Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Food Stamps: A Rant.

zoony

Having worked in a grocery store, in a poor county, I've seen everything with food stamps. Nothing pisses me off more then when they buy a carton of cigarettes with cash and then swipe their EBT card for a 1.00 soda. My step dad is a manager at a grocery store and has to attend a yearly meeting about complying with food stamps and has asked why they are allowed buying steaks, soda, cakes, candy, etc. Their response was, " we want them to feel like an ordinary person and not restrict their rights to foods." WTF

Austin is one of the most physically fit cities in the entire country. It is usually always ranked in the top 10 in the country for healthy lifestyles.

Outside of Austin . . . . that is another story.

Even the hispanic population? Because where I was staying (wickersham) it wasn't the least bit healthy at all, and it was almost entirely hispanic. Now, when I was on Campus or on 6th street (or anywhere downtown) it was a completely different story.

Having worked in a grocery store, in a poor county, I've seen everything with food stamps. Nothing pisses me off more then when they buy a carton of cigarettes with cash and then swipe their EBT card for a 1.00 soda. My step dad is a manager at a grocery store and has to attend a yearly meeting about complying with food stamps and has asked why they are allowed buying steaks, soda, cakes, candy, etc. Their response was, " we want them to feel like an ordinary person and not restrict their rights to foods." WTF

I live in PA too. To me, there's a disconnect and a little lack of humility in that response. Well, most ordinary people don't use an EBT card. I'm all for human dignity, but I think people on food stamps shouldn't think of the gov't assistance as a right but as a good gesture from society.

Imagine going to the aforementioned food bank and asking "What? No organic asparagus?"Have some humility. Treat yourself once in awhile or buy one "treat" every week. Don't abuse the system. What is wrong with this segment of our population.

Did you just claim that having experience, a related 4 year degree, and a related masters..... Is average?! Do you know what average means? Yes there are people that could have 3 times the related education and 4 times the related experience. In the US there are most likely less than 5000 people that would fit that description

And any one of those 5000 (which is ridiculous by the way, you are severely underestimating how common advanced degrees are these days) would read this thread and say "what an arrogant prick" because a couple degrees and a few years in a given field really is not impressive.

Thats my point.

Like going onto a car forum and bragging about driving something nice - congratulations to you, but there are plenty of people out there with something much, much nicer, so you should probably take it down a notch.

Did you just claim that having experience, a related 4 year degree, and a related masters..... Is average?! Do you know what average means? Yes there are people that could have 3 times the related education and 4 times the related experience. In the US there are most likely less than 5000 people that would fit that description

I think you are underestimating how common master degrees are becoming.

The B.S/B.A these days are the equiv of a high school diploma 40/50+ years ago.

Master's Degrees are the new fad

I'm not taking away anything from those that have obtained their Master's Degrees, but they are becoming obtained by a TON of people.

I think roughly 9 percent of the population holds masters degrees. Roughly 30 percent hold bachelors, and less than 5 percent hold doctorates.

I'm surprised it is that high quite frankly

That is pretty high, I never knew the numbers. Maybe i'm ignorant to the rest of the free world, but at least in Biology if you don't have at least a Master's degree, you don't have much of anything.

Of course, no one realizes that until they are 3.75 years into it :P

Well i've gotten off topic, and I don't have any more food stamp stories :ols:

I think you are underestimating how common master degrees are becoming.

The B.S/B.A these days are the equiv of a high school diploma 40/50+ years ago.

Master's Degrees are the new fad

I'm not taking away anything from those that have obtained their Master's Degrees, but they are becoming obtained by a TON of people.

Quick reminder of what was said:

I cant believe you just threw your average education and limited experience out there when you're rocking a single advanced degree and what, maybe 8 years max experience? Do you realize you could be talking to someone who has literally 3x+ the education and 4x+ the experience you do?

How many people you know in a related field to food stamps have 3 masters degrees and 32 years of experience?

I thought about this thread today.

I went to see my grandma, and parked in the city lot next to her building. I went and got her handicapped placard and put it in my car. (City parking is free with a placard. $1 an hour without.)

After talking to her in her apartment for about an hour, I walked back to my car, pulled it around in front of the building and took her shopping.

I wonder if anyone watched me walking back and forth and thought "what an ***hole" not knowing I was picking her up.

I don't think bachelors degrees and masters degrees are uncommon. I think that they exist in greater numbers in certain fields than in others. He didn't strike me as an MBA and being that we're talking about food stamps a related field wouldn't be a common occupation and potentially government work. I could be wrong. If I'm right those with related degrees and experience wouldn't be all that common.

Ahh ok, I was not aware that you were referring to his specific field, didn't read that deep into it. That type of experience would probably be fairly uncommon, I will have to agree with you on that one. It takes a specific type of individual to do what NC21 does, for sure.

I remember when food stamps were coupons or stamps if thats what you called them this lady she bought like 8 packs of gum and did each one as a 1 dollar transaction so she could get cash for each one then went to a different register and bought cigerettes with the cash before they did away the coupons they eliminated the cash back part of it though to prevent this from happening

Same thing i say about health care: Now that i'm a contractor since february i've been paying for it myself.

I don't have an iphone

I don't have a PS3 (I got the wii)

I drive a Saturn from 2002, with a back up 1992 volvo i bought from the highschool

And somehow i'm able to afford healthcare, Shocking I know.

--------------------

I've always said if your on the dole you should have to show restraint while looking for a job.

Medicare should be for the truely poor and not the 300% above the poverty level.

Chips (for kids) should not go up to 80k

Social Security should be at 75-77yrs old and you shouldnt receive it if you make 4k+ a month without it.

------------------

Common sense saves the country and quite a few people from themselves

Quick reminder of what was said:

How many people you know in a related field to food stamps have 3 masters degrees and 32 years of experience?

The number is irrelevant dude, you can continue to discuss semantics if you want but I'm done at this level of minutia. My point is the guys response with "Im right because I have a masters and a few years of experience" is a joke. You can agree, or you can disagree, diving into the details of exactly how many people may or may not have more experience than this guy is irrelevant. The statement is lame either way - especially when he has no idea who his audience is.

This thread makes me angry.

Its because of beauracratic bull**** that food stamps are good for anything more than produce, canned goods, bread, milk, and juice.

This statement makes no sense.

Putting restrictions on the type of food that food stamps can be used for will increase bureaucracy, not decrease it. Can you imagine the logistical and political problems around trying to decide exactly which brands of food should be allowed?

And on another note, why is it so important to restrict those on food stamps to such a limited selection of food? You do realize that this restrictions will demean and hurt many of the people on the program that are truly needy.

I'll just add a little story to this thread on food stamps:

I went to The Wharf in DC on Friday afternoon to pickup some steamed crabs for dinner, and while I was looking around, and there was about an estimate of 90% black (not that it matters) to all other races combined (asian, indian, hispanic, white, etc). I was looking at the different fish, crabs, etc on the menus with prices, and sticking out like a sore thumb was a sign that said:

WE ACCEPT FOODSTAMPS!!

Now I was VERY excited to see our tax payer dollars going to a seafood market that had $18 lb Shrimp, Lobsters, bushels of Crabs, etc......

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME????? SERIOUSLY???? WTF

Do you guys think that The Wharf should be accepting foodstamps? I want to hear views on this.

Yes. In the spirit of "you're a bigot" I will hate away. Racist.

If pointing out Welfare absuses...(that are very real by the way) makes me a bigot then so be it. If you take the time to actually read my post it wasnt targeted at people who actually 'NEED" the assistance its targeting the people "Abusing" the system.

People who are on welfare that truly need the help arent going around buying nice furniture, expensive cars, or 60" Flat screen plasma TV's now are they?

Besides that, there are people of ALL colors doing exactly that... abusing the system. So who exactly am I being Racist towards? Are you saying that white people dont buy Tommy Hilfiger or FUBU? Are you actually being the one racist here in your assumption of what I am saying?

Again you can hate my statement but you know its true. My question to you is why do you accept that kind of behavior and not call it like you see it?

If pointing out Welfare absuses...(that are very real by the way) makes me a bigot then so be it. If you take the time to actually read my post it wasnt targeted at people who actually 'NEED" the assistance its targeting the people "Abusing" the system.

People who are on welfare that truly need the help arent going around buying nice furniture, expensive cars, or 60" Flat screen plasma TV's now are they?

Besides that, there are people of ALL colors doing exactly that... abusing the system. So who exactly am I being Racist towards? Are you saying that white people dont buy Tommy Hilfiger or FUBU? Are you actually being the one racist here in your assumption of what I am saying?

Again you can hate my statement but you know its true. My question to you is why do you accept that kind of behavior and not call it like you see it?

So welfare abuse is real? I did not know that. My fault.

Your'e a racist and I called you a racist. That is most certainly calling it like I see it.

The less I quote your hate filled tirade, the better. I don't need permission to hate on your dreary post. I will do that anyway! :)

I feel for you if you can't afford an occasional T-bone.... they are yummy.

as to the rest of it.... meh.

MCSluggo haha I can afford to buy an occasional T-Bone even though I am married with 5 kids and have 2 in college. but the key is "I" am paying for it, not everybody else in the country. Besides what people dont know is... well my wife (and kids) are MIXED haha. yes my wife is bi-racial African American and Indian... but Im a Racist? No Im just pissed off and exactly the same things that alot of others on thread are pointing out... ie paying for foood with food stamps and buying $70 worth of cigarettes with cash.. Come on non of that is right.

My daughter who is going to be a freshman at the University of South Carolina in the fall (I was stationed in SC while in the Marine Corps) has qualified for some grants.. a fairly nice amount too... but its because she worked her butt off in school. All Honors classes all 4 years. a 4.93 GPA and she graduated High School with 18 college credits to her name. she worked for what she is getting and guess what... she will be paying back student loans for 10 to 15 years upon graduating college too.

Again I dont begrudge someone who needs a hand up... but I dont have any sympathy for the ones that have made welfare a way of life.

Again I just simply call it like I see it. I dont hold punches nor do I parse words. This whole PC mindset in this country is whats gotten us to this piont in the first place. At the end of the day you may not like what I have to say but like it or not... it is the truth!

Archived