Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Running" Thread

Elessar78

I ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago in Hickory NC. It was warm, and very hilly, but i still had a good time. I did it in 2 hours 2 minutes and 32 seconds, and finished in 151st place out of 600 people.

I run about 3 times a week, now since it is so hot down here in the lowcountry i get up around 5 am to do 5-7 mile runs before work. I plan on running 2 more half marathons this fall and a few next spring! I really enjoy running, it is a great stress relief for me.

HOLY Moley..thats a lot of running. Don't your legs ache like no other? You are supposed to take days off in between runs at least every once in awhile. At least that's what I have learned through multiple sources. How is your body holding up to this? Curious, and damn good job, but 5k's? sounds like you are ready for marathons.

No problems with aches and pains. I try to do all my running on trails (I live close to the W&OD trail). It's a little more forgiving on the knees and as it undulates and wooded it's a lot more interesting than flat concrete or asphalt.

Days off are really only necessary if you need the recovery. All my running is "easy" pace so recovery days aren't necessary. If anything, inactivity might lead to stiffness.

Maybe when I ratchet up intensity I might enjoy the days off.

I also stretch after every run (well almost every one) and do basic strength exercises.

As for race length, I'm much more interested in the challenge of running a decent 5k, and the different training elements required to do that, than jogging a marathon. At this point I don't know if I'll ever consider racing more than 10k.

I run about 3 times a week, now since it is so hot down here in the lowcountry

Great..I am visiting my old man down in Beaufort July 1st-6th, and was planning on doing my normal running routine...sounds like it won't be as fun or easy as I thought.

Great..I am visiting my old man down in Beaufort July 1st-6th, and was planning on doing my normal running routine...sounds like it won't be as fun or easy as I thought.

This week was rough, the highs were around 100 with lots of humidity, in the mornings at 5 am it was still close to 80! I would meet ya when you are in town, but im going to be in the Keys....

I should just be working on building a base, but I get greedy.

As none of us are doing this to earn our living, do whatever is fun and motivates you. :)

I'm the type who's uninterested in entering a race unless I've done a certain level of preparation. I'm as much motivated by the program and executing it.

I ran a TON when I was in the Marines. I was clockin the 3 mile run in the low 19 minutes. Then I blew out my knee and the times whent up (partially due to the fact that Iwas somking like a chimney). Got out in 04 and hadn't ran, until Monday. I quit smoking over a year ago (most have seen my thread by now) and decided I needed to lose some weight (6'2" 250lbs, YIKES). I slapped on a new pair of ascics and went for a mile and a half run. Tuesday wasn't feeling sore so, ran again this time I pushed myself to a have a smother pace. Yesterday sore as hell. Today I am gettin back on it because I'll be going to the Strasburh gam tomorrow and will be unable to get the run in.

I am starting to look forward to my runs which I thought was never possible after the Marines.

Just slow down. :)

Man it was tough for me just today, and it was only 84 degrees. I never go full speed though. Usually am a jogger as opposed to a runner. Slowing down is actually what got me going longer distances. Use to try and run it and would barely last a mile before wanting to walk...now I am doing 4-5 miles every other day at a decent pace.

I ran a TON when I was in the Marines. I was clockin the 3 mile run in the low 19 minutes. Then I blew out my knee and the times whent up (partially due to the fact that Iwas somking like a chimney). Got out in 04 and hadn't ran, until Monday. I quit smoking over a year ago (most have seen my thread by now) and decided I needed to lose some weight (6'2" 250lbs, YIKES). I slapped on a new pair of ascics and went for a mile and a half run. Tuesday wasn't feeling sore so, ran again this time I pushed myself to a have a smother pace. Yesterday sore as hell. Today I am gettin back on it because I'll be going to the Strasburh gam tomorrow and will be unable to get the run in.

I am starting to look forward to my runs which I thought was never possible after the Marines.

Congrats man keep it up. Former smoker, and was overweight myself. Know the feeling of getting back into it. No better feeling then going beyond what you expected to do.

Barefoot running can be anything from a cult to a practical way of strengthening your feet.

As kids we ran barefoot on grass (and on the beach) and when you do you more naturally land on your midsole.

With big cushioned-sole trainers it's possible to land on your heels which acts as a breaking action and can also cause injury as certain parts of your legs take an undue amount of strain. An expensive shoe can mask the problem but sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost. But you can just as easily get injured running in minimal footwear or barefoot.

If anything, it will happen sooner. That said, I know serious athletes who do warmups or drills barefoot on grass to help strengthen the muscles in the foot.

But it doesn't take barefoot running to make you land on your midsole. When you run you can focus a little on that. For most people it's fairly natural to have the foot land under rather than in front of your body.

Worrying about cadence seems a little too artificial. If you avoid over-striding you will typically run in an efficient way.

Whether it is more natural to land midfoot or not is probably debatable. I can assure you that it was not more natural for me. If you take 5 or 10 minutes on the side of the W&OD watching people run by you may be surprised by the results of just how may people overstride and heel strike.

What is artificial about cadence in your opinion? I have had both running coaches and physical therapists point out the value both in terms of performance and injury prevention. Ultimately I do agree that if you avoid over-striding you will run in an efficient way...with a higher cadence. If you run with a higher cadence you will run in an efficient way...and avoid over-striding.

I hear and identify with that! Although my time was in the Army. Pretty much never fast enough...no matter how fast I was. Running was definitely a chore in the military. Glad you are enjoying it now on your terms. It was a great feeling when I started to do that also.

I hear and identify with that! Although my time was in the Army. Pretty much never fast enough...no matter how fast I was. Running was definitely a chore in the military. Glad you are enjoying it now on your terms. It was a great feeling when I started to do that also.

I agree with this! When i was in the Marines i hated runs because they were to slow. It took me a long time to start running on my own. I started about a year and a half ago, and love it!

I only buy into the argument that it's more natural because they showed slow-mo video of these rural african kids (Kenyan) who run without shoes and their natural landing surface is midsole/forefoot. But like Corc said, none of us is doing this for a living so there's really no push to change your running style.

My main sport is soccer and I use running as conditioning. There is something to be said for having stronger feet (which is what barefoot running and those simulator shoes can help with) in my sport.

Some of you are ex-smokers? I hope to be ex-overweight someday soon!

Yep smoked 16 years, it will be two year's quit this July 11th. Also lost 120+ lbs since Feb 2009. It's an amazing feeling running now, and knowing just a year before it wouldn't have been possible.

Good luck with the weight loss! Something tells me if you are out there running you are well on your way!

I only buy into the argument that it's more natural because they showed slow-mo video of these rural african kids (Kenyan) who run without shoes and their natural landing surface is midsole/forefoot. But like Corc said, none of us is doing this for a living so there's really no push to change your running style.

My main sport is soccer and I use running as conditioning. There is something to be said for having stronger feet (which is what barefoot running and those simulator shoes can help with) in my sport.

It is a more "natural" way to run. Meaning that is the way our body is designed. However as he mentioned running shoes turned into heel strike producing machines with the big cushioned heel. That coupled with a generally sedentary existence when not out exercising which causes all kinds of biomechanical issues.

Believe me, I never knew I was "running wrong" until I was well into my 30's. Adjusting form eliminated shin splints and sore knees from running experience. That and I got a little faster. By no means am I fast...or would even be competitive at the local 5k.

I certainly didn't mean to discount the barefoot running experience. The only "bad" thing I have heard/read about is to go out and go too far too soon and end up hurting themselves. If you give it a try I would love to hear your results/experiences with it.

Whether it is more natural to land midfoot or not is probably debatable. I can assure you that it was not more natural for me. If you take 5 or 10 minutes on the side of the W&OD watching people run by you may be surprised by the results of just how may people overstride and heel strike.

I think we're sort of in agreement. My point was that a kid running barefoot doesn't heel strike typically because it's painful to put all the impact on the heel bone. If runners try to have their feet land under rather than in front of their body, they will land on their midsole, spread out the impact and avoid a breaking effect. Big cushioned shoes mask the problem for heel strikers, but aren't to blame. But attempting to run barefoot as if it were going to magically fix someone's form if they are a heel striker will probably end up too hurt to run.

What is artificial about cadence in your opinion? I have had both running coaches and physical therapists point out the value both in terms of performance and injury prevention. Ultimately I do agree that if you avoid over-striding you will run in an efficient way...with a higher cadence. If you run with a higher cadence you will run in an efficient way...and avoid over-striding.

It's the focus on cadence that's artificial to me. You see people with metronomes trying to run at the 'right' cadence. :)

Based on a number of factors the 'recommended' cadence of 180 may not be right for you and trying to maintain that (rather than a more natural higher or lower number for you) can lead to injury. Again, running so that your foot strike is under your body and maintaining a reasonable turnover will be more likely to get you running efficiently and injury free.

If you land heel first you will be less efficient because of the breaking effect, dependent on how dramatic it is.

To repeat another point, if you think of the impact area , your midsole and forefoot have many bones and a wide area to spread the impact. If you land on your heel bone that's a lot of energy in a small space and will probably result in shin, knee or hip pain.

And sort of on the subject, here's a video in slo mo (and super slo mo) of the leaders at the Boston Marathon.

http://vimeo.com/11574380

http://vimeo.com/11574503

If you land heel first you will be less efficient because of the breaking effect, dependent on how dramatic it is.

To repeat another point, if you think of the impact area , your midsole and forefoot have many bones and a wide area to spread the impact. If you land on your heel bone that's a lot of energy in a small space and will probably result in shin, knee or hip pain.

And sort of on the subject, here's a video in slo mo (and super slo mo) of the leaders at the Boston Marathon.

http://vimeo.com/11574380

http://vimeo.com/11574503

Thanks for the link. That video is awesome. What is Meb doing he needs to read this thread?:)

I'll let this thread go for a while before introducing lactic threshold training as a topic of discussion:silly:

Thanks for the link. That video is awesome. What is Meb doing he needs to read this thread?:)

Yeah, Meb is a heel striker in that video. But as he won an Olympic silver and the NYC Marathon, he doesn't appear to be too impeded. :ols:

ok so i am trying to get back into the same shape i was in when i played baseball in high school and could run a 10 minute mile.

i am just starting back out doing walk runs right now. what is the best kind of schedule to go on? right now i generally run tuesday-saturday with sometimes taking saturday off. do i need to do more? i have never run like this before as i was always training for sports by doing sprints and never distance running to try to build endurance. right now i am doing a couple of minutes warm up then i will run about an 1/8th of a mile and then walk for a few more minutes and then go for another 1/8th and then do about a 5 minute cool down. i know that that is pretty lame but i run at a pretty brisk pace and hey you gotta start somewhere right? any tips? best way to get more endurance so i can go farther?

right now i am doing a couple of minutes warm up then i will run about an 1/8th of a mile and then walk for a few more minutes and then go for another 1/8th and then do about a 5 minute cool down. i know that that is pretty lame but i run at a pretty brisk pace and hey you gotta start somewhere right? any tips? best way to get more endurance so i can go farther?

Best way has been mentioned before in here...slow down. Forget the brisk pace, slow your pace, and you will go further. Keep at it and you will notice with time your endurance and pace will increase. Won't happen over night. Just be patient and sloooow doooown.

Best advice I have gotten and can give. Seriously. Trust it.

ok so i am trying to get back into the same shape i was in when i played baseball in high school and could run a 10 minute mile.

i am just starting back out doing walk runs right now. what is the best kind of schedule to go on? right now i generally run tuesday-saturday with sometimes taking saturday off. do i need to do more? i have never run like this before as i was always training for sports by doing sprints and never distance running to try to build endurance. right now i am doing a couple of minutes warm up then i will run about an 1/8th of a mile and then walk for a few more minutes and then go for another 1/8th and then do about a 5 minute cool down. i know that that is pretty lame but i run at a pretty brisk pace and hey you gotta start somewhere right? any tips? best way to get more endurance so i can go farther?

How fast are you running the 1/8 mile? And how long are you walking? It sounds like your total "running distance" is about 1/4 mile. Without knowing your specific situation it is hard to tell if that is right(injury, weight, etc).

The advice to "slow down, run farther" is pretty good advice. The idea is you want to lengthen the time you spend running and shorten the time you spend walking. Try to have at least 20 minutes of your run/walk wedged in between the cool up/down for 30 total minutes.

I am having motivational issues. Been trying to ger back into running for the past month, and have gotten up & done it a couple of times, but haven't stuck to the schedule yet.

Even so, I still managed to bang out a 6:45 mile last week, now trying to stretch out to do 3 miles for a 5k in mid July.

Monday is my target day to start working. I was in terrific shape last year just doing 2 miles a morning on Monday/Wednesday/Friday......

Archived