Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

time.com: Ice Cream: Where We're Still Pretty Much Stuck in 1983

Thiebear

Ice Cream: Where We're Still Pretty Much Stuck in 1983

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2008287,00.html

The great ice cream apocalypse never happened. I really thought it would. With the rise of lower-fat alternatives such as gelato and fro-yo (frozen yogurt) and the ever increasing popularity of high-end brands like Ben & Jerry's, I figured that traditional, nonorganic, non–Belgian chocolate, standard-issue ice cream would have become by now a vast if profitable backwater, like margarine — or talking-animal movies. But no! As recently reported here, old-school ice cream is bigger than ever. How is this possible? Are Americans really still happy eating plain-vanilla ice cream? (See pictures of ice cream that will make you scream.)

It seems hard to believe on the surface of it. Our tastes in pizza have changed, our tastes in chicken and hamburgers, soda and milk — nearly everything we consume at least looks or sounds a little different from what it did five or 10 years ago. But Baskin-Robbins, to take one example, looks and tastes pretty much the same as it did 20 or 30 years ago. When the chain pulled five unpopular flavors last month, fans reeled and started a Facebook campaign to keep French Vanilla. Even the upscale ice creams, like Ben & Jerry's and Häagen-Dazs, haven't seen a major rival emerge in a generation. The last one was probably Frusen Glädjé, a brand so dead that apparently even its owners don't seem to know what happened to it.

Fark.com: fail.gif Food writer fails to understand that ice cream is delicious

They summed it up rather nicely: What MORON doesn't understand why people like 'regular' ole icecream...

I like the occasional chunky monkey, etc.. but hitting the vanilla... or the chocolate..

I have girls.

We get the board game, we put on the movie we get the ice cream scoop and make "game night" happen...

popcorn is good, but icecream is better.

I eat ice cream all the time at the docks of downtown Annapolis.

My fiance and I take our dog who also gets a cup of vanilla ice cream.

Her sister and partner bring their 3 dogs who also get their own cups.

All of us live in downtown Annapolis so this is just our thing.

Black Raspberry is my favorite.

One thing I really miss about the Boston area is the great ice cream shops you can find in every town, and seemingly on every corner in Boston/Cambridge. Folks will go to the Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont during a blizzard, get ice cream, and sit out front to eat it. I've seen it myself. It's a way of life up there.

Philly has a couple of good ice cream places, but Philly folks are more hung up on soft pretzels. And I love those too, despite the oddly squished shape of Philly half-pretzels - but they just aren't the same as top notch New England ice cream. It's pilgrimage-worthy.

And I'd say our tastes in ice cream have changed since the early 80s. There's far more variety and excitement in the creative flavors available today. It's a bit akin to the micro-brew legacy that has worked its way into the beer world. Sure, the worthless watery piss beers are still the best sellers and still dominate football ads. But today there's this gigantic universe of variety in the medium and small breweries.

Back when the high butterfat ice creams were relatively new I saw a taste test conducted with kids on a local newscast. They pitted a couple of the premium brands against Safeway ice cream. Of course the kids ended up picking the Safeway pulp over the good stuff.

I prefer the good stuff but I could just as easily eat the Safeway pulp. After all, ice cream is like sex. Good sex is great and bad sex is still pretty good. :D

As I mentioned earlier in the California thread I read an article in the NY Times about that San Francisco shop that sells unconventional ice cream flavors...Proscuttio flavored ice cream :|

That guy running that shop is one of the few innovating the world of Ice Cream

And I can't really eat ice cream due to lactose intolerance or else I would be more approving of ice cream

Why old fashioned ice cream will never die: Root Beer Floats. There is no comparing how great it tastes with regular old vanilla as opposed to with frozen yogurt or whatever.

Still: old fashioned ice cream flavored in Green Mint Chip FTW!

The green color is actually artificial. Breyers makes a wonderfully delicious mint chocolate chip thats all-natural. No green and it tastes amazing, highly recommended for the mint chocolate chip lovers out there

Blue Bell Ice Cream.

Best in the country.

In college I bartended at Outback Steakhouse and they carry Blue Bell Ice Cream. It was amazing, but sadly you can't buy it around the DC area. If anyone hasn't had a taste you must before you die.

I still have ice cream almost every day in the summer. But random question, how many people eat ice cream in the winter? Its one of those things I never understood why people did it

Cause it's delicious.

Chocolate vanilla swirl in a waffle cone with chocolate jimmies...perfect. If Jimmie Cone was open all year round I'd still go in the winter.

I really want ice cream now.

Archived