Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would Shanahan's (potential) success affect Gibbs' legacy?

street_lyte

I disagree, and please, get rid of that "TRUE" Redskin fan crap.

You are 39 years old. Are you telling me if someone who is 12 years old now sees MS get us a couple more rings, that MS won't and shouldn't mean more to him than Gibbs does?

First off step off your high horse and dont put words into my mouth...simply stating Gibbs would still have his legacy..legacy's are built through winning.....if Shanny wins great! Then he will have his own Redskins coaching legacy, one wouldn't mean more than the other (except to those that grew up in Gibbs time like me) Maybe true was misused...longtime maybe would be the better word to use.

Agreed 100%

Thanks

I think that MS, like Gibbs, is in a win-now attitude, but he's doing it the right way. With the help of Allen, we are making quality deals, and with the recent Brown move, me may have actually committed our first act of Front-Office larceny.

Makes me wonder how good Gibbs would have done with Allens help.

While it would be a HUGE task of Mike/Kyle Shanahan dethroning/sharing the throne with Gibbs as a Redskins legend, don't think that it's not possible. He has the chance to change our 4-12 embarrassment of a franchise, back to something a lot of us really havn't experienced.

Shanahan will not dethrone Gibbs any more than Holmgren dethroned Lombardi in Green Bay.

The only one affecting gibbs legacy was gibbs II. Nothing else compares.

I disagree, for a couple of reasons.

First, there is really nothing that can take away from what the skins did in the 80s and early 90s.

While not every season was stellar, we had some pretty darn good teams.

Second, Gibbs 2 was cut short by Gibbs himself. I have no doubt that had he stayed, we'd have won the Super Bowl again.

no ... don't think so.

st. joe is the redskins ... he started here, he ended here, he came back and gave us two glorious runs to get into the playoffs.

no ... nothing shanny can do can top that. I sure as hell would like to see him try man.

So who is the greatest coach in Packers history? Lombardi or Holmgren?

you can't compare the two ...

one is a pioneer, and innovater, the other is a damn good coach. the former will always trump the latter, even if holmgren won more SB's.

see the best guitarist argument ... you can talk SRV, Van Halen, Buckethead, Jimmy Page, all day.

when its all said and done, Hendrix stands tall because HE WAS THE FIRST ... he was from Mars. He layed the ground work, he was a pioneer. that is the true measuring stick.

you can't compare the two ...

one is a pioneer, and innovater, the other is a damn good coach. the former will always trump the latter, even if holmgren won more SB's.

see the best guitarist argument ... you can talk SRV, Van Halen, Buckethead, Jimmy Page, all day.

when its all said and done, Hendrix stands tall because HE WAS THE FIRST ... he was from Mars. He layed the ground work, he was a pioneer. that is the true measuring stick.

I think that is his point! You can't compare them and Holmgren being successful doesn't remove what Lombardi did.

That is why Gibbs legacy will never be touched.

Nope. not even an after thought.

How about several winning seasons first and a guarantee there is stability at QB in 2011.

The 1st GM/coach named MS (Marty Schottenheimer) under Danny was on his way after one year of changing the team from the so called laughing stock to a perennial contender, but like a little kid determined to taste the cake batter Danny had to put his hands in and the result was a mess was a mess.

Joe Gibbus Maximus is the standard bearer and winning without HOF QBs says a lot.

As the OP mentioned, Joe's first run in DC is untouchable. I don't need to rattle off the accomplishments, but no one is going to forget our first 3 Super Bowl championships ever. Gibbs 2.0 isn't anything more than an encore to me now that we're getting further removed from it. It came at a good time as we were all getting restless. We got a couple playoff berths and got to remember how great it felt to watch Joe walk the sideline, but we were below average overall.

Even if Shanahan were to match that success (unlikely), it'll probably just be referred to as a second golden age for the Redskins.

No matter what happens - Joe Gibbs won Superbowls - something we never saw before him! He won with different qaurterbacks as well as one time wonder running backs. The hogs became a legend, John Riggins an icon, Timmy Smith a one game wonder, Art Monk (say no more) and not to mention the fun bunch and more. Regardless of his second appearance, his first go around can not be challenged! Joe Gibbs in my eyes will always be top notch,

Gibbs 2.0 was the most successful run that most of us younger fans saw period. Gibbs took us on two playoff runs in seasons we thought were pretty much over. We had to win 4 or 5 games straight just to make it. In 05 we beat the Cowboys, Eagles, And Giants in convincing fashion to make the playoffs. That was the same year we had that amazing MNF game. In 07 after our tragic loss we lost a close one but then got 4 straight to make it again.

Am I embarrassed by any of this, hell no. Gibbs proved he was still a great coach.

I dont believe so...Bill Walsh won 3 superbowls...George Seifert won 2 after Walsh retired...its not like Bill Walsh has ever been forgotten!! Gibbs will always be remembered...and I'm sure Gibbs himself...would love nothing more than to see Shanny take the skins to mutiple Super Bowls...JMHO

Could great success by the current coach diminish Gibbs' legacy? Only an idiot could think otherwise. Flaherty's legacy definitely diminished some, even before Gibbs 1.0, simply because many of the fans during his period were dead or had lived about 40 years between NFL Championships and was a dim memory by the time Gibbs won his second SB.

Could great success by the current coach diminish Gibbs' legacy? Only an idiot could think otherwise. Flaherty's legacy definitely diminished some, even before Gibbs 1.0, simply because many of the fans during his period were dead or had lived about 40 years between NFL Championships and was a dim memory by the time Gibbs won his second SB.

Which is a shame because Flaherty was a great coach and made the Redskins a constant winner in the 1930's and 1940's. Unfortunately, GPM fired him after he came back from serving in the military and...well, I think we all know what happened after that.

40 years without a title to our name; and if you think the Redskins had a revolving door of coaches last decade, look at the Redskins in Marshall's last years. The team was even more of a league wide joke than they are now.

I forgot how great a deep ball Ryp threw...

It really is amazing. If McNabb can throw a deep ball for the Redskins anywhere close to how Ryp did we will have a great offense. Those deep balls by Ryp couldn't be anymore perfect.

I personally love when they show RFK behind the Capitol and the band/fans after the INT TD(along with Madden's comments).(If Redskins get a new stadium in DC they have to have it in a great scenic location. So many stadiums now have things like mountains or a beautiful view of a city's downtown. Fedex is just a stadium and parking lot in a random place).

Did Mike Holmgren winning a Super Bowl in Green Bay tarnish Lombardi's legacy?

How about Jimmy Johnson in Dallas vis a vis Landry?

Of course not.

Each era brings out its own heroes and goats.

What Gibbs 2.0 taught us in retrospect perhaps is how important the interaction between Gibbs and Beathard had been in building a winner here.

In that regard it is no different than looking back at Landry and recognizing that Gil Brandt helped him win by making shrewd draft picks and trades.

](1)It was more the malignant tumors that he left in the form of a roster heavy on aging veterans and (2) light on future draft picks. It took some time to metastasize, but when it did, (3)we ended up with an roster shockingly lacking depth, no more clearly shown than in an putrid offensive line. Gibbs mortgaged the future, and the bill came due last season. He is not alone in this, but he is partly liable.
Underlined and numbered the wrong parts.

1. Those "malignant tumors", got us two playoff appearances in four years.

2. Gibbs left us all our draft picks except the 4th rd pick (Duckett) for 2008.

3. Yes, Gibbs built a team of veterans instead of youth. Kind of like Shanny is doing now? I don't approve of that strategy either, but Gibbs made it work decently. The wheels fell off, particularly the O-Line in 2008, but again, that was after Gibbs left, and Vinny didn't address our needs at all that offeason before except pass catchers. Stop blaming Gibbs for stuff that happened after he left.

Basically explained it. Look at all those draft picks and knee jerk reactions as well. Al Saunders was not needed, we seemed to be doing well after the 2005 season. I'm not fully sure who was behind that, but Gibbs was the official president as well as coach, where he was only the coach during his first tenure. Lloyd, Duckett, Brunell, Rocky Mac, Cooley, Campbell, all lead to trading future picks. Sure Cooley and Rocky are good, but the rest are not on the roster anymore. Compare that to the trades we have made under Shanahan.

I could write more, but while I appreciate Gibbs trying to take something most coaches didn't wnat to touch, lots of people don't seem to realize that he did not really right the ship overall, just helped it stay afloat and somewhat competitive with what he had. No one could doubt he could get the most out of his players, but he wa snot a good personnel guy and was not the personnel guy during his first tenure.

Dude, we finished 2005 with a beast in Portis, but our passing game was anemic. We had no WR contributing other than Moss. A change had to be made.

The moves Gibbs made led us to a sub-.500 record, but 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. Which was much better than we'd had since 1999.

Have you seen the age of the guys Shanny has traded for? Guarantee you those old guys won't last any longer than Gibbs' guys.

Guess lots of people don't realize that Gibbs' didn't help anything "stay afloat". He took the boat that was sunk by the Spurrier debacle, raised it, and put it on a roller coaster ride of bad 1 year - playoffs the next - bad 1 year - playoffs the next.

Gibbs strong suit was coaching, but he drafted much better than when Vinny/Danny/Spurrier were calling the shots before, and much better than Vinny called the shots afterwards.

I could write more. But that basically explains why Gibbs shouldn't be blamed for the Vinny/Zorn debacle.

Archived