Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I have little faith in our WR's

Skinsfanatic_1

The only thing Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have proven to me is that they're incapable. It's still early in their career but I don't think they have the "it" factor. Getting McNabb was a solid move, but the fact remains that he needs more than one or two (Moss and Cooley) receivers to throw to.

not sure if it would be fair to judge these guys for the last two years ...I believe I read somewhere that Shanny and one of our players (want to say Moss) were going thru the tapes...and shanny was in shock that zorn ran certain plays...claimed that his play calling was predictable...I'm sure Shanny will use these guys a little differently...I would also imagine his play calling will be different too...

I agree that I'm nervous about it, but I don't know if we can draw a fair assessment from what we've seen so far. Now that we've got an offense that doesn't look like it was drawn up with crayons, we might be able to see what they're capable of.

We've already heard people say that they have the talent, but we'll just have to see what Shanahan can do with them. Don't forget that Pop worked with Ed McCaffery, Rod Smith (both guys that weren't raved about but ended up being great WRs) and Brandon Marshall (a fourth rounder), and Son worked with Andre Johnson. So, if they can't produce THIS season, then there's definitely something wrong. But I think, as far as coaching the passing game, we're in the best hands possible.

Oh, and we've got Cooley, Moss, AND Davis. That's a pretty decent group, especially with 2 TE sets, where Davis could even move out once in a while and give some matchup problems with LBs (on deep routes) or safeties (his size).

...I believe I read somewhere that Shanny and one of our players (want to say Moss) were going thru the tapes...and shanny was in shock that zorn ran certain plays...claimed that his play calling was predictable...

It was Devin Thomas, and the exact quote Devin gave was that Shanahan said, "You guys really ran THIS?"

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/3/22/1384615/devin-thomas-sheds-some-light-on

Mcnabb has gotten it done throwing to Todd Pinkston, Chad Lewis, and Freddie Mitchell.

So......it may just be me.....but im a little excited to see what he can do with Tana, Cooley, Davis, Thomas, and Kelly.

I agree, McNabb had one of his best years last season when he had two talented WRs. Let's see what he can do with 3 WRs that we know have the talent to be good, and two TEs who've already proven it.

The only thing Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have proven to me is that they're incapable. It's still early in their career but I don't think they have the "it" factor. Getting McNabb was a solid move, but the fact remains that he needs more than one or two (Moss and Cooley) receivers to throw to.
Since this is your first post I guess you wouldn't know this but according to folks on this board you can't tell a thing about a young receiver until they've been in the league 3 or 4 years.

I think what you ought to ask yourself is this...

Was Stan Hixon a great receivers coach? Did he have a penchant from getting the most out of receivers? Who improved under him during the 6 years he was here?

Was Jason Campbell good at exploiting and taking advantage of receivers or did he fixate too much on the short, dump offs?

Did problems along the o line really limit the type of routes and the amount of time a receiver would have to break free?

I think all of these factors influence our understanding of our young wide receivers. Hopefully, they can pick it up if we solve one, two, or twenty of the problems on this team.

If you actaully watch the games again, you will notice how many times Thomas and Kelly were the 3rd or 4th looks by Campbell (Behind Moss/Cooley/Davis/RB). You can't produce if the ball isn't thrown to you!

Was Stan Hixon a great receivers coach? Did he have a penchant from getting the most out of receivers? Who improved under him during the 6 years he was here?

Wow, I didn't even think about it but wasn't Moss' best year his first one here?

Was Jason Campbell good at exploiting and taking advantage of receivers or did he fixate too much on the short, dump offs?

Did problems along the o line really limit the type of routes and the amount of time a receiver would have to break free?

I think all of these factors influence our understanding of our young wide receivers. Hopefully, they can pick it up if we solve one, two, or twenty of the problems on this team.

Add to that if the offensive system held back some of these guys.

It is hard to answer any of those questions, because we don't really know which was the problem. We probably won't get answers either since so much is changing. I'm sure many will use improvement in this area to point to one area of previous dysfunction and say, "That's what the problem was". Problem is, we probably won't ever know for sure.

Even though I live in Mississippi, I had the opportunity to watch almost all of the Skins games last year (you got to love SUnday sports ticket). Personally, I was more frustrated with Zorn's apparent misuse of our young talent. Let's face it, prior to Cooley getting injured, when did we really see F. Davis on the field? Zorn seemed really reluctant to put the young bucks out there and allow them to make plays, even when he knew our season was over.

I think our young guys will be fine. I'm particularly interested in seeing what M. Kelly does seeing how Shanny has said he's going to get Kelly involved in the offense. :point2sky

It was Devin Thomas, and the exact quote Devin gave was that Shanahan said, "You guys really ran THIS?"

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/3/22/1384615/devin-thomas-sheds-some-light-on

I agree, McNabb had one of his best years last season when he had two talented WRs. Let's see what he can do with 3 WRs that we know have the talent to be good, and two TEs who've already proven it.

thank you for clearing that up :)

What is wrong with some people in this fan base? I have little faith in our Receivers. It is there third year. Most receivers don't blossom to then. We had a Joke of a coach who was way over his head. An offensive line that was horrible and compound that with a qb (who I like) but held the ball a spilt second too long all the time.

Give them a Chance before you bash.

Archived