Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Philosophy

KDawg

Doug williams as a person? amazing.

Doug Williams as a coach? pretty good

Doug Williams as an Exec? solid

Doug Williams as a one game wonder- one of the greatest moments in redskins history.

Doug Williams as a QB career wise? Terrible.

Career NFL statistics as of 1989

Pass attempts 2,507

Pass completions 1,240

Percentage 49.5

TD-INT 100-93

Passing yards 16,998

QB rating 69.4

Run: Run the ball a lot. Low man wins. Create a seam hit it hard.

Pass: alter location of the pocket. Mix it up. Keep 'em honest. Utilize the TE mismatches down the seam and on boot legs.

Defense: Pressure Pressure Pressure.... Play your responsibility...Everyone flys to the football. WRAP UP and Knock their heads off!!!!

Doug Williams as a one game wonder- one of the greatest moments in redskins history.

Pass attempts 2,507

Pass completions 1,240

Percentage 49.5

TD-INT 100-93

Passing yards 16,998

QB rating 69.4

Played for one of the worst teams and took them to the playoffs. Tampa Bay with the ugly uniforms. How did Steve young look playing for the bucks was he a terrible QB to. Poor analysis by you. Look at the facts not just the numbers. Is Williams Young....Probably not but did he suck......No he was pretty good

Pass attempts 2,507

Pass completions 1,240

Percentage 49.5

TD-INT 100-93

Passing yards 16,998

QB rating 69.4

What Doug Williams did was take the Yuckaneers to the playoffs three times, you ask any fan of that team during that time, and they all say the same thing. Why did they not resign Doug Williams? The poor play was blamed on him, yet when he left they got worse.

Besides LeRoy Selmon he was one of the few early bright spots on a franchise with ugly uniforms that matched the play on the field.

Go to a Bucs game now, and you still see the throwbacks of DW. Ask the FEDEX south crew. You may stand sort of behind AH, I will take DW and stand firmly behind him. And let's see it is you and who, uhm D. Hall vs. Me and Joe Gibbs.

As a Redskins QB Doug Williams was 3-0 in the playoffs, sounds like more than a one game wonder. I noticed you did not comment on Gibbs statement, that speaks volumes in itself.

Young was terrible in Tampa and improved in the right system, Doug had what 3 season where he threw more Tds than picks? I love Doug Williams btw I just dont wear burgundy glasses.

You can't wear them if your sitting on them. :cool:

o It starts with having a clear vision or an identity on both sides of the ball

This identity will be the basis of everything you do

o the identity should be a blend of the teams talents paired with a scheme that gets the most from that talent

o every member of the coaching staff and every player must strive for perfect fundamentals and techniques to have perfect execution

o the team members and staff must develop cohesion they must become a team

Whenever possible i would cultivate leaders on both sides of the ball.

QB,MLB,FS,C,RB etc.

The leaders would usually be tenured players with detailed/implicit understanding of the team philosophy and scheme (partly because the scheme would be built around these players) but also because they've demonstrated a genuine concern for the team as whole and of there own volition have taken.

These leaders would have a personal understanding with me/HC and their position coaches.

What Doug Williams did was take the Yuckaneers to the playoffs three times, you ask any fan of that team during that time, and they all say the same thing. Why did they not resign Doug Williams? The poor play was blamed on him, yet when he left they got worse.

Besides LeRoy Selmon he was one of the few early bright spots on a franchise with ugly uniforms that matched the play on the field.

Go to a Bucs game now, and you still see the throwbacks of DW. Ask the FEDEX south crew. You may stand sort of behind AH, I will take DW and stand firmly behind him. And let's see it is you and who, uhm D. Hall vs. Me and Joe Gibbs.

As a Redskins QB Doug Williams was 3-0 in the playoffs, sounds like more than a one game wonder. I noticed you did not comment on Gibbs statement, that speaks volumes in itself.

The Buccs sucked, Williams was decent but nothing special with them, and with us he was only a little better, Patrick Ramsay had a better QB rating ffs. the only reason we won 3 playoff games with Doug was that the TEAM was awesome. Trent Dilfer won lots of playoff games, is your next statement gonna be how awesome HE was?

we should make a thread for this tho.

The Buccs sucked, Williams was decent but nothing special with them, and with us he was only a little better

Its like he's purposefully missing/ignoring your point here.

Doug Williams was an NFL rarity a good QB on a bad team.

Taking that Bucs squad to the playoffs was a great feat, you would think that comparing Doug Williams stint with the Buccs in which they went to playoffs with Steve Youngs 3-16 stint would help most people see your point.

no,he was a decent QB on a subpar team and then he was a decent QB on an excellent team.

Hit me back when Ramsey can say....

In the second quarter alone, Williams had completed 9 of 11 passes for 228 yards and 4 touchdowns; Smith had rushed 5 times for 122 yards and a touchdown; and Sanders had caught 4 passes for 168 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Or anyone else for that matter. All that one day after a six hour stint of oral surgery and hurting his knee in the first quarter. Oh yeah Williams also got the MVP for that SB. No QB has done more in the big game since, black or white. Kinda dings your argument on that front doesn't it?

Game quote from wiki.

The Buccs sucked, Williams was decent but nothing special with them, and with us he was only a little better, Patrick Ramsay had a better QB rating ffs. the only reason we won 3 playoff games with Doug was that the TEAM was awesome. Trent Dilfer won lots of playoff games, is your next statement gonna be how awesome HE was?

we should make a thread for this tho.

The 87 team that Doug took through the playoffs and won the SuperBowl with was NOT awesome.

We had some very good players but some ordinary ones plus some injuries. There were very few games that year apart from the SuperBowl that we dominated.

so a team that only lost 4 games and only one of those 4 games was lost by more than 3 points was not awesome?

Nope. I watched every one of those games and still have them on VHS. We had instability at QB, banged up running backs, ify linebacker and average corners apart from Green. We had a good O line and the posse at receiver plus a good pass rush and run stuffing DLine. It was a streaky team, would look bad for 40 minutes then have a hot 2 or 3 drives.

I do kind of agree with you re Doug at least as a Redskin though. He was good during the regular season and playoffs in 87 had one of the best games in history in the SuperBowl and then tailed off in 88. Overall as a Redskin his record and performance was not that of a great QB. He did though have a great game in the one that really mattered.

but hey I suppose a career QB rating of 69 is good when you look at what weve had around here since Rypien left.

Its called the greatest quarter of football played by a quarterback EVER. even if more was accomplished by a qb in another 15 minutes it wasn't the big dance. Further it wasn't the same circumstances. Doug Williams has earned his place in the Pantheon of football greatness. Especially to Redskins fans. He owns something that elway, Montana, Moon, Staubach, Bradshaw, Sims, Unitas, Tarkenton, Namath, Kelly, all the rest of the Skins greats And everyone I left out never will. And he got It with a 10 point deficit (which was a record at the time) and odds stacked against him.

But yeah, you go ahead and measure the mans success based on stats accumulated mostly in an upstart league and one of the worst franchises of his era. I mean as a Redskins fan that's what I would expect...of you

Nope. I watched every one of those games and still have them on VHS. We had instability at QB, banged up running backs, ify linebacker and average corners apart from Green. We had a good O line and the posse at receiver plus a good pass rush and run stuffing DLine. It was a streaky team, would look bad for 40 minutes then have a hot 2 or 3 drives.

I do kind of agree with you re Doug at least as a Redskin though. He was good during the regular season and playoffs in 87 had one of the best games in history in the SuperBowl and then tailed off in 88. Overall as a Redskin his record and performance was not that of a great QB. He did though have a great game in the one that really mattered.

I dont have all the games on VHS (wish i did tho) but I remember a team that scored when it had to, stopped teams when it had to and had a big play mentality. until schroeder got hurt he looked like he could be the next great skins qb and I agree with some of what you wrote, I never said Doug didnt have an amazing quarter I said that all in all he wasnt anything more than a decent qb for us and a terrible one overall. of course some people would like to say differently.

Not really, I said at the start of this that he had a superlative moment in the superbowl and perhaps one of the greatest in Redskins history, I also said he was at best a decent QB for the rest of his time here and the stats would seem to support my statement.

Was he decent or terrible?

http://redskins.bridgelinesw.net/gen/articles/70_Greatest_Redskins_1373.jsp

Williams is one of seven QB's on the Redskins 70th Greatest players list.

Most valuable player of Super Bowl XXII… Posted a 94.0 quarterback rating in 1987… First African-American quarterback to lead a team to a Super Bowl championship… Proudest accomplishments are winning Super Bowl and becoming a high school and college coach back home in Louisiana… Lists older brother Robert Williams as his greatest inspiration.

The Redskins “gave me an opportunity to see what a franchise is all about and allowed me to start and play at the highest level”… Most admired teammate was Jeff Bostic, “I remember how he fought through adversity.”

Football philosphy 101, I want guys like Doug Williams and not guys like Albert Haynesworth.

Funny how with my Burgundy glasses on I can see guys like Doug, but guys like Haynesworth disappear.

as a Redskin? decent

Overall? terrible

IN your experience have you ever been on a team that completely blew?

Doug Williams took that team to the playoffs three times, ask any Yuck fan they all agree, if not for Williams and LeRoy Selmon that franchise may have never survived in Tampa. And don't get me started on that stadium.

To me, the most important thing in football has been, and always will be, establishing the line of scrimmage. People put a lot of emphasis on complex passing and blitzing schemes; but none of them mean a thing unless your team is able to take control of the line of scrimmage while the game is still competitive.

IN your experience have you ever been on a team that completely blew?

Doug Williams took that team to the playoffs three times, ask any Yuck fan they all agree, if not for Williams and LeRoy Selmon that franchise may have never survived in Tampa. And don't get me started on that stadium.

the Edmonton Icemen circa 1999-2001, however during those years I still won team and league awards and put up stats. I was frustrated and irritable the entire time but I still put up some scary numbers.

I have had this discussion with people in my league, the only time I personally would vote for a player off of a bad team for an award is when they elevate the team, in other words, they not only have to put up big numbers but those numbers have to make a difference. in 1999 I actually voted against myself as we went 0-9 and lost in 2 blow out losses. I led the league in tackles, Tackles for loss and Sacks but FFS my defence was on the field for 75% of the game lol. we scored 3 td'stotal that season. our defence ranked #3 out of 8 teams but our offence was dead last by a long shot.

In 2000 we won 2 games lost 7 but never lost a game by more than 5 points and lost most of the games by a fg or less including a 7-3 loss to the National Champion Wolfpack. I again led the league in almost every stat defensively (had 3 ints lol) but this time I didnt argue when they voted me in for the MVL award, I actually thought I should have won the DMVP as well, but they gave it to a DB who had 6 ints and was second in tackles on a team that won no games and had the worst ranked defence. Our defence ranked #2 that season and we were still ranked 9 out of 9 on O.

in 2001 after I left to start the Stallions I took 3 starters off the Icemen with me and they went 0-10 ,allowed a then league record 455 points against, dropped to 9 out of 9 on defence as well as offence, and would end up folding 2 seasons later after 2 more seasons of the same.

The Team I started (the Stallions) went 4-0 with me there until I left to go to university, after I left they won 2 more games then lost badly to a team that we beat 30-0 in our second game and then lost in the first round of the playoffs.

so long answer? yes I have been on a bad team before.

I like Doug Btw I just think that he was an average at best QB for us who had a great moment and he was not very good in Tampa even if some of that could be blamed on the crapulence of that team. Like Timmy Smith, he had a moment of greatness.

You use Steve Young as an example of a great player on a bad team but he was terrible in Tampa, and then awesome in San fran, Doug was terrible in Tampa and decent in Washington. Doug was simply never anything more than a journeyman who had one sublime moment as a player.

To me, the most important thing in football has been, and always will be, establishing the line of scrimmage. People put a lot of emphasis on complex passing and blitzing schemes; but none of them mean a thing unless your team is able to take control of the line of scrimmage while the game is still competitive.

exactly, nothing means anything if you cant control the LOS

Archived