Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Nationals' progress is making struggling Orioles easy to forget

Mooney

People like Jonas are the reason why I continually gain more of a distaste for the Orioles. Its fan's like him that believe they are better than other fans because they "managed" to stay an orioles fan. I am a diehard WASHINGTON D.C. SPORTS fan. I follow and attend games of EVERY D.C. sports team (excluding Mystics, dont follow womens sports). Is a person who has an allegance to a city and roots for all of its teams not supposed to support the new team in town too? Even if they casually follow another team two hours away?

That is just plain stupid. Have fun sitting on your imanginary pedistool.

That's so simplistic and incorrect. Really? That's your analogy?

Haha don't worry when Mooney can't think of anything he always tries to say that anyone that likes the Orioles are Ravens fans. Apparently we can't root for the Redskins and O's. And all the people that still do or ever did are just plain idiots.

I stand corrected

However you said it was due to Davey Johnson demanding a contract Extension. Which was not the case. He was going to get fired.

He did demand a contract earlier in the year. Angelos was basically looking to get rid of him, which is why he dug up reasons (like when Johnson fined Alomar and then donated the money to his wife's charity, and there was something about some comment Johnson made about winning the World Series) to chastize him. In the end, though, Johnson wanted a job for 1998 and Angelos wanted him gone. Johnson did resign, though.

Washington, Washington, Washington, Baltimore and Boston, Boston, Boston, New York.

Looks like I'm gonna be the only one to agree with ya here, Mooney. :D

Why do people feel the need to combine the two cities? Washington has its own traditions and culture and Baltimore has its. Furthermore, Washington and Baltimore have a long standing rivalry.

So, yes...I think the comparison is valid.

Looks like I'm gonna be the only one to agree with ya here, Mooney. :D

Why do people feel the need to combine the two cities? Washington has its own traditions and culture and Baltimore has its. Furthermore, Washington and Baltimore have a long standing rivalry.

So, yes...I think the comparison is valid.

Lol what rivalry? I've lived around DC and around Baltimore. This is the first time I've ever heard of the two cities not liking each other. Most people that lived in DC were O's fans until the Nats came along. Most people that lived in MD were Redskin fans until the Ravens came along. Not sure where all the hatred comes from.

People like Jonas are the reason why I continually gain more of a distaste for the Orioles. Its fan's like him that believe they are better than other fans because they "managed" to stay an orioles fan. I am a diehard WASHINGTON D.C. SPORTS fan. I follow and attend games of EVERY D.C. sports team (excluding Mystics, dont follow womens sports). Is a person who has an allegance to a city and roots for all of its teams not supposed to support the new team in town too? Even if they casually follow another team two hours away?

That is just plain stupid. Have fun sitting on your imanginary pedistool.

I'm not telling anyone to NOT support the Nats.

I'm just saying if you were an Orioles fan, and now you are not, then you are either a bad fan who quit on his team (and clearly has the capacity to do it again with another team), or you weren't really a fan to begin with. Pretty simple.

Because Boston and New York have always been around. Washington baseball wasn't.

Doesn't make the analogy incorrect. Really.

And the Nationals were originally founded in 1905. Washington baseball has been around for over 100 years. Baltimore obstructionists helped keep the city from having a team for 33 years.

And the Nationals were originally founded in 1905. Washington baseball has been around for over 100 years. Baltimore obstructionists helped keep the city from having a team for 33 years.

Try 1891

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WAS/

Washington was once a baseball town. Not only were they the only show in town, but they were beloved (despite their losing way).

I suppose the obstructionists got the team kicked out in 1971? And 1960? And 1899?

Lol what rivalry? I've lived around DC and around Baltimore. This is the first time I've ever heard of the two cities not liking each other. Most people that lived in DC were O's fans until the Nats came along. Most people that lived in MD were Redskin fans until the Ravens came along. Not sure where all the hatred comes from.

I dont care who people root for so long as they stick to one team. I tell my Dallass fan friend that I respect him because he is a diehard Dallasss fan regardless how the team does. Anyone that is passionate about their team I can respect, even if its a team I despise.

You know damm well why people dislike the ORIOLES around here.

As for the Ravens....DC people dont have any real reason to HATE them although I do just because I do not want to see a team with close proximity succeed unless its my team.

If the Ravens got up and moved to LA then I wouldnt care one bit about them whatsoever.

He did demand a contract earlier in the year. Angelos was basically looking to get rid of him, which is why he dug up reasons (like when Johnson fined Alomar and then donated the money to his wife's charity, and there was something about some comment Johnson made about winning the World Series) to chastize him. In the end, though, Johnson wanted a job for 1998 and Angelos wanted him gone. Johnson did resign, though.

I still stand by my opinion. Angelos pushed the best manager he ever had out the door, and the O's have been paying the price since then. He pretty much killed any goodwill he earned during the strike.

The irony is that Johnson now works for the Nats.

I dont care who people root for so long as they stick to one team. I tell my Dallass fan friend that I respect him because he is a diehard Dallasss fan regardless how the team does. Anyone that is passionate about their team I can respect, even if its a team I despise.

You know damm well why people dislike the ORIOLES around here.

As for the Ravens....DC people dont have any real reason to HATE them although I do just because I do not want to see a team with close proximity succeed unless its my team.

If the Ravens got up and moved to LA then I wouldnt care one bit about them whatsoever.

Ok so DC people don't like the Orioles, but I think its more Angelos than the Orioles. But that doesn't mean the cities don't like one another. I've never heard that before. I don't think people consider the O's and Nats rivals. They play 6 times a year, I would hardly call them rivals. Maybe if they played in the same league or division they could be rivals, but their games don't really even impact the standings. Just like I don't consider the Ravens rvials to the Skins. We play once every 4 years, how can you have a rivalry.

I suppose the obstructionists got the team kicked out in 1971? And 1960? And 1899?

It's not that they kicked them out; but that they kept them out for 33 years when D.C. had baseball for over 80 years prior to the Senators leaving for Texas. (By the way, is it weird to anyone else when the Twins and Rangers play each other. Maybe I'm just a Washington Sports nerd like that. :D)

Those teams left/folded for a number of reasons; but I think we all know why baseball was kept out of Washington for so long.

I think true loyal Oriole fans from the DC metro area will keep their allegiance, I know I will. The main thing is that newer fans in DC and younger fans too growing up will now have the majority of their exposure and attention focused on the Nationals.

I mean, I'm from DC but will always remain a hardcore Orioles fan. So there, I am evidence to the contrary.

Fire Dave Trembley by the way. This season is a disaster. My biggest disappointment is Bergesen(I thought the kid was gonna be an ace, his injuries have been so unfortunate) and Adam Jones(huge step back, his eye at the plate must improve).

Ok so DC people don't like the Orioles, but I think its more Angelos than the Orioles. But that doesn't mean the cities don't like one another. I've never heard that before. I don't think people consider the O's and Nats rivals. They play 6 times a year, I would hardly call them rivals. Maybe if they played in the same league or division they could be rivals, but their games don't really even impact the standings. Just like I don't consider the Ravens rvials to the Skins. We play once every 4 years, how can you have a rivalry.

Its the bad taste that leads people to root against the Orioles that are Nats fans....i mean i know the players didnt have anything to do with any of the drama. But Angelos doesnt put on a jersey, we cant boo him or root for him to fail - so we have no other choice....its become ingrained in me. Its the entire entity that is rooted against. The second I heard on the radio one day while driving home from work that Angelos said "THERE ARE NO BASEBALL FANS IN DC" yaddayadda....I was anti-oriole and despised the man. As a born/raised DC boy he crapped on my city and I took it personal, shame on me if im wrong but oh well.

Small background on me....born and raised in DC and lived there my whole life (still own property and parents still live there)...just moved to VA a couple years ago. As a diehard sportsfan I always wished DC had a team and probably some anger built up due to jealousy...so be it, dont have a problem admitting it.

Additionally, i just dont like to get forcefed something from Bmore. I dont live in Bmore and I never have. I sit and watch a Nats game and MASN shoves Orioles stuff down my throat for 3 hrs (marketing etc..) and my sportstalk 980 radio shoves Os broadcasts down my throat. I look in the papers...Orioles write ups...its just everywhere and it has been for a long time. You just have to know where I/We are coming from. Some people say im too pro-DC....and im fine with that label.

I respect your love for them and Doylers and the others, you guys are passionate which is great. I just dislike the ORIOLES. I dont have any disdain for the actual city itself, I enjoy the inner harbor and all that.

There isnt much of a rivalry but you think there should be...I mean you have one owner who doesnt want the other team to exist and has its balls, i mean tv rights in his fist. Dont you think that is big enough reason for some sort of rivalry to develop? It will take a brawl, some drama, some players switching teams maybe...some bad blood and then a rivalry would develop.

Its the bad taste that leads people to root against the Orioles that are Nats fans....i mean i know the players didnt have anything to do with any of the drama. But Angelos doesnt put on a jersey, we cant boo him or root for him to fail - so we have no other choice....its become ingrained in me. Its the entire entity that is rooted against. The second I heard on the radio one day while driving home from work that Angelos said "THERE ARE NO BASEBALL FANS IN DC" yaddayadda....I was anti-oriole and despised the man. As a born/raised DC boy he crapped on my city and I took it personal, shame on me if im wrong but oh well.

Additionally, i just dont like to get forcefed something from Bmore. I dont live in Bmore and I never have. I sit and watch a Nats game and MASN shoves Orioles stuff down my throat for 3 hrs (marketing etc..) and my sportstalk 980 radio shoves Os broadcasts down my throat. I look in the papers...Orioles write ups...its just everywhere and it has been for a long time. You just have to know where I/We are coming from. Some people say im too pro-DC....and im fine with that label.

I respect your love for them and Doylers and the others, you guys are passionate which is great. I just dislike the ORIOLES. I dont have any disdain for the actual city itself, I enjoy the inner harbor and all that.

There isnt much of a rivalry but you think there should be...I mean you have one owner who doesnt want the other team to exist and has its balls, i mean tv rights in his fist. Dont you think that is big enough reason for some sort of rivalry to develop? It will take a brawl, some drama, some players switching teams maybe...some bad blood and then a rivalry would develop.

:point2sky What he said.

I have no problem that you're a Nats fan, I don't personally dislike the Nats, I guess that's why I have a problem seeing a rivalry. I think there are alot of fans that cheer for both teams. I'm O's fan first, but I don't root against the Nats unless they are playing the O's.

I was born in raised in PG/St. Mary's County. When I was growing up, the only teams I knew were the Redskins and O's. There were no Nats or Ravens. I understand the people that were Senator fans who went back to rooting for the Nats when they came here. Same with Colt fans that are now Raven fans. So I understand why you root for the Nats and more power to you. Its not like either of our teams have had much to cheer for over the years.

I just don't think there will be a rivalry because so many people are fans of both teams. Would it be cool? Sure, but for now the teams don't play each other enough and aren't even in the same leagues/conferences to have a true rivalry like Boston/New York. Maybe if we meet in the WS a few times that will change!

I'm fine with Nats fans hating the Orioles. The feeling is becoming mutual.

Cannot wait until we are in the same division. Thats how you create a real rivalry.

True. If it were up to me I would change up the alignment to create regional rivals in every divsion......CHI/CHI, NY/NY, OAK/SF, LAA/LAD, WSH/BALT...etc.

The current AL/NL would be an afterthought though. I just dont think it will happen ever, or anytime soon i should say.

Fancy, I agree. The problem is there are TONS of people who are "hybrids" that like to see both do well or "Casual" who really just casually root for both teams. Its tough to have a rivalry when you have a large portion of people that like both.

Archived