch-22 any football club anywhere has to deal with.

First Phil, who was back to completely taking the piss giving us a great glimpse into next season as he sat a good 10/15 yards behind Lallana, alongside Gini, as the middle two of the diamond yesterday. (LOVE when we go to that BTW. Yeah, it narrows the pitch and leaves your FB's exposed. But the payoff is with so many top quality players the middle, not many opponents can live with or cover them all. But you need the top calibre player ahead of them as a focal point. Which we finally had yesterday but we'll get to him next.) Coutinho deeper opens up SO much more options. When he has so much more of the field ahead of him, with the time to spot everything, he's an even more devastating prospect. Either playmaking and dissecting the opposition defence from deep. Or striding forward to blamm one in himself. Two defensive midfielders from West 'Am yesterday played right into that. They couldn't get near him and he completely ran the show. Which he struggles to do when he's stuck out the left. His best game of the year and then some yesterday. What made it SO boss from him deep was his two goals. Far from being less of a threat deeper, he's arguably MORE of one with the whole pitch in front of him. Subtle changes to formation and positions. All part of Klopp's adapting and learning process for these games against these sides we can't' beat as the narrative continues to (falsely) go for next year. As regards the little magicians future in this parish ..... Sorry Barca. Not for a GOOD few years yet lads. However much € you throw our or his way. 

And then there's Daniel. Oh Danny boy. How You elicit the strongest of love and the deepest of bad frustration. 

Seriously, you see him back to his best like yesterday and it just makes your heart sink as much it palpitates it. NO doubt in my mind if we'd had Daniel Sturridge healthy over the full course of the season like Chelsea have had Costa, he'd be top scorer the league and we'd be either Champions or neck and neck now going into the last games. He's THAT big a difference maker. Luis Suarez is a phenomenal player and revered legend here. Many match going Reds will tell you Sturridge is every bit as technically gifted a footballer with arguably a better touch than Suarez. THAT'S how good he is. Sanchez to Arsenal. Ibrahimovic this year at Utd. Hazard and Costa to the newly crowned Champions. The BBC in Madrid. Messi, Suarez, Neymar at Barca. A fully fit Daniel Sturridge is as important and vital a difference maker to his side as any of those. The difference in having an actual top echelon forward who knows what his doing, receiving the ball, manipulating the whole play around him, shifting into space, and having the 100% self-belief to know he's better than any of the opposition players and will score and dominate a game was marked from Origi who's still a shadow of that man. And it showed in the difference in Phil's game. He was looking for Sturridge every ball and it was like the telepathic understanding of '13/'14 was back. The link up for the goal was a thing of beauty. The way Sturridge is off, then bends his run back to stay on, still holding the space, then having the pace to burst clear and the composure and ability to toy with Adrian, after being put through by a sumptuous ball from Coutinho who had the time with everything ahead of him to weigh the off-side up and know just when to release it when Sturridge had come back on then started his break again was a thing of aesthetic beauty. What's also been super pleasing of late is the outright love Sturridge been receiving from the crowd which frustratingly hasn't always been there to our detriment. Our end went nuts when he came on against Watford. And again yesterday everyone was bouncing when it was announced he was starting. But Daniels genius comes with a MASSIVE price of course ..... His health. The conundrum now is do we think he's finally gonna' hold up over a season with all the massive positives you get from that? Or is it a risk not worth taking if he does break down again? Another reminder to a manager who's never done anything other than gush about him in the main and who patently loves him next week against Middlesbrough to just how good a footballer he is and that becomes one of the biggest decisions of our summer. 

Yesterday was boss. Yeah, West Ham kindly decided to take the day off. But the intensity the Reds are best with was back. The movement and flair was back. Flooding the box with that many players that you can't cover them all was back. Goals were back in all out attacking domination. The woodwork struck three times (Gini's goal would have topped Cans at Watford for Goal of the season had the bar not intervened) on top of 20 some shots with double figures on target and some wonderful saves from Adrian was back. With, particularly second half when instead of sitting on the 1, L'pool deciding 'We're THAT much better than this ****e and we're gonna' show it!' was back. The L'pool of the first quarter of the season were back. L'pool got their swagger back! 

I was more worried about Middlesbrough than West Ham before yesterday. Now I'm only concerned with hoping City mess up third. The top 4 is done. A terrific haul of 76 points and still nowhere near the finished article. The progression of this side into something very special in two short years under Kloppo is a Hell of a fun ride watching among the frustrating times as it develops. 

As for the Olympic Stadium ..... WTF is that? Seriously, WTF is THAT?!!!!! Stood the upper tier you were left expecting an athletics meet. That far away from not only the pitch, but the lower section of your own fans. It was like they were in another ground. Massive sections the middle tier just covered off empty There's NO way West Ham are EVER getting a home advantage there. There's just nottin'. Utter ****e ground to play football. Because it's an ATHLETICS stadium wanting to be a football stadium and failing BADLY. The walk to it from the station is ****ing miles from anything. Particularly after when they divert you around the houses. You'd be ****ed midweek for the last train home. Joke of a place. I think I've been closer the pitch when we've been stuck up the far top corner at Barcelona. Honest to God. And it doesn't retain an atmosphere at all. Horrible, horrible place to watch a game of footie. 

1 down, 1 more to go at a rocking Anfield next Sunday. Come on WBA and Watford. Spare us the qualifier and the holidays and cash badly needed for the groups! 

Up the Swashbuckling, Swaggering Reds! It's nice to FINALLY have you back lads!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 4

Bro... I'm seeing conflicting reports, but I'm also seeing very carefully worded stuff by James Pearce about Luan...

I've mentioned him NO LESS than three times in this thread as the next Brasilian to bring balance to the force, and he in Europe who signs him will get the spoils for the next five years... then this morning I check twitter and see that it's rumored that we possibly have come to an agreement with Gremio....

I will pass the **** out if he comes to Liverpool...  THAT is how good this kid is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Bro... I'm seeing conflicting reports, but I'm also seeing very carefully worded stuff by James Pearce about Luan...

I've mentioned him NO LESS than three times in this thread as the next Brasilian to bring balance to the force, and he in Europe who signs him will get the spoils for the next five years... then this morning I check twitter and see that it's rumored that we possibly have come to an agreement with Gremio....

I will pass the **** out if he comes to Liverpool...  THAT is how good this kid is.

I guess I need to finally get around to checking this kid out huh?

Gonna' be a fun summer ..... Provided we don't F up next Sunday like! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I guess I need to finally get around to checking this kid out huh?

Gonna' be a fun summer ..... Provided we don't F up next Sunday like! 

Hail. 

Moving Phil to the 8 and letting him pull the strings to Luan, Bobby, and Mane... why even play the season?

19 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Moving Phil to the 8 and letting him pull the strings to Luan, Bobby, and Mane... why even play the season?

First observation ..... The (frigging ugly) neck tat ..... He a crips or a blood? Asking for a friend ......

Breaking | Dortmund reach a broad-brush deal with Lucien Favre for a 1 + 1 year contract, no agreement with OGC Nice yet, according to BILD.6:06 pm · 15 May 2017

Uhmmm, since when was Tuchel leaving?

Watching the HS vids ..... 

American 'soccer' terminology is funny. 

Parents take their own deckchairs to watch their kids the touchline? (Soz. 'Sideline/ Out of Bounds line.' I'm learning.) ..... No, I'mma resist the temptation to add and be good. 

Enjoying them all the same Asb.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Watching the HS vids ..... 

American 'soccer' terminology is funny. 

Parents take their own deckchairs to watch their kids the touchline? (Soz. 'Sideline/ Out of Bounds line.' I'm learning.) ..... No, I'mma resist the temptation to add and be good. 

Enjoying them all the same Asb.

Hail. 

We don't sit right on the sideline, usually for club games we're about 4 feet off the line. I tend to video standing up even with the top of the box. As far as terminology, all I know is what I hear. LoL

5 hours ago, DC9 said:

Saw those reports as well- sounded all but done in TAW but others were more cautious.  Would be a sweet Brazilian triple headed monster. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@Gibbs Hog Heavenit does beg the question...where do parents sit at youth club games in UK?

There's no reason to be only four feet off the line. You are a danger to the players and officials that close.

And if I was a player I'd drill the noisy spectators :-)

8 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

There's no reason to be only four feet off the line. You are a danger to the players and officials that close.

And if I was a player I'd drill the noisy spectators :-)

You'd be busy, because it is at EVERY game without bleachers. Where do you want them to sit? Most times at these complexes there's about 20 feet between fields, and the fields are stacked 5-6 deep. 

So you find the solution...I'm all ears.

Here's one we play at. You want parents to sit where exactly?

34299815010_6ca4e63b17_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You'd be busy, because it is at EVERY game without bleachers. Where do you want them to sit? Most times at these complexes there's about 20 feet between fields, and the fields are stacked 5-6 deep. 

So you find the solution...I'm all ears.

If there's only 20 feet then how about you back up as far as you can? If you can't be a safe distance from the sideline, don't be there.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if children got to experience sport without bellowing parents ruining the experience. :-)

In that image it looks like there's 20+ yards between the fields. If there's no room for spectators then don't have spectators along the side of the field. The parking lot would be an excellent place for them to sit.

Edited by Corcaigh

7 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

If there's only 20 feet then how about you back up as far as you can? If you can't be a safe distance from the sideline, don't be there.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if children got to experience sport without bellowing parents ruining the experience. :-)

In that image it looks like there's 20+ yards between the fields. If there's no room for spectators then don't have spectators along the side of the field. The parking lot would be an excellent place for them to sit.

His is the ONLY parking lot. So you can holler about where the parents sit but your timecwould be better spent screaming at the moon. The league usually paints an orange line for spectarors to stay behind. It's obvious that your experience with American youth soccer is heavily lacking, because this is the norm.

34522950732_91bd48b7c2_b.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and the vast majority of bellowing parents are at wreck league games where soccer IQ is low. We occasionally hear some rowdy objections but with a $250 fine imposed on the offending team, and team benched until it's paid, the league has all but snuffed out the big uncontrollable mouths. Now, objections are very short-lived and 99% of the time topic focused, complaints happen for sure but not like the way it used to be.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The league usually paints an orange line for spectarors to stay behind.

Are you saying that your league is OK with spectators being four feet from the sideline? In chairs?

In other sports we insist on a minimum of five yards. For safety and so as not to interfere with officiating. The AR should not have to be watching out for spectators as they move up and down the line. It's a distraction. Spectators only four feet away are a hazard.

Edited by Corcaigh

9 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@Gibbs Hog Heavenit does beg the question...where do parents sit at youth club games in UK?

They stand back from the touchline. They'd get ripped to F taking a chair ..... Different cultures. 

Don't think my mum ever saw me play. For the school side or my Sat'day/ Sunday teams. She supported me by buying me my boots and shinnies, and dropping me off/ picking me up if it was ever needed. But she was never into going the games which was sound. I'd personally rather she never. Some of the crap you used to hear from parents ..... The pressure they'd put kids under. It went FAR beyond encouragement to fair bollocking them when they made a mistake. Footie to at least 14/15 should be all about the kids enjoying themselves with results secondary to that. But some parents take it like it's the be all and end all and live their failed careers vicariously through there kids to the extent there was often punches exchanged between the adults at some places we played. Madness. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Are you saying that your league is OK with spectators being four feet from the sideline? In chairs?

In other sports we insist on a minimum of five yards. For safety and so as not to interfere with officiating. The AR should not have to be watching out for spectators as they move up and down the line. It's a distraction. Spectators only four feet away are a hazard.

I'm telling you that the leagues paint orange lines where the spectators sit. It's the norm here. The AR has plenty of room to move up and down, and there's room for throw-ins.

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

They stand back from the touchline. They'd get ripped to F taking a chair ..... Different cultures. 

Don't think my mum ever saw me play. For the school side or my Sat'day/ Sunday teams. She supported me by buying me my boots and shinnies, and dropping me off/ picking me up if it was ever needed. But she was never into going the games which was sound. I'd personally rather she never. Some of the crap you used to hear from parents ..... The pressure they'd put kids under. It went FAR beyond encouragement to fair bollocking them when they made a mistake. Footie to at least 14/15 should be all about the kids enjoying themselves with results secondary to that. But some parents take it like it's the be all and end all and live their failed careers vicariously through there kids to the extent there was often punches exchanged between the adults at some places we played. Madness. 

Hail. 

Here's the main difference, we're not allowed to be behind the touchlines because parents/coaches talking distracts the keeper. Last season my son had two parents removed from the endline because they were talking the whole time. All he had to say was "Sir!......" and point. The ref made them move. 

As for not going, well there's the difference again, some of our matches are 2-3 hours (or more) away from home. 

As far as parents living through their kids, yeah it happens everywhere. But, I saw that more at the lower levels. I honestly don't see that level of bad behavior from parents at the level he's playing now. In the three years he's been on this club team I've seen only two parents tossed. One was at the VERY first match, grandma got mouthy with the ref and he booted her. The second was at a tournament in Nashville, it wasn't even our game but the ref heard something he didn't like and the coach told the families that someone had to leave, the offender was already packing before he got over. Three years, literally dozens of games and tournaments...two parents. The stereotype is all but dead, the lessons have been learned. The culture has changed. Heck, in the video from Sunday you'll notoce that I switch ends at half. In the second half I'm right in with the other team's parents. They were fine. We talked, discussed the kids and the game. They were highly flattering of my son, the assistant coach's wife even came up to us after the game and was very gracious with her praise for his ability and play. The bad behavior that used to make the news is now the exception rather than the rule, because it just isn't tolerated anymore, and everyone knows it. The fans don't tolerare it, the coaches don't and the refs don't. 

On 5/13/2017 at 4:36 AM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Destroyed by ownership. The clown at Forest has done the same. Speaking as a Forest fan we may get lucky with a takeover soon. 

Yarp.  Best of luck on that.  It's one thing for your club to just suck but owners that really don't care slowly sucking the soul out of a club is just terrible and leads to hopelessness. 

• Like 1