Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: Adam Carriker traded to the Redskins (Skins swap 5th and 7th round picks with STL)

No Excuses

What if we got Carriker to replace Phillip Daniels? Then maybe Hanesworth stays and plays the other end. Guy from Carolina and Allen's guy from the Bucs play Nose. Thats a nice rotation with Orakpo hitting the corners on third downs...

I agree. IMO, he'll rotate in and out with Daniels this year and possibly be the long term starter.

This has no baring on Al. We were looking at starting a 36 year old DE who never played in a 3-4 before as a 3-4 DE. Now we have that 36 year old as depth and add a 25 year old better suited for a 3-4 DE as a starter for absolutely nothing. This move makes us very versatile. For a 3-4 front we have Carriker-Kemoeatu-Haynesworth. For a 4-3 front we have Carriker-Kemoeatu-Haynesworth-Orakpo.

I think you're clearly downplaying Archuletta's contributions to this team. He was the personal punt protector. You have to be a super smart player and really fight your guts out to hold that position down.

I had forgotten about that. Personal punt protector. Wow.

Translation: we're paying him $30 million to sit on the bench? Oh HELL no. Get that mother^&(*% on special teams! Have him do SOMETHING!

Craziest thing about Archuletta was that, after he laid his gigantic $30 turd here in DC, Lovie Smith gave him $8 million over 3 years to play for the Bears.

Do they not have game film in Chicago?

Is Carriker a NT or a DE?

Does this trade really means Haynesworth is gone?

1) NT, but he will see some time at DE in a 3-4 scheme.

2) Of course not. Haynesworth is the best player on the defense, maybe on the entire team, and he just got a $32 million check from the Redskins. Maybe they offered Haynesworth as part of a more complicated scenario in the McNabb trade, but now that that's over, you can bet Big Al will be in a Redskins uniform next season.

Only way he gets traded now is if someone offers a top-15 pick for him, which is highly doubtful. Even then, I'd rather have Haynesworth. Dude straight up dominates. We know this about him. Never know what some rookie will do in the NFL.

1) NT, but he will see some time at DE in a 3-4 scheme.

2) Of course not. Haynesworth is the best player on the defense, maybe on the entire team, and he just got a $32 million check from the Redskins. Maybe they offered Haynesworth as part of a more complicated scenario in the McNabb trade, but now that that's over, you can bet Big Al will be in a Redskins uniform next season.

Only way he gets traded now is if someone offers a top-15 pick for him, which is highly doubtful. Even then, I'd rather have Haynesworth. Dude straight up dominates. We know this about him. Never know what some rookie will do in the NFL.

Carriker is not a NT, he was a 4-3 DE that the Rams moved inside to DT but is actually best suited for 3-4 DE. Now that we are putting players where they are suppose to be (Landry at SS, Orakpo getting after the QB, Carriker 3-4 DE, Haynesworth all over the line) I expect some good things from our D this year.

Now that we are putting players where they are suppose to be (Landry at SS, Orakpo getting after the QB, Carriker 3-4 DE, Haynesworth all over the line).

Playing people in positions that there are suited to and allowing them to play to their strengths. That really is a radical idea isn't it :)

Good signing with no risk. Carriker may be an injury risk given he was on IR last year with shoulder problems but given what we had to give up (i.e nothing) the upside if he is just average is excellent.

To end all the talk about him being a NT he is a natural 3-4 DE who weighed under 300 lbs in College and is just over 300 at his NFL playing weight. If he has to line up on the nose at any point other than in a dime look we are in big trouble.

Absolutely no negative impact. After the first 100 players, they're less than 50-50 to make the team and usually a longer shot to see the field in two years. (Someone brings up Horton here.) Even if Carriker doesn't play a down, other than some dollars, it has absoluely zero negative impact. If Carriker has any positive impact, and I think he's better than Montgomery and an upgrade to Golston, then nothing but good can come from this.

I don't think they're 50/50 until sometime in the fifth round or later, so that's more like 150 players.

In any case I agree that Carriker is absolutely worth giving a shot, especially since Haslett knows the guy.

I cant believe some of you all are crying about 5th rnd drafts.. Go ask the Rams fans how they feel about it. We got a great deal here. Even if his injury turned out to be a career ender which nobody has implied it not that much of a gamble. We need guys who want to play not overrated fattys who bish and complain and get paid bank. Get rid of the fatso and the most of the fat contract. Only reason AH was all hype was due to the other 3 titans he lined up with.

Well, that's almost dropping a round, so it isn't nothing, but it is better than giving the pick entirely.

My question now is what are we going to do with all the DL on the roster? We are moving to a 3-4 and we've signed a total of 4 linemen. Are the Redskins going to have a massive firesale on some of these guys? Because not all of them are making the roster.

...cough....trade Haynesworth....cough...

I cant believe some of you all are crying about 5th rnd drafts.. Go ask the Rams fans how they feel about it. We got a great deal here. Even if his injury turned out to be a career ender which nobody has implied it not that much of a gamble. We need guys who want to play not overrated fattys who bish and complain and get paid bank. Get rid of the fatso and the most of the fat contract. Only reason AH was all hype was due to the other 3 titans he lined up with.
Some of the more knowledgeable posters have implied that the bulk of Big Al's contract is already paid. At least that we got him relatively cheap for the for the next couple years. Until we decide whether or not to take an option on him down the road.

His attitude is one thing, but I think AH is cheap from this time forward. The big bonus money is gone either way.

How did those 3 do without him and why do they want him back?

This is a no risk trade.

Carriker is young and could make a great 3-4 DE. He's too tall to play NT but as a DE he has the size and reach to take up space and stuff the run. He won't be asked to get sacks but asked to let the LB's make plays. I see this working.

I'm not a fan of AH deciding not to work out with his team during this process...but the guy can play...but I do agree....he is overpaid and should have more of a team attitude imo

Believe me I wish AH had a good tude and wanted to play here. But im convinced he doesnt. He got a great contract and is raking is the dough and thats all that counts. I did not like the signing when we made the deal for him, could have gotten a few D players instead of one guy. And sure the titans want him back, hell any nfl team would take him.. because we are eating the cost, why wouldnt you want him. Its a lose-lose situation because we made a risky high doller deal in the end and theres no good way out.

Good trade. Lots of upside, limited cost, fits our system, KNOWS our system, DC knows him and the price is quite good. If he works out it'll be a boon. If he doesn't, nothing huge lost. I am amused with people here fretting over getting a young high draft pick from two years ago for a low draft pick this year, as if the low pick this year has more value.

Get rid of our established players for MORE picks? Nuts you people are.

Archived