Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Program Alert: America's Game, 1991 Redskins

SWFLSkins

Reminded me how bad Rypien was but he caught lightning in a bottle that one season and was inhuman.

Totally forgot that Mann had all of those sacks playing LDE.

Gibbs comments about Mann were cool.

"You know in heaven you get some guys who are first in line for brains and some guys physical ability and some other strengths, well Charles managed to be first in line for all those. Man could that guy where a suit." (Gibbs chuckles)

Watching this makes me realize that how awesome Charles Mann was.

I met him a couple years ago and got his autograph, such an awesome guy and really laid back. A true representative of a true Redskin. :)

It's so surreal watching this with the current state of the Redskins. They won championships being a blue-collar team that didnt have the drama queens and the self proclaimed superstars. Just go out there, trust the coaching, and play harder than the guy across from you and get the W.

I hope Bruce and Mike can bring that attitude back to Redskins Park.

It's so surreal watching this with the current state of the Redskins. They won championships being a blue-collar team that didnt have the drama queens and the self proclaimed superstars. Just go out there, trust the coaching, and play harder than the guy across from you and get the W.

I hope Bruce and Mike can bring that attitude back to Redskins Park.

I think they already have. It looks like the players are really buying what Bruce/Shanny are selling,and are prepared to work harder than they ever have in order to become a winner.

C Mann was a beast back then, but what I like about the guy is he was class all the way around; very well spoken, kind, smart, strong as an ox, and showed his class on and off the field, except when he tore through Conover in the 91 NFCC game,lol, at one point he almost jumped over him yelling at the lions qb, and probably scared the crap outta him as well...

Yeah, Charles Mann was a beast. Too bad he never got more recognition through out the league. He had the skills, the personality, and the character to get more exposure.

It's funny...John Madden (before he went off the deep end) used to talk about Mann almost like he was too nice and too well-kept. He'd want his shirt to come untucked and for him to look more like an angry animal than an intelligent/cerebral player.

Obviously, it was all in good fun...I think Madden thought very highly of Mann...but I used to crack up because it was true. You'd see the chaos that Mann would cause on the field and then see him on the sidelines with his uniform all perfect, v-shaped torso, and clean-cut hair and it just didn't fit.

The guy was a monster. I had completely forgotten that he won a 3rd Super Bowl with San Francisco...good for him!

C Mann was a beast back then, but what I like about the guy is he was class all the way around; very well spoken, kind, smart, strong as an ox, and showed his class on and off the field, except when he tore through Conover in the 91 NFCC game,lol, at one point he almost jumped over him yelling at the lions qb, and probably scared the crap outta him as well...

Couldn't agree with you more. It just shows, you can be a class act and bring it hard every Sunday. True we have guys like that like London but I wish Haynesworth was. Charles worked for eveything he earned and he was always smiling even when battling in the trenches. Ihave a lot of favorite Skins but Charles Mann is at the top of my list as both a player and a person

I dont think we ever had any superstar QB's types for any of our SB's. Didnt need one either. We had a lot of great players and hof's DG, AM and Riggo all hofers and deserved it imo. To play at the level they did for the length of time they did is rare. They all had a ton of highlights and great plays, DG's punt return against the bears, Riggo of course the 50 gut run vs the fins in the SB, the run when he played on the jets vs the colts, and one not even a run was a red zone block he hit some guy on the lions, one of the hardest hits I have ever seen, knocked dude out of his shoes. If I had one vote for one redskin to be inducted into the HOF, I would give it to Brian Mitchell, helluva player, incredible career. Hard to choose though if I had 2 I would vote a hog but then it would be hard to just choose one, hell the entire oline hahaha. Were the hogs the first o line to ever get a nickname? Hmmm

When they were doing those great Superbowl teams and had the 91 Skins team ranked like 13th all-time, I was like they're smoking something.

14th, even more of a travesty. :doh: That was just a dominant team, all around.

Finally got around to watching this on my DVR. Forgot how inconsistent that D could be, but how dominating they were when they were on. Three shutouts in the first five games (all at home, but still)!!! I remember Buffalo's Offense getting all the talk that season. Even the result of the Super Bowl was nowhere near as close as the score.

If we had heard stories about Snyder like we see in this show about Jack K. Cooke, this board would be even more nuts than it is now. Making public statements and getting on the coach for messing up the team.

Seems like Gibbs' and Cooke's personalities contrasted each other perfectly. Cooke was loud and audacious. Gibbs was calm, patient, and collected.

Couldn't agree with you more. It just shows, you can be a class act and bring it hard every Sunday. True we have guys like that like London but I wish Haynesworth was. Charles worked for eveything he earned and he was always smiling even when battling in the trenches. Ihave a lot of favorite Skins but Charles Mann is at the top of my list as both a player and a person

Thats probably the 1 thing that I miss most of the glory years; players doing their job on the field instead of their mouths. Today, a player makes 1 lousy play, and act as if they just made the biggest play in NFL history, jumping all around the field doing their goofy stunts, especially the ones who do it when they are still down by 20 points.

Players could learn alot from watching Mann or Monk; both well spoken, very polite yet determined people, but when they put on the helmet, they always carried the biggest hammer...:logo:

Archived