Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Distrusting authority

thebluefood

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For as long as there have been young people, the paranoid, and the generally discontent, there's been no shortage of distrust for those in authority; whether they're politicians, parents, or priests.

Every generation is remember for some variety of rebellion, at least since the 20th Century. The most famous of which will probably be the baby boomers and the anti-war movement of the 1960's. My question is this: is it healthy, or even necessary to have a distrust of authority?

Like everything, it has its plusses and minuses. Americans have an inherent distrust of authority and government that has helped us in a lot of ways but has also hurt us.

And further into the 21st Century it will probably hurt us even more in the global economy. Other nations will band together behind a centralized authority while we squabble and bicker amongst ourselves and subsequently will wonder how we've become the third most powerful country by the end of the century.

For as long as there have been young people, the paranoid, and the generally discontent, there's been no shortage of distrust for those in authority; whether they're politicians, parents, or priests.

Every generation is remember for some variety of rebellion, at least since the 20th Century. The most famous of which will probably be the baby boomers and the anti-war movement of the 1960's. My question is this: is it healthy, or even necessary to have a distrust of authority?

It is absolutely necessary be skeptical and to question authority.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

-John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, 1887

Like everything, it has its plusses and minuses. Americans have an inherent distrust of authority and government that has helped us in a lot of ways but has also hurt us.

And further into the 21st Century it will probably hurt us even more in the global economy. Other nations will band together behind a centralized authority while we squabble and bicker amongst ourselves and subsequently will wonder how we've become the third most powerful country by the end of the century.

The "Global Economy" is one of the main illustrations of why you should distrust "authority". Case in point, the American people were never consulted on our entry into it and we certainly did not vote on giving up our sovereignty.

Somehow, our elected REPRESENTATIVES have become "Authorities". Which is the crux of the problem.

The "Global Economy" is one of the main illustrations of why you should distrust "authority". Case in point, the American people were never consulted on our entry into it and we certainly did not vote on giving up our sovereignty.

Somehow, our elected REPRESENTATIVES have become "Authorities". Which is the crux of the problem.

Americans voted with their wallets.

If you don't want to be a part of it, exit stage left. It's your right as an american.

We all trust authority to a certain extent and it is reasonable to do so. We trust that if we are wronged that a judge will be fair and that we don't need to take justice into our own hands. We trust that our elections aren't rigged and that our voice can be heard. We trust that our teachers won't be raping and murdering our children when we leave them in their authority.

At the same time, we have to be vigilant of abuses and careful that power doesn't become too intoxicating for those who wield it. Whether it is a corporate CEO, a financial charlatain like a Madoff (who many gave authority over their life savings), or the government.

So, we should not be blindly trustful of authority because without it there would be nothing but chaos... but we shouldn't meekly submit to all their whims or endorse their ideas either.

It depends on what level of authority you're talking about. I think it's okay to be skeptical/mindful of the fact that sometimes, authority figures don't always kiss babies and bring you warm doughnuts, so to speak, but I think most of them try to do their job to the best of their ability, even though some of them can't quite cut it.

/\ This. (I know how you hate "this" but I cant help but use it here because you've said pretty much all I wanted to to say and I wanted to express my agreement and support for your statement :D )

Yes, and no

Depends on which authority, and it depends on the context of the situation, especially the competence of the individual that would be distrusting.

Should a young and ignorant person distrust authority? Well, maybe initially, but someone of that stature should be encouraged to follow authority in the proper context (priest is authority in religion, not under pants inspection) because they aren't competent enough to judge what is right and wrong yet.

An expert, especially and older expert should be given more leeway since they are in criticizing and distrusting authority because he or she is in a better position to judge the situation.

I think there needs to be a healthy distrust of authority, and that's a difficult distinction for many to make. There's a difference between "Ok, people in the government are human and they're prone to the same flaws as the rest of us: greed, lying, infidelity, etc., so I should make sure I check up on what they believe and say every so often." and "The government caused 9/11 and no amount of evidence and facts will convince me otherwise!!!"

You can't give authority figures a blank check on trust, but you can't just inherently assume they're all out to get you. Some people (9/11 truthers, birthers, fake-moon-landers, etc.) take it to the extreme, but there's a reason a lot of people in authority read up on Sun Tzu and Machiavelli.

Which is why the Nazi's, Soviets, and communists in general were so successful during the 20th century

Archived