Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Philosophy

KDawg

If you were running a football team, or even as a fan, what are your philosophies on the game of football? It's a very broad question, and really the answers are limitless. You can talk about anything you want as long as its philosophy based. I don't really intend for this to be a "list what rules you'd put in place" type of thread. I'd rather know how you feel about the way you'd run a program.

Obviously, this goes without saying, but also feel free to comment on others philosophies... But let's try to keep it civil. If you don't agree with something, that's okay, but my goal is to have good conversation in this thread without it turning into chaos :)

I came up with the idea for this as one of the guys who is currently volunteering in our program and going through classes to get coaching certified asked me to write a short, two paragraph "essay" on my football philosophy. He needed to get it from a coach he believed in and it was for a class. It's kind of an interview, without the prodding questions :ols:

I went real simple with it in idea...

I'll start:

My philosophy in football is simple. Outwork and outhustle the other team. With a sound understanding of the tasks we wish to accomplish on the field, meaning assignments, plays, and other strategic components it is possible to overcome anything with the right amount of hard work. Nothing comes easy, in life or football. The harder you push yourself, the better off you’ll be. It’s a game of inches and in order to get that extra inch you have to put the time in. It’s not much different than what people live every day. You may come up an inch short on the football field, or in a real life job interview, but if you can go home and look yourself in the mirror and know that you gave it all that you had, then you’ve done more than plenty of other people on this planet could ever dream. A wise person once told me, “luck is hard work locking heads with opportunity,” and I fully believe that if you create an atmosphere that revolves around discipline, dedication and hard work, you’ll create that “luck” that people seem to crave.

As far as on the field philosophy, that’s also fairly simple. You cater to your player’s strengths. It does me no good to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. If I have a receiving corps that can fly around the field and catch the ball, a decent pass blocking offensive line, and a quarterback that can sling the ball but a total lack of running backs, I’m not going to be a run heavy team. Likewise with a defense. If I have low numbers on the defensive line, I’m not going to run a five-front very often, and maybe not even run a four as my base defense. I’d probably stick to a three. You can’t pigeonhole your team into a scheme that doesn’t fit, and doing so can stunt a programs growth. Use what works, throw out what doesn’t and custom fit your schemes to the players you have each and every year.

Good idea for a thread.

My basic philosophy in all sports I have played and coached at has been that the first building block is we start by focusing on what we can directly control - our effort and preparation. I can live with it if we get beaten by a team who are just more talented but its unaccpetable to be beaten by team who out prepared us or outworked us.

Next step is related. I can live with physical errors to a point (you cant kepp making the same ones though) but I cant live with mental errors. Thats a sign of bad preparation.

Next is you build your system to fit the talent as opposed to asking your talent to fit your system. Over time at NFL or major College level you can recruit/draft players who fit what you want to run - but you have to go with what you have in the present.

Whatever your system though I believe football games are won or lost in the trenches. You need to be good up front on both sides of the ball or its tough to do much on either offense or defense and that would be a point of emphasis.

Good idea for a thread.

My basic philosophy in all sports I have played and coached at has been that the first building block is we start by focusing on what we can directly control - our effort and preparation. I can live with it if we get beaten by a team who are just more talented but its unaccpetable to be beaten by team who out prepared us or outworked us.

Next step is related. I can live with physical errors to a point (you cant kepp making the same ones though) but I cant live with mental errors. Thats a sign of bad preparation.

Next is you build your system to fit the talent as opposed to asking your talent to fit your system. Over time at NFL or major College level you can recruit/draft players who fit what you want to run - but you have to go with what you have in the present.

Whatever your system though I believe football games are won or lost in the trenches. You need to be good up front on both sides of the ball or its tough to do much on either offense or defense and that would be a point of emphasis.

Sounds like our philosophies are, on a whole, very similar to one another.

:cheers:

Re-enforce the positive. Do not dwell on the negative. Everyone to a man is accountable for their own actions and decisions. Learn from failure. Failure is good if you have the right attitude. Lift your teamates up when they are down but do not carry them. Lead by example, not by criticizing others. Talk out problems face to face, not behind the back. Be honest, if you don't know the answer, don't make one up. Always put the team's goals above your personal goals. And lastly, always play with passion.

1. I would have the best cliches. "Defense wins championships." I would say that **** daily. "Sports don't build character, they reveal it." I would have that **** stenciled in the weight room. No one on my team would ever say anything interesting.

2. Drugs. We would have a ****load of them. I'd find out where Mike Webster got all the **** he took before he died, hire that dude, and watch the wins pile up. "If you ain't cheating...you ain't trying." That would be on a throw pillow in my office.

3. Felons. Sign 'im up. I'm not running a mission. Just win, baby. That's another good cliche. I'm good at this.

4. One rule: Be on time. I hate people who are late. The only excuse for tardiness: My starting middle linebacker's orgy ran late.

5. Bounties. Lots of them. I want Tom Brady's knee in formaldyhide in my office.

6. Oh...and how can I forget...we are going to run the wishbone like Barry Switzer did. Why? Because it's badass.

this sums it up...

You fumble the football and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts and then you will run a mile.- Coach Boone

I run 6 plays, split veer, like Novocain. Just give it time, always works. -Coach Boone

What did you say? Blue: I said we need a water break. Boone: You need a water break. Water is for cowards. Water is for washing blood off that uniform and you don't get no blood on my uniform, boy, you must be outside your mind!! We are going to do up-downs until Blue is no longer tired and thirsty.

I will not scratch my head unless it itches, I won't dance unless I hear music, I will not be intimidated! - Coach Boone *

If I were a HC/GM, person in charge of football team, this is what I'd do.

Certainly what KDawg said is a given. Nobody will outwork or outhustle my team

From a more tactical standpoint, I'd model my program after what Frank Beamer and Bobby Bowden did

Dominant special teams. My speacial teams would score points in several different ways, returns and blocks. I'd be known for special teams that change the game

A fast defense. Speed, speed and more speed. This defense would attack and flow to the ball with speed.

The offense would be designed around the run game with the ability to get deep. More of the Ernie Zampeese, Coryell system as opposed to the WCO.

1. Unless I inherit a top-tier QB, my team will be run-first, and that philosophy continues until I find my elite QB. Too many teams suffer by playing a pass-first style with a QB who can't carry the load.

2. I will not hire players about whom I have any character concerns whatsoever. A decent player who's a good guy is preferable to a great player who's a bad guy 100 out of 100 times.

3. Superior work ethic beats superior talent. If my star player isn't putting in the work like his backup is, the backup gets promoted. You get what you earn: playing time, money, etc.

4. I don't trade draft picks for any player over the age of 30. The only possible exception is for an elite quarterback (Manning/Brady/Brees elite, NOT McNabb/Romo sits to pee/Palmer good), because age is less a limiting factor there than at just about any other position (besides maybe kickers).

5. Build the offense from the inside out: linemen/QBs take precedence over backs and receivers. Build the defense from front to back: linemen, corners/linebackers, then safeties, in that order.

If I were a HC/GM, person in charge of football team, this is what I'd do.

Certainly what KDawg said is a given. Nobody will outwork or outhustle my team

From a more tactical standpoint, I'd model my program after what Frank Beamer and Bobby Bowden did

Dominant special teams. My speacial teams would score points in several different ways, returns and blocks. I'd be known for special teams that change the game

A fast defense. Speed, speed and more speed. This defense would attack and flow to the ball with speed.

The offense would be designed around the run game with the ability to get deep. More of the Ernie Zampeese, Coryell system as opposed to the WCO.

I modeled many of my philosophies on the same coaches along with Al Davis, Joe Colombo, and Ghenghis Khan. I think I would hire you as my assistant GM. But you must work within my general organizational values.

1. Teams are built on role players so scout for your scheme. When role players excel in their given role they become stars. And make sure their replacement is already on your squad.

2. Attitude is very important, talent is important but guys have to want to come to work.

3. Make sure you have smart leaders at leadership positions on the field. (QB, MLB, C). Make sure you have selfless guys at selfless positions (OL, DL).

4. Horde draft picks

5. Play fun styles of offense and defense. Players should enjoy playing and not feel handcuffed.

1. Teams are built on role players so scout for your scheme. When role players excel in their given role they become stars. And make sure their replacement is already on your squad.

Your philosophy is: Everyone on my team will be good.

That works. That's a good dating philosophy too.

I feel like Kristin Chenoweth should interrupt this thread with a musical number.

Your philosophy is: Everyone on my team will be good.

That works. That's a good dating philosophy too.

I feel like Kristin Chenoweth should interrupt this thread with a musical number.

Why are you coming in here with this stuff? I don't think I've seen one post in this thread from you that's at all serious.

Come on. I want to know what some of you really would do. I even asked as much in the OP.

Is "don't lose" specific enough?

If it is, then here it goes.

Surround yourself with players who want to win more than want money.

There are a few out there who have this integrity in them, but only a few.

In the game itself, do as Gibbs1 did; go against tendencies in playcalling, especially on 3rd downs; when you are at a disadvantage, use it to your advantage to gain your achievement, don't just run run pass punt all the time, unless you are running against an extremely weak defense, but even then they will figure it out at some point; thats when going against your norm will benefit.

One thing I wished would happen more is having less actual base pay and more incentive performance bonuses; instruct each player to do THEIR job only, and all will be fine, even if it is a non-glamour position, as long as they perform well.

Every matchip can be won on any sunday, its called parody. It depends on the players themselves, and how badly they want to win. If they treated every game like it was the championship game, and kept their cool, it would be alot easier to coach them, as long as they stay out of strip clubs with guns...

Actually, it's called "parity." "Parody" is what LKB is trying to do to this thread.

What I'm doing is more along the lines of schtick. The only person I ever parody is Om.

And the kicker is - my post is about 75 percent accurate. The most inaccurate thing in it is the stuff about the wishbone (though if I ever somehow become a college coach, we would absolutely run the wishbone).

I think you can have all the great governing philosophies you want and you still need to be damn lucky to be really great. There's probably a reason why so many coaches are so successful in one job and suck so hard in the second.

The only way to guarantee being really great at the professional level is to have really really really good talent and then having them all peak at the some time.

And as the Steelers of the 70s, Cowboys of the 90s, and Patriots of the Aughts have shown us....cheating helps.

I think if you want to be a college coach, this stuff probably does matter. Beamer Ball will pretty much guarantee you 9 to 10 wins a game in the ACC. Do that and they will name the stadium after you. You would probably be 4 and 12 with it in the NFL.

So, my philosophy is get Lawrence Taylor and Charles Haley and Mike Webster and John Riggins and Terry Bradshaw and Dexter Manley and every other mentally ill crazy person who ever made 10 pro bowls and let's go to work.

I would probably insist that my QB be a born again Christian though. For obvious reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

o It starts with having a clear vision or an identity on both sides of the ball

This identity will be the basis of everything you do

o the identity should be a blend of the teams talents paired with a scheme that get the most from that talent

o every member of the coaching staff and every player must strive for perfect fundamentals and techniques to have perfect execution

o the team members and staff must develop cohesion they must become a team

Some philosophies that were clearly missing in Gibbs II and Zorn.

- You have to take some deep shots passing to keep the opposing defenses honest. Gibbs was even worse than Zorn on this concept. Having brunell throw out of bounds every missed pass play made me sick.

- You have to take some shots throwing IN THE END ZONE.

• Start in the trenches. A great offensive and defensive line may not win you the Super Bowl, but you can't win without one.
  • Get hard workers. I'd rather have a team of super hard workers with good character and go 0-16 than win it all with a team that makes the jail blazers look like role models.
  • Run trick plays more often. Keep the defense really on their toes. Even if they never work, I want the defense to remember that we may do a double reverse statue of liberty fake punt. I want the Annexation of Puerto Rico in our playbook.
  • Get a reallly, realllllyyy amazing punter. A great kicker and return man would be next, but winning that field position battle is extremely important. And I mean try and get a guy (or two seperate ones if needed) that can kick long and do the coffin corner; or even just put enough loft on the ball to get a special teamer under it within the 5.

1.) I'm not much for high flying offenses. I don't think it's always necessary to put 40 on the board every single Sunday. What's important to me is possession. Don't let the other team have the ball at all. Possession is extremely important.

2.) You've got a fullback. Use him. Pound the line of scrimmage and make those big boys on the defensive line tired. Wear 'em out and when they don't have enough juice left to blitz, start passing. Maybe it's just the Redskins fan in me, but I believe you've got to have a strong power running game with a full back that's not afraid to hurt somebody.

3.) Use and abuse the quarterback. Never make him feel safe. Swarm him and make him jittery. You do that, he'll make bad decisions and you'll open yourself up for turnover possibilities.

4.) Don't be afraid to go for it on fourth and short, especially if you're deep in your opponent's territory. To be great, risks must be made. Most teams are okay with punting or getting the three points. If it's fourth and one and you're inside their 25, you gotta try to move the sticks.

5.) And, of course, everything starts in the trenches. Have a solid offensive line and an aggressive defensive line and you're gonna have a winner, even if your backfield is mediocre.

Out hustle, out work, out suffer and therefore out score every team we play.

Hire the best people, maybe not the most skilled, but the best people. The harder the workers the better for the team.

Study opponents until every nuance is uncovered.

Be unpredictable in scheme, run the same play three times in a row once in awhile.

Pass on 50% of first downs. Throw on third and short 25% of the time.

Have your opponents call you crazy and fear you.

Archived