Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

per: PFT Skins Sign Larry Johnson to a three yr. deal

cmoskins80

I'm down with this signing. Now I'd like to see who scat back will be for the 3 headed monster we're trying to build.

Would like a low round draft pick or a UDFA. Willie Parker would be beautiful overkill. :D

Agreed (except for adding Parker) and hope Shanahan finds a mid to late rounder that appeals to him. Sproles would have been the perfect storm

He is a powerful running back. I have no idea why he is considered PAST his prime.

Really? "No idea" why he would be considered past his prime?

After 2 1700+ yard seasons, he's had less than 2000 yards in his last 3 seasons combined. He's at an age where RBs almost always decline. He's been released by a terrible team that he was the face of the franchise for for several years.

I think it's pretty obvious why he's consedred past his prime.

contract dollars and years are meaningless, it's the amount guaranteed and whether it is frontloaded or not.

in that regard the team didn't spend much for Hicks, Kemoeatu or Johnson.

these guys will make money in the uncapped year if healthy and will carry low enough numbers in 2011 (no lockout) or 2012 for the team to part with them when or if necessary.

Part of the reason Johnson looked DONE in KC was that their line disintegrated the past 2-3 years just as the one in Washington did with injuries and retirements.

Let's face it, backs are only as good as the blockers they have in front of them.

If the Redskins don't improve along the OL the backs will be in the 3.5-3.8 yard per carry range. If they do improve, the backs should be in the 4.1-4.4 range.

I like it.

He got a late start backing up Priest Holmes. It was one of the best backs in the league for a few years and KC has nothing around him (but they did have a solid line.)

He has some burst and some power. I like this. Have Portis lose some weight and bring in a young back (or Alridge) for a truly explosive back... pretty solid.

Can't say that I'm thrilled with this, I never really cared for Larry Johnson's mouth while in KC, and now he's worn down. I do trust the new regime however, and will root for Larry just like the rest of the team.

I wonder if this signing is meant to ratchet up the pressure on Mr Portis to perform this year? Johnson could be their insurance policy.

This from Schefter...

Adam_Schefter

Larry Johnson's deal in Washington: three years, $3.5 million total -- with incentives that could take it up to $12 million.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Three years for 3.5 million?

I don't get this signing at all, in fact I'm pretty sure Larry Johnson is as washed up as possible, but that's a pretty fair deal.

UPDATE: A league source tells PFT's Mike Florio that Johnson can earn up to $12 million over three years.

Considering what we usually spend in free agency, we just got a bargain. And the key words are "up to." I'm sure there's a parachute clause in the fine print. And if he meets certain performance targets, he was worth it anyway.

These mid free agency picks are FAR more healthy to the club than the usual crap. Thank God for Shanny and a real GM!

Archived