Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Nationals' progress is making struggling Orioles easy to forget

Mooney

True. If it were up to me I would change up the alignment to create regional rivals in every divsion......CHI/CHI, NY/NY, OAK/SF, LAA/LAD, WSH/BALT...etc.

The current AL/NL would be an afterthought though. I just dont think it will happen ever, or anytime soon i should say.

Fancy, I agree. The problem is there are TONS of people who are "hybrids" that like to see both do well or "Casual" who really just casually root for both teams. Its tough to have a rivalry when you have a large portion of people that like both.

Baseball higher ups have actually already discussed this. It may not be "right around the corner" exactly, but it is definitely on the table.

Thats why I warn O's fans to be careful who they root for, because they may end up sleeping with the enemy. I'll gladly be one of the pioneering members of the DC O's fan/Nats hater movement, which is almost an inevitability. There's already plenty of Nats fans that hate the O's. A little more balance is in order, IMO.

EDIT: however, the main thing is that both teams need to be good. One day, maybe.

Baseball higher ups have actually already discussed this. It may not be "right around the corner" exactly, but it is definitely on the table.

Thats why I warn O's fans to be careful who they root for, because they may end up sleeping with the enemy. I'll gladly be one of the pioneering members of the DC O's fan/Nats hater movement, which is almost an inevitability.

Well regardless warning O's fans or whatever......we play the O's as it is now. I know its only 6 times a year vs. 18 but still we play head to head.

It will be hater movement vs. bandwagoner movement at this rate......Im already loving it! :)

True. If it were up to me I would change up the alignment to create regional rivals in every divsion......CHI/CHI, NY/NY, OAK/SF, LAA/LAD, WSH/BALT...etc.

The current AL/NL would be an afterthought though. I just dont think it will happen ever, or anytime soon i should say.

Fancy, I agree. The problem is there are TONS of people who are "hybrids" that like to see both do well or "Casual" who really just casually root for both teams. Its tough to have a rivalry when you have a large portion of people that like both.

Current AL/NL wouldn't be a afterthought until you figure out what to do with the DH. growing up watching the O's, I never realized how much strategy and planning there is in the NL.

Peter Angelos single-handedly turned me against the O's. I rooted for them as a kid. I still would have taken up the Nats as my #1 team the moment they came to DC - I'm a hometown guy first and foremost - but I would have remained an O's fan, too. But not with that son of a ***** standing in the way of my city getting a team for years, then only budging when granted a giant contractual middle finger towards DC in the form of the TV rights deal.

Snyder looks like Ted Leonsis when compared to Angelos. I dearly, dearly wish that, one day, I'll see that man driven out of Baltimore by fans who can't take it anymore.

Are you a Washingtonian first or an O's fan first? To me, a Washingtonian rooting for the O's is a step above a "lifelong" Cowboys fan from Leesburg or a Lakers/Celtics fan from Arlington (or wherever).

And I love how O's fans have stopped talking **** and "don't have anything against the Nats." hahaha. But for real, I used to hate you all. Now I just feel sad for you. Most of you will jump on the bandwagon soon enough. It'll be just like people figuring out what the hell a puck is when the Caps won the President's Cup. Nats will be battling for a pennant, in the playoffs, in the World Series, the town will get hyped and all the O's "fans" will make the jump. And if not, whatever. Enjoy finishing 3rd or worst in the AL East for the next 30 years.

Are you a Washingtonian first or an O's fan first? To me, a Washingtonian rooting for the O's is a step above a "lifelong" Cowboys fan from Leesburg or a Lakers/Celtics fan from Arlington (or wherever).

And I love how O's fans have stopped talking **** and "don't have anything against the Nats." hahaha. But for real, I used to hate you all. Now I just feel sad for you. Most of you will jump on the bandwagon soon enough. It'll be just like people figuring out what the hell a puck is when the Caps won the President's Cup. Nats will be battling for a pennant, in the playoffs, in the World Series, the town will get hyped and all the O's "fans" will make the jump. And if not, whatever. Enjoy finishing 3rd or worst in the AL East for the next 30 years.

What if you're not a Washingtonian? Then who do you root for? I see you're from the DMV? Are you a Marylander, Virginian, or Washingtonian? Can't be all three.

And the Nats still have a ways to go before their holding up a WS trophy. I think the Phillies, Braves, Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, Reds, and Giants might have something to say about that.

too much anger.

A lot of DC baseball fans went up to Baltimore because they liked Baseball and the great environment the O's had (Especially when Camden Yards opened and was new).

I feel no ill will towards the O's and their fans. I actually wish them well in their Conference/Division........right as soon an Angelos is gone.

But the Nats, I liked getting in on the ground floor, and watching the Organization tear down and rebuild everything...including their mistakes and bumps.

Who's stopped talking ****?

And people wonder why I hate the Nats. Take your "bandwagoners," you're obviously going to need them.

I have issues with this entire post.

1) I grew up my whole life in Northern VA. I followed local teams. I don't see why being proud of where you're from and following your childhood teams is mutually exclusive. So, I don't consider myself a Washingtonian before an O's fan or vice versa. If there are lifelong Cowboy or Laker fans in the DC area, who cares? As long as they aren't Cowboy fans one year and Patriot fans the next, good for them. They have picked and stuck with a team. Let's not act like any Oriole fan is a bandwagon fan...if that were the case, we'd be Yankee or Red Sox fans.

2) Don't be so confident that the loyal Oriole fans are going to jump ship. I've never had anything against the Nats. I basically don't really care about them. I don't root against them the way I don't root against the Houston Astros...because there is no point in doing so. I think it's cool that the Nats are playing well. I am allowed to enjoy that it's happening without claiming I'm a fan or enjoying it on the same level I would Oriole success.

3) Your point about the Caps is idiotic too. It's not like a bunch of DC-area Penguins fans became Caps fans. A bunch of casual hockey fans took a larger interest in the local team when it finally started playing well. Welcome to the real world...that will happen in any city and with every sport. Personally, I never really took an interest because I can't get into hockey, so no worries there...I didn't adopt your team. You still win Mr. DC Hockey Cool Guy points. I hope you wear your Bondra or Druce jersey with pride, big guy.

4) Back to the O's...if you love your Nats so much then why do you care about the plight of the O's in the AL East? Just be happy with your team and enjoy it. Gloating about a team that hasn't done a thing yet is a little petty and presumptuous at this point.

Get off your high horse. You're a fan of a last-place team in a different division. Congrats.

Well said td_washington redskins! You can tell people are reaching when they are comparing DC Oriole fans to DC Cowboy fans. Most DC Oriole fans root for the O's because there wasn't another team around here but the Orioles before 2005. Rooting for a team half way across the country and rooting for a team that's an hour away (and has done nothing the last 12 years) are completley different. But the Nats fans need something to keep them happy, so whatever. You still haven't won anything and are still in last place. So until you win something, you're not any different than the Orioles.

I don't agree that baseball fans closer to DC being into the O's is the same as being into Dallas or Philly or whoever. It was regional for them, the closest Baseball team around.

My folks were already in this area when the Senators had their final years in D.C.. My stepdad still has old Sens gear but was into the O's (and still is to some amount), but was really happen when D.C. got baseball back.

This isn't Yanks/Mets, Giants/A's, Dodgers/Angels.

Maybe it will be. But....Meh.

I don't agree that baseball fans closer to DC being into the O's is the same as being into Dallas or Philly or whoever. It was regional for them, the closest Baseball team around.

My folks were already in this area when the Senators had their final years in D.C.. My stepdad still has old Sens gear but was into the O's (and still is to some amount), but was really happen when D.C. got baseball back.

This isn't Yanks/Mets, Giants/A's, Dodgers/Angels.

Maybe it will be. But....Meh.

I agree, there isn't a rivalry yet. Too many people root for both teams or are indifferent about both teams. You don't see that in NY, Chicago, LA, etc. Plus, the Nats have only been around 5 years, so its still early. Maybe if both teams can start winning then there could be a rivalry. But right now, its just fans talking **** to each other about which team sucks less.

What if you're not a Washingtonian? Then who do you root for? I see you're from the DMV? Are you a Marylander, Virginian, or Washingtonian? Can't be all three.

And the Nats still have a ways to go before their holding up a WS trophy. I think the Phillies, Braves, Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, Reds, and Giants might have something to say about that.

You can

I don't root against teams in DMV area unless they play each other. Support DC teams, support MD teams as MD resident, and support Vt as alumnus

I support this region, and every team is like family, so MD vs VT is like brother vs brother, Ravens vs. Redskins is like a family meeting against your little brother up north (and little brother always wins :mad:) etc

If MD and Georgetown actually played in basketball I would support MD but I keep an eye on Georgetown nonetheless.

We are all family in this region

....just saw the Nats lose again to the worse team in the NL.

The overwhelming majority of Nationals fans are Redskin fans.

The overwhelming majority of Orioles fans are Raven fans.

So when you root against the Nationals, and celebrate their losses, you are rooting against your fellow Redskin fans team.

When the Nationals play the Orioles, and you root against the Nationals, you are siding with Raven fans against your fellow Redskin fans.

So when you root against the Nationals, and celebrate their losses, you are rooting against your fellow Redskin fans team.

When the Nationals play the Orioles, and you root against the Nationals, you are siding with Raven fans against your fellow Redskin fans.

So riddle me this...why is there a Baltimore Baseball section on a Washington Redskins Messageboard?

You can

I don't root against teams in DMV area unless they play each other. Support DC teams, support MD teams as MD resident, and support Vt as alumnus

I support this region, and every team is like family, so MD vs VT is like brother vs brother, Ravens vs. Redskins is like a family meeting against your little brother up north (and little brother always wins :mad:) etc

If MD and Georgetown actually played in basketball I would support MD but I keep an eye on Georgetown nonetheless.

We are all family in this region

Well try telling that to some of the others on this board. They don't quite understand that.

Interesting logic, coming from a Skins' fan on the "Eastern Shore." Now, I haven't lived in Maryland in 2 years, so my geography may be a bit faulty, but isn' there quite a large city and maybe a major NFL team based in said city that lies between the Eastern Shore and Washington? My memory is a tad hazy, but I think it might begin with a "B"?

Interesting logic, coming from a Skins' fan on the "Eastern Shore." Now, I haven't lived in Maryland in 2 years, so my geography may be a bit faulty, but isn' there quite a large city and maybe a major NFL team based in said city that lies between the Eastern Shore and Washington? My memory is a tad hazy, but I think it might begin with a "B"?

Born in Cheverly....3rd generation Washington Football and Baseball fan. My sons are 4th generation Washington Football and Baseball fans.

Try again....with something better.

Try again....with something better.

You realize when you cheer for the Redskins your siding with Orioles fans right? How do you sleep at night? You can't team up with the enemy! There are huge amounts of O's/Skins fan so I just don't see how that logic makes any sense.

Baltimore is not between the eastern shore and DC. unless you meant the state of Washington.

Archived