Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Major League Baseball Thread

StillUnknown

Well, my Angels got swept by Boston today. And to top things off, Pineiro is out 6 to 8 weeks -- dealing another blow to our pitching staff.

We pretty much have to sweep Texas at home this weekend to remain in the hunt for the AL West crown. If the Rangers win 2 or 3 games at the Big A, it might well be curtains for us.

The word on the street is Oswalt is being dealt to Philadelphia pending waive of NTC

Major League baseball sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Astros have a deal in place to trade pitcher Roy Oswalt to the Philadelphia Phillies if Oswalt agrees to waive his no-trade clause.

Sources told FOX 26 the Astros have approached Oswalt. He is aware of the deal that is on the table and the club is waiting for his response.

MLB sources told FOX 26 the Astros and Phillies have agreed on the amount of money Houston will take back in the deal and the two teams have agreed on the players Philadelphia will be sending.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/100728-astros-await-oswalt%27s-ok-on-trade-to-phillies

Considering how ****ty the Phillies have played this year this should help

Well, my Angels got swept by Boston today. And to top things off, Pineiro is out 6 to 8 weeks -- dealing another blow to our pitching staff.

We pretty much have to sweep Texas at home this weekend to remain in the hunt for the AL West crown. If the Rangers win 2 or 3 games at the Big A, it might well be curtains for us.

Now I gotta start looking more at the A's since they are in 2nd place. They completely shut us down last night.

Was at the Padres/Dodgers game last night- what a GREAT game! Joe Torre kept bringing out different pitchers, but they were no match :) They walked Adrian to make the bases loaded for Chase Headley, and Headley alllllmost surprised us all with a grand slam.

Before Phillies fans start sucking each others popsicles, pertinent stats:

In 7 reg-season starts vs. the Braves, Roy Oswalt is 0-3 w/ a 7.58 ERA & .354 opponents’ avg. It's his worst record & ERA against any team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5420095

Roy Oswalt has officially accepted his proposed trade to the Philadelphia Phillies, a baseball source familiar with the discussions said Thursday.

A source said after considering his options and speaking with friends familiar with the Phillies' situation, the Houston Astros' staff ace waived his no-trade clause in order to be dealt to Philadelphia.

The Astros will pay $11 million of the approximately $23 million that the 32-year-old right-hander is guaranteed through 2011, sources said.

Oswalt did not demand that his 2012 mutual option for $16 million be picked up by the Phillies, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson. Instead, if either he or the Phillies chose not to pick it up, his $1 million buyout will increase to $2 million.

Looks like a rematch of the Phils vs Yankees after this deal. Now if the Phillies can go back into hitting, it will be trouble for the rest of the NL. Wonder if the Phils are kicking themselves for giving up Lee last offseason.

Edited by DCranon21

When the Phils get their bats back, they're winning another pennant.

I thought it was going to be the Cardinals, but the Phillies are looking crazy good.

Pump the brakes here. Teams go through ups and downs all year. The Braves started off horribly. Then couldn't hardly lose the next two months. The Mets even went through a nice hot streak. And now it seems its the Phillies' turn. I wouldn't go overboard though. And I still believe the Braves will win the East. And the Phillies will take the wildcard. Even with the addition of Oswalt, im not convinced they have more depth in their starting rotation than the Braves do. And I know they don't near as good a bullpen. But they do have Utley coming back. That can only help.

However, I will say this. Once the playoffs start they will be really set. Can't think of a better 1-3 rotation for the playoffs than what the Phillies can run out there. And they have alot of experience as well.

I just think people are overreacting though. They're already putting dirt on the Braves. Not very wise.

If they can get Utlety, Howard, Werth, and Victorino hitting again, they will be very dangerous.

Victorino is on the DL, dude. And I don't think Utley has come back off of yet. And Werth, more than likely, will be dealt. If they are gonna bring up this Brown kid, there's no way they are bringing him up to sit.

Victorino is on the DL, dude. And I don't think Utley has come back off of yet. And Werth, more than likely, will be dealt. If they are gonna bring up this Brown kid, there's no way they are bringing him up to sit.

Right I know Utley and Victorino are on the DL. That's what I'm saying, if they can all get back to hitting how they should, they could be very dangerous. I should've included that in my original post.

Good move for the Rangers. Cantu is very underrated.

We needed more production out of firts base since the Rangers by far had the least 1B production of nay team. Collectively we've hit about .200 from that spot. Plus we needed a righty bat to split time with the lefty we currently have.

Rangers also traded for Cristian Guzman from the Nats today.