Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI - Strong showing for Shanahan's first workout

TSO

Sounds good. But everyone must keep in mind that Marty was well received at this point too by players and fans. Then a hard ass training camp soured the players and the team struggling early soured some fans. This is a process. I like the respect Shanahan commands and how everyone is falling in line right now but that won't necessarily translate to wins come the Fall. Shanahan and Allen still have alot of work to do in raising the talent level that they've inherited from the last couple of regimes.

We only have 5 (five) picks in the draft. We can't address everything in the draft with 5 picks.

We can't get two starting quality tackels and a starting guard with 5 picks. Its just not gonna happen. We need to pick up some guys who can hold down the fort for a year or two, and we aren't doing it.

We need a starting OLT but we have the bodies to put together a competitive offensive line .

Our OL was terrible last year but the main problem was not necessarily the lack of talent but the lack of a plan and the 17 different lineups over 12 games .

We could use an upgrade at specific positions but what killed us last year was when Thomas and Samuels went down their direct replacements were not ready to step up . In the case of Samuels we simply didn't have a replacement but Thomas should have been easier to replace but the conditioning of the back ups was simply not there .

My draft I would pick up and OLT in the 1st and then another RT prospect around 4-5th round or maybe a RG depending on the talent . That gives the 2nd 4/5 and 7th round for other positions . including RB, ILB and maybe a QB ..

shows what a real head coach can do to a team.

he's certainly the primary cog...but you're missing the wider point that this is Allen operating with ownership backing to change the culture. Everyone knows that even before restructuring the roster that the culture had to be changed first. And Allen started that on the flight home from San Diego.

Very happy that the guys are meeting up finally. All training together. Landry was there, very good news. Portis also. I agree we still need to draft a LT with number 4 or trade back if Okung isn't there. I also like that everything is being kept "in house" Seems like the players really respect him. Even if this doesn't translate to immediate wins, alot of mental healing is taking place right now for players and fans.

Who cares if these guys turned up at a voluntary practice ... they are still lousy players or primadonnas. Skins need to be blown-up and rebuilt. I hope they Draft a QB and RB in the first two rounds.

I care that they showed up, it shows things have changed. Lousy FO+Lousy coaching = lousy players. Skins need to be re-tooled. I hope they draft LT, QB and a late round RB(something Shanny is known for)

from the post article......

Hall told the Post that Shanahan, who had the Redskins' workout rooms redesigned, has brought a sense of professionalism and expectations for winning that were absent before:

"The main thing he stressed in this thing was, 'Hey, I want you guys to win and I want you guys fresh.' He said he's not about beating people up. He's about getting good work done, getting the hell out of there and winning games. He said he's got to keep us fresh. And from that point on, I think everybody was like, 'Hell yeah!'

"Everybody was thinking that with Mike Shanahan here, it was about old school two-a-day practices and beating guys up. He's about just having grown men doing their jobs. From the jump, he had guys like, 'Hell yeah!" From the jump."

We only have 5 (five) picks in the draft. We can't address everything in the draft with 5 picks.

We can't get two starting quality tackels and a starting guard with 5 picks. Its just not gonna happen. We need to pick up some guys who can hold down the fort for a year or two, and we aren't doing it.

I believe Allen commented and said something to the effect that free agency last basically all offseason.

We still have a draft, and then teams will most likely cut more players after the draft.

Really, there is a whole spring and summer to find linemen. The UFA that have been available have not been awe inspiring, and in Clifton's case, not worth the contract he ended up signing.

Free agency is barely over two weeks old, and the team is taking a low key, long term approach to the roster's construction. This is not the Vinny show where you sign anyone and everyone regardless of fit or expense.

Who cares if these guys turned up at a voluntary practice ... they are still lousy players or primadonnas. Skins need to be blown-up and rebuilt. I hope they Draft a QB and RB in the first two rounds.

And enter Debbie Downer! Right on time! How many teams have you coached to a Super Bowl again? Yeah I will defer to the guy that has. I'm drinking the Kool-Aid!!

I believe Allen commented and said something to the effect that free agency last basically all offseason.

I understand this but the pickings are only getting slimer. You are not gonna find a prom queen by waiting until the night before the prom to start looking.

We still have a draft, and then teams will most likely cut more players after the draft.

Great! Lets pin our hopes on other teams garbage. :thumbsup:

Really, there is a whole spring and summer to find linemen. The UFA that have been available have not been awe inspiring, and in Clifton's case, not worth the contract he ended up signing.

The policy of: Lets just put together a rag tag, average group of O-linemen and coach them up, has worked so well for us over the past several years, lets just continue to do it.

Free agency is barely over two weeks old, and the team is taking a low key, long term approach to the roster's construction. This is not the Vinny show where you sign anyone and everyone regardless of fit or expense.

Long term approach? If you go strickley by the signings they have made, this team done just the opposite.

The NT we signed from Carolina is over 30 and coming off a major injury. At best we can hope to get maybe 3 great years out of him and maybe a 1 to 2 more good ones, and that's if the football Gods smile down upon us and him.

The OG we signed, while younger is not a long term solution rather a short term answer to a long term problem.

Please understand, that I like ther general overall direction this team is headed in. I am extremely happy that accountability is back in D.C. I am happy we have gotten a lot younger and got rid of a lot of eventual dead cap hits. However, there has to be more short term moves made. Not breaking the bank, but some actual moves to put a team on the field that can compete while still rebuilding. I just don't see that happening.

We need a starting OLT but we have the bodies to put together a competitive offensive line .

Our OL was terrible last year but the main problem was not necessarily the lack of talent but the lack of a plan and the 17 different lineups over 12 games .

We could use an upgrade at specific positions but what killed us last year was when Thomas and Samuels went down their direct replacements were not ready to step up . In the case of Samuels we simply didn't have a replacement but Thomas should have been easier to replace but the conditioning of the back ups was simply not there .

My draft I would pick up and OLT in the 1st and then another RT prospect around 4-5th round or maybe a RG depending on the talent . That gives the 2nd 4/5 and 7th round for other positions . including RB, ILB and maybe a QB ..

These are very good points. I do think that if we us our 1st rd pick on a tackle and then one of the middle round picks on the other tackle, we might be able to get buy. I just don't see that happening. Maybe it’s because I'm so used to seeing Vinny go for the prime time player and neglect the guys in trenches who win and lose football games.

This signing of MS is the best thing for the skins, the players respect him, the fans on the whole seem to want him here, but its the players attitude that i love, the players want to play for him and then they will want to win for him too, this is the beginning of the re-entry of the skins back as a football power

agreed Aussieskin ... no matter what any player said in the past, its just the way it is. No offense to Zorn, he just had no experience. Its hard to lead men as a HC, when you're also a rookie on the job.

We DO have talent, it just needs to be utilized and I have no doubt that Mike Shanahan can not only coach up the younger players who need to learn and develop themselves, but to urge the veterans on this team to become true leaders for the young guys.

While I am not suggesting we don't still have a lot of work to do ... we ARE heading in the right direction. We will be disciplined, we will be prepared and we will be prepared enough to make whatever game time adjustments are necessary during the season to compete at a high level and be in a position ow win games. Coach Shanahan will leave no stone unturned, and I expect him to prepare this team to be ready for every game time situation imaginable.

HAIL!

I'm extremely excited about the new attitude. I'm still concerned about the fact that we don't have an O-Line.

This is the biggest weakness on this team, and nothing is being done to address it.

Before the draft and FA' is over, I expect no less then 4 more O-linemen added to this team. NO way is Mike Shanahan going into the season with this O-line. Allen and Shanny are not signing players just because their available, their waiting for the right players who will be a big part in the over all scheme.

Shanahan has said numerous times that this thing isn't going to be fixed overnight, its going to take time ... FA'cy doesn't end until the beginning of training camp.

This isn't just about next year, its about making sound decisions for the betterment of this team for the future.

I'm sure we will address the OL in the draft and will have some serious competition. Also, no one is debating our OL was the worst last year, but that doesn't mean that with better coaching and a different offensive scheme that we don't have any potential there already. Just give it time and let's see how everything shakes out by training camp before we start throwing our hands in the air. HAIL.

Please understand, that I like ther general overall direction this team is headed in. I am extremely happy that accountability is back in D.C. I am happy we have gotten a lot younger and got rid of a lot of eventual dead cap hits. However, there has to be more short term moves made. Not breaking the bank, but some actual moves to put a team on the field that can compete while still rebuilding. I just don't see that happening.

How are we to expect to find "the answer" in this less than stellar group of no cap free agents?

Are we to trade away picks to acquire restricted free agents just to satisfy this fan hunger for fast food?

Impulse buying is not the answer for long term productivity and stability. This team is not going to get young and good overnight.

"Big Time" players are not going to sign on the cheap as a short term fix while a team rebuilds with young guys.

You look for guys who have enough coachable talent to be useful, have enough "want" to work hard, compete for their positions and have the potential gel as a team.

All of this is getting me so excited. I am slightly worried about our o-line but I am not going to stress because I honestly feel that MS will take care of it before the season. I really hope we go LT in the draft. Draft is only a little over a month away....CANT WAIT!

:)

anyone else get goose bumps?

Looking forward to a fresh start.. I've had a grey streak in my hair, since my earlier 20's, that I'm pretty sure was caused by Burgandgolditus. Or was it Cerratis?

Hail!

I am so excited about the direction this team is going and it has been a long time since we were "winners." We Redskins fans deserve it.

Also, I'm hoping some part of the new traing facility will be dedicated to making sure there are no hamstring problems this year. Doesn't it seem as if the 'Skins suffered from more hamstring issues than most teams?

Hail!

Archived