Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsobserver.com: Willie Parker healthy and eager

Gerald362

Eagerness is a good thing. Willie wanting to prove that he isn't washed up adds all the more motivation. Something CP has lacked the past couple years imo.

Well if Parker was so motivated compared to Portis maybe he wouldnt have fallen off the map after a good couple years?

Eagerness is a good thing. Willie wanting to prove that he isn't washed up adds all the more motivation. Something CP has lacked the past couple years imo.

Not sure what that means. Two years ago he was having a great season until injuries slowed him down. It wasn't until last year that they started asking if Portis was washed up, and he seems to have plenty of motivation to prove them wrong.

Meanwhile, it has been three years since Parker did anything of significance.

Personally, I liked Betts and hoped he would have had a bigger role, but thats how it goes.

Only thing I am concerned with is the " rb by committee" ; 3 backs, Portis, Johnson, and Parker, all three are proven, but all three with egos and pride as well, and this could turn into a negative situation very quickly...

Couple that with the fact that we may have a Full-Back position battle before too long.

I think Fast Willie will have something left in the tank. He isn't going to be a workhorse but if he's healthy and rested...he still has the ability to outrun defenders. Which is something that we haven't seen from a redskin's runningback in years.

Personally, I liked Betts and hoped he would have had a bigger role, but thats how it goes.

Only thing I am concerned with is the " rb by committee" ; 3 backs, Portis, Johnson, and Parker, all three are proven, but all three with egos and pride as well, and this could turn into a negative situation very quickly...

That's my concern as well. I can't see keeping Portis, Johnson and Parker. My gut feeling is that Portis will be gone. I'm guessing that LJ, Willie and one other back plus the fullback make the team. CP will be released.

Not sure what that means. Two years ago he was having a great season until injuries slowed him down. It wasn't until last year that they started asking if Portis was washed up, and he seems to have plenty of motivation to prove them wrong.

Yeah. All I really meant was that after reading that article, and from everything else I've read, Willie Parker seems genuinely enthused about being a Redskin. He seems to have a small chip on his shoulder.

Portis, on the other hand, seemed lethargic out there, in particular last season. His attitude, from his public comments to his demeanor and body language on the sidelines, exhibits nothing but a "I don't care" attitude. That is just what I saw though. Certainly injuries played a big part in his decline, and I am sure he wants to prove the doubters wrong too. I hope he does, I hope all 3 RBs do!

This is not a betts thread, but betts proved that he couldnt be counted to pick up yards when we needed them most, he always seemed to be better catching passes in space.

My guess is that either Alridge or Ryan Torrain surpasses Parker as the third Speed option. And Larry Johnson > Betts as a pure runner, so basically betts couldnt compete with the backs we have now.

Portis had this extremely annoying habit of falling foward as soon as he reached the hole. Probably because he was so used to trying to bullrush through a tiny crack, that when there was actually a hole he began falling forward/tripping out of habit.

Portis had this extremely annoying habit of falling foward as soon as he reached the hole. Probably because he was so used to trying to bullrush through a tiny crack, that when there was actually a hole he began falling forward/tripping out of habit.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Me and my buddies have been discussing this issue since 2005, and I personally believe thats the reason why he hasn't broken a lot of 20+ yard runs since he's been here. That, and he doesn't have good lateral quickness and vision, which is why he's been running into his blockers for a couple seasons. Hopefully Mike Shanahan will help him with that.

It's just easier to take a shot at CP whenever possible.

He's the popular guy to hate right now. And with JC gone, it's pretty much him and Haynesworth.

It will be interesting to see how Shanahan manages to use Portis, Johnson, and Parker. Will they all get playing time? All three of them are beyond their workhorse days, so it might be a good situation for them. But running back-by-committee has usually meant 2guys, not 3. We'll have to see how this shakes out.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Me and my buddies have been discussing this issue since 2005, and I personally believe thats the reason why he hasn't broken a lot of 20+ yard runs since he's been here. That, and he doesn't have good lateral quickness and vision, which is why he's been running into his blockers for a couple seasons. Hopefully Mike Shanahan will help him with that.

Me too , i hope Shany is going to help him run the way he used to run back in his Bronco days. Those 2 seasons he had there are , very possible , best 2 seasons in his career...

This is not a betts thread, but betts proved that he couldnt be counted to pick up yards when we needed them most, he always seemed to be better catching passes in space.

My guess is that either Alridge or Ryan Torrain surpasses Parker as the third Speed option. And Larry Johnson > Betts as a pure runner, so basically betts couldnt compete with the backs we have now.

Never said it WAS a Betts thread, just putting in my 2 cents of my opinion of him.

When CP went out a few years ago, he filled in very well, but not sure why production slacked off, if it was injuries, scheme, or playing time.

I do have my doubts on Parker, and Johnson for that matter; Parker had 1 good year, then squat after, and Johnson, well, once contract time passed, so did production.

Regardless, I hope the pieces fall together quickly and it turns out to be a good tandem; imagine 3-1000 yd rushers!

Haynesworth made a devil out of himself. I don't pity his position much.

The Redskins may have 3 backs that all have peaked career-wise but one cannot tell me that a healthy combination of Portis-Johnson-Parker is not better than the post-concussion tandem of Quinton Ganther and Rock Cartwright the team put out there for the second half of 2009 :)

I am disheartened to hear that Willie Parker is an adament Dallas Cwoboys fan. Right now he disgusts me. Only way to get his way back into my good graces is to make the team and have a great year. I don't want to see no BS against Dallas either. He better score 3 times on them... Like forreal... I'm not feeling Willie right now.

I think all three backs will be here come season and all will have decent seasons. It would be nice to have good backs behind the "starter".

I think Clinton will have one of his better years. Maybe not a 1500+ since we have real backs to spread the load around. But I definitely see Riggo getting pushed to second this year.

Don't forget the Giants had a 3 running back crew 2 years back. All three weren't equal, but even Bradshaw had 67 carries for the season. The other two were over 1000 yards.

67 was more than any of our other backs last year, and CP only played in 8 games. Zorny wasn't very horny for the running. Though probably due to our horrid OL at the end of the season.

Archived