Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI - Strong showing for Shanahan's first workout

TSO

Bubba also posted this in the Breaking News section...

In a strong showing of respect for Coach Mike Shanahan, many Washington Redskins veterans who usually skip voluntary workouts were in attendance Monday for the first day of the new conditioning program at Redskins Park.

Clinton Portis, Albert Haynesworth, London Fletcher and LaRon Landry were among the top players who returned to Ashburn for the first team activity under Shanahan, who repeatedly stressed he wanted all of the Redskins' "team leaders" to participate. Apparently, Shanahan's message was well received.

"To see a guy like Fletch, who's never been there but is going to come in in great shape, and to see a guy like LaRon, who's never been there but is going to come in in great shape, to see those guys around, it just let's you know the amount of respect we all have for Coach Shanahan," top cornerback DeAngelo Hall said in a phone interview. "I definitely think a lot of what you saw today just shows how much guys realize who Coach Shanahan is, what he's done in this league and what he wants to do here."

The Redskins declined to make coaches and players available to the media after Monday's meetings. In the weeks preceding the start of the conditioning program, the team also declined to permit Ray Wright, its new lead strength and conditioning coach, to speak with reporters.

It seems Shanahan's commanding presence will be among the main discussion topics for some time at the park.

"When you have a coach in there with his type of record and history throughout his career, I think guys automatically respect that," outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said in a phone interview. "With him coming in, you can already tell there's just a different presence he brings, a different aura, a different leadership quality that I believe that we lacked before.

"Just having that, I think guys respect that. We have guys that normally don't show up for offseason. They begin in shape, but they feel the need to be here. The bigger thing is that people want to win this year after going through a 4-12 season, 0-6 in the NFC East, and I think everyone is ready to cling on and do whatever we have to in order to get back to prominence again."

Shanahan has already put his mark on the weight room as well as the entire complex, players said. "They've moved everything around and everything up there is pretty much new," Alexander said. "They painted the whole facility, changed the weight room around and brought in new equipment.

"They're just trying to start fresh and new. They just want to throw away everything that's happened to us in the past and start all over again. It's about starting from scratch and building a great foundation."

The unfamiliar atmosphere of optimism throughout the building was even more impressive than the improved décor.

"It was all new. From the new, bright, bright walls to the attitude, man," Hall said. "Just the way he [shanahan] presents himself. The way he wants this team to present itself and come out to play. It's just grown men here to do a job, which is win games. And if you ain't with that, you've got to go. No exceptions to the rule."

Although many players considered former Coach Jim Zorn to be a nice guy, the vibe is "just totally different with Coach Shanahan here," Hall said. "Jim Zorn was a first-time coach when he first got the job. Last year, he was going into his second year as an NFL head coach, versus Mike Shanahan, who has won Super Bowls and has coached some of the greatest players to ever play this game. He understands what it takes to coach men.

"The main thing he stressed in this thing was, 'Hey, I want you guys to win and I want you guys fresh.' He said he's not about beating people up. He's about getting good work done, getting the hell out of there and winning games. He said he's got to keep us fresh. And from that point on, I think everybody was like, 'Hell yeah!' Everybody was thinking that with Mike Shanahan here, it was about old school two-a-day practices and beating guys up. He's about just having grown men doing their jobs. From the jump, he had guys like, 'Hell yeah!" From the jump."

The players, however, must do their part to earn Shanahan's continued trust, which is why Monday's event was well attended.

"You saw today that everyone knows Coach Shanahan means business and everyone knows he's a disciplinarian," quarterback Jason Campbell said in a phone interview. "A lot of guys being here at this time of year, getting ready to get started off on the right foot, just goes to show the respect they have for Coach Shanahan.

"When you've got a coach like Coach Shanahan, you know you have to do your part as players to be on the same page and try to put a winning team on field. You can see he's trying to bring that winning attitude."

By Jason Reid | March 15, 2010; 10:25 PM ET

This is good news. A great start to what is, hopefully, a great era of Redskins football. :)

This signing of MS is the best thing for the skins, the players respect him, the fans on the whole seem to want him here, but its the players attitude that i love, the players want to play for him and then they will want to win for him too, this is the beginning of the re-entry of the skins back as a football power

Anybody else notice that there was no mention of Carlos Rogers?

If you had spent half the time you took coming up with that comment as clicking a couple of the threads in the Breaking News section to read about what happened today, you would have already heard that Rogers was at Redskins Park participating.

Probably too much to ask though. Actually reading up on the team.

I love knowing nothing. It's been the best thing thus far about this new regime.

Agreed.

Love the silence.

I saw some of the media is upset by the fact that none of the coaches and players were allowed to talk except for some special exceptions, like this Hall interview.

Well too bad for them. It's lock down at Redskins Park and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

:)

anyone else get goose bumps?

Looking forward to a fresh start.. I've had a grey streak in my hair, since my earlier 20's, that I'm pretty sure was caused by Burgandgolditus. Or was it Cerratis?

Hail!

I'm extremely excited about the new attitude. I'm still concerned about the fact that we don't have an O-Line.

This is the biggest weakness on this team, and nothing is being done to address it.

I'm extremely excited about the new attitude. I'm still concerned about the fact that we don't have an O-Line.

This is the biggest weakness on this team, and nothing is being done to address it.

That's because we haven't picked our 4th overall yet. :)

:rotflmao:

Stone hands is absolutly terrible.

Like someone else asked, I would like to know if any actual football drills were done today? Any passing/catching? Any Running and cutting?

Football work is limited to organised team activity days and training camp. The amount of time and type of work you can do is strictly limited by NFL rules. These sessions are strength and conditioning only.

Football work is limited to organised team activity days and training camp. The amount of time and type of work you can do is strictly limited by NFL rules. These sessions are strength and conditioning only.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they were allowed to due one on one drills with postitional coaches. I guess it makes sense that they can't, I'm just dying to a get read on what Shanny wants and thinks of the QB situation.

That probaby means they plan to address it in the draft.

That probaby means they plan to address it in the draft.

We only have 5 (five) picks in the draft. We can't address everything in the draft with 5 picks.

We can't get two starting quality tackels and a starting guard with 5 picks. Its just not gonna happen. We need to pick up some guys who can hold down the fort for a year or two, and we aren't doing it.

Archived