Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Shanahan Keys: Takeaways & Rushing Offense

Oldskool

Monday, July 12, 2010, 8:30 PM

By Rich Tandler

Redskins Blogger

CSNwashington.com

When Mike Shanahan took over as head coach of the Denver Broncos in 1995, he was at the helm of a sinking ship. The team was a shell of the one that regularly rang up double-digit win totals and Super Bowl appearances in the late 1980’s.

They finished 7-9 in 1994, and when Shanahan examined some of their statistics, he was very concerned. He saw that they had allowed 55 sacks, 27th in what was then a 28-team NFL. They had lost 18 fumbles, 25th in the league, and the 396 points they had allowed were 26th.

For the rest of the article, see http://www.csnwashington.com/07/12/10/Shanahan-Keys-Takeaways--Rushing-Offense/landing.html?blockID=270271&feedID=272

I haven't been this confident about the Redskins since Joe roamed the sidelines back in the 80's and 90's. Having a coach that knows the exact area to focus on can yield drastic changes in a season. Gibbs didnt have super stars but he knew how to attack a defense, and make players run through walls for him.Even those 2005 & 2007 teams over achieved. Shanahan is the same way.. If Shanahan was our coach last year we go 8-8 easily. And this year, even if we fall short of the playoffs I'll still be satisfied if we show progress in these areas. And I have the utmost confidence that we will..

Interesting stat lines there. Here's another,

During that 1994 season with that terrible Denver offensive line and running game:

John Elway's stats: 62.1% cmp% | 3,490 yds | 16 TDs | 10 INTs | 7.1 Y/A | 249.3 Y/game | 85.7 rating | 46 sacks

During the 2009 season with a terrible Washington offensive line and running game:

Jason Campbell's stats: 64.5 cmp% | 3,618 yds | 20 TDs | 15 INTs | 7.1 Y/A | 226.1 Y/game | 86.4 rating | 43 sacks

Jason Campbell played slightly better individually than John Elway did in similarly awful conditions. Elway had 11 seasons under his belt for '94 and had already been to five Probowls, but sure as shooting, Jason Campbell put up equal to, or slightly better numbers than him in almost every statistical category. Statistically speaking, the 1994 Broncos were a little better on offense and a little worse on defense than we were but other than that, the rankings for each are remarkably similar.

John Elway went to the Probowl in 1994 and Jason Campbell was given away for nothing. The NFL is a strange beast.

Mike Shanahan WAS a good coach but something about the game passed him by. Once Elway left his teams went downhill. He tried valiantly to try and resurrect the team but one thing or another, he just couldn't get it done. From bad personnel decisions to bad playcalling was Mikes downfall.

The one thing I feel will save him this time is his son, Kyle. Kyle seems to me to be the breath of fresh air that will make his dad win again. Kyle if he can run the offense the way he wants to and not let his dad interfere too much will ultimately save his reputation as a very good coach. I'm sure getting McNabb was Mike's doing and not Kyle so I hope it works out.

Mike Shanahan WAS a good coach but something about the game passed him by. Once Elway left his teams went downhill.

It's not that simple and the game hasn't passed him by at all. You can't say that about a coach that went 13-3 as late as 2005.

The issue with the Broncos from the time Elway retired to the time that Shanny was canned was twofold: One, the defense became bad at the end of his tenure. And by bad I mean really bad. The second is that his teams got away from having a very balanced offense to a pass happy one once he drafted Cutler.

I did a thread on this subject earlier this year that shows that the more balanced the offense is, the better his offense runs.

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=315837

Snyder stepping back, Allen, the elder Shanny, Kyle was a phenom in Texas, a proven top 10 D (with or without Fat Al) and now Hasslet is letting them go aggro, Mac5, bookends, fresh RB legs, double TE sets - we should field a team 2010.

I pray for discipline. No more stupid fouls. That's how we'll know we've arrived back...

For Rushing Offense: We'll have a bunch of fresh legs to take over in case of fatigue or demotivation.

Takeaways: Hasslet and our D will work some love. We hit hard. We have the talent for take-aways. Someone on the forum said, our D is what we hung our hats on. Hells yes! Let em loose.

Reading about the lack of turnovers the last 3 years just made me relive the anguish of 3 years all at once. Offense didnt help out the defense at all but the defense didnt do themselves any favors either. Turnovers are such game changers they mean so much in football and to be ranked in the bottom 5 in the league 3 years in a row just drives me nuts. Instant free points or offense set up in great field position NEVER happens for the Redskins. It's always drive from our 20 to get points. *Sigh*

*edit* 17 Turnovers last year, dead last in the NFL. Makes me shudder.

During that 1994 season with that terrible Denver offensive line and running game:

John Elway's stats: 62.1% cmp% | 3,490 yds | 16 TDs | 10 INTs | 7.1 Y/A | 249.3 Y/game | 85.7 rating | 46 sacks

During the 2009 season with a terrible Washington offensive line and running game:

Jason Campbell's stats: 64.5 cmp% | 3,618 yds | 20 TDs | 15 INTs | 7.1 Y/A | 226.1 Y/game | 86.4 rating | 43 sacks

Jason Campbell played slightly better individually than John Elway did in similarly awful conditions. Elway had 11 seasons under his belt for '94 and had already been to five Probowls, but sure as shooting, Jason Campbell put up equal to, or slightly better numbers than him in almost every statistical category. Statistically speaking, the 1994 Broncos were a little better on offense and a little worse on defense than we were but other than that, the rankings for each are remarkably similar.

John Elway went to the Probowl in 1994 and Jason Campbell was given away for nothing. The NFL is a strange beast.

This proves that statistics LIE. And they lie hard.

Please, please, PLEASE do not try to favorably compare JC with Elway. That post actually made me puke on my keyboard.

Great example of HOW THE NFL HAS BECOME MORE OF A PASSING LEAGUE, where the same stats that get you a Pro Bowl in 1994, are only good enough to be ranked 15th last season.

“We wanted to improve in all areas, but the ones we concentrated on were rushing offense and pass defense,” Shanahan said in his 1999 book Think Like A Champion. “In my mind, we could not win without improving drastically in those areas.”

Forget the JC v. Elway stats, the above is what he truly is changing in DC. The addition of huge OL in the East which most thought would not happen and the switch to 3-4 are both verification of the above being the same as then. Yes it is a different league with more passing and you need to defend that. At the same time you must be able to run in the East considering competition and weather.

Two different eras of the NFL, you can't compare them. Haven't there been a few rule changes to help QB's produce since Elway was playing?

You also have to look at statistics in context, mainly when they were compiled.

The article looks at football specific areas where improvements can be made. In my mind, other areas are just as important. Specifically, changing the culture within the organization with higher expectations of players and competetion for jobs will have as much impact as scheme. In addition, a more competent coaching staff will have the team well prepared to compete each week.

John Elway's stats: | 46 sacks

Jason Campbell's stats:| 43 sacks

Elway was famous for trying to make the big play when it seemingly wasn't there, and held onto the ball too long in many cases. (Much like McNabb) That is why he is the NFL all-time leader in sacks taken.

Jason Campbell is famous for trying to wait until a WR is wide open before releasing the ball, instead of throwing to a spot where the WR would end up open, and held onto the ball too long in many cases. That is why he is a average NFL QB.

Gibbs preached takeaways and ball security while controlling the game with running the ball, in our superbowl year in 1992 we dominated in both of those categories, however the league nowadays is more of a passing league and if we cannot throw the ball accurately and control the game we are going to be in trouble.

Jason Campbell absolutely destroyed most of Sammy Baugh's seasons. Thus, he's better than Sammy Baugh.

Well, unless you think the game may have changed since then.

Mike Shanahan WAS a good coach but something about the game passed him by. Once Elway left his teams went downhill.

I dunno, man. Shanny didn't make it to another Super Bowl, but he turned Brian Griese into a Pro Bowler and got to the AFC Championship with Jake freakin' Plummer. And so far, Jay Cutler and Bizarro Jay Cutler (who played last season for Chicago) seem to show that Shanahan did a lot for his last Denver quarterback, too.

This year is a big question mark because it's a transition for both the offense and the defense. But McNabb is easily the best QB Shanny's had since Elway, and I'm pretty excited to see what they'll do together over the next several seasons.

This proves that statistics LIE. And they lie hard.

I don't think it proves anything like that. I think it demonstrates that posters around here like you have a burr up their ass about Campbell to where they could never view him with anything even approaching objectivity. Campbell actually did alright for himself last season despite everything that could possibly go wrong for him going wrong. He and Fred Davis were the only two offensive players who had positive seasons on an individual level.

I also think it demonstrates that sainted QBs like Elway had fairly ordinary days and seasons without getting crucified for them.

And lastly I'd like to throw out as a general observation that most football fans don't understand the quarterback position and often don't really know what good and bad quarterbacking actually looks like. This includes our fan base and our ES board membership which I see demonstrated in the extreme love being given Donovan McNabb and the extreme hatred Jason Campbell received. There isn't nearly as much separating them as QBs as people think.

Jason Campbell absolutely destroyed most of Sammy Baugh's seasons. Thus, he's better than Sammy Baugh.

Well, unless you think the game may have changed since then.

I think there is a difference in comparing a 2009 season with a 1994 season and comparing a 2009 season with one from the 30's. Pass interference is more strictly enforced to open up passing games now, but the WCO was still the WCO in 1994, it's not like people were running the wing T. If anything, there were more great QBs in the league in 1994 than there are today, so Elway's pedestrian season looks even more... pedestrian in the context of the game in 1994. Yet he still made the pro-bowl.

You aren't seriously comparing Campbell to a great HoFer like Elway, are you? :doh:

You seem to forget that besides 5 pro bowls, Elway had also already been to THREE Super Bowls and had numerous great comebacks on his resume'.

Elway by 1994 had long ago proven himself. He could be allowed a down year.

Campbell has shown nothing but mediocore to bad play and an inability to lead a team in pressure situations.

Cherry-picking one year out of Elway's illustrious career and saying him and Campbell were in the same boat is pure nonsense.

Two different eras of the NFL, you can't compare them. Haven't there been a few rule changes to help QB's produce since Elway was playing?

You also have to look at statistics in context, mainly when they were compiled.

That's true to some extent but I think the effect of the changing interference rules is a bit overstated by fans and the media especially. Dan Marino threw for 5,000 yards in the 80's after all. The changing intereference rules came about as a response to the general increase in team speed on defense throughout the league to have a stabilizing effect on offensive production, rather than boost it to a large degree.

The biggest changes from the 1994 era to this one IMO is in the development of sports medicine as a science and in the level of preparation players and coaches go through each week for their games. Offense is up in general today, not just passing offense, but I think it's due more to the quality of gameplanning in today's NFL and also the fact that guys probably stay healthier now over the course of a season than they used to and lineups are a little more fixed.

Regardless, Elways' season wasn't all that remarkable in 1994, especially by his own standards. He was 8th in passing yards, 12th in TDs, 11th in Y/A, 7th in cmp%, and the Broncos only went 7-9. He probably went to the Probowl because Jim Kelly and Joe Montana were starting to wind down and the NFC was a little stronger in quarterbacks.

That's not the issue I was trying to point out though. Deserving or not, Elway was considered a great QB that year and Jason Campbell is considered by many to be a bad QB after last year's performance. I think the issue is that there comes a point in every quarterbacks career where he either gets a golden ticket from the media and/or fans that excuses him from bad performances and gets him remembered as a great QB, or he doesn't get that golden ticket and eventually gets run out of town. The truth is that all QBs are up and down, sometimes for whole seasons at a time, and every QB turns in some godawful performances if he plays long enough. Some QBs are just lucky to get patience and stability from their organizations and fan base while others don't despite similar levels of performance. Take for example the level of play of a guy like Carson Palmer and the level of play of one like Jake Delhomme or Matt Hasselback. I would say that Palmer got a pass for suck ass perfomances from his FO and the media while Delhomme and Hasselback never really got the same kind of patience despite both having pretty successful careers overall, and better careers than Palmer has had to date.

I'm a firm believer that franchise quarterbacks are made rather than born and that bad franchises don't make franchise QBs. The trouble is that with players, often poorly informed media or fan perception becomes the reality in assessing their career. A monolithic consensus is sought when writing the book on a player and extreme and uncomplicated positions are usually assumed. The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle though. For instance John Elway was actually human and had some unimpressive games, even unimpressive seasons. Also Jason Campbell was neither really a great nor terrible QB for us, but tended a bit more towards good than bad most of the time, reflected in his average to slightly above average statistical numbers. All in all, he did alright when you realize he was a young QB still improving a great deal every season despite having an awful set of circumstances to work with.

And lastly I'd like to throw out as a general observation that most football fans don't understand the quarterback position and often don't really know what good and bad quarterbacking actually looks like. This includes our fan base and our ES board membership which I see demonstrated in the extreme love being given Donovan McNabb and the extreme hatred Jason Campbell received. There isn't nearly as much separating them as QBs as people think.

Winning is The only stat and they are for apart in that stat.

Archived