Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Mayock on 2010 Redskins

TGW21

That's OK, as 3/4 of our away games, which are generally harder to win, are against teams that had 8 or fewer victories.

we went 4-12 dude, those teams are looking at us saying were a victory on their schedule too. nobody cares that we got mike shanahan, again, hes a great coach not a miracle worker. the idea that this team was a few plays away from being a winner is absurd: that is loser talk. what ifs and almosts are the speech of a loser.

With the talent on this team has been really good but with a HC that was in over his head made them look bad. Not only that players didn't work hard enough for the team because they knew they were going to play regardless of their performance. They knew that Zorn was on a short lease and that they didn't respect him. So the guys they cut were cut because of poor performances, age, money and they didn't fit into their long term plans. So to say we won't make the playoffs or be a very good football team is a fair assessment if we still had Zorn and the status quo still in place. But with Allen and Shanahan here things are different. It is hard to predict what this team will do and not even the "so-called" experts can predict what they will do. So let them predict the worst and let this team prove them wrong. If you don't believe that things have changed I guess you will either be boasting or eating crow. I hope you will be eating crow.

we went 4-12 dude, those teams are looking at us saying were a victory on their schedule too. nobody cares that we got mike shanahan, again, hes a great coach not a miracle worker. the idea that this team was a few plays away from being a winner is absurd: that is loser talk. what ifs and almosts are the speech of a loser.

Coming from a guy that has that title doesn't mean much at all. First of all to be optimistic about the chances of this team are not "loser talk" as you say. People like you that think that this team doesn't have talent and that we will be just as bad this year as last year because Mike Shanahan is not a miracle worker is "lser talk." This is all due to frustration of this team losing ways of the past 10 or 15 years. This has been the bad decisions of one man, Dan Snyder. Dan took the wrong approach in hiring coaches and employing a GM but has now learned that he needs someone with actual GM experience and not "hearsay" experience like in the case of Cerrato.

Guys like you think that nothing will change and feel that they have all the answers when in reality you don't have any better ideas than they do. Everyone says says go out and get this guy and get that guy because they had "X" number of sacks or yards. Then when they go somewhere else they don't do anything. Prime example is Joey Porter was looked at to bring in and there were people on here clamouring for him to be signed. Well he was signed by the Cardinals and now has been arrested for DUI, asault and resisting arrest. What a classy guy he would have been here.

So the point is, things have changed and things look very good for this team. There will be open competition and everyone has to earn their place on the roster and their starting position. Players are being told to either work for it or "don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out." So keep that same attitude, call guys with optimistic outlooks "losers" and always view the bad things about this team because of the past. The only one having "loser talk" is you and that is the reality of the situation.

];7403097']This is the NFL' date=' not the NHL or NBA. It doesn't take a team years and years to rebuild. It's possible to do it overnight. You just need the right combination of things.

So far, we've got a proven HC, and a roster purged of dead weight. So far, so good.[/quote']

I agree Ghost, most of this team has been together 4-6 years now, and that is a "HUGE" part of any teams success. The last time the Redskins had a core group of players stay together this long, they fielded one of the best teams to ever step onto the football field, and won Super Bowl 26. I really believe this is going to be a pretty good football team we will be watching this season.

There's not a team in the NFL who is looking at us this season and thinking this is a guaranteed win. If there is, they will get their ass beat down BLC. Many teams said last year that we're not a typical 4-12 team, and they were right. As I said in other post's, we played head to head with the best teams on our schedule, and in the NFL last year, and we did this under the worst coaching in the league, the worst O-line, terrible QB play, and many core players out for the season.

This year we have that good coaching staff, we will have a much better O-line, leading to better QB play and running game, we will be healthy again, and we will have a solid game plan, with a new playbook that no team in the league knows about. This is not Jim Zorns football team that will be taking the field in 2010, it won't even be close to it. They will be Mike Shanahans, they will be solid competition, and they will be a "team". All this can only mean one thing BLC, SuperBowl baby, SuperBowl :pfft:

I don't think that this team is that bad. I have said it for years that the redskins have the talent to win 9 or 10 games. The have had some bad coaching. Gibbs was to conservative and Zorn was in over his head.

What that being said I still think they need 2 more young players on the oline and some more vetrane depth. I believe that shanny will have these boys ballin. And once we get another year to purge some more old players and draft some youg talent we will take off.

I think that the Skins will make improvement next year under Shanahan but lets also remember that he hovered around .500 and missed the playoffs his last three years in Denver. Given time I predict that Mike will wind up having a overall record in his stint in DC better than what we've endured under the revolving coaching door of Snyder's first decade, but I'm not expecting miracles right away.

It's funny to see how the optimism increases the closer we get to the season. Right after the season on other discussion threads people were pretty much ok with the Skins not making the playoffs this season, but showing "improvement." I guarantee by the beginning of the season there will be a substantial number of people calling for playoffs or even the superbowl.

Where, dude, did you get that out of what, dude, I was saying, dude?

All I said, dude, was our away schedule this year, dude, will be easier than our home schedule...dude.

BTW, I'm not your dude.

Dolphins went from 1-15 to playoff team in 1 offseason.

This idea that we are several seasons away from competing I believe is based on the old guard. The new guard, IMO, is very capable of getting results sooner than later. Shanny even said he expects to be competitive and win games, and Allen said they want to win right away, that this isn't a full-on rebuilding project.

We can right the ship. Won't be easy, that's for sure, but, in Shanny I trust.

All I'm saying is, I'm going to temper my expectations and excitement. Our schedule doesn't look good, and I'll be happy if we win 6. That way, if we win 8 or more, I can actually be really excited, rather than in past years where I expected better, got worse, and was pissed off with an 8-8 or 9-7 season.

If we become a winning team I wont be surprised. We were in damn near EVERY game last season with the worst coaching, o-line, play calling, defensive schemes etc... Better coaching with the talent we have on the squad we should be ok. Definitely not 4-12 again, Id be very surprised and shocked if that were to happen.

Coming from a guy that has that title doesn't mean much at all. First of all to be optimistic about the chances of this team are not "loser talk" as you say. People like you that think that this team doesn't have talent and that we will be just as bad this year as last year because Mike Shanahan is not a miracle worker is "lser talk." This is all due to frustration of this team losing ways of the past 10 or 15 years. This has been the bad decisions of one man, Dan Snyder. Dan took the wrong approach in hiring coaches and employing a GM but has now learned that he needs someone with actual GM experience and not "hearsay" experience like in the case of Cerrato.

Guys like you think that nothing will change and feel that they have all the answers when in reality you don't have any better ideas than they do. Everyone says says go out and get this guy and get that guy because they had "X" number of sacks or yards. Then when they go somewhere else they don't do anything. Prime example is Joey Porter was looked at to bring in and there were people on here clamouring for him to be signed. Well he was signed by the Cardinals and now has been arrested for DUI, asault and resisting arrest. What a classy guy he would have been here.

So the point is, things have changed and things look very good for this team. There will be open competition and everyone has to earn their place on the roster and their starting position. Players are being told to either work for it or "don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out." So keep that same attitude, call guys with optimistic outlooks "losers" and always view the bad things about this team because of the past. The only one having "loser talk" is you and that is the reality of the situation.

being optimistic is completely different than ignoring reality. we are not ready to compete with good teams yet. we dont have the QB, we dont have the oline, were switching to a brand new defense, our runningback situation has a big question mark on it, etc. youre banking on a lot of stuff to go right out of the gate that i just dont agree with. i think were gonna struggle this year with all of this change, especially with the brutal schedule were facing.

and i didnt call anybody being optimistic a loser, read what i wrote. i said that people that say "we were a few plays away" or "we almost beat that awesome team" or "were much better than our record indicates", stuff like that is loser talk. we are what we were. we were a 4-12 team no matter how much you or anybody else wants to spin it.

again, to just assume that everything is gonna click is just foolish IMO. especially considering the tough opponents we have and the issues we have on offense. i keep hearing the dolphins as an example, and its a fine example if we had followed their plan. they brought in pennington, who was one of the biggest factors for their success. we have not brought in the equivalent of a guy like that, and notice how weak they looked last season when pennington went down.

There's not a team in the NFL who is looking at us this season and thinking this is a guaranteed win. If there is, they will get their ass beat down BLC. Many teams said last year that we're not a typical 4-12 team, and they were right. As I said in other post's, we played head to head with the best teams on our schedule, and in the NFL last year, and we did this under the worst coaching in the league, the worst O-line, terrible QB play, and many core players out for the season.

This year we have that good coaching staff, we will have a much better O-line, leading to better QB play and running game, we will be healthy again, and we will have a solid game plan, with a new playbook that no team in the league knows about. This is not Jim Zorns football team that will be taking the field in 2010, it won't even be close to it. They will be Mike Shanahans, they will be solid competition, and they will be a "team". All this can only mean one thing BLC, SuperBowl baby, SuperBowl :pfft:

we dont have the horses to compete this year, sorry. our oline has not been upgraded and youre just assuming that its going to be shored up in the draft, which we would all HOPE is true, but whether that is a reality has yet to be seen. we have QB issues, potential RB issues, no idea how the team is going to respond to the playbook, and were switching to a brand new defensive scheme. this should be considered a rebuild year, which it looks like its going to be, which is fine with me.

mike shanahan is an awesome coach, not a miracle worker. you gotta have the horses to win in this league and unless shanahan has the best draft ever, its going to take a year or two for us to assemble the proper pieces.

7-9 is where we will be this year.

i keep hearing the dolphins as an example, and its a fine example if we had followed their plan. they brought in pennington, who was one of the biggest factors for their success. we have not brought in the equivalent of a guy like that, and notice how weak they looked last season when pennington went down.
I agree with most of the things you said, but I think you're overrating Pennington. The strength of their offense was the running game, and he didn't even throw 20 TDs. Also they were 0-3 in 2009 when Pennington started. They were 7-6 with Henne. Henne didn't exactly light it up himself. Personally I think the Dolphins overachieved in 2008, and won a lot of close games. They severely underachieved in 2007, and lost a lot of games by a single score.

Not until we have at least 3 wicked good linemen. I won't get excited until draft day and I see us snatching up linemen.

This is just a question for everyone out there...

No matter who's at QB this coming season, if the Skins draft a plethora of OL talent and Shanny coaches his but off and the Skins still end up with a horrid record...what will all of you say next time this offseason?

Just drafting linemen doesn't equate to winning more games, it only means there's more linemen on the roster.

What if 2 yrs go by and the Skins draft 6-10 linemen and bring in young FA's and the Skins still don't go anywhere because of a lack of offensive weapons and horrid QB play? What will you all blame it on then?

I can hear it all now...:beatdeadhorse:"we need more olinemen"

we dont have the horses to compete this year, sorry. our oline has not been upgraded and youre just assuming that its going to be shored up in the draft, which we would all HOPE is true, but whether that is a reality has yet to be seen. .
Actually the draft and cuts are what we're waiting for. There wasn't much to chose from in FA, but there will be when draft time comes and when roster cuts are made. We have plenty of time to get these horses and Shanny will get the O-line he needs.

With the attitude this team has now, the competition coming in, and finally a real game plan, I think we will have a better running game then we did in 05 under Gibbs. I think we're in for a fun season BLC, I also believe we're going to upset a few of these playoff teams on our schedule.

This is just a question for everyone out there...

No matter who's at QB this coming season, if the Skins draft a plethora of OL talent and Shanny coaches his but off and the Skins still end up with a horrid record...what will all of you say next time this offseason?

i dont want to speak for capt rich, but i think that would depend on what parts of the team are lacking.

Just drafting linemen doesn't equate to winning more games, it only means there's more linemen on the roster.

ya, but this year, i think most (not everybody) would agree that O line was the biggest weakness on the team. 2 of our linemen were plucked from the scrapheap and nobody wanted them. another was hurt all year- alot of poeple think he doesnt belong in the NFL anyway. our center appeared overmatched (and was according to PFF, somehow he got a nice contract--????). our LG was our only decent linemen.

What if 2 yrs go by and the Skins draft 6-10 linemen and bring in young FA's and the Skins still don't go anywhere because of a lack of offensive weapons and horrid QB play? What will you all blame it on then?

then i think you get more offensive weapons and a new QB.

I can hear it all now...:beatdeadhorse:"we need more olinemen"

i dont think people would say that if the line was good.

I really think the Broncos of 09=the Redskins of 08. New coach, people unfamiliar with the game plan, good defense, start strong, finish lousy. They should be a little better than we were last year, IMO. They lost their D coordinator (who carried the team), and everyone knows what they are trying to do on offense. I'll give them 2 more wins because Zorn was so terrible. I predict the Broncos go 6-10 and we are 7-9 or 8-8.

I agree with most of the things you said, but I think you're overrating Pennington. The strength of their offense was the running game, and he didn't even throw 20 TDs. Also they were 0-3 in 2009 when Pennington started. They were 7-6 with Henne. Henne didn't exactly light it up himself. Personally I think the Dolphins overachieved in 2008, and won a lot of close games. They severely underachieved in 2007, and lost a lot of games by a single score.

ill buy that about the dolphins. the wild cat really helped the dolphins that year too, and teams have since adjusted to it. still, pennington had the 2nd highest rating in the league, and i fully admit its an overrated stat, however when its THAT high, its tough to ignore. he played almost mistake free football most of the season, mixed with a blue collar defense and a fresh and innovative running attack they shocked everybody.

i personally would rather follow the falcons blueprint: draft QB/OL and hope to god you find your gem starter.

Archived