Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Food Stamps: A Rant.

zoony

Not sure I understand your question, I think I was commenting on the seemingly prevailing notion, that all people on welfare drive a big expensive car and are in good enough shape to play fullback for the Skins.

I don't think that's the prevailing notion at all. The prevailing notion is that there are a great many who are abusing the system, and we should be doing a much better job of managing it. Zoony's suggestion wouldn't impact those truly in need.

The UPC databases are downloaded by retailers who accept the card. It's part of the deal.

I know, I know- cutting edge technology we're talking about here. If it's 1978.

And produce has PLU #'s. Even if it didn't, you could easily write code to get around that.

I don't think that's the prevailing notion at all. The prevailing notion is that there are a great many who are abusing the system, and we should be doing a much better job of managing it. Zoony's suggestion wouldn't impact those truly in need.

You speaking for everybody?

The UPC databases are downloaded by retailers who accept the card. It's part of the deal.

I know, I know- cutting edge technology we're talking about here. If it's 1978.

And produce has PLU #'s. Even if it didn't, you could easily write code to get around that.

I'm not sure, but how are they going to pay to 'mark' every item in america, and isn't this just one more thing for people to get-over on? Don't get me wrong Zoony, I'm not picking on you, just very bored!

Produce still has standardized codes. Bananas, for example, are 4011, and if memory serves, red grapes are 4023.

:rotflmao: Dude, its been 3 years since I had to do that, and yes, you are correct.

4024 is green grapes

4046 is avocados

4060 is broccoli

4064 is cauliflower

4076 lettuce

4062 cucumbers

4065 green peppers

4069 cabbage

4048 limes

4066 green beans

add a 9 to the front if its organic and you are feeling a little risque ;)

oh yeah, still got it, im a wiz at doing self checkout since i know all the codes

Ontopic:

Ive ranted about this before since I was a cashier at a grocery store. I have no problem with WIC, although it was a pain in the ass, the items are set...the EBT food stamp cards are a load of ****. People buy the dumbest **** on them. I had some guy buying 50 dollars worth of crab legs on them...dude, seriously? you have food stamps, but you felt the need to buy expensive crab legs?

i had another couple trying to buy a margarita tub mix, but the system wouldnt allow it....most of the time, people only bought **** to eat...like candy, soda, chips. we had specials all the time where our organic meat was super cheap or some fruit/vegetable for the week was on sale for like 3/$5...I did see some people using it properly, but the majority werent.

We seriously need to reform that ****...its a joke....let them use the card on vegetables, fruits, dairy - healthy stuff, but if they want to buy ****, they can use their own money.

I'm really sorry that watching this obese, handicapped woman piss her life away on your hay penny's worth of tax dollars inconvenienced you.

What do you want the government to do, interfere in it's citizens' private lives by telling them what they can and can not eat?

If so, then you also have to tell all obese people, not just poor ones on food stamps, what they can and can't eat, because 33% of our population is obese. Obese people across income groups cost all of us money in the form of higher insurance preiums and health care bills.

I'll never forgot when I was delivering Thanksgiving dinners to some families in St Mary's County, I guess it was like 99 or 2000. We pull up to this house and there is a Corvette in the front yard, a big screen TV in their house, and really nice furniture. Yet they were getting their Thanksgiving dinner delievered to them by a church. How can you afford a Corvette and a big screen TV, but not turkey for Thanksgiving? There are so many people that abuse the system its not even funny.

I also have a friend who was laid off from his job last summer. He's collecting unemployment which is cool, but he's also working numerous jobs under the table. So he's getting his unemployment plus working jobs at like $10/hr. So someone with no college degree and no "job" is making more money than me, who has a college degree and a real "job". How does that work?

So someone with no college degree and no "job" is making more money than me, who has a college degree and a real "job". How does that work?

School

"Cheating is a shortcut and it's a pretty efficient one in a lot of cases."

http://www.extremeskins.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7644083

Work

"An overwhelming 79 percent of workers admit they have or would consider stealing from their employers, according to a survey released last week by forensic accounting firm Michael G. Kessler & Associates."

http://money.cnn.com/1999/08/19/investing/q_employeetheft/

And in every facet of our lives. Taxes, youth sports, marriage, etc.

"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." has become a cultural motto that goes beyond the boundaries of sports.

What do you want the government to do, interfere in it's citizens' private lives by telling them what they can and can not eat?

No. I want the government to tell private citizens what is acceptable to be purchased with food stamps. It certainly should not be without restrictions. And, the current system is not without restrictions. There need to be more to make sure the money is going towards the necessities. This has nothing to do with being concerned about what people who are able to provide for themselves do.

I'm really sorry that watching this obese, handicapped woman piss her life away on your hay penny's worth of tax dollars inconvenienced you.

If so, then you also have to tell all obese people, not just poor ones on food stamps, what they can and can't eat, because 33% of our population is obese. Obese people across income groups cost all of us money in the form of higher insurance preiums and health care bills.

Easy there drama queen. You're building strawmans at too rapid a pace.

Hey, you're happy with people spending your tax dollars on hershey bars and ice cream- fine. I'm not. We're free to disagree.

Archived