Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The little things in a recipe that make a big difference

Spaceman Spiff

I'll add to that, when we make burgers, we put chopped fresh onions in the mix, along with some Lea and Perrins. I am a firm believer in not over-seasoning something, but my wife's burgers are out of this world.

I know people who love their burgers like that, but I only like salt and pepper or maybe a little sprinkle of beef rub in the mix. If I want onions they go on top!

I think Kosher salt makes a big difference. We've thrown away the table salt at our house, use kosher for everything. Big, big difference. Especially sprinkled on a fresh tomato slice from the garden. Which reminds me, I'll be right back...

Kosher Salt is the way to go for sure! Especially grilling meats, because you cant get that good salty crust from table salt unless you salt it to death.

Hey everyone, Zoony is out in the garden! Anyone up for circumventing the profanity filters for a bit? Go.

Hey everyone, Zoony is out in the garden! Anyone up for circumventing the profanity filters for a bit? Go.

:kungfu:

Also, next time you make spaghetti, use high quality noodles. The kind you find at a World Market or Earth Fare, etc. BIG difference!

If you like pepper, use this in your recipes and on your table instead:

peppercorn%20medley%20grinder.ashx?w=225

It's McCormick's Peppercorn Medley grinder. It's got black, white, green, and pink peppercorns, whole allspice, and whole coriander. It really is a nice step up from regular fresh ground pepper.

Knowing how to properly cook a steak makes a big difference.

I always take steaks out of the fridge 30min prior to cooking, flip one time on the grill (or sear both sides in a cast iron skillet and stick in the oven), let them rest for 10 min after cooking, and cut across the grain. I hate seeing people flip a steak half a dozen times on the grill or cut into it to check if it's done.

Here's a tip to check the temp of a steak by touch:

Gently touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of your index finger, now touch the fleshy part of your palm below your thumb...thats rare.

thumb to middle finger is medium rare, thumb to ring finger is medium, and thumb to pinky is done.

If you like pepper, use this in your recipes and on your table instead:

It's McCormick's Peppercorn Medley grinder. It's got black, white, green, and pink peppercorns, whole allspice, and whole coriander. It really is a nice step up from regular fresh ground pepper.

Good one. This does make a big difference.

I hate seeing people flip a steak half a dozen times on the grill or cut into it to check if it's done.

Don't forget the ones who take the meat on and off and flip it with a fork. Bye bye juices!

Do not press your burgers with a spatula while they are on the grill.

When I grill chicken thighs, I grill them with the skin on. Just before they are done, I pull the skin off and then apply the sauce. The skin holds in the moisture, keeping the meat from drying out. The dogs get to have a treat. And I save money on skinless thighs.

Oh, and get one of these if you grill a lot: http://www.pigtailff.com/ It's the best grilling accessory that I have ever owned.

When it comes to pancakes and waffles, it's all about preparation. Can't tell you the amount of people I see who overstir the hell out of the batter.

You need to use a whisk, very important. Makes much fluffier pancakes. And you're right, you don't want to over-whisk. About 30 seconds or so, tops.

However, one way to do it is to whip the eggs for several minutes in a seperate bowl, then fold them into the batter. That will make extremely fluffy pancakes.

Do not press your burgers with a spatula while they are on the grill.

When I grill chicken thighs, I grill them with the skin on. Just before they are done, I pull the skin off and then apply the sauce. The skin holds in the moisture, keeping the meat from drying out. The dogs get to have a treat. And I save money on skinless thighs.

Oh, and get one of these if you grill a lot: http://www.pigtailff.com/ It's the best grilling accessory that I have ever owned.

-Agree on the burgers.

-Waste of good chicken skin. Lucky dogs.

-I'm wary of anything that pierces the meat you're grilling.

-Waste of good chicken skin. Lucky dogs.

-I'm wary of anything that pierces the meat you're grilling.

I usually leave the skin on my thigh:ols: The skinless one is for SWMBO.

I was too but I'm serious, it's so sharp, it slides right in without leaving a gaping hole behind, the hole seals itself (think small hypodermic needle). And the control that you get with it is amazing. They even make a left handed version for us "disabled" folks.

When it comes to pancakes and waffles, it's all about preparation. Can't tell you the amount of people I see who overstir the hell out of the batter.
You need to use a whisk, very important. Makes much fluffier pancakes. And you're right, you don't want to over-whisk. About 30 seconds or so, tops.

However, one way to do it is to whip the eggs for several minutes in a seperate bowl, then fold them into the batter. That will make extremely fluffy pancakes.

100% agree with all of this.

We made breakfast for our kids at school and one of the other teachers wanted to be in charge of the waffles because I was doing it wrong.

My mistakes:

1) I actually measured the ingredients, which only noobs do.

2) I used a whisk, which only a fool would do because the flour clumps up inside of it.

3) I didn't beat it enough. It was still lumpy, and who wants lumpy waffles?

So then naturally the waffles came out flat and lifeless (an Eggo would've been just as good if not better) and no one seemed to understand what was wrong.

Heinz 57.

outtahere.gif

Beer in spiced shrimp. But not always your favorite. Go for a lighter,but still tasty one. And remember. It's always one beer more than you need for the recipe. The one or 2 for your shrimp,and the extra for the cook. :D

Agree 100%. I always use a whisk. And you always have to mix the dry and wet ingredents separately then put them together.

Archived