Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI - Strong showing for Shanahan's first workout

TSO

I understand this but the pickings are only getting slimer. You are not gonna find a prom queen by waiting until the night before the prom to start looking.

This isn't technically correct. People can still be cut. June 1st usually yields quite a few decent free agents. We also still have the draft. The counting on other team's trash is moot anyways, because isn't that what we'd be doing in free agency anyways? Not everyone that's not resigned or released is garbage.

The policy of: Lets just put together a rag tag, average group of O-linemen and coach them up, has worked so well for us over the past several years, lets just continue to do it.

You're freaking out over nothing at this point.

Shanahan is doing what Gordon Ramsey does in Kitchen Nightmares lol.

Ha! Good analogy! Shanny is changing the menu (the playbook), the ingredients (the players), and giving the restaurant (training facility) a facelift. It’s Franchise Nightmare!

The only difference is that Shanny’s face doesn’t look like an old catcher’s mitt like Ramsey’s!

Hopefully this continues all offseason. Hopefully these guys realize that after a 4-12 season that their way isn't working. Its also helps that Shanahan instantly commands respect and that its his way or the highway. Obviously he isn't scared to cut Vets and I imagine guys like Clinton and Laron who liked to buck the system in previous years realize that crap won't float with Shanny. Especially Landry who wouldn't show up in the offseason and then would ignore the coach's phone calls.

I understand this but the pickings are only getting slimer. You are not gonna find a prom queen by waiting until the night before the prom to start looking.

Great! Lets pin our hopes on other teams garbage. :thumbsup:

The policy of: Lets just put together a rag tag, average group of O-linemen and coach them up, has worked so well for us over the past several years, lets just continue to do it.

Long term approach? If you go strickley by the signings they have made, this team done just the opposite.

The NT we signed from Carolina is over 30 and coming off a major injury. At best we can hope to get maybe 3 great years out of him and maybe a 1 to 2 more good ones, and that's if the football Gods smile down upon us and him.

The OG we signed, while younger is not a long term solution rather a short term answer to a long term problem.

Please understand, that I like ther general overall direction this team is headed in. I am extremely happy that accountability is back in D.C. I am happy we have gotten a lot younger and got rid of a lot of eventual dead cap hits. However, there has to be more short term moves made. Not breaking the bank, but some actual moves to put a team on the field that can compete while still rebuilding. I just don't see that happening.

Well please enlighten us as to who you would have signed that was available.

Would you have overpaid to the tune of nearly 8 million per year for Clifton?

Once again, the UFA class is very thin, and the talent level is not what one would expect. So do you overpay, and possibly hamstring yourself with those salaries against the cap when the CBA is negotiated? Do you trade what few draft picks you have for RFA?

Or do you quietly go about your business, speak with other teams, and maybe draft the OLine, pick up some of the RFA after some will be released?

I eagerly anticipate your enlightened stance on just how we are supposed to fix a line in a single offseason that has been neglected for nearly a decade.

And who is to say this team won't be competitive?

The personell signed so far this offseason, have been UFA. ( not many of them will be young, since they need six seasons to qualify) That's not to say a trade might take place closer to the draft. But your diatribe reminds me of Vinny.

Sounds good. But everyone must keep in mind that Marty was well received at this point too by players and fans. Then a hard ass training camp soured the players and the team struggling early soured some fans. This is a process. I like the respect Shanahan commands and how everyone is falling in line right now but that won't necessarily translate to wins come the Fall. Shanahan and Allen still have alot of work to do in raising the talent level that they've inherited from the last couple of regimes.

Marty never won a SB. Big difference there. It would be like Wade Phillips and Bill Belichick. Who gets more respect?

Please understand, that I like ther general overall direction this team is headed in. I am extremely happy that accountability is back in D.C. I am happy we have gotten a lot younger and got rid of a lot of eventual dead cap hits. However, there has to be more short term moves made. Not breaking the bank, but some actual moves to put a team on the field that can compete while still rebuilding. I just don't see that happening.

I think you are way too impatient. This team will not be rebuilt in 1 year. If you thought that, you are only fooling yourself. This team needs at least 2 good drafts to compete for a SB. I think with the changes made this year, there is no reason to believe this team can't improve to 7-9 or 8-8.

Some things that I look for in this year's improvement: More scoring from the offense (more ball control, TD's and not having the opponents know what we will run before the ball is snapped), better line play (decreasing sacks and increasing running yardage) and being more competative in every game (i.e. the team doesn't look like a bunch of clueless fools on the field)

But your diatribe reminds me of Vinny.

Really? Me saying that I WANT to address the O-Line reminds you of Vinny? That fact that I'm saying that I don't want to overspend, and want to really address the line in the draft reminds you of Vinny? The fact that I'm concerned that we will try to get by with average or below O-linemen again and will have another losing season because of it reminds you of Vinny.

Well obviously you don't know crap about football or the Washington Redskins, but thanks for playing.

:stupid:

I think you are way too impatient. This team will not be rebuilt in 1 year. If you thought that, you are only fooling yourself. This team needs at least 2 good drafts to compete for a SB. I think with the changes made this year, there is no reason to believe this team can't improve to 7-9 or 8-8.

I agree that we are atleast two years away from being a serious contender and I'm not expecting us to rebuild this team in 1 year. However, I do think that we should be looking to bring in some veterans at reasonable prices for short two year contracts, while the guys we draft have a chance to learn and get ready.

We are not going to sign a bunch of 3-5 rd linemen and expect them to all come right in and play. It will take time for some of them to work out, while others will not work out and be off the team in 2-3 years. We need something to hold the team together in the mean time.

Ahhh, the daniel snyder hope machine back in action..

(No I'm not actually being this negative but I am still holding out for actual results before jumping enthusiastically on the train)

;)

Fixed. If anything, we are the champions of hope during the offseason.

Fixed. If anything, we are the champions of hope during the offseason.

As a season ticket holder for 33 years now, I have lived in the world of hope, and have also reaped great rewards and memories. That is why I refuse to accept all the doomsayer talk. I also refuse to accept all this talk about how this coming year is going to result in something like 8-8 at best. We can win the Super Bowl. All those who cannot believe that possible are hopeless. But, even the hopeless can be saved.

Really? Me saying that I WANT to address the O-Line reminds you of Vinny? That fact that I'm saying that I don't want to overspend, and want to really address the line in the draft reminds you of Vinny? The fact that I'm concerned that we will try to get by with average or below O-linemen again and will have another losing season because of it reminds you of Vinny.

Well obviously you don't know crap about football or the Washington Redskins, but thanks for playing.

:stupid:

I agree that we are atleast two years away from being a serious contender and I'm not expecting us to rebuild this team in 1 year. However, I do think that we should be looking to bring in some veterans at reasonable prices for short two year contracts, while the guys we draft have a chance to learn and get ready.

We are not going to sign a bunch of 3-5 rd linemen and expect them to all come right in and play. It will take time for some of them to work out, while others will not work out and be off the team in 2-3 years. We need something to hold the team together in the mean time.

Ok well let's make a comparison.

There are really no available UFA available, and the RFA that are available will cost draft picks. The UFA are wanting a big payday. Free agency is still in it's early stages, but you are fretting that no offensive linemen have been signed. You still have not said what you would have done differently, just that something should have been done, apparently to appease a fan base used to big signings early in the offseason. ( sounds like Vinny to me, and he like you must have very little knowledge of football)

As has been stated ad nauseum, free agency last till training camp. The team has taken a slow and steady approach, and did not want to overspend in a shallow free agent pool. ( why you can't understand that is beyond me but it sure sounds like a Vinny move to me)

Neither you nor I are privy to the inner machinations of the team. We don't know the internal conversations, or talks with other teams concerning trades. Simply put, we dont' know what they are going to do. I however, think it's a breath of fresh air to see some restraint. You, judging by the tenor of your inane diatribes feel it's better to sign aging vets to overpriced contracts. ( sounds like a Vinny move to me)

so, please enlighten us and let us all bask in the glow of your knowledge. What would you have done? Who would you sign, and keeping in mind the cap is most likely coming back. Remember we have a limited number of draft picks so the RFA market is a challenge. The UFA market is players with at least six years of experience. Meaning, you won't find many under 30, so they are stopgaps at best. But do you overpay like Vinny does?

So please enlighten us O' football guru.

Hicks- 31 year old lineman that has been injury free unlike Randy Thomas at 34 years old. Solid signing can play G/T.

Maake K- 1 year NT until we can draft one

L Johnson- 3 yrs backup RB in case CP falters. Great pickup IMO. Low dollars also

Grossman- just signed. knows the system of Kyle Shanny. Low dollars.

Looking at Porter who can come in to play OLB in our 3-4 and has 26 sacks the last 2 years

Hope this convinces you they are looking at Free agency. Go to NFL.com and look at all the players under the free agent tracker. Most are RFA's due to the CBA and the ones that are UFAs are old or cost too much money.

As a season ticket holder for 33 years now, I have lived in the world of hope, and have also reaped great rewards and memories. That is why I refuse to accept all the doomsayer talk. I also refuse to accept all this talk about how this coming year is going to result in something like 8-8 at best. We can win the Super Bowl. All those who cannot believe that possible are hopeless. But, even the hopeless can be saved.

Nothing wrong with being positive. There is nothing I want more than for us to win.

Archived