Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Running" Thread

Elessar78

i am just starting back out doing walk runs right now. what is the best kind of schedule to go on? right now i generally run tuesday-saturday with sometimes taking saturday off. do i need to do more? i have never run like this before as i was always training for sports by doing sprints and never distance running to try to build endurance. right now i am doing a couple of minutes warm up then i will run about an 1/8th of a mile and then walk for a few more minutes and then go for another 1/8th and then do about a 5 minute cool down. i know that that is pretty lame but i run at a pretty brisk pace and hey you gotta start somewhere right? any tips? best way to get more endurance so i can go farther?

That's not lame. Lame is sitting on your butt doing nothing.

I'd say that's a great start. If you're just starting out 3 times a week is good. The problem that new runners, um, run into is that they're gung ho when they start and go too hard too soon. Which leaves them sore for a few days and that's when the motivation to run deserts them.

When you're starting out you just want to form that habit first of going out and being on your feet. The run walk thing is great. Keep doing what you're doing, but say after two weeks start mixing in a slow jog.

Your cycle now is: walk, run, walk, run.

Maybe change it to: walk, run, slow jog, run, walk, run, slow jog, walk

Keep it up!!

I am having motivational issues. Been trying to ger back into running for the past month, and have gotten up & done it a couple of times, but haven't stuck to the schedule yet.

Even so, I still managed to bang out a 6:45 mile last week, now trying to stretch out to do 3 miles for a 5k in mid July.

Monday is my target day to start working. I was in terrific shape last year just doing 2 miles a morning on Monday/Wednesday/Friday......

My 5K is always my motivation. I sign up for one, run it, get disappointed with my time and that motivates me to do better and keep running.

6:45 is awesome!!

I always got shinsplints when I did any sort of distance running (like, a mile).

me too, i always hated running and even when i was in shape, the shin splints made me hate it more. recently i decided to get back in shape (i've still been lazy about it) and decided to go all out and buy actual running shoes, as opposed to whatever old shoes i don't wear anymore. i went to pacers and got one an analysis of my running style and all that, and went top of the line and got some aesic. long story short, they work. my legs hurt from being lazy all this time, but i didn't get shin splints. so yeah, invest in some shoes.

on a side note, i can't stand you people who like running. but yet, i wish i was one of you people who like running lol.

My sons school is holding a 5k so I decided to give it a shot. This will be my first 5k/competitive run. I have been running steadily 2x a week for over a year now.

When I played Rugby I would run/jog for conditioning this seems different. My goal is to come in under 28 minutes. My problem will be keeping my competitive nature in check and not trying to keep up with the "runners". OTOH, I might suprise by trying to keep up with the runners. :)

My 5K is always my motivation. I sign up for one, run it, get disappointed with my time and that motivates me to do better and keep running.

6:45 is awesome!!

Thanks. I was at 6:20 last year, so I'm real impressed that I'm still in that neighborhood.

It's miles two and three that get to me. So I'm trying to stretch myself out. Run 3 minutes, walk three, and so on. I'll do that this week, then bump to 4 minutes/2, 5/1, then 6/0 (or straight running). If I can get there, my 5K test run will be on July 12th, a day before the 5K...... :)

me too, i always hated running and even when i was in shape, the shin splints made me hate it more. recently i decided to get back in shape (i've still been lazy about it) and decided to go all out and buy actual running shoes, as opposed to whatever old shoes i don't wear anymore. i went to pacers and got one an analysis of my running style and all that, and went top of the line and got some aesic. long story short, they work. my legs hurt from being lazy all this time, but i didn't get shin splints. so yeah, invest in some shoes.

on a side note, i can't stand you people who like running. but yet, i wish i was one of you people who like running lol.

I only "like" running because I make a conscious effort to do so. I am not naturally good at it. In fact, not really good at it at all. Middle of the pack at the local turkey trot 5k. But really the challenge is to convince yourself that you do like it. I find that divorcing the act of running from goal times, or pace, or distance has helped. The other thing is just how I react to the "uncomfortable" times. A seeming pure natural and talented runner once was running alongside of me in a timed test in the military. She(yeah, she) made a comment that I looked I was suffering. Said something that has stuck with me to this day 18 years later "It is okay to hurt, not okay to suffer" I try to think of that when I hit a rough patch...sometimes it works.

Thanks. I was at 6:20 last year, so I'm real impressed that I'm still in that neighborhood.

It's miles two and three that get to me. So I'm trying to stretch myself out. Run 3 minutes, walk three, and so on. I'll do that this week, then bump to 4 minutes/2, 5/1, then 6/0 (or straight running). If I can get there, my 5K test run will be on July 12th, a day before the 5K...... :)

I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone that can bang out a sub-7 mile use that approach to train for a 5k. Nor have I heard of anyone use the day before the goal day as a final test! Will be interested to hear how it works out. Update this with progress every now and then for the next month if you can. Good luck!

My sons school is holding a 5k so I decided to give it a shot. This will be my first 5k/competitive run. I have been running steadily 2x a week for over a year now.

When I played Rugby I would run/jog for conditioning this seems different. My goal is to come in under 28 minutes. My problem will be keeping my competitive nature in check and not trying to keep up with the "runners". OTOH, I might suprise by trying to keep up with the runners. :)

Suprised myself with a 24.03, reaching a 1.5 mark in 12.30. I usually run on a treadmill and finish 3.1 in about 28 minutes, I'm 6'5 so when I run on the treadmill I feel like I'm sprinting, today I felt like I had a slower pace, but finished a lot faster.

Why is this happening?

Just finished my Race to Feed the Hungry 5k run this morning. Finished in 36:20 which isnt the greatest time, but as I mentioned earlier I weighed in at 350 lbs last January of 2009, so I'll take it. Mostly proud of myself for not stopping to walk the entire way. There was a killer hill to end the race, so I paced myself for most of it so I could finish without walking. For the most part there was hills both up and down, and the course looped around at the end so we came back the same way we started, so any downhills were uphills on the way back.

In fact...3.1 miles is the longest I have gone without stopping to walk ever I think. When I workout and jog at the park I usually stop after each lap to get a drink of water. Only really push myself to go a full mile without stopping.

Fiance and I decided to try and do a 5k for a good cause every month for the spring/summer/fall seasons.

best way to get more endurance so i can go farther?

To build endurance most of your running should be at an "easy" pace. That is, if you had a running buddy you should be able to hold a conversation and run continuously.

If that is 13 minutes per mile that's OK. If you need to take walk breaks that's OK too. Before too long, your "easy" pace will be 12, then 11, then 10, then 9 etc minutes per mile.

If you see elite runners, outside of a final race sprint, they look relaxed. Your running should be relaxed too. If it's hard work, slow down.

Experienced runners do most of their running 2 and a half minutes per mile slower than their 5k race pace. Slow training is good training. More, slower miles is better than shorter intensive efforts. Once you have a good endurance base and are aerobically strong, then adding in some intensity will help fine tune things.

I can honestly say that I have never heard of anyone that can bang out a sub-7 mile use that approach to train for a 5k. Nor have I heard of anyone use the day before the goal day as a final test!

Running intervals is the fastest way to get immediate improvement, and sharpen what you already have. But it's not the best long term plan

And running hard the day before a race isn't a great idea as you want your legs to be fresh.

Suprised myself with a 24.03, reaching a 1.5 mark in 12.30. I usually run on a treadmill and finish 3.1 in about 28 minutes, I'm 6'5 so when I run on the treadmill I feel like I'm sprinting, today I felt like I had a slower pace, but finished a lot faster.

Why is this happening?

Nice.

In races you get a boost both from adrenaline and the natural competitive spirit that pushes you harder. Having someone alongside to pace against also helps in the tough patches of a race.

Unless you go out much too hard, a race typically is much faster than a time trial run alone.

Given your height, you may run more relaxed and more naturally when not on a treadmill. I don't mind the feel of treadmill running so much but my wife (who runs sub six minute pace) doesn't enjoy much faster than 8 minute pace on a treadmill.

So at my last race, I got a "door prize" these socks called Swiftwick (Olefin). I finally tried em on for a run this past weekend and they feel awesome. They are super thin socks with a wicking fabric. They feel great too. Highly recommend them. Although at $10.95 a pair, I'd probably only use them for racing.

Nice.

In races you get a boost both from adrenaline and the natural competitive spirit that pushes you harder. Having someone alongside to pace against also helps in the tough patches of a race.

Unless you go out much too hard, a race typically is much faster than a time trial run alone.

Given your height, you may run more relaxed and more naturally when not on a treadmill. I don't mind the feel of treadmill running so much but my wife (who runs sub six minute pace) doesn't enjoy much faster than 8 minute pace on a treadmill.

I was going to say the same thing. When you're in a race no matter what's going through your head (oh this sucks, why am i doing this, maybe i should pass this guy, etc..) you are always subconciously more competitive. It is for me, at least. Seeing all those people running around you is also distracting and you do pick up your pace to the speed of the pack.

If you guys are running a competitive 5k, and you want to get a good time, just concentrate on passing one person at a time, you won't have to increase your speed all that much and you will feel like you are progressing a lot more in the race.

One of the biggest things that i've seen hurt people who are trying to get faster is their arms. Many swing them to the side or some other weird motion, but if you train yourself to move them straight up and down efficiently you will notice an improvement.

The best way to improve, as others have said, is to slow down, and run longer and more often. When i started running about 2 years ago i had no idea how to improve. But my track and cross country coach put us through a great training program. What you need to do is mix up your runs. Go for a long 45-60 minute run 3 times a week at a relaxed pace, and twice a week do a more intense run or an interval practice. Jog 2 minutes run 2, jog 2, run 3, jog 2, run 4, jog 2 run 3, and so on. This will improve your speed while the long runs help your endurance as well as help you recover.

Before my first year of track i ran a 7:05-ish mile. I ended the season at about a 5:55. Then that fall of cross country i ran my first 5k in 22:20 and ended with my fastest time being 18:57. Finally, this year of track, i ended up with a personal best mile of 5:21.

To end, what people have been saying about slowing down and running more is true. That is the key to improvement. I wish you all luck in your endeavors :cheers:

I ran Middle School into High School, was on our schools first ever all Freshman Team, and the first team to ever qualify for the WV state Finals for our Class. I also ran Track in HS, the 1600 and 3200 Meters. Found out I was actually a pretty good 800 runner back in the day, but when I wasn't able to keep going in college I got out of practice.

I've been trying to get back into it since settling down in Hinton, but its hard when your as out of shape as I've gotten. Three false starts due to injuries. This year I hurt myself falling down my stairs and partially tore some ligaments, but I'm not going to be deterred. I'm going to build my legs up slowly with walking for a few months, and then maybe up to a jog or run. I may never do a 4:55 Mile again, but hey that's okay, I'm mainly doing this to up my metabolism and strengthen my lower body.

I actually did 21 Blocks (by blocks I mean from one street corner to another) today which I think is pretty close to a mile and a half.) But its going to take time, but I'm just plain tired of being worn out by Walmart every other weekend. My legs can do better if I train them.

Funny this thread popped up. I recently started running to release stress at the end of the day and geez, a few weeks in I can already tell how much more fresh and happier I am. I use to play soccer in high school and ran track for a little while. I was always more of a sprinter but my endurance was pretty good in high school. Anyway, I've started out slow and I'm about at a mile running non-stop right now. I started out around running 1/4 a mile, then walking over the last couple of weeks and I'm at a mile. I'm going at a very slow pace, but my goal is to be at 2 miles in the next couple of weeks and then 3 then 4, you get the picture. My running path involves running up and down hills which is pretty strenuous. The funniest thing to me though was that I took a few days off and my first day back running, I ran farther than I predicted I would run and it was with some ease as well. It's amazing what simple exercise can do for the mind and body. By the way, I don't really enjoy running haha, but it makes me feel great afterwards. I'm running without an iPod as well, I need to invest in an iPod shuffle because I heard those things can make it feel as if you aren't even running.

Great thread. I have pretty much hated running most of my life. I've played sports, but just running for the heck of it just never suited me.

about 4 yrs ago, at my heaviest and out of shape self, I did a 12k- avg 13 min mile and was far ahead of the per mile avg for women my age. I was shocked. I had planned to run the next year, and actually train so I could increase my time- but blew my knee out. 2 yrs ago this month I had ACL surgery.

I decided to really get into the running this winter/spring b/c I knew it would really help my leg get stronger, and help w. snowboarding in the winter.

I used an app on my iPhone that was a 12 wk program, where you start out walking a min (at your own pace) and running 1 min (own pace)- Every other time would increase and after 10 weeks you are running 20 min non stop- and after 12 weeks, 30 min non stop (at own pace).

I really loved it and then for whatever reason stopped about 2 months ago- but Im back running and my goal is a 10 min mile for the 12 k next may- and going to look for a shorter race this fall. (5k or 10k)

Edit: I have very flat feet and finding comfortable/affordable shoes is tough- any one have suggestions?

I only "like" running because I make a conscious effort to do so. I am not naturally good at it. In fact, not really good at it at all. Middle of the pack at the local turkey trot 5k. But really the challenge is to convince yourself that you do like it. I find that divorcing the act of running from goal times, or pace, or distance has helped. The other thing is just how I react to the "uncomfortable" times. A seeming pure natural and talented runner once was running alongside of me in a timed test in the military. She(yeah, she) made a comment that I looked I was suffering. Said something that has stuck with me to this day 18 years later "It is okay to hurt, not okay to suffer" I try to think of that when I hit a rough patch...sometimes it works.

i was just pickin with you guys. like it or not, i think it's admirable to run consistently, since it's something i have never done. i don't know if i will ever like it, but i at least wanna get to the point where i feel disgusting on a day when i skipped a running work out. i think getting in shape is the hard part, as opposed to staying in shape. i heard a similar quote in a philosophy class, but it didn't have anything to do with running. but that is a good way to look at it.

my daughter would like to push the keys, so here she goes:

hb cccccccccccccccccgfjjjy

0nm,oopjhv nb

Edit: I have very flat feet and finding comfortable/affordable shoes is tough- any one have suggestions?

You likely need either stability or motion control shoes. These are not necessarily more expensive than other types. The arch of your foot acts as a shock absorber and those with flat feet basically need support to stop overpronation ... the foot collapsing during impact, the ankle rotating in and the knee overcompensating.

A good running store should be able to provide advice on which shoes work best for you. It's worth paying for a pair that fit - you can always price shop for replacements later. Failing that, an online store like roadrunnersports.com will allow you to search for shoes are motion control, stability, neutral etc. and you could look for those in your local stores.

Taking action to strengthen your feet will help - some barefoot running on soft surfaces such as sand on nice short grass. And foot strength exercises (gas pedals, rotations, drawing the alphabet with your toes, picking up a ping pong ball with your toes etc.

To build endurance most of your running should be at an "easy" pace. That is, if you had a running buddy you should be able to hold a conversation and run continuously.

That is a way, but not really the only way. Easy pace requires more volume than following a high intensity interval training approach. And high intensity training can be more "uncomfortable"...especially to someone that is not familiar with the feel of really pushing out of the comfort zone.

I think one of the reasons why elites do so much of their training at a low threshold is because they need the recovery and they have/make the time to train. But not all of their runs are recovery runs and their training schedules are much too complex to discuss here.

That is a way, but not really the only way. Easy pace requires more volume than following a high intensity interval training approach. And high intensity training can be more "uncomfortable"...especially to someone that is not familiar with the feel of really pushing out of the comfort zone.

I think one of the reasons why elites do so much of their training at a low threshold is because they need the recovery and they have/make the time to train. But not all of their runs are recovery runs and their training schedules are much too complex to discuss here.

The key word here is MOST.

Easy runs are not the same as recovery runs. They allow you to build aerobic strength while setting up the next training session which may or may not be high intensity.The fast path to injury, especially for us older folks is too much intensity. Easy running builds leg strength as well as aerobic capacity.

Once someone has a decent aerobic base then adding two or three "quality" workouts a week is a good way to go. In the base building phase it's a good idea to add in striders, tempos, progressions, and, gradually, hill charges.

As noted earlier, doing intervals only will lead to short term gains. But what is happening is that you are sharpening what is already there - the icing on the cake. It is the volume of easy running that bakes the cake.

Run lots. Mostly easy. Some hard.

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Coeur+d%27Alene,+ID&geocode=CauOxtM1dU47FfOA1wIdThIK-SmPfFW6-LRhUzGQUr8FW5nlXw&q=running+store&f=l&sll=47.677683,-116.780466&sspn=0.088881,0.169945&ie=UTF8&hq=running+store&hnear=&ll=47.610792,-116.989288&spn=0.711952,1.359558&z=10&iwloc=A

Here's a google map link to Fleet Feet, a running store I just looked up that's in Coeur D'Alene, ID. There's a branch here in the DC area and they're pretty knowledgeable. I'm sure they can outfit you with a shoe that will address your needs. My local running store always asks what my price range is first, so they may do the same. I'm all for buying shoes online but obviously can't test the fit.

There's an apple app and shoe device that helps you track your mileage. You can "compete" with other people online—I've heard it's fun and has a big following. Can someone help me out with the name, I'm blanking right now.

Archived