Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 4 revealed

JeffSchmeff

An aluminum border going completely around the outside

• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)

• Everything is more squared off

• 3 grams heavier

• 16% Larger battery

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Someone at Cupertino messed up badly by losing their iPhone HD (4.0) prototype.

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Hands-on look at the device, and an image of the case that was on the phone to disguise it as a 3G or 3G.

EDIT: Apparently Apple has stated that this phone wasn't lost, but "stolen". I need to find the link to that claim, though. So in the meantime take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I've read the "lost" iPhone story was cooked up by Gizmodo and they paid someone for that unit. John Gruber, who is listed in the Gizmodo article, claims as much on his website http://daringfireball.net

Gizmodo Has the Purported Next-Gen iPhone in Hand ★

It’s been an open secret to those of us in the racket that Gizmodo purchased this unit about a week ago, from those who claimed to find it. That this belongs to and was made by Apple is almost beyond question at this point. Just how much it looks like what Apple plans to ship this summer, I don’t know. Note that it’s thinner than a 3GS.

I’m mentioned in the article, and must respond. Jason Chen writes:

Apple-connected John Gruber — from Daring Fireball — says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:

So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back.

Obviously someone found it, and here it is.

Note that I did not use the word “lost”. It is my understanding that Apple considers this unit stolen, not lost. And as for the “someone(s)” who “found” it, I believe it is disingenuous for Gizmodo to play coy, as though they don’t know who the someones are.

EDIT - Oldskool beat me to it.

I want to think that I'd switch to Verizon if they got the iPhone but I'm sure verizon would play the same tricks they always do. The phone would have less features and they'd charge a monthly fee to activate what is standard on other networks. Their data plans wouldn't be unlimited and they'd be far more expensive. Their voice plans would be more expensive as well.

All told an iphone would be like 40 bucks more on verizon a month at least.

I simply want to know if the iPhone is DEFINATELY coming to Verizon this year or next, cuz I will hold out on getting a smartphone until it comes out, but if it is not I'll just get me a droid and be happy.

No, its not... the rumor keeps coming up because people have seen iPhones running on Verizon's network, but they have been shown to have been via WiFi, if you check with a couple of the iPhone news sites (iPhone alley, macnews) it pretty much says that...

I'm still using my original iPhone. This looks like the upgrade I've been waiting for.

Front facing video conferencing camera, camera flash and probably a much upgraded camera, faster computer, faster network, multitasking, and probably a bunch of other things we don't know about yet. Do want.

No, its not... the rumor keeps coming up because people have seen iPhones running on Verizon's network, but they have been shown to have been via WiFi, if you check with a couple of the iPhone news sites (iPhone alley, macnews) it pretty much says that...

Well, this thing is dead to me until it gets on Verizon, cause I can't stand AT&T's service.

You clearly do not travel outside the city much....

I live about 30 minutes or so outside of the city.

I travel plenty and only to cities. So I guess your point is pretty valid. I have never lived until this point further than 20 minutes outside of the city.

The only way that the iPhone will go to Verizon is if they are using 4G technology. The 4G name that has been given to the new iPhone has nothing to do with 4G network.

AT&T will not have 4G for at least another year, and same with Verizon. Apple would be wasting their time and money with the slower Verizon network if they created a CDMA version of the iPhone. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to use both voice and data services at the same time with Verizon like you can do with AT&T. Apples newest commercials would be totally moot if the phone couldn't do the things it does in the commercials.

And the iPhone already does multitasking with Apple created Apps. The multitasking that is coming in OS 4.0 allows oyu to have a bunch of apps open at once but it kind of freezes them so you don't crush your battery, unlike Android or other smartphone operating systems.

You clearly do not travel outside the city much....

I guess it all depends where you live but I've never had trouble getting signal except for in the metro tunnels (stations now have signal) where my verizon droid friends have signal.

Simple enough AT&T works enough for most people but not for all. But the constant iPhone to verizon and other networks gets old when there is nothing concrete.

If AT&T service is as bad as people say do you think AT&T would let Verizon get the phone easily? It would kill their business.

Regarding signal and AT&T, I have never had an issue. I do not have an iPhone now and I have spoken with many people who have issues with reception on their iPhone and many who have zero issues. Apparently the back of the next iPhone will be made of some sort of ceramic material, possibly zirconia because it passes the wireless signal much better than plastic.

Archived