Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Product Review--Gillette Proglide: Finally, the best razor ever made. 4 stars.

McD5

Well, I tried the ProGlide lastnight and I was disappointed big time. I expected a much better shave and I got just the opposite. It worked okay on my face, but it was horrible on my head. I had to go over spots multiple times.

I had much better results with the Fusion. Maybe it just works differently for everyone, but I had the Schick Hydro 5 in my hand and now regret not trying that instead.

When I try it I'll let you know.

I'm not trying to come in here to bother you guys, but if you're worried about a strip turning white after a few shaves you'll definitely want to try the Hydro. Its hydrating gel reservoirs last 2x longer than normal strips.

To try it out or get more info, I'd suggest "liking" the facebook page or heading over to schickhydro.com for your chance at a free trial. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance. If you all don't want me here though, I'll be sure not to stop in again.

Interesting relevant article:

This time, razor makers are claiming breakthroughs in design. Gillette touts its Fusion ProGlide's ergonomic grips, its ultrafine cutting edge and a "snow-plow guard" that moves around the shaving cream. It goes for $16.99 per four-pack of basic cartridges, about a 15% premium to regular Fusion blades.

A four-pack of blades for Schick's new Hydro—with a hydrating "reservoir"—runs $11.49, about 5% more than Schick's premium Quattro blades.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110050/razor-burn-a-flood-of-fancy-shavers-leaves-some-men-feeling-nicked

So I have tried the ProGlide and the Hydro 5.

ProGlide - Awesomely comfortable shave, the first two shaves. The third and fourth were like any other shave with the fourth bordering on uncomfortable. I'd say the tolerable limit of shaves is roughly 5 shaves which is down almost half from the original Fusion. The strip would be non existant at this point. The cartirdges are super expensive at $17.00 for 4.

Hydro 5 - A little less comfortable than the ProGlide but still better than the original Fusion. Consistant for 5 shaves and has no sign of letting up and the Hydro strip is looking just as strong. I could easily see this thing last just as long as the original fusion if not longer. The cartridges are also a breath of fresh air at around $11 for 4.

For twice the shaves at a $6 discount, I can deal with a consistant better than Fusion just not a comfortable as the ProGlide's first two shaves.

The Hydro 5 wins in my book because it truly is a good shave and is the hands down economical choice.

Its all true though. I remember the first razor I had was a Mach3. It was a good shave, maybe not as good as the ProGlide that I use now, but it got the job done. It sucks that they release something new then jack up the prices. I give it 4 months until there is a new ProGlide out.

I couldn't help but to roll my eyes at this guy comparing putting and shaving in that Yahoo article.

Mr. Crowell attributes his ability to achieve a good shave with a basic blade to his strong putting game. "People who have a good feel for the contours of the putting green don't need a fancy razor," he says. "If you've got some degree of touch and feel, you can follow the topography of your face accurately."

BTW. If you look up reviews on Hydro vs Proglide the Hydro is getting more favorable reviews.

The price on shaving has gotten completely out of control.

I couldn't help but to roll my eyes at this guy comparing putting and shaving in that Yahoo article.

Mr. Crowell attributes his ability to achieve a good shave with a basic blade to his strong putting game. "People who have a good feel for the contours of the putting green don't need a fancy razor," he says. "If you've got some degree of touch and feel, you can follow the topography of your face accurately."

BTW. If you look up reviews on Hydro vs Proglide the Hydro is getting more favorable reviews.

The price on shaving has gotten completely out of control.

Yep. I said a couple of weeks ago in this very thread that the Hydro was a better razor. When you factor in the price, how long they last and the closeness of the shave, the Hydro wins hands down.

I wonder if I could shave like my Dad did with the brush and safety blade again.

I did when I was coming of age, but it would be nice to just have those nostalgic moments to relax and take my time to shave.

All in all it would be cheaper than constantly buying the new style blades. Fortunately, I have an electric that works pretty darn good. It is not AS close as a blade, but does the job and my blades last for months because I only use them once a week.

Time to put a TV in the bathroom, if I want to try out old school methods.

I have had this thing for over 4 weeks now, I went online and ordered the free trial kit. I shave every day except on some Saturdays and I am still on the same blade that it came with the kit. I bought extra's for now but I still get a very close shave with the original blade! That is 1 month on one blade alone so I will say this is a great product!

I picked up a ProGlide about a week ago. I am not that impressed with it. It shaves nicely, but doesn't seem much better than my old Fusion did. I also mentioned earlier that the last few batches of Fusion blades I bought before trying the ProGlide had their gel strip wear out WAY quicker than they used to. Like in half the time.

Not sure if they changed them to make people want to try the new blade. The new ones on the ProGlide didn't last too much longer. Kind of disappointed with it, especially given the price hike. I may try the Schick mentioned earlier.

Or maybe go back to an electric. I had a good panasonic back in the day. I shave my face and head every day, in the shower, so it needs to be water proof, any suggestions?

I got a Hydro5 as a promo item in an order of patch cords from Musiciansfriend.

I've been using a Mach3 forever, and never felt the need to increase the number of blades. I always figured it was a gimmick, and probably overkill given that I have stubble within 20 minutes of a clean shave anyway.

The first shave was nothing special and I was ready to switch back right then. But subsequent shaves have gotten much better. Maybe it's a matter of not having so much to hack off each day as I used to - I don't know.

But I'm actually able to get all the whiskers off without razor burn or cuts, which I've never really been able to do with any other blade.

I haven't tried the Hydro and I won't.

At this point, I'm afraid it may be sayonara to my trusty old Mach3 handle - it's been a great 11 years old buddy.

I feel like James Bond everytime I shave with this razor.

The first blade lasted nearly a month, better than anything I have ever used.

I finally tried this out this week. Its a little bit better shave than the Fusion. But the Fusion blades were already expensive enough. Not sure if im ready to fork over the extra few dollars for the newer razors. Its ridiculous how much razors cost. And its even more for me, because I can only get about a week, max, out of each blade. Not sure how some of you use the same blade for weeks, or even months. That's nuts. If an electric shaved close enough, I'd just use one of those every day. But as we all know, they don't.

I finally tried this out this week. Its a little bit better shave than the Fusion. But the Fusion blades were already expensive enough. Not sure if im ready to fork over the extra few dollars for the newer razors. Its ridiculous how much razors cost. And its even more for me, because I can only get about a week, max, out of each blade. Not sure how some of you use the same blade for weeks, or even months. That's nuts. If an electric shaved close enough, I'd just use one of those every day. But as we all know, they don't.

Yeah I don't see how one blade can last a month. I have had the new Glide for a bit over a week, trying to use the one blade as long as I can. The Gel is already gone from the strip, and the strip itself is breaking up.

I do shave my head and face daily, but my old Fusion lasted as long, and until recently lasted even longer. Not sure it is worth the extra $.

The Panasonic Electric I had years ago in College, may not have been as close, but it was a good enough shave, especially shaving daily.

Razors are just too expensive. I may seriously look into an electric again.

Archived