Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Haynesworth sends a clear message

themurf

haynesworth073009.JPG

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The big topic this week, as most fans of the Washington Redskins know by now, is Albert Haynesworth.

New head coach Mike Shanahan started the team’s offseason workout regimen last week and said from day one that, although the workouts were “voluntary,” he expected his leaders to be present.

Well, Haynesworth showed for the first day, listened to Shanahan’s first comments to the team and then was nowhere to be found after day one. Later we learned that Haynesworth had apparently committed to an individual workout regime with a trainer who helped him become one of the most dominant players in football back when he was with the Tennessee Titans.

“Last year I worked out with the Redskins and the year that we had wasn’t great by any means, very disappointed in my play and stuff like that, so I’m getting back to basics, what got me to be one of the top defensive guys in the NFL, and that’s what I plan on doing,” Haynesworth said during a radio appearance yesterday. “I told Mike, and he was like ‘Well, I wanted you to train with our guys and all that stuff.’

And I said ‘I totally respect that, but to get me back to where I want to be, I need the serious training, I need the stuff that got me where I’m at.’ We do a lot of specialized stuff. My trainer comes up with some great stuff that’s just for me, basically. Not just maybe a defensive lineman, but just for me, stuff that I can improve on to help me get stronger and things that help me focus better. Nothing against them or whatever, but I want to get back to being the best defensive tackle in the NFL, and I need to do this.”

Here’s the thing, maybe we have a different perspective because of our military background. Maybe concepts like loyalty and sacrificing for the good of the team mean more to us than it does to a “me-first” guy like Haynesworth.

But if our boss asks us, as one of the team leaders, to make sure we’re available for team workouts, then we’re going to be there. If we had previously committed to something else, we’ll quickly pick up the phone and cancel. It’s a new day with a new head coach, and Haynesworth owes it to Shanahan and friends to be a part of the team, not continue to be a hired assassin.

“My thing is, they pay me to play football,” Haynesworth said. “As long as I’m dominating and being that great player, then that’s all that matters. No matter how I get there, as long as they want me doing that, then that’s what matters.”

And that’s where the disconnect is. Haynesworth is only here to collect that paycheck. He doesn’t care about being a member of a team or doing what’s best for the organization. He’s only concerned about taking care of him and if that doesn’t work for anyone else, he couldn’t care less.

Click here for the full article.

“Last year I worked out with the Redskins and the year that we had wasn’t great by any means, very disappointed in my play and stuff like that, so I’m getting back to basics, what got me to be one of the top defensive guys in the NFL, and that’s what I plan on doing,” Haynesworth said during a radio appearance yesterday. “I told Mike, and he was like ‘Well, I wanted you to train with our guys and all that stuff.’

Why did he leave out that he also worked out with his private trainer last offseason? Yet he was still out of shape.

But if our boss asks us, as one of the team leaders, to make sure we’re available for team workouts, then we’re going to be there. If we had previously committed to something else, we’ll quickly pick up the phone and cancel. It’s a new day with a new head coach, and Haynesworth owes it to Shanahan and friends to be a part of the team, not continue to be a hired assassin.
And that’s where the disconnect is. Haynesworth is only here to collect that paycheck. He doesn’t care about being a member of a team or doing what’s best for the organization. He’s only concerned about taking care of him and if that doesn’t work for anyone else, he couldn’t care less.

This is part of the reason why I don't see him here past 2012.

:applause:Great article murf.

People can go ahead and say that the article and others are being judgmental all they want, this article hits the nail right on the head.

There are different ways that Haynesworth could have gone about doing this whole thing, but he's choosing to go against the head coaches wishes.

I'm totally fine with him doing this.

BUT I'll tell you what....there better not be anymore falling on the field like he's had a massive heart attack.

If he's making the excuse that he wasn't in the best shape last year because he worked out with the team, he better be in shape this year if he's doing his own thing.

But if its gonna make him better I don't see why you would have a problem with this..other than the fact that he would be away his teammates and whatnot...with Al i don't think thats a big deal though.

Why did he leave out that he also worked out with his private trainer last offseason? Yet he was still out of shape.

I didn't realize he had used the same trainer a year ago. That makes it even worse. He blames the Redskins workout regime from his failures a year ago, but there's an entirely new staff with brand-new equipment ready to go and he'd rather blow them off to do his own thing with the guy who couldn't get it done last season. Awesome.

Thanks for the link. I added it to the article.

Well, a lot is going to be on him to be prepared for the season considering that by doing this, he's putting the bullseye on himself. But, I do think he wants to prove that he's worth the contract he signed, and even tho I think he had a pretty good season last year, I can see the frustration in him, that he expects better of himself.

Haynesworth needs to make sure he's doing what he needs to do to take care of business. If he does that, we are going to forget about this.

I have to disagree with your article Murf. Haynesworth, any NFL player for that matter, needs to look out for #1. Players get traded every year and as a player, they never know where they are going to be 6 months from now. Sounds to me like Haynesworth wants to regain his status as a dominant player. As a Redskins fan I'm conflicted here because part of me says Haynesworth is hurting team morale and all that stuff, but part of me is happy that we may get a few years with Haynesworth at the top of his game.

In reality that is all that really matters. If you win, the fans could care less what you do. So ultimately, if Haynesworth does his own thing this off season and comes back and has a monster year, everyone will forgive and forget and Haynesworth can run for mayor of DC. If he comes back after doing his own thing and flops, well, that won't be good.

I didn't realize he had used the same trainer a year ago. That makes it even worse. He blames the Redskins workout regime from his failures a year ago, but there's an entirely new staff with brand-new equipment ready to go and he'd rather blow them off to do his own thing with the guy who couldn't get it done last season. Awesome.

Thanks for the link. I added it to the article.

yeah, I knew something was strange when he made that comment about the Redskins trainers. It was a good thing i was able to find the article. It really causes you to question this man's integrity and intelligence.

I have to disagree with your article Murf. Haynesworth, any NFL player for that matter, needs to look out for #1. Players get traded every year and as a player, they never know where they are going to be 6 months from now. Sounds to me like Haynesworth wants to regain his status as a dominant player. As a Redskins fan I'm conflicted here because part of me says Haynesworth is hurting team morale and all that stuff, but part of me is happy that we may get a few years with Haynesworth at the top of his game.

In reality that is all that really matters. If you win, the fans could care less what you do. So ultimately, if Haynesworth does his own thing this off season and comes back and has a monster year, everyone will forgive and forget and Haynesworth can run for mayor of DC. If he comes back after doing his own thing and flops, well, that won't be good.

Ok point taken. So why did he have to lie about working out the entire offseason with the Skins trainers (to justify his failure to stay in shape), when in reality he did not. This is what makes this whole ****amanian story fishy.

This isn't about the fans and has nothing to do with a workout program. It's about rebuilding the franchise from the ground up. The Redskins, as an organization, have cut corners and tried the quick fix for years. Now, when a two-time Super Bowl winning head coach comes in and tries to establish the same fundamentals and systems that enabled him to take home the Lombardi Trophy twice, his highest-paid player turns his back on him.

Haynesworth is letting his coaches and teammates know that he's not a team player. He only cares about himself. Maybe my time in the Army is clouding my opinion on this because we truly did care about the uniform we wore, but you don't have to be a soldier to make personal sacrifices for the good of the team. That's something anyone can do.

so if he makes it to every other redskins related workout practice ota whatever we call it, are we still gonna be critical of this man??? lets see how the rest of the offseason goes before calling this man selfish, not a team player, etc.

Im not saying he is excluded from needing to be there...im saying....relaxxxxx

I know he didnt have a spectacular season but im concerned with a lot more things other than attendance at a march workout session

Bravo Murf! Bravo! I completely agree with every thing you wrote in that peice!

For those saying it's not a "big deal?" Think again. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be the topic of discussion and it wouldn't continue to grow by the day.

Bottomline is this guy should be there with the rest of the team and show his support for coaches and teammates. It's a new regime and he's already pissed them off.

But as usual some of you will be enablers to these spoiled ass MULTI millionaires.

I bought into his speech when he was introduced last year. He spoke how he wanted to be the best and wanted to be compared to Reggie White. Puhleaze. It takes dedication and a great work ethic to acheive that.

great read as usual. I disagree with you slightly about the fact that his only being present for one day makes him "seperate from the team". Many players only attended the first day. Also the misconception about his effort level is staggering.

He was one of the few players on defense for the Skins that seemed to care at the end of games and at the end of the year. On running plays he moves side to side like a linebacker and on passing plays he collapses the pocket (in both situations typically taking a double team). I have never seen from Haynesworth anything CLOSE to being lack of effort on the field.

As for his personality, everybody knew about it when we initially signed him. That is why I was opposed to his signing. In retrospect he has been much better than expected, and seems genuinely intent on winning football games.

I have never yet heard a story about him outright saying "I cannot do this in games". He has been where the coaches tell him to be doing what the coaches tell him to do. Hopefully this year we, as fans, will look at the production level that he is bringing; not as a 100m contract but as a football player.

Please note I am not a Haynesworth fan, I just feel that we should respect our players for who they are not the size of the contract Cerratto gave them.

If he comes in down 20 pounds or so and in better physical condition than last year what will you all say then?

I don't give a **** if he comes in 40 pounds lighter. There is a principle involved here. He should be committed to the team and the new regime.

He was out of shape, but to be honest the workouts in July before training camp are usually done away from the team (since the off-season team workouts are done by then). Recall last year how some of the offensive linemen went to Arizona in July to finish off their workout regiments. That is when Mike Williams lost the last of his weight.

My point being that what Albert did in the month of July does not reflect the rest of his off-season workouts which were with the Redskins. So a month with his trainers is not really enough to off-set the bad work our trainers did with Al the preceeding months.

Haynesworth is letting his coaches and teammates know that he's not a team player.

I think it is a little early to say that. Once training camp starts we will see. When I hear about him outright telling a coach that he refuses to do something a certain way, then I will be screaming to cut him.

It just seems like he has really caught a lot of flak about things that haven't been decided yet. He attended the minicamp, he knows what the coaches want him to work on, and he will (probably) work on them with his personal trainer. He has the desire to win that this franchise needs desperately, I just don't see the issue with this.

He was one of the few players on defense for the Skins that seemed to care at the end of games and at the end of the year. On running plays he moves side to side like a linebacker and on passing plays he collapses the pocket (in both situations typically taking a double team). I have never seen from Haynesworth anything CLOSE to being lack of effort on the field.

not a lack of effort as much as it is a lack of conditioning. Proven by the fact that they had to darn-near cart him off the field like every 4 plays.

I'm totally fine with him doing this.

BUT I'll tell you what....there better not be anymore falling on the field like he's had a massive heart attack.

If he's making the excuse that he wasn't in the best shape last year because he worked out with the team, he better be in shape this year if he's doing his own thing.

But if its gonna make him better I don't see why you would have a problem with this..other than the fact that he would be away his teammates and whatnot...with Al i don't think thats a big deal though.

Ok...then what if Orakpo wanted to do it? Also, what if Carter, Fletcher, Portis, Landry, Cooley, Moss, and Hall wanted to go off and train without the team? Would it still be ok?

Why is it ok for Haynesworth? Is it just because it's one player?

great read as usual. I disagree with you slightly about the fact that his only being present for one day makes him "seperate from the team". Many players only attended the first day. Also the misconception about his effort level is staggering.

Let me put it this way, by the end of last season, I had players like Phillip Daniels and Cornelius Griffin telling me, "Some guys need to learn to play hurt. They need to realize that them at 80 percent is better than a backup at 100 percent." That's the basic message I got from two of his peers on the defensive line.

That's not me questioning his effort. That's the guys who line up next to him on Sundays. So yeah, I have a hard time sitting quietly when he wants to go off and do his own thing. Why should I be okay with him skipping team events or blowing off the new head coach without ever giving the man a chance?

Shanahan has two rings. How many does Haynesworth have?

Archived