Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GM Announces Chevy Volt Sticker Price: $41,000

mjah

are the leaf and volt comparable though? i mean sure they're both electric cars, but i would assume there are other factors that distinguish them.

"electric car" should be no more a single category than "gasoline car" is. a tesla roadster is hardly comparable to a volt, for example.

are the leaf and volt comparable though? i mean sure they're both electric cars, but i would assume there are other factors that distinguish them.

"electric car" should be no more a single category than "gasoline car" is. a tesla roadster is hardly comparable to a volt, for example.

Nope. The leaf has no gas motor at all so once you hit your 100 mile trip you will need to recharge which means if you get stuck somewhere you are stuck.

The volt goes 40 on a single charge but has a gas engine that can recharge the electric batteries.

They are getting closer but how are people that live in townhouses or condos going to be able to charge their cars? Long ass extension cords from everyone's window?

I predict they will have so many problems in the first year with the Volt that it maybe fatal to long term success. They rushed that product.

I'd take Nissan's Leaf over GM's Volt.

Any car that uses electricity really isn't helping the environment because most power plants are coal fired or nuclear.

Any car that uses electricity really isn't helping the environment because most power plants are coal fired or nuclear.

perhaps not immediately, but electric cars are a HUGE boon for the environment in the long run.

while it is true that the majority (or plurality at least - it's around 50%) of power in america does indeed come from coal plants, the economies of scale apply. a huge powerplant (even a dirty one) is ten times more efficient economically than a thousand tiny internal combustion engines.

i've seen numbers that compare the ecological footprint of a coal plant to an equivalent (in power) number of internal combustion engines that showed the coal plant was slightly worse for the environment. HOWEVER, the electric car is still a huge (and necessary) step forward for the environment. every wind, solar, hydro or watever non-coal plant you build makes every single electric car on the road more ecologically friendly.

the same cannot be said for gasoline engines. after 120+ years of development, we are reaching a plateau in how efficient we can really get with that concept. centralizing the power generation in large power plants (as opposed to millions of small engines) is the superior, inherently more efficient model.

The Lithium batteries they use in those cars are just as bad, or worse, sitting in a landfill. Catch 22 I guess. 100 miles on one charge is horrible.

I was talking to an environmental manager the other day and we were throwing around the idea of scrubbers in the catalytic converters of cars, but the rate at which they would be scrubbing is pretty tough to incorporate with effectiveness.

GM just blew it, big time. Once again. Those guys couldn't find their own asses with both hands.

With a vehicle like this, you need to think long term. Keep the initial price down, get lots of people to want it, generate a positive buzz. The return comes later, when you are selling millions of units a year.

Instead, they are going for immediate profits from the niche market. Morons.

This is where the car manufacturers are effing up. Hey, we want people to get the percetion that we are getting away from our dependancy on oil when in all actuality we are not facing the issue at hand. RENEWABLE energy soucres, like hydrogen. You can make money with the filling stations, ZERO emissions, and the only by-product is water. I guess I am crazy for beilieving that this is the way we need to be heading.

For that price I will need leather seats, a good nav system with a big display, premium sound system, sunroof and a smooth as silk suspension system as part of the base package before I would even think of buying one. My guess is it comes with none of these features and probably some of them are nto even offered. I am in Canada so I would expect the Volt to be around 15% more, so lets call it $47,000 for me as a MSRP, not to mention the new 13% sales tax and this thing is quickly pricing itself out of my price range for a new car. I also don't think Canada gives as large a rebate for electric vehicles as the US.

Anyone have any info on the Tesla sedan? That think looks really good and would be the one electric vehicle I would consider buying. I know their site has photos, but no update on price as of yet.

For comparison, Nissan Leaf's sticker will read $33K.

Important note: the Federal government will give you $7,500 for buying either car. So ignoring any state incentives, Volt effectively starts at $33,500 and Leaf starts at just under $25,500.

GM to Sell Chevy Volt for $41,000; Lease Terms Close to Leaf’s

GM and Nissan would have to pay ME to drive either of these cars. They're both a POS.

I really hope the Volt (or a similar car with similar technology) catches on.

IMO, it's an all-electric car when you're commuting. And it's a hybrid when you want to go to Disney. It at least has the potential t be the best of both worlds.

I would not mind a bit if the government would subsidize this product. Heavily. For say, 10 years. To get things started.

----------

Reason why the Volt is different from the other "electric cars".

The Volt has a 30 mile range. But when that range is up, then it starts up the gasoline engine. If you run out of juice, you don't even notice it. (Oh, I assume that you'll hear the motor start. And, later, you'll have to put gas in it.)

The other cars, like the Leaf, also have a range. (The Leaf's claimed range is 100 miles.) But when you hit that range, the car dies. You have to plug it in and wait. Hours. I think the typical electric car's recharge time is like eight hours.

(Now, of course, if the place where you work (or the garage where you park) has recharge stations, then you can drive to work, plug in, and be recharged when you get off work. A recharge station at work, effectively doubles the car's range. Maybe they should be encouraged.)

But recharging an electric car isn't like filling up the gas tank. It's not "plug in the hose, squeeze the handle for three minutes, and you're good to go."

GM just blew it, big time. Once again. Those guys couldn't find their own asses with both hands.

With a vehicle like this, you need to think long term. Keep the initial price down, get lots of people to want it, generate a positive buzz. The return comes later, when you are selling millions of units a year.

Instead, they are going for immediate profits from the niche market. Morons.

Pay attention to the leasing prices, that's what matters. For first generation tech like this, who knows how the car holds up over future innovations? How much will prices drop on second and third generation cars? Will the range triple? Will the charge time decrease?

If I want in on a first generation electric vehicle, it only makes sense to lease and pass on the associated risks to GM. The price of the car doesn't matter to me at all.

As twa suggested, how many miles will it get when you are using the wipers, radio, heat/ac, lights, etc?

Not very many, I bet.

How much electricity is used, and at what cost, to recharge the thing?

What's the life of the battery? Most rechargeable batteries have a short shelf life.

What will a replacement battery cost?

What about other maintenance costs, unique to such vehicles?

Still more questions, than answers.

I'll wait.

Archived