Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 30 for 30: Run Ricky Run

LaRonDontLikeUgly

I keep hearing from people that this ESPN documentary on Ricky Williams is astonishing and received an enthusiastic standing-ovation at the premiere in Florida.

I am aware that it will be running at different times over the next couple days, but I was wondering if any tech-savvy wizards on ES may know of any available links right now to watch the full episode. (30FOR30.ESPN.COM only has a few segments posted.)

Thanks for the help--- and PMs are always welcome if you don't want to reveal your wizardry to the entire community.

UPDATE: Here is the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=628QWH13

I found the link myself:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=628QWH13

It was everything it was hyped up to be... After watching the film, RW is easily one of the most fascinating and progressive-minded professional athletes I have ever come across. Although his actions in the past appear both unpredictable and foolish, Ricky seems very self-aware and dedicated to his own personal evolution above everything else.

The director said something like, "You have to know that when you hold up a camera to Ricky, he is going to hold a mirror back at you."

Even if you or someone you know hasn't battled drug/alcohol addiction first hand, there are still many life lessons to be learned from watching this film.

On a side note, Ricky will turn 33 in one month but I seriously think this dude has 3 or 4 more years in him where he could break 1,000 yards if he wanted to continue playing. He is in immaculate mental/physical health from his time away from football.

he's happy. seems to be one of the most introspective and intelligent people (not saying athlete) EVER featured on ESPN....yeah, there's a lot of issues that were, and maybe still are, suppressed. But he's found inner peace and seems content with the person that he is.

GREAT 30 for 30....one of the best ones I've seen in the series.

I'm still baffled as to why it took so long for him to have a complete psych evaluation....the warning signs were there from early on...

*His father should rot in hell...

I just watched it on my DVR. It is a must watch.

It makes you really think about how we as fans think about players almost as property. Ricky is a really interesting person who had some serious mental problems (as still does, but seems to manage it better).

Thanks for providing links, as a poor student without cable it's difficult to watch these ESPN documentaries so links are appreciated when they do come on. I downloaded them earlier off the links in this thread and I will watch it tomorrow.

I got out of it that he was a self centered, irresponsible, deadbeat Dad.

Really? You watched that hour documentary and that's all your got out of it? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think it was a lot more revealing and interesting than that.

Ricky is not a saint, nor even really a good person and the film does not even try and portray that. The film makes him look at times EXACTLY like you stated - "a self centered, irresponsible, deadbeat Dad." His mom calls him a dog and that he is absent in his children's life (about 5-6 years ago).

But the film also shows you the journey through almost 6 years of his life. Personal changes (not all good) and growth. In many parts of those 6 years you get to see directly into the mind of someone dealing with pretty several mental problems. You can see how a person can fall so deep so quickly because of untreated problems. It shows the interesting way the media and fans treat athletes (like property). It was fascinating to see the fan who said Ricky should burn in hell be re-interviewed last season. The audio and video clips of the media were really interesting too.

How many people on this board felt lost, confused and did stupid things in their early to mid 20s? He was not sure who he was, what he wanted or what he should be doing. . . which sounds like every 20 something person I know.

Again, the movie does not try and make Ricky a good person. But in the end he is in the NFL, successful, a good teammate, very intelligent, educated, has a great family, married, raising his kids and seemingly happy. Which is a big difference than where he was in Nevada City, CA living as a hermit.

I knew he would quickly regret his decision to leave pro football and would soon come crawling back begging for another chance.

I don't think he regrets it - though I am sure he wonders what would have happened. In the end it was the best for him - he dealt with his mental problems and Dave Wanstead did not kill his body.

Had he stayed in the NFL under Wanstead I think he would have destroy Ricky's body for life.

I got out of it that he was a self centered, irresponsible, deadbeat Dad.

Pretty standard response from Southern VA.

Ricky is an impressive guy. I am happy that he's found a way to cope with his illness and turned away from drugs. I've got a friend going through a similar ordeal and it's not easy.

How many people on this board felt lost, confused and did stupid things in their early to mid 20s? He was not sure who he was, what he wanted or what he should be doing. . . which sounds like every 20 something person I know.

That's a pretty sad indictment of our culture. Rampant immaturity is very real problem, especially among adult males, in our society. When you are in your 20's, you are supposed to be a responsible adult, not an adolescent. Instead we celebrate perpetual adolescence with sitcoms and such.

/rant

That's a pretty sad indictment of our culture. Rampant immaturity is very real problem, especially among adult males, in our society. When you are in your 20's, you are supposed to be a responsible adult, not an adolescent. Instead we celebrate perpetual adolescence with sitcoms and such.

/rant

Not sure what sitcoms have to do with it, as males in their 20s have been immature wayyyyyyyy before TV :ols:.

But overall I agree with your point - it is a problem. However, that does not change the fact that in your late teens early 20s can be a confusing time regardless of why that is in our society. It is even more of a problem if you have severe chemical imbalances and mental issues, which clearly Ricky Williams had (still has).

Again, I don't think Ricky Williams is a great person, or even a good person. He has some ****ing weird problems. He handled his problems in a non-traditional, some would call wrong, way.

However, in the end he came out a better person and seemingly much more mature. He is not in jail, not dead, not a deadbeat dad, not violent, not a problem in society.

Absolutely riveting. Exactly the way I like to spend my time on my Friday's off.

I remember watching Ricky during his Heismann run. Plain and simply put he was the best college football player I had ever see. Hands down.

I'll be adding dwbiggs to my ignore list now, as my human eyes shouldn't bare witness to such wisdom

I thought it was great.

Showed a different side of Ricky Williams.

But yeah, it doesn't change the fact that the guy is hardly father of the year. Not even close. Interesting guy, nice guy, but incredibly selfish in many ways.

Overall, just thought it was interesting. Love the 30 for 30 docs.

These 30 by 30 specials have been wonderful; but what's more, they aren't cookie cutter films. Every director brings his/her own creative spin on a certain event in sports. Some are introspective like the Ricky Williams film, some are mournful and tragic like the Len Bias film, others are humorous like the Rotisserie League film.

I'm looking forward to the 16th Man film next week.

Archived