Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - O'Halloran: Redskins' 53-Man Roster, Version 1.0

jkypoo

This should spark some fun discussion:

http://www.csnwashington.com/06/21/1...987&feedID=272

QUARTERBACKS (3)

Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and Richard Bartel.

Analysis: One of the top competitions in training camp will be for No. 3 quarterback. Colt Brennan missed all of last year following hip surgery and Bartel arrived from Jacksonville’s practice squad late in the season. Bartel gets the edge because he appears to have a stronger arm.

RUNNING BACKS (4)

Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Mike Sellers and Ryan Torain.

Analysis: Yes, Brian Westbrook and Willie Parker aren’t on the list. I didn’t consider Westbrook because he’s not here yet (and may not be here at all) and the Redskins should wait for the preseason to play out to see if a team panics and trades a draft pick for Parker. Another great sub-plot of camp is how the Redskins divide the reps and playing time between Portis, Johnson and possibly Parker.

Click the link for the rest. It's quite interesting, especially the receivers.

My thoughts:

I find this interesting firstly because Colt has been excluded. Maybe I don't know enough about Bartel, but I find it unlikely that Colt will be excluded. Or am I just being naive?

Secondly, I don't know how comfortable I would be with that being our running back corp. Portis should be fine, but that leaves us only Johnson and Torain. Johnson is a question mark at this point in his career, though reports have been positive, and Torain is pretty much unknown. I would imagine at least one more viable running back making the finished list.

I notice Yoder is missing. Sad but basically inevitable.

Then Malcolm is gone? Has he been that bad that Wade and Furrey make the team ahead of him? I understand they play special teams, but does that warrant abandoning possibly unexploited talent in Kelly? Or have we seen enough?

The Oline looks so much better since Saturday. Ahhhh.

Dline is looking thin without AH (pun intended).

And the rest of the defense looks better than competitive. If the Dline stays healthy and over performs, I like the potential on paper. I guess another relevant question mark is how well last years Dlinemen transfer over to linebacker. But the names look good.

That DL group looks terrible without Haynesworth. If Al is traded or returns money and is released, we will need to reload the DL next offseason through the draft and FA. Maybe we can field a blue collar front 3 and get by with excellent LB's this year.

I find this interesting firstly because Colt has been excluded. Maybe I don't know enough about Bartel, but I find it unlikely that Colt will be excluded. Or am I just being naive?

I think it depends on who plays better. Right now, you can't make a call there.

Secondly, I don't know how comfortable I would be with that being our running back corp. Portis should be fine, but that leaves us only Johnson and Torain. Johnson is a question mark at this point in his career, though reports have been positive, and Torain is pretty much unknown. I would imagine at least one more viable running back making the finished list.

It would depend on if they play ST or not. They may be looking for that 3rd down back at some point in there, tho there aren't a lot of options.

I notice Yoder is missing. Sad but basically inevitable.

Yoder has been gone a long time. He wasn't returning. It will be interesting to see which of the three options will make the team, since whoever does make it has to be a blocking TE.

Then Malcolm is gone? Has he been that bad that Wade and Furrey make the team ahead of him? I understand they play special teams, but does that warrant abandoning possibly unexploited talent in Kelly? Or have we seen enough?

I think Furrey is a longshot to make the team. I think Wade or Roydell Williams have bigger shots to make the roster than him. I also wouldn't count out Anthony Armstrong if he continues to have a strong camp. For the last spot, it is going to be between Austin and Banks.

The Oline looks so much better since Saturday. Ahhhh.

I still think that Heyer would have to play his way off the roster for him not to make it. The fact that he can back up both tackle positions puts him at an advantage over Capers.

Eh, I'd expect some surprise cuts, but I don't see Kelly or Colt getting cut. I know those aren't MASSIVE cuts, but still that would be eye opening for many.

Malcolm would be eye opening, but definitely not colt. I wouldn't be suprised if he were cut. Zorn couldn't judge qb's to save his life, but shanahan can which means everyone on this team is expendable except for mcnabb.

Kelly will be there. Caper will be on the practice squad

I agree that Kelly will be there, but I hope you're wrong about Capers. I believe Capers can make the final 53, and send Heyer with his walking papers. We know what we have in Heyer, and that's a guy that can come in for a game, maybe 2, but nowhere near starter or even quality back up material. If Capers goes to the PS, I fear that another team will pick him up quickly.

Even thought it's a little early to tell, this is what I see as of right now:

QB: Top two spots etched in stone, wide open for the last spot. Won't be surprised if Colt Brennan is let go.

RB: I see CP, Sellers, Johnson and Robert Morris making the squad. The rest is up in the air. O'Hallaran listed Morris as a TE, Coach said Morris will be used as FB.

TE: Both make it.

WR: Wide open, anyone's spot to take

OL: Feeling much better with OL, I can see Heyer being the odd man out, same with Rinehart.

DL/LB: Too early to tell where the personnel is going to be placed since this is a new defensive system being implemented. BTW where's AH?

CB: I don't see how Haslett is so "high" on Rogers, unless he has a quick fix on how to improve his cover scheme plus his hands, if he decides to sign his tender.

S: I see all four making the squad. I think we all know what #30 needs to work on this season. As of right now, I put Horton in front of Moore.

ST: Virtual lock. If you can kick accurately with a broken foot, you're hired.

I don't know why anyone would be shocked if Brennan was cut. He hasn't earned anything yet. He's had more crappy preseason games than good. Shanahan holds no allegiance to any of these guys. Guys have to earn their spot this year.

I still think that Heyer would have to play his way off the roster for him not to make it. The fact that he can back up both tackle positions puts him at an advantage over Capers.

That would be Heyer's 2008-2009 campaigns. let's face it he will have to look like an all pro to beat out Hicks and Capers at this point, he's looked t6errible at the OTA's and Mini Camps.

I agree with most of those decisions, except for a few.

Edwin Williams, im not sure he will make it I think Lichtensteinger (spelling) or Oldenburg will take that last OL spot.

and the 6 WR (moss, thomas, galloway, wade, furrey, austin) I think furrey is just a camp body and that Kelly and/or armstrong have a better chance to make it than furrey/wade/galloway. Well that is also what I am hoping. Im pretty confidant kelly will still be here though.

Is it normal for 3-4 teams to keep 10 LBs? That sounds like a lot.

I doubt Kelly gets cut. I'd take him over Galloway.

I was never that high on Colt, and I think he's seen as a Zorn pick, and Shanahan probably isn't interested unless he really shows something this off-season. You probably don't want a 'gunslinger' type as the 3rd QB anyway.

I don't know why anyone would be shocked if Brennan was cut. He hasn't earned anything yet. He's had more crappy preseason games than good. Shanahan holds no allegiance to any of these guys. Guys have to earn their spot this year.

The reason why is his competition. Bartel, a journeyman wannabe 3rd stringer.

They didn't bring in a rookie free agent to even compete for a spot.

To me the surprise would be going with 2 QBs, McNabb who is unlikely to make it through the season healthy and Rex... who is... you know... Rex.

Archived