Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Smart To Make Move For Brown Now

bulldog

Some critics around the NFL thought the Redskins moved too quickly in giving up a mid-round pick for Jammal Brown and should have waited for the Saints to be desperate enough to deal him for a #6 or #7.

Wasn't going to happen. Tackles are in too much demand around the NFL and as we saw this week with Willie Colon in Pittsburgh teams become desperate when injuries hit the line.

I expect New Orleans might have gotten more for Brown as training camps approach in July and more teams enter the bidding for free agents and potential trades.

Shanahan was able to get the 28 year old Brown for what is likely a #4 pick when all is said and done.

Compare that to the panic move by Cerrato to acquire 33 year old guard Pete Kendall from the Jets for #3 and #4 picks back in 2007.

Flozell Adams is set to visit the Steelers this week as a possible replacement for Colon.

Would you rather have had Adams at RT with the Redskins (as appeared possible if not probable) or Hicks (who appeared relieved to be moving back inside) than Brown?

Thought so.

I agree. A fourth for an in his primish left tackle, even if he is coming off injury, seems more than fair. It's unlikely the Saints would have sold him for scraps. Heck, he'd be a way more valuable back up than what a future 6th or 7th rounder from the 'skins might project to be.

Well, as it turns out some critics critique too quickly. Don't they?:)

BTW, what does the Brown trade leave us with as far as 2011 picks?

For now we have our 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

Our 3rd and 4th rounders are going to Philly for McNabb and NO for Brown. Now depending on which pick goes to NO, we're in line for either a 5th (if the 3rd) or 6th (if the 4th) back from them.

What critics said we moved too early? I have only heard positive comments out of the media. You would have to be an idiot to think that we did anything but basically steal Brown from the Saints IMO.

Given that the guy didn't play last year and that he's not signed to a long-term deal, I don't think that's a given. It COULD be a steal, if he has fully come back from his injuries and he's fine staying here and playing RT rather than going someplace else where he can play LT. There are some pretty big ifs here.

But, I do agree with the OP that if you think a player can really help your team, you don't wait and risk losing the player to another team by being cheap and seeing if the price drops. You make the best deal you can and get the player.

Well, we had a D o-line last year (and that's probably being generous). Right now, I'd say we have the potential to be about a B. I still have worries about guard and center and, of course, the rook tackle. Dock is a C+/B guard. Williams/Hicks is a mystery and Rabach has been about a C+ too. Brown can be a B+ although we have to see how he comes back from injuries and fits in this system. Williams is a complete unknown. He could be anything from an A++ to an F... we won't know until at least training camp.

Still, the Brown trade moves us from a D+ to C range to a possible above average to good line.

Well, we had a D o-line last year (and that's probably being generous). Right now, I'd say we have the potential to be about a B. I still have worries about guard and center and, of course, the rook tackle. Dock is a C+/B guard. Williams/Hicks is a mystery and Rabach has been about a C+ too. Brown can be a B+ although we have to see how he comes back from injuries and fits in this system. Williams is a complete unknown. He could be anything from an A++ to an F... we won't know until at least training camp.

Still, the Brown trade moves us from a D+ to C range to a possible above average to good line.

Agree, from a purely talent stand point.

The o-line can of course look much better with proper scheme, game planning, adjustments and a QB that can recognize coverages/blitzes and get the ball out quickly.

Also, for the first time since probably late 2005, it will be very difficult for teams to crowd the LOS against us on 1st and 2nd down, because we should have a complimentary passing threat

We didn't trade a 3rd and a 4th for Pete Kendall. I remember it being only a 4th.

I believe it was a 4th in 2007 and something like a 6th in 2008.

The thing that really differentiates the move for Brown from the move for Kendall, in addition to what Bulldog pointed out with regards to their relative ages, is that Shanahan didn't waste time screwing around with experiments.

He could have pulled a Gibbs/Cerrato and waited until the preseason games to see if what we had on the roster would cut it and cross your fingers. The boobs running the team back in 2007 tried to play a natural right tackle (Todd Wade) and convert him into a left guard despite his own reservations at doing it. He of course was awful and that forced them into panic mode and made the trade for the "old quick fix" with Kendall.

Shanahan gave the guys on the roster the OTAs and minicamps to show what they got and when he didn't like what he saw, he made the relative cheap move of getting a high quality and still in his prime player at this point in the offseason before things got desperate and before injuries in camps might have brought more suitors and thus driving the cost up.

It was a very impressive move by Shanahan and Allen.

I believe it was a 4th in 2007 and something like a 6th in 2008.

It was a 4th in 2009. It was a conditional pick. If he had played less than 80% of snaps, it would have been a 5th rounder in 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2988171

The thing that really differentiates the move for Brown from the move for Kendall, in addition to what Bulldog pointed out with regards to their relative ages, is that Shanahan didn't waste time screwing around with experiments.

Gibbs at the time wasn't much in the mood for trading away draft picks after blowing a bunch the previous year. Certainly trading a pick for a 34 year old player isn't what he really wanted to do. Also, it wouldn't have been shocking if the price was higher before they made the deal.

He could have pulled a Gibbs/Cerrato and waited until the preseason games to see if what we had on the roster would cut it and cross your fingers. The boobs running the team back in 2007 tried to play a natural right tackle (Todd Wade) and convert him into a left guard despite his own reservations at doing it. He of course was awful and that forced them into panic mode and made the trade for the "old quick fix" with Kendall.

To be fair, they didn't have much of a choice given that they had traded a good part of the 2007 draft away and good guards were getting stupid money that year in FA, more than anyone was anticipating. (I doubt anyone would have predicted the contract that Dock did get from Buffalo.)

Comparing this year to 2007 is apples and oranges.

Shanahan gave the guys on the roster the OTAs and minicamps to show what they got and when he didn't like what he saw, he made the relative cheap move of getting a high quality and still in his prime player at this point in the offseason before things got desperate and before injuries in camps might have brought more suitors and thus driving the cost up.

It was a very impressive move by Shanahan and Allen.

Again, I think the guy has some question marks, which is why his value was down and hadn't been dealt before now. I'll wait to see how he plays and if he decides to stick around longer than this year before I will say it is a good deal.

Archived