Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Joyce should be suspended for a while. That was an inexcusable missed call. The guy was out. Good call Joyce. :rolleyes:

No no. You dont suspend him. He really isnt a bad umpire at all. He has a good reputation. I didnt know he was actually voted one of the best by the players until now, but I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him. You dont just suspend a guy over a missed call like that, regardless of the situation, important or not.

Dont forget that umpires feel pressure in these situations too. Its not just the players that are nervous on the brink of a perfect game or no hitter.

Dont forget that umpires feel pressure in these situations too. Its not just the players that are nervous on the brink of a perfect game or no hitter.
Which makes this so odd. Most umpires, like the rest of us, would not deprive a guy of a perfect game unless the runner was 2 steps past first. It is obvious that Joyce was erring on the side of safe rather than out.

Joyce could have still fixed the call by saying he got blocked, then having an umpire meeting to get the call right. He really screwed up.

Griffey retired on the wrong day. :ols:

Well i am sure that there was some significance for him. It was the same day that he was drafted in 1987 (June 2nd). Too bad he went out the way that he did. Having grown up in Seattle and watching him play in his early years, He will forever be my favorite player. Thanks for the memories Junior.

Which makes this so odd. Most umpires, like the rest of us, would not deprive a guy of a perfect game unless the runner was 2 steps past first. It is obvious that Joyce was erring on the side of safe rather than out.

Joyce could have still fixed the call by saying he got blocked, then having an umpire meeting to get the call right. He really screwed up.

What also gets me is that whoever the umpire at second base was, he had to have a good view of the play as well. Even without saying he was blocked he should have had a umpire meeting, you are right. Are we to believe that the ump at second base didnt see that play at least well enough to talk it over with Joyce?

Edited by fullnelson9999

What also gets me is that whoever the umpire at second base was, he had to have a good view of the play as well. Even without saying he was blocked he should have had a umpire meeting, you are right. Are we to believe that the ump at second base didnt see that play at least well enough to talk it over with Joyce?

Home Plate umpire too. Someone should have called something. I hope Selig does the right thing and changes the call

Did you see the other camera angles? You may understand Joyce's mid-motion reversal then. And his foot wasn't down immediately, it came down toward the back of the bag, the far side edge of the runner, and by then it was bang-bang with the ball moving all over the place in the glove (that's what Joyce saw from his angle, the ball didn't stop until after the runner hit the bag). But anyway, I was under the impression that the edge went to the runner in close calls at first base regardless.

Ball wasn't bobbled until after the call was made, and Galarraga's foot hit the near part of the bag then slid. The tie goes to the runner, the edge to the fielders, and the benefit of the doubt SHOULD have been given to Galarraga last night.

That was a shame for Galarraga to have his perfect game taken away. I do give Joyce alot of credit for owning up to his mistake and apologizing to Galarraga personally. Now the right thing to do would be for Selig to say the call was blown and it was a perfect game, will it happen, probably not. But baseball needs instant replay for those kinds of calls. I was against intstant replay in baseball, but they need it now. When history is on the line and the ump admits he missed the call, the commish has to do something.

And for those of you who hate baseball, don't post in here anymore then.

I'm not gonna let Joyce off the hook that easy. Sure, he owned up to it, but he blew the call bigtime. In that circumstance, don't you give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt? I mean, a perfect game was on the line.

And this is why I'm having trouble letting Joyce off the hook. It wasn't even really that close of a play. He was out by almost a half step.

I'm not gonna let Joyce off the hook that easy. Sure, he owned up to it, but he blew the call bigtime. In that circumstance, don't you give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt? I mean, a perfect game was on the line.

And this is why I'm having trouble letting Joyce off the hook. It wasn't even really that close of a play. He was out by almost a half step.

I agree that even if he doubted the call, he had to call him out. Even the got that got the "hit" said he assumed he would be called out in that situation, when he was called safe he had a confused look on his face like he knew he was out.

But you have to give Joyce credit for owning up to it and apologizing to Galarraga.

I dont think so. It looks like he thought the call was pretty close, maybe even a tie.

And a tie always goes to the runner.

You have to think about this from both sides. What if it was a close play and the runner was called out, but replays showed that the runner was actually safe. Then you have controversy over apitcher having a perfect game even though he really didnt. You call it as you see it, and try not to be swayed be any circumstances at hand. Clean and unbiased. If you start making exceptions here or there, thats when you go downhill.

Edited by fullnelson9999

They better not overturn this.....you cant undo what has been done. I agree it was the wrong call and they should have instant replay but you cant change what has been done. What about the Berkman check swing vs. the Nationals on Tuesday night that should have been the 3rd strike and 3rd out in the 9th inning to end the game?

Whats done is done.

This debacle should force BUD into getting replay in the game.

Edited by RedskinsNation

How can it not be overturned? What kind of injustice would let this stand as a "one-hitter"?

This is a no-hitter plain and simple. I don't care if the magic is lost because the no-hitter was awarded after the game due to technicalities. It's a no-hitter last night, period, and MLB should do everything in their power to correct this error and bring justice to what happened last night.

They better not overturn this.....you cant undo what has been done. I agree it was the wrong call and they should have instant replay but you cant change what has been done. What about the Berkman check swing vs. the Nationals on Tuesday night that should have been the 3rd strike and 3rd out in the 9th inning to end the game?

Whats done is done.

Check swing is a judgement call. There is nothing in the rulebook that states what a check swing is. Some umps say its when the bat goes across the plate, some say is when the batter breaks his wrists. So they can review a judgement call, just like they don't review holding or pass interference in the NFL. Safe/Out isn't a judgement call and in this case it was pretty clear he was out.

Whats done is done.

When the replay shows that it was one of the worst blown calls in regular season history AND Joyce admitted to making the wrong call it should be overturned. Plain and simple.

I dont think so. It looks like he thought the call was pretty close, maybe even a tie.

You have to think about this from both sides. What if it was a close play and the runner was called out, but replays showed that the runner was actually safe. Then you have controversy over apitcher having a perfect game even though he really didnt. You call it as you see it, and try not to be swayed be any circumstances at hand. Clean and unbiased. If you start making exceptions here or there, thats when you go downhill.

That was not close to being a tie. All we know is that he was OUT.

Except that he was out by almost a full step.

Whats done is done.

This isn't a random check swing. This is a perfect game. Every situation is different. In this situation, with every hall of famer, fan, coach and player saying it needs to be corrected. Correct it.

Check swing is a judgement call. There is nothing in the rulebook that states what a check swing is. Some umps say its when the bat goes across the plate, some say is when the batter breaks his wrists. So they can review a judgement call, just like they don't review holding or pass interference in the NFL. Safe/Out isn't a judgement call and in this case it was pretty clear he was out.

Very true. But still, you cant go back after the game is over and change it. I understand changing a hit to an error...now if they somehow did that, i would maybe be okay with it but you cant go back and correct this.

Where does it end? The '85 Cardinals may start a riot if last nights game was overturned...Denkinger's call could be overturned...and then we are talking about maybe a different WS champion. There are plenty of games that have had incorrect games end in bad calls, each one will be dug out and then reviewed i guess.

What happened sucks, i get that ....and Joyce was wrong but its over and MLB made its bed in having no replay on this type of thing so now they have to sleep in it.

Changing a call the next day would open up the biggest can of worms in Professional Sports outside of steriods and NBA refs fixing games.

It should be a wakeup call and they should use last night as Exhibit A on why its necessary. But you cant go back. I was fully against replay in baseball but now im on the other side. GET REPLAY IN THE GAME! They parially do it...just go full in.

Edited by RedskinsNation