Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Haynesworth sends a clear message

themurf

Hunh? My point is he did work out with his trainers last year, completely contrary to what he's saying now. Whether he stuck with them, that's his problem and/or lack of discipline. He's a professional athlete, not a desk jockey.

I make light of Haynesworth's conditioning because the dude flopped like a fish at least once almost every game. You mean to tell me a professional athlete getting paid $41m guaranteed can't even bother to be aerobically in good enough shape to make it through a ****ing game?

Mike Williams and Albert Haynesworth are two big men, agree? But the type of exertion they put out on the playing field is different?

Big Al may have had a problem with the weather conditions, don't know. But all I am saying is we pay him to perform more on the field of play than off. If he thinks his game can be raised to another level then let him explore something that has worked for him in the past.

Screw the media and their innuendo. I know this is not a popular thing to say but it has merit. The media are the ones that jump on this with the idea of creating dissension.

The whole team-building, comraderie, chemistry thing is the main issue with his approach. Again if he dominates none of this matters as all will be forgiven and forgotten.

Warpath 11, this is the bottom line as you stated: "if he dominates none of this matters as all will be forgiven and forgotten".

Couldn't agree more. Let the man do what he thinks is best for him.

Although I have advocated for trading Haynesworth this offseason, I'm behind him on this one.

He's one of the best defensive players in the league when he prepares like one, and team workouts aren't going to get you to that point. Specialized work outs by a renowned trainer are much more effective at getting into the physical shape you want to be.

As for chemistry and loyalty, that can be developed in training camp. Right now, Albert is focused on getting back to being of the most dominant players in the league, and he's going about it the right way.

To me, there's no message being sent.

...then how come he was the only player sprawled out on the field gasping for air like a blowfish every few plays? If the other players had the same team trainers and worked out on thier own in July before camp, then how come they didn't have these dramatic episodes? Its becoming a circular argument, however Al's excuses doesn't line up no matter which way you look at it.

In any case, he wasn't satisfied with his performance last season and is doing what he can to address it. I'm not sure what there is to complain about that, unless he DOESN'T take care of business. But, I don't see evidence of that yet.

so if he makes it to every other redskins related workout practice ota whatever we call it, are we still gonna be critical of this man??? lets see how the rest of the offseason goes before calling this man selfish, not a team player, etc.

Im not saying he is excluded from needing to be there...im saying....relaxxxxx

I know he didnt have a spectacular season but im concerned with a lot more things other than attendance at a march workout session

Actually if you guys can read, HE Worked out with the team last year.

This guy better be in great shape when training camp and the season starts. He better not be faking injuries because he's tired and needs to leave the game. From hearing other players talk the workouts are completely different than last year and are way tougher. Apparently they could do whatever they wanted during workouts last year and this year there are set things they have to do. He won't be here next year if he doesn't shape up the Cap Ninja Bruce Allen has seen to that with what he did with D Hall's and Fat Al's contracts

Screw the media and their innuendo. I know this is not a popular thing to say but it has merit. The media are the ones that jump on this with the idea of creating dissension.

Out of curiosity, should me an my innuendo be on the "screw" list in this case? By writing this article am I out to create dissension?

Out of curiosity, should me an my innuendo be on the "screw" list in this case? By writing this article am I out to create dissension?

Yo, Murf, yu the man! I too worked in the media and was playing the devil's advocate, trying to keep the natives (Indians) down from uprising and storming the fort. LOL

Look, why don't we all just come on out and say it! Stop all the "there's no I in Team" crap and all the "Trade him, Cut him" non-sense.... Seriously!

Just come out and say that you don't like the fact that the guy got a $100 Million contract. A contract that he will either never see the end of or never receive the full amount, due to incentives not being met. Only $40 million of it is guaranteed right? You blame Vinny for him being here. You don't like him because he "appears" to be the typical me first type of player. He "appears" to take off one too many plays. I mean battling +370lb offensive lineman sometimes two at a time, I can see why the guy gets winded. If he's as aggressive as he appears to be and is said to be. I don't think he's just taking plays off just for the hell of it. I'm sure he's going balls to the wall, 110% on every play and to somehow negate that and just assume he's just out of shape is a bit over reaching. It's obvious thus far the man prides himself on being the best. Don't expect every marquee player to be humble and all "Golly G...Shucks" type of person! We have London Fletcher...they broke the mold!

What the heck is wrong for wanting to be the best at your position? What's wrong with admitting that? Really? Everyone wants to find a reason to find him and his contract as source of the Redskins problems. All I hear on here is that we need Team Players... Let me tell you something....this isn't "Friday Night Lights", "Rudy" or "Remember the Titans" this is the Damn NFL!!! You need Play-Makers/Superstars to go along with all these Team Players everyone seems to think we need more of.

Without Richard Dent the Bears Defense would not have been so feared. Without Lawrence Taylor the Dominating D of the New York Giants would have never been known. Without Ray Lewis the Ravens D would be ordinary. Without these guys minus one or two from their respective Defenses are ordinary and full of what....TEAM PLAYERS!!! Stop comparing players of today to the Redskin teams of the past that once again "appeared" to be diva free.

Al made plans based off of the regime last season. He obviously thought the conditioning program was a joke, we're finding out now exactly how much of a joke it really was. So he enlisted a personal trainer. Yeah, he could have made a compromise with the new regime as far as the conditioning program went but he's trying to get back to his Top DT in the NFL form. He's showing the desire and the drive to be better and get better. Which is far better than what most guys do. Some who expect to get by on sheer talent alone. For him to show the initiative to want to better himself and strive to be the best in the game should not be frowned upon and seen as a negative. And yes absolutely....Orakpo and Carter benefited from Big All being here on more than one occasion last season. If he wasn't here Orakpo could have either struggled and you guys would have labeled him a bust or he would not have had great numbers right off the bat.

....Come on bro. Samuels, Dockery, Daniels - those guys are 300+ yet they were straight. eeehh, IDK man, he just need to make sure that his fanny is in better shape this time around.

This is true, of course. However, how many of them faced double and sometimes triple teams on pretty much every single down? Going up against 600 and 1,000 plus lbs of offensive linemen on a consistent basis is going to tire most people out at some point. Looking at the post from copied earlier, Haynseworth played a very respectable number of downs compared with other top DTs.

Your just making something big out of nothing, everyone is bashing Lavar for goin at AH, your doin the same thing. its only mid March and its only workouts not practise. There is still 2weeks of OTAs, 3 Minicamps and the training camp left for AH to show up, so you might've pulled the trigger to early on him. Your like calling him selfish and not a team player because hes decided to lift weights by himself? come on man, just relax.

Your just making something big out of nothing, everyone is bashing Lavar for goin at AH, your doin the same thing. its only mid March and its only workouts not practise. There is still 2weeks of OTAs, 3 Minicamps and the training camp left for AH to show up, so you might've pulled the trigger to early on him. Your like calling him selfish and not a team player because hes decided to lift weights by himself? come on man, just relax.

Here's the funny thing about running a sports blog - you've got to have an opinion. It does no good to come out and say a bunch of nothing. I would never write something simply to get a reaction, but if I feel strongly about something - in this case Haynesworth putting himself over his team - then I'm going to write about it.

I've got no issue with folks who disagree. Hell, that's why I post stuff here, in hopes of sparking intelligent football conversation. It's the mouthbreathers who claim I have a hidden agenda that crack me up. I've been around here long enough that folks should know better than that.

When it came to these voluntary team workouts, the only thing that really bothered me about player participation in the past was when players would not show up and the coaches never heard from them, didn't know where they were, etc, etc...The prevailing thoughts around those times in the past were usually "You could at LEAST call your head coach and let him know why you're not there!!"...Not contacting or informing your head coach of your participation (or lack thereof) in these voluntary workouts just reeked if disrespect.

That's not the case here, so I don't find myself thinking Haynesworth is somehow placing himself separate from the team. Nor do I find myself thinking he's disrespecting Shanahan, because he clearly had the needed communication and discussions with him beforehand.

I honestly feel far more is being made of this than there needs to be at this point.

When it came to these voluntary team workouts, the only thing that really bothered me about player participation in the past was when players would not show up and the coaches never heard from them, didn't know where they were, etc, etc...The prevailing thoughts around those times in the past were usually "You could at LEAST call your head coach and let him know why you're not there!!"...Not contacting or informing your head coach of your participation (or lack thereof) in these voluntary workouts just reeked if disrespect.

That's not the case here, so I don't find myself thinking Haynesworth is somehow placing himself separate from the team. Nor do I find myself thinking he's disrespecting Shanahan, because he clearly had the needed communication and discussions with him beforehand.

I honestly feel far more is being made of this than there needs to be at this point.

You have a valid point. However, I don't think it would be much of an issue had he a better reputation. In my mind and in the minds of many, he has done absolutely NOTHING to warrant any sort of benefit-of-the-doubt. Think about it, had it been Fletcher, it would have been basically non-story.

Not sure why fans continue to think the value of the contract equals the level of leadership the person should bring. If that the case Fletcher gets a $100 million a season. It just doesn't work like that.

Now the things I would do for a 100 million...

I would like to feel Al feels the pressure of that big contract equalling him being the best DT in the league. He wasn't that last year, so he is going back to what has worked for him in the past. Give him a break for now, but if he is sucking wind again, there should be hell to pay!

You have a valid point. However, I don't think it would be much of an issue had he a better reputation. In my mind and in the minds of many, he has done absolutely NOTHING to warrant any sort of benefit-of-the-doubt. Think about it, had it been Fletcher, it would have been basically non-story.

Oh, definitely, our perceptions of the player plays a role in what we're willing to afford them and what we are not. For me individually, though, Haynesworth's perception as a team player and individual doesn't really effect the things that tended to matter to me the most. Apparently Haynesworth really DID talk with Shanahan beforehand and they really DID tell each other that while the two men don't agree they respect where each other is coming from. So there's nothing I have to give AH the benefit of the doubt about.

It would be different if Shanahan said he wasn't informed by AH ahead of time and Haynesworth claimed he really did tell Shanny beforehand. In a case like that, "benefit of the doubt" and player/coach perceptions would play a role in how I viewed the whole thing.

Shanahan asked for full participating, making a point to specifically mention his expectations regarding his team leaders, and Haynesworth bailed after 24 hours. Because he told Shanahan he was leaving doesn't mean he's a team player.

He still walked away from his teammates who are putting in the time and developing that bond. None of them want to be there, but they're doing it because they trust Shanahan and want to see this team return to relevance. He, as has been the case since day one, is only interested in Albert Haynesworth.

Not sure why fans continue to think the value of the contract equals the level of leadership the person should bring. If that the case Fletcher gets a $100 million a season. It just doesn't work like that.

You know how they say "With great power, comes great responsibility," in those Spider-Man movies? It's kinda like that when you sign one of the biggest contracts in professional sports history. You're kinda sorta expected to have a positive impact on and off the field. Crazy talk, I know. But that's why you get the big paychecks.

My advice? Turn down all that money and slack off however you like. Then no one will care.

Archived