Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Product Review--Gillette Proglide: Finally, the best razor ever made. 4 stars.

McD5

Over the years, I have used probably every razor out there. For the last few years, I always found the Gillette Mach 3 to be the best. I tried many, but always came back to that.

Better than the Quatro.....and better than the Gillette Fusion 5 in recent years.

Oh no more. I recently went to Sam's club to buy my blades in bulk for my Mach 3. I noticed a new razor out, from the same maker. It claimed that if it wasn't the best shave you have ever had, they will refund your money. With nothing to lose, I gave it a shot.

And oh my, what a great decision that was.

Words cannot express how good this razor is. As much as I love my Mach 3, I couldn't possibly shave with it again. Like the Fusion, this has 5 blades and is powered by a battery. But it's a night and day difference from it's earlier product.

There is not tugging or pain. The blades are even thinner, so you don't feel like Freddie Kruger. And there is a new feature on there, that directs any stubble right to the blades.

The result is the best shave ever, and I don't need to go over any area twice. Not even my neck.

For those looking for a great product, I recommend giving this a try.

http://www.gillette.com/erresourcesite/products.aspx?tcid=187

I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the tip.

No problem, happy to help.

You should be able to find a package that includes the razor, and 5 cartridges.

Total cost was $27.

If it isn't "the best shave you have ever had." you can return the unused portion for a full refund. So....nothing to lose.

I wanted to use if for a few weeks to be 100% sure that I loved it as much as I did the very first time.

I won't be sending it back.

Over the years, I have used probably every razor out there. For the last few years, I always found the Gillette Mach 3 to be the best. I tried many, but always came back to that.

Better than the Quatro.....and better than the Gillette Fusion 5 in recent years.

These razors always make me think about an SNL parody commercial that ran in the early days of the show (1975 and 1976) where they parodied the "recent" marketing of double-bladed razors by doing a commercial of a triple bladed one, the Triple-trac:

Triple-Trac.jpg

Of course, as evidenced by your post, they're up to 5 bladed razors, so SNL had to update their parody with the Platinum Mach 14:

Platinum%20Mach%2014.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/****-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

You are going to have to add the F word to the address to get it there.

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the ****ing vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the ****s went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our ****s in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, **** it. We're going to five blades.

Sure, we could go to four blades next, like the competition. That seems like the logical thing to do. After all, three worked out pretty well, and four is the next number after three. So let's play it safe. Let's make a thicker aloe strip and call it the Mach3SuperTurbo. Why innovate when we can follow? Oh, I know why: Because we're a business, that's why!

Two things that are a constant in life: 1) The Redskins winning the off-season, 2) Somone trying to convince you that you need to buy a new-and-improved, fancy-schmancy, ground-breaking super razor and all the expensive blades that come with it.

Or you could go with the Mach 20:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbT3JARkluk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbT3JARkluk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Do you own some P&G stock that's not performing well?

Yes. And the 20 purchases should send earnings flying.:silly:

The only stock I hold is IMYN. And it's speculative.

You couldn't pay me to own anything else right now.

Yes. And the 20 purchases should send earnings flying.:silly:

The only stock I hold is IMYN. And it's speculative.

You couldn't pay me to own anything else right now.

:ols:

I might give this razor a try next time I'm out for cartridges - considering a pack of cartridges is usually the same price as a new razor with almost as many razors included.

if it has that extra blade on the back of it's five blades, then forget it. that is dangerous.

It has the extra razor, thinner than before, and at a better angle.

It allows you to get hairs right under your nose, easier than before.

So...what was the cost? Or do I have to use the internets to find out?

In my area, (Florida), they were doing a special promotion as listed in the OP.

It was the new razor itself, and 5 blades for $27.

They invite you to try a few blades for free for a couple of weeks, and if you don't love it, to return the entire thing for a refund.

Not sure in your area, but I imagine you could find that same deal on the internet.

I've tried it too. Same as McD5, former MachIII user.

I got a free ProGlide Fusion about 2 weeks ago through a special trial (free to first 1000) through ProFootballTalk. See, they're good for something besides rumors and slamming the Skins.

Didn't expect much, but it is pretty good. Only got 1 blade with it so I'm going to have probably get a mortgage for replacement blades.

Pros:

- about an inch longer than MachIII, slightly better reach.

- good weight, lots of grippy pads to hold it well.

- battery has a light-up blue button, that is supposed to auto-shutoff at 8 mins.

- incredible shave, but I am still careful on the upstroke (against the grain) so I don't slice my cheek off.

- has the single-blade trimmer on the back

Cons:

- circumference of the shaft doesn't fit in my old razor hook, in the shower.

- I don't use the "power" option, seems harder to steer and it's a bit disconcerting. It seems like overkill to me, works great without power.

- The glide strips look like they're going to show wear pretty quickly when wet, keep out of direct path of water (as in the shower), or the strip will not have it's full life.

- The trim blade on the back works, but still doesn't get in the close spots. There's about 1/8" lost on each side to encase the blade, so you lose the ability to edge real well (i.e., tight spots, ear hair, etc.).

Because of that, I still keep an old Sensor (two blades) nearby for the better trimming option. Since that doesn't get much use, the blade lasts a long time.

- Expected sticker shock on the replacement blades. It'll have to be more than MachIII or Fusion blades, and they're what, about $3-4 per refill?

Overall, if you get a good deal on the razor and shop the refills on sale, you will probably like this razor. I saw BJ's had a $5 instant rebate on theirs, and since it's just debuting, you're probably never going to find the razor cheaper than now.

After all, Gillette's goal is to hook you on another, better product. One with higher price points on the replacement blades.

Enjoy it you get it.

I love my fusion, non-powered. I shave my face and head every morning in the shower and I haven't had a better one. Had the Mach3 before that and it was nice, but to me the Fusion was smoother on my noggin and did the shaving quicker.

I will try out this one perhaps, but not sure about how much these refills will cost. The Fusion is bad enough.

In my area, (Florida), they were doing a special promotion as listed in the OP.

It was the new razor itself, and 5 blades for $27.

They invite you to try a few blades for free for a couple of weeks, and if you don't love it, to return the entire thing for a refund.

Not sure in your area, but I imagine you could find that same deal on the internet.

Jesus:mad: I bet the thing costs penny's to make...

I love my fusion, non-powered. I shave my face and head every morning in the shower and I haven't had a better one. Had the Mach3 before that and it was nice, but to me the Fusion was smoother on my noggin and did the shaving quicker.

I will try out this one perhaps, but not sure about how much these refills will cost. The Fusion is bad enough.

They are discontinuing the Fusion.

You will like this new one 5x better than that, seriously.

The Fusion was a little harsh--it hurt compared to this. Also, this razor shaves much closer. So you may not have to shave as often.

Like the Fusion, this also has 5 blades. But the blades are much thinner, and cut better.

Also, there is a new strip on this one that will direct the hair to the blades. It makes a big difference.

If you can find one like I did--absolutely free if you don't love it, I would be all over it.

If not, I also just read where they are cheap at Walmart.

I am also reading where they don't expect the blades to cost much more, if anymore, than the regular Fusion blades. The regular Fusion had a 45% share of the entire market. That's enormous. You don't mess with a razor that holds a 45% share, unless you are extremely confident about the new version.

I really believe they made this new razor not just to jack profits, but rather in response to a few complaints about the Fusion. Also, if the blades are thinner, they may not cost as much to produce. They might be able to increase their margins a little bit there without raising prices.

Thinner blades probably equates to less times you can use each blade. I love my Fusion. But the cost of the replacement blades is highway robbery. However, if they're discontinuing the Fusion as you say, then I will have no choice but to go with the Pro Glide.

It has the extra razor, thinner than before, and at a better angle.

It allows you to get hairs right under your nose, easier than before.

has the single-blade trimmer on the back

i'll pass. that extra blade on the back is dangerous - especially when you are shaving near the earlobes.

Archived