Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Haynesworth sends a clear message

themurf

Haynesworth started last year in pretty darn good shape, but as anybody that has played sports knows, you have to keep working at it all season to maintain that condition.

Given that Zorns conditioning program was a joke, then I can understand how a guy that is 6' 6", weighs at least 350 lbs can easily get out of shape. On top of that you throw him out there to be double and triple teamed, makes it hard on a big fellow.

Now I am not saying that AH is absolved of any wrong doing, but there is alot more elements to this senario.

I said it in another thread and really believe the animosity being thrown around in regards to AH is because we didnt draft him, and he signed a big contract. Heck look at all the posts that still reference AH signing a 100 million dollar contract with 41 mil guarenteed.

There was not near the level of this kind of posts when Sean Taylor missed the whole week of training and Gibbs didnt even know where he was.

A lot of people had idiotic expectations of him last year as well.

I think in this case, the end doesn't justify the means. While I want Hanyesworth to be at his peak performance level when the season rolls around, I'm not really cool with the fact that he's basically blowing off the new HC to do his own thing.

Hopefully this doesn't escalate, but we could be seeing the beginning of a problem brewing ...

No he didn't, he explained his plans and they came to an agreement. lets not rewrite history here.

This isn't about him being in great shape, it's about intangibles & team chemistry...dude could come back as He-man (which I have severe doubts given Fat Al's shape last year) & that still doesn't mean a damn thing if he's a locker room cancer & insubordinate to the new HC regime. This is why football is so great, because it is so much a TEAM game, no one guy can get it done on his own...

Don't believe it? Case and point - T.O., 'nuff said...

This isn't about him being in great shape, it's about intangibles & team chemistry...dude could come back as He-man (which I have severe doubts given Fat Al's shape last year) & that still doesn't mean a damn thing if he's a locker room cancer & insubordinate to the new HC regime. This is why football is so great, because it is so much a TEAM game, no one guy can get it done on his own...

Don't believe it? Case and point - T.O., 'nuff said...

In the legendary words of Leon:

Ain't no WE either!

but there is a ME in team and an I in WIN.

ppl shud just stop ****ing about what haynesworth does. hes getting paid and why should you expect him to do anything when he is guaranteed more than enough money.

hes a beast and leave it at that. who cares if he doesnt have team chemistry. if he just shows up in game and do what he does our def will be fine. besides its OFFSEASON and VOLUNTARY...

if you were getting 100 mill would you listen to anything anyone has to say to you? id say nothin and just show them my bank account. so shut up about him doin what he wants. hes always been like that since he entered nfl.. why do u expect him to change for this "great" HC...

AH and CP are old news. Did you hear about this one writer who goes around the locker room looking for players to talk **** about their teammates? And then he quotes them in his inflammatory editorials? And then if that didn't bring everything to a raging boil, he pokes at it some more?

Yeah, you should get some players' opinions on that guy, because he's really doing the most damage to team chemistry. And guess what? He claims to be a fan! I know, right?

I don't blame AH. He was paid to be the best DT in a 4-3 defense and this is VOLUNTARY.

He is working out with a guy who helped him rack up probowl stats in his contract year.

If regular season begins and he is out of shape then thats a totally different story.

No he didn't, he explained his plans and they came to an agreement. lets not rewrite history here.

Reading into Shanahan's words from the coaches' brunch, I wouldn't exactly call it an agreement. Shanahan blatantly says he totally disagreed with Hanyesworth's decision.

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, and see how Hanyesworth fairs when TC comes around. If he arrives in great shape and is willing to fill whatever position Haslett wants him at, then I'll be okay with the decision. I just don't like the direction this could potentially be heading, especially when it concerns one of our top players.

Reading into Shanahan's words from the coaches' brunch, I wouldn't exactly call it an agreement. Shanahan blatantly says he totally disagreed with Hanyesworth's decision.

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, and see how Hanyesworth fairs when TC comes around. If he arrives in great shape and is willing to fill whatever position Haslett wants him at, then I'll be okay with the decision. I just don't like the direction this could potentially be heading, especially when it concerns one of our top players.

Thats a fair approach. I had read where Shanahan said he wasn't happy but he understood.

Ok...then what if Orakpo wanted to do it? Also, what if Carter, Fletcher, Portis, Landry, Cooley, Moss, and Hall wanted to go off and train without the team? Would it still be ok?

Why is it ok for Haynesworth? Is it just because it's one player?

The year the Giants won the Superbowl. Shockey and Plax skipped the Giants offseason activities to work out in Miami, and Michael Strahan sat out all of training camp and threatened to retire because he wanted a pay raise. Shockey played well until he broke his leg. He also skipped a significant portion of the Saints offseason workout last season, yet still caught the game-winning TD in the Superbowl. Plax had arguably the best season of his career, and also caught a game-winning Superbowl TD. And Strahan was the unquestioned defensive leader of a team that put up one of the most impressive defensive performances in Superbowl history.

The only thing that matters is whether these guys play well on Sunday.

The year the Giants won the Superbowl. Shockey and Plax skipped the Giants offseason activities to work out in Miami, and Michael Strahan sat out all of training camp and threatened to retire because he wanted a pay raise. Shockey played well until he broke his leg. He also skipped a significant portion of the Saints offseason workout last season, yet still caught the game-winning TD in the Superbowl. Plax had arguably the best season of his career, and also caught a game-winning Superbowl TD. And Strahan was the unquestioned defensive leader of a team that put up one of the most impressive defensive performances in Superbowl history.

The only thing that matters is whether these guys play well on Sunday.

The difference is that the Giants already had an established program. This is the first offseason with the new admin., and its clear the reason why Shanny wanted everyone to attend was to set chemistry and a report not only among teammates, but with the new staff.

hes a beast and leave it at that. who cares if he doesnt have team chemistry. if he just shows up in game and do what he does our def will be fine. besides its OFFSEASON and VOLUNTARY...

if you were getting 100 mill would you listen to anything anyone has to say to you? id say nothin and just show them my bank account. so shut up about him doin what he wants. hes always been like that since he entered nfl.. why do u expect him to change for this "great" HC...

Spoken like a true 21 year old.

This is one of those, guy takes an ill advised 3pt shot, the coach cringes as it goes up, but it goes in. So pat on the back nothing said. But if you miss you get chewed out. If AL comes into TC in superb shape/condition you live with it, if he is still fat and sucking wind with phantom injuries, you have a bigger problem.

can somebody re-post the "top tier" dt's and the # of defensive plays that were played last season please?

Here's a list of Pro Bowlers, compared to Haynesworth:

Vince Wilfork: 6’2”, 325; 565/873 = 64.7%; 40.4 snaps per game

Haloti Ngata: 6’4”, 345 630/1002 = 62.8%; 39.4 snaps per game

Casey Hampton: 6’1”, 325 592/1033 = 57.3%; 37.0 snaps per game

Jay Ratliff: 6’4”, 303 851/1180 = 72.1%; 47.3 snaps per game

Darnell Dockett 6’4”, 285; 991/1251 = 79.2%; 55.1 snaps per game

Justin Smith: 6’4”, 285; 977/1117 = 87.5%; 61.1 snaps per game

Albert Haynesworth: 6’6”, 350; 573/795 = 72.1%; 47.8 snaps per game

The guys I bolded are bigger top-tier tackles most comparable to Haynesworth's size. Haynesworth should've been limited to 40 snaps per game. He really wasn't managed well, as far as keeping him fresh for important downs. Taking the Detroit game out the averages (b/c he was injured for a while during that game), he was in on 80% of the snaps when he was healthy.

Archived