Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Believe in Clinton Portis for 2010??

COWBOY-KILLA-

Do the Redskins Trade up to #1 for Bradford if he has a great ProDay  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Redskins Trade up to #1 for Bradford if he has a great ProDay

• Yes- it will cost us- but we will
    • No- We will settle for Clausen or Okung at 4

Alright Ladies and Gents,

We all know he hasn't worked as hard as he could have over the years and that it has effected his game towards the end of his good seasons.

Even still he has been a great Redskin imo, he was part of the group that brought the Redskins back to relevance with Gibbs 2.0 and was key to 2 playoff runs. He really didn't play great last season then got hurt. So...

Just before minicamps begin I'd like to take a gauge of whether or not Redskins fans believe in Clinton Portis for the 2010 season??

Will he get it done?? Will he play well and be a key contributor??

Will he completely disappoint?? We he even be on the team??

No, he's lost me. I want to be wrong, but it's not just his performance that stinks. He threw his team under the bus. Many of his teammates this offseason have spoken ill of him. He's getting into fights with players. And last year for the first time, he gave little effort on the field.

I think he'll make a show of trying to be good for a while, but then his true colors will emerge again. There were too many players who bad mouthed him. He's been a bad running back for a year and a half... and if you think about it, he was sold to us as a home run hitter, a guy with great speed who take it all the way on any given play. Except for his first game, that guy has rarely existed. We saw some power, some drive, but he was like an Eddie George for us. I think the reason that homerun hitter disappeared is because he has never done his work in practice or the offseason and has always lacked the endurance to get it done. I believe that's why he has always faltered and got hurt at the end of almost every season.

Even his greatest season, he ended the season with multiple injuries and gutted it through. He was a very gifted natural athlete who has always relied on his gifts. His line about instincts was incredibly telling and insulting.

and if you think about it, he was sold to us as a home run hitter, a guy with great speed who take it all the way on any given play. Except for his first game, that guy has rarely existed.
Really? Im not a huge fan of Portis as of late but in 6 seasons with us he has averaged 1100 yards a season regardless of his injuries...that's pretty good in my opinion. Also that's only playing in 8 games two of those seasons. Put your pipe down man lol http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3579

*edit* i know that he carried the ball a lot more then most but only two seasons with us he didnt get at least 4.0 ypc, and thats including this last season...he had 4.0

He may not take it to the hole but i'll be damned is he hasn't been trying lol

With a good O-line, I think he has a fair shot at the rushing title this season. Loved or not the guy averaged 1100 yards behind some pretty bad O-lines. I like the entire backfield this year with Johnson and Alridge, with a lil work on ball control, Alridge could demolish defenses with his speed. Especialy late in a game after a one two punch with Portis and Johnson.

Nothing would be better for us, than seeing him play with a muzzle over his mouth, and a fire under his ass. I expect Shans to help him in both of those areas. Signing Johnson provides the fire. Two former top RB's trying to show each other up, is a GOOD thing.

Besides, all the Drama Queen Portis vs Drama Queen Riggins debates could be quite entertaining.

So, my guess is, Clinton becomes Alltime Redskins Yardage King, on his way to a very good year.

Sorry but no. Two major issues.

1. He couldn't beat Sellers down the field so I think he's lost a step.

2. He's likely to have another concussion or he'll be worried about it and probably run softer.

So that leaves us with a slow, tenative CP. Hope he proves me wrong. I think he'll be fine for the first four games. Then he'll start to break down and we'll be without the most entertaining RB we've had since Riggo.

CP is one concussion away from being done remember that...I think the fact that L. Johnson's contract was for 3 years tells us the FO is aware of the mortality of CP...I think this is his last year in Washington....also think that we could have signed Thomas Jones he accpepted less years and money to sign with KC...2yrs 5 million...why didn't we offer the 3 yrs and 12 milllion to Jones instead of LJ? Just a question.

I didn't vote because I think it'll be between Return to Glory and Just Average.

He'll be a part of a system and will not get the ball as often which may lead to fewer yards and TD's especially if LJ becomes the short yardage guy.

However I think his per carry average will be up form the last two years and come the end of the season he'll still be healthy and effective.

I think it is good that LJ is in to provided competition to Portis. I have a feeling both backs will come in and be in good shape. I don't think either will put up huge numbers individually, but collectively they could be a nice duo. I think they will go as far as their OL takes them....

If he keeps he practices and gives his all without complaining about other people, he'll have a good season. His 1000+ yard years are most likely a thing of the past, but he can be a solid back to hold us over until a new young guy can take over.

That said, he'll never be the team leader he was during the Gibbs years. He's too much of a prima dona to command the respect of the locker room anymore.

Archived