Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Art Monk: "We were like orphans"

themurf

anybody surprised at how many skins still feel an allegiance to this team after being alienated for so many years???

it blows me away when i hear from some of these guys and the passion that they still have for the skins.

so cool that they are "back home."

Thanks for posting Fanboy, great story and as others have said it's a damn shame that it took this long to happen, especially with Gibbs 2.0 being here for four years and Danny being a lifelong fan you'd think this idea would have been thought of years ago. Not putting this on Joe, but it's just really shocking that it took this long.

In any case major props to Bruce, he knows how important the alumni are to the franchise and vice versa and he knows what the tradition means to the players and fan base. This feels like a real organization now compared with previous years.

Nice read and very cool that Bruce is reconnecting with all the old, great Redskins. But honestly, it's embarrassing it's taken this long,.....10 year of horrible mis-management.

Ten years of Vinny, ten years of an arrogant asshat making horrible decisions, but the turd has been flushed. I guarantee that Vinny won't be making any visits to Redskins park

“And that’s absolutely right. And that’s what he did, so that’s why we’re here. Whereas the Vinny guy was the exact opposite. He wanted to do it himself and he didn’t know how to do it.”

It's amazing how much an philosophical shift in an organization can change the culture this much in this short amount of time. We want to move forward and grow as a team and in order to do that, we must take the lessons from the past and learn from them.

Having former Redskins around is a major step in that process. Thank you Bruce, you continue to make us proud. :)

Ten years of Vinny, ten years of an arrogant asshat making horrible decisions, but the turd has been flushed. I guarantee that Vinny won't be making any visits to Redskins park

Um ... hate to break it to you, but Cerrato was standing on the sidelines during the alumni day. He was away from the old timers, off to the side and by himself, but he was, in fact, there.

Thanks for a great read.

George Starke: "that Vinny guy" :ols:

I love this move and I'm really looking forward to seeing the alums work with the current players. I'm hoping we hear more about that as we get into the season.

I'm proud to be part of a fanbase that holds its player alums in such high regard.

What's funnier is that I'm pretty sure Vinny was at the park that day.

It's still sad to hear an icon like Art Monk say "We were like orphans". The sole bright spot was the seemingly common opinion that it was because of Vinnie. I hope Art recalls from the HOF induction that the fans never forgot him.

This has got to be the biggest upgrade at a single position (Vinny -> Allen) that this team has ever made. Followed closely by the massive upgrade made from Zorn -> Shanahan. And that is followed by the colossal upgrade from Campbell -> McNabb.

I know we get our hopes beaten out of us every year, but it is hard not to be extremely excited for that the next 3-5 years will bring us.

was riggins there? lavar? considering what these two have said in recent months (and years), it would be interesting to know.

Neither John Riggins or LaVar Arrington were in attendance. Not sure if they were invited or not. Of course, a handful of the guys who had indicated that they would attend (like, say, Corey Raymer) ended up not making out to the event either. So maybe they were invited, but couldn't make it. Who knows for sure?

So i guess when Joe Gibbs was around for the last few years, these guys still felt orphaned? Seems like I've heard all of this before somewhere.....

Gary Clark specifically mentioned that Joe Gibbs had him come out to address the team back when Joe was coaching. So Grandpa Gibbs definitely still tried to keep the mindset alive, the problem apparently came from elsewhere.

In all honesty' date=' how is it possible that this was not already occurring? It's mind-blowing.

I went to law school in Pittsburgh. And the old Steelers were around so much that it was actually rather depressing. I mean, shouldn't they have something else to do with their time? But the fans seemed to eat it up. It just seems like such an obvious way to create goodwill and make money without really having to do anything.[/quote']

Amen, and given Snyder's long time fandom of this team, why did this take so friggin' long?? The last time I can recall anything like this was for the announcement of the 70 Greatest Redskins. Oddly enough, the Colts were the opponent for that event and they will be the opponent for the "Homecoming" in October.

BTW, the other good thing of an event like this is Snyder gets to meet some Superstars instead of going out and wining and dining some overpriced Free Agents who turn out to be busts.

Archived